Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-15-2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb557 View Post
Thanks! Live on the west side. Interview is in Chatsworth
WHOA! You just keep making me happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2021, 7:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc625 View Post
Wow, finally west side is getting some love. Congrats brother. Did you get the call in the afternoon?
Thanks! Actually received the call late morning. Almost didn't get to the phone on time!
Old 06-15-2021, 7:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
WHOA! You just keep making me happy.

I'm here to help!
Old 06-15-2021, 7:27 PM

Quote:
I misunderstood the OP's question. If he is walking with the backpack then it is illegal per May 2016 CA ruling.
I was asking in that I have a full sized gun that I put on the ccw list but wasn't planning on every concealing. However, if a backpack counts, as it appears it does, then I will put it on the list. Definitely won't ever iwb it but the option to put it in my bag would be nice and worth the extra $20.
Old 06-15-2021, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreegs View Post
I was asking in that I have a full sized gun that I put on the ccw list but wasn't planning on every concealing. However, if a backpack counts, as it appears it does, then I will put it on the list. Definitely won't ever iwb it but the option to put it in my bag would be nice and worth the extra $20.
You could also carry it in an OWB holster in the winter.

Old 06-15-2021, 7:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreegs View Post
For your stated purpose, once you have your permit, you can legally carry your loaded gun in your backpack and it will be considered concealed. I personally would just go with an OWB holster. It's not as difficult to conceal carry a full size gun as you might think.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 06-15-2021, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
For your stated purpose, once you have your permit, you can legally carry your loaded gun in your backpack and it will be considered concealed. I personally would just go with an OWB holster. It's not as difficult to conceal carry a full size gun as you might think.
Thanks. I will mainly be carrying iwb, if issued. I was thinking the rare times I may want the option to throw a different gun in a bag during hiking/etc. and not necessarily carry on the belt, it would probably make sense to put it down for the measly $20 addition.
Old 06-15-2021, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

Default Los Angeles

I was thinking of using aiwb holster for my Glock 26 but the oneís I bought for home carry have been uncomfortable af especially with that claw. Maybe I need one that flexes between the side car mag holder. For those who own them do you feel the same? Or is it better with a single stack sub compact? For my 19 Iíll mainly use owb Kydex holster with two belt clips to keep it stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by CAGLS; 06-15-2021 at 8:10 PM..
Old 06-15-2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
I misunderstood the OP's question. If he is walking with the backpack then it is illegal per May 2016 CA ruling.
Can you enlighten me on this ruling? Are you saying that the legality of transporting a concealed, unloaded, handgun in a locked container in a backpack (without a CCW permit) depends on mode of transportation, foot vs bike vs car? I thought all modes were equally legal as long as the purpose, such as to and from a shooting range was legal.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 06-15-2021, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
Can you enlighten me on this ruling? Are you saying that the legality of transporting a concealed, unloaded, handgun in a locked container in a backpack (without a CCW permit) depends on mode of transportation, foot vs bike vs car? I thought all modes were equally legal as long as the purpose, such as to and from a shooting range was legal.

Or running from a mob of ďpeaceful protestorsĒ lol

Old 06-15-2021, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaliber View Post
If I remember correctly from the city attorney,

To legally transport a handgun, it has to be:

unloaded, locked in the trunk of the vehicle or in a locked container inside the vehicle, and apparent and not concealed inside the vehicle.

The gun owner also has to walk directly to and from the vehicle with the firearm. He or she has to carry it in a locked container.

He also stated that a bicycle also is a valid transportation device like a motorcycle.

However, some argue that bicycles are not valid transportation in CA. At the same time, the CA vehicle code demands all bicyclists to obey the VC like motored vehicles.

I was a bit confused because of the bicycle. But according to the department policy and state law, a bicycle is still a valid transportation conveyance. Who knows, nowadays anti-gun CA lawyers might treat this differently than in early 2000.

FYI - Vehicle Code 21200 VC – California’s vehicle laws applicable to bicycle riders

God, Family, Country in order to keep the great land of America Free and Great.

BLUE LIVES MATTER

ALL LIVES MATTER

Last edited by kjc625; 06-15-2021 at 8:55 PM..
Old 06-15-2021, 9:22 PM

Assuming my interview goes well tomorrow and I think I am likely to get the permit, I'll need to get my training done. I know they say not to do it unless they tell you for sure they will issue, but I'm fine taking the risk.

With that in mind, which of the CCW courses on the approved list do you guys recommend? https://lasd.org/wp-content/uploads/...ERS_060421.pdf
Old 06-15-2021, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanspartan View Post
Assuming my interview goes well tomorrow and I think I am likely to get the permit, I'll need to get my training done. I know they say not to do it unless they tell you for sure they will issue, but I'm fine taking the risk.

With that in mind, which of the CCW courses on the approved list do you guys recommend? https://lasd.org/wp-content/uploads/...ERS_060421.pdf

I used CCW permit instruction. Orville was very thorough and informative

Old 06-15-2021, 10:05 PM

Default answer to your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGLS View Post
Just want to know if the firearm is in a backpack inside a locked container, empty chamber, no loaded mag in the magwell. Still considered concealed?

I don't think so.. This is basically a transportation of your firearm.. I ride a motorcycle to the range often and that is how I transport it.. by the way by law you are allowed to have your magazines loaded and near your firearm. As long as it's in a locked container. There are legal documents you can download and print out incase law enforcement hassles you.. My buddy is a deputy and he told me good luck if you want to go to jail and explain that to a judge.. I showed him the document and he had not much to say.. It's a good idea to have documents with your firearms for these purposes.. Not all LEO are up to date with current laws..
Old 06-15-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
What did you guys choose for your 3 ccw guns? Mine is Glock 19, 26, and CZ P-01. Also can standard cap mags be carried? Freedom week

M&P Shield... 2 of them as I love this firearm, and my M&P compact 2.0..

as far as standard mags go, I would check with your background investigator or your local law enforcement. Last I heard you are ok.. There is a legal document you can print out that explains this as a legal right to be able to use these mags. If you get hassled simply give the document to the LEO that is questioning you.. Hopefully that will be enough to excuse you.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What did you guys choose for your 3 ccw guns? Mine is Glock 19, 26, and CZ P-01. Also can standard cap mags be carried? Freedom week

STI Staccato P DUO
Glock 19
Sig P365
Old 06-15-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Glock 27
Glock 22 (probably never going to carry but why not)

Old 06-15-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly from the city attorney,

To legally transport a handgun, it has to be:

unloaded, locked in the trunk of the vehicle or in a locked container inside the vehicle, and apparent and not concealed inside the vehicle.

The gun owner also has to walk directly to and from the vehicle with the firearm. He or she has to carry it in a locked container.

He also stated that a bicycle also is a valid transportation device like a motorcycle.

However, some argue that bicycles are not valid transportation in CA. At the same time, the CA vehicle code demands all bicyclists to obey the VC like motored vehicles.

I was a bit confused because of the bicycle. But according to the department policy and state law, a bicycle is still a valid transportation conveyance. Who knows, nowadays anti-gun CA lawyers might treat this differently than in early 2000.

FYI - Vehicle Code 21200 VC Ė Californiaís vehicle laws applicable to bicycle riders
Thanks for the response. I guess that makes sense if you are looking at from the point of view of "vehicle transportation". IANAL, but I guess I can't think of what law is being broken if you are walking to or from a gun range with an unloaded firearm in a locked container in a backpack. It does not seem to me that anything in the Vehicle Code would apply.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:

All CZs for me because no self respecting Colombian hipster would carry anything else.

PCR, P-01, SP-01

Old 06-15-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:

The 3 I included in my application:

M&P Shield HIVIZ (9mm)
Glock 19
Sig Sauer P238 HD (380)
Old 06-15-2021, 10:36 PM

P365x
Glock 43x
Glock 19
Old 06-15-2021, 10:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Glock 19
Wilson Professional Elite
Springer Pro

All will be carried in JM Custom Kydex AIWB.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1abob View Post
M&P Shield... 2 of them as I love this firearm, and my M&P compact 2.0..

as far as standard mags go, I would check with your background investigator or your local law enforcement. Last I heard you are ok.. There is a legal document you can print out that explains this as a legal right to be able to use these mags. If you get hassled simply give the document to the LEO that is questioning you.. Hopefully that will be enough to excuse you.
Magazine capacity restriction are up to the issuing authority. It is a restriction they put on the permit. OC for example have no such restriction. To them if itís ca legal (freedom week) then itís ok. I believe San Bernardino does have the 10 round restriction. As far as LA County they make no mention of it on their website other then as long as itís California legal. The deputies Iíve asked all said there is a 10 round limit but they could just be ill informed. Contact the ccw unit through email and get the answer in writing to be sure.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal547 View Post
Magazine capacity restriction are up to the issuing authority. It is a restriction they put on the permit. OC for example have no such restriction. To them if itís ca legal (freedom week) then itís ok. I believe San Bernardino does have the 10 round restriction. As far as LA County they make no mention of it on their website other then as long as itís California legal. The deputies Iíve asked all said there is a 10 round limit but they could just be ill informed. Contact the ccw unit through email and get the answer in writing to be sure.
that's even a better idea thanks.. .. If i'm accepted into the ccw world i would most likely carry one of my Shields. So 10+1 will be my limit.. I use hyve plus 2 base plates witch gives me a total of 10 rounds. They work great and have been tested at my local matches... Good to go
Old 06-15-2021, 11:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was thinking of using aiwb holster for my Glock 26 but the oneís I bought for home carry have been uncomfortable af especially with that claw. Maybe I need one that flexes between the side car mag holder. For those who own them do you feel the same? Or is it better with a single stack sub compact? For my 19 Iíll mainly use owb Kydex holster with two belt clips to keep it stable.

I tried a couple of the holsters with the mag carrier attached. A T Rex and Tier 1 concealed. For me, and where I carry on my body, they just didnít work. Too many hot spots and pressure points. Great holsters, they just didnít fit my body type. Ended up choosing a stand alone holster and mag carrier. This allows me to position both in the perfect spot. Like you, I do not care for the claws. They are there to aid concealment, but I found them uncomfortable. You can likely just remove it from your holster and see if that works and still conceals. I ended up with JM Kydex. The non light bearing models donít have the claw and still conceal great for me.

The real secret for me was pads. JM sells them. So does Tier 1 or, do what I did. Buy a yoga mat and some Velcro tape and pad all the areas that are pressure points. I frankensteined them up and they made all day appendix carry comfortable for me. Ugly as sin, but they work.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb557 View Post
I tried a couple of the holsters with the mag carrier attached. A T Rex and Tier 1 concealed. For me, and where I carry on my body, they just didnít work. Too many hot spots and pressure points. Great holsters, they just didnít fit my body type. Ended up choosing a stand alone holster and mag carrier. This allows me to position both in the perfect spot. Like you, I do not care for the claws. They are there to aid concealment, but I found them uncomfortable. You can likely just remove it from your holster and see if that works and still conceals. I ended up with JM Kydex. The non light bearing models donít have the claw and still conceal great for me.

The real secret for me was pads. JM sells them. So does Tier 1 or, do what I did. Buy a yoga mat and some Velcro tape and pad all the areas that are pressure points. I frankensteined them up and they made all day appendix carry comfortable for me. Ugly as sin, but they work.

Good luck.
Based on my long LEO career experience, I recommend always carrying a mag carrier on the support side separately.

God, Family, Country in order to keep the great land of America Free and Great.

BLUE LIVES MATTER

ALL LIVES MATTER
Old 06-15-2021, 11:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Based on my long LEO career experience, I recommend always carrying a mag carrier on the support side separately.
Yeah, that is what I found works best. Lots of guys love the attached mag holders rigs. They just werenít for me.
Old 06-16-2021, 3:40 AM

Quote:
congrats bro. Wow, you waited for a while too. What time did you get the call?
i got the call noon yesterday, first call from "Private Caller" i missed because i was working yesterday and the detective redialed within a minute and I stepped out and picked it up and introduced himself and stated that I only have one gun on the application, I answered back that i will add one more and he said we can do that later on in the application. He asked where I work and and my wife's occupation and gave me instructions to watch for the email with all the documents and location of my interview. The detective said that the earliest he can interview me is a week from yesterday.
Old 06-16-2021, 3:43 AM

GC is yellow.