Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 07-15-2020, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Default Making a knife kit into a quality knife ?

For some time I have seen kits of all sorts in the Smoky Mtn Knife Works magazine. Anyone on the board ever get one and complete it ? I am wondering if I want to go for it and try one. How did it turn out etc. ? I tried one years ago, 1980's and I had access to a shop then, but not now.

Psalm 1
Old 07-15-2020, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

Kits vary considerably in complexity. Fixed blades with scales but no bolster are easier than fixed blades with bolsters or pommels. Kit folders range from easy to complex...the folders where you need to just shape the scales are easier than those where you snape bolsters and scales.

I've done a couple kits and in every case I ended up with a knife that far exceeded the cost of the kit and parts.

What have you got to lose? It will be fun and rewarding.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:12 AM

Blade Steel Matters

I'm a yuuge fan of High Carbon Steel Blades and have made many knives - some for daily use (esp. Kitchen) - using Russell Green River Blanks.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Searc...t&PageSize=100

https://knifemaking.com/collections/...SABEgISmfD_BwE

Last edited by rmnc3r; 07-16-2020 at 10:16 AM..
Old 07-16-2020, 11:29 AM
Calguns Addict

I've made a few knives using Lauri blades purchased from Ragweed Forge. I learned a lot about putting a handle on a knife, and how to deal with working with a sharp blade. I think the bonus part of the kit is the handle material and decorative stuff is already laid out for you. I had to make my own bolster from some scrap aluminum I had around the garage and made pommel washers from spent shell casings. I made the handle from some black walnut firewood I had laying around the yard. Then you get to learn how to make a sheath! I'm certainly not new to woodworking, but I'm am DEFINITELY not a good wood worker, and for metal stuff? I'm a total hack. So if I can do it you can too!

that small knife was fun, the handle isn't glued, pinned, or peined; it's wedged in with some fatwood in a style that was not uncommon during the middle ages. So far so good!

I obviously chose to not finish the blades before putting a handle on them, if you want something shiny and nice and professional looking finish the blades before you put the handle on, otherwise the handle just gets in the way.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input, I am almost ready to try it again for a mid sized bowie.

Psalm 1
Old 07-22-2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand Hunter View Post
Thanks for the input, I am almost ready to try it again for a mid sized bowie.

Psalm 1
If ya have any questions during your build don’t hesitate to contact me. I can probably help ya out.
Old 07-23-2020, 3:20 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks I will likely need it.

Psalm 1
Old 07-24-2020, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks I will likely need it.

Psalm 1

Ya bet. Offer holds for anyone here wanting to try making a knife. Don't hesitate to PM me. Making knives is what I do.

Last edited by Horsewright; 07-24-2020 at 6:58 AM..
Old 07-25-2020, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
For some time I have seen kits of all sorts in the Smoky Mtn Knife Works magazine. Anyone on the board ever get one and complete it ? I am wondering if I want to go for it and try one. How did it turn out etc. ? I tried one years ago, 1980's and I had access to a shop then, but not now.

Psalm 1
Not sure this is something you can use these are as blanked need sharpening the one on leather sheath is marked Camillus New York USA. Not sure after grinding if they will need heat treat sharp test maybe I'm in San Diego.
Found this on the Camillus blank: This USA made 1095 High Carbon Steel is of the highest quality. This blank was heat treated to 58/60 RC. This is a vintage era blank from the 1940's-1960's.

Last edited by Tom-ADC; 07-26-2020 at 11:46 AM..