Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-15-2020, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

Default How much time to dry brass in a dehydrator?

Someone gave me a used food dehydrator. I repurposed it for drying cases.

Gonna try 1 hour. Any guidance appreciated.
Old 05-15-2020, 5:20 PM
Banned

Oh my ****ing God. Now you're just messing with me, right?
Old 05-15-2020, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

I don’t know you enough to mess with you in any way that is specific to you.
Old 05-15-2020, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, wow. I’m hooked.

I put a batch in my case tumbler, and loaded the dehydrator. 1.5 hours later, the cases are dry and ready for the next load from the tumbler.

Cool beans.
Old 05-15-2020, 6:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Food dehydrator is the best way to dry wet tumbled brass.
Old 05-15-2020, 6:53 PM

What about the oven at a very low setting?

"A Holocaust survivor dies of old age, when he gets to heaven he tells God a Holocaust joke. God says, That isn't funny. The Old man tells God, well, I guess you had to be there."
Old 05-15-2020, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Do you really want to risk cross contamination of your Prime rib roast with range pick up brass stuff?

Even if that was ok, I don’t want to walk into the house dressed in soiled reloading clothes and start touching stuff in the kitchen.

I have a folding plastic table out back, every thing is there and I just pour the water into a little dirt plot, the separator is there right next to the dehydrator. It’s nice set up.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 05-16-2020 at 11:50 AM..
Old 05-15-2020, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
As long as the surface(s) are exposed to it, a good dry air flow is more efficient/faster than low heat to remove H2O
Old 05-18-2020, 1:31 AM

I use the Frankford Arsenal brass dryer which I believe is a rebranded food dehydrator. I run large batches of brass when I prep. I usually leave it running overnight and they are definitely dry in the morning. There is a difference in dry time when you don’t de-cap before running them through your wet cleaning method. De-capped cases will be dry within an hour, but cases with primers take a couple hours or longer to dry out the trapped water in the spent primer and primer pocket.

FYI: I pat my cases with a towel before they go into the brass dryer. This helps with water spots and speeds up dry time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2020, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
Do you really want to risk cross contamination of your Prime rib roast with range pick up brass stuff?
Assuming you're drying brass after wet tumbling (rather than swishing it around in soapy water) the brass is going to be pretty damn clean. In any event, the only thing coming off at drying temps is going to be water. Oven will work fine; brass won't change up to about 400F or higher, but I'd run it lower than that to be safe (300ish? Up to you.)

OP, I run my dehydrator at 70 degrees C (158F) for an hour, because that time is easiest to set, and the temp is high as the unit goes. Brass is generally dry at 30 minutes. I have frames that hold cases mouth-down though; if you're laying bottleneck brass on a rack, you may get water pooled inside, which will need time to be evaporated. So the answer to your question is "until it's dry" (meaning you have to figure out what works for you and your process.)
Old 05-18-2020, 7:49 AM
Calguns Addict

30 minutes is fine. I usually go 45 minutes just to be sure the insides get completely dry.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:29 AM

I use our old toaster oven I commandeered from the kitchen for both powdercoating cast boolits and brass drying. Run it nearly as low as it goes and give it an hour. No rush.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croue View Post
I use our old toaster oven I commandeered from the kitchen for both powdercoating cast boolits and brass drying. Run it nearly as low as it goes and give it an hour. No rush.

I guess its all about capacity. I just washed and dried 5000 cases in 4 hours this weekend. 3 hours to wash and dry, and 1 hour for loading the tumbler, separating the media, rinsing the cases and loading the dryer. Im very happy with this set up.

I kinda wish I had a bigger wet tumbler. I could cut down the process to half the time, if I didnt have to wait on the wet tumbler.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You just need to get to 212 F and the water will evaporate.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 05-18-2020, 12:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I bought a rubber welcome mat from HD. It's "spikey" and black rubber. Anyway, I put it on a patio table in my backyard. When my brass is cleaned, I try and get as many of the pins off it as I can (in a rotary media seperator, filled with water), then I dump the water and spin it around again to get more pins out and to get as much water as I can dumped out of the cases, then I just pour all the brass, pins, water that's in teh media basket onto the welcome mat and leave it. The sun and wind dries it up and the pins, once dry will fall onto the mat between the spikey parts. Yes, it takes a day, but I have a lot of brass ready to load, and I have this brass that's clean and drying so I'm in no rush.

Part of the key is to be such a good scrounger that you always have a lot of brass ready to load when you want so you're not waiting on clean brass and then you can clean at your leisure.

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 05-18-2020, 3:26 PM

Quote:
I kinda wish I had a bigger wet tumbler.
I've heard of people using an electric cement mixer as a wet tumbler. Harbor Freight has a 1.25 cu ft mixer for $169. Get a 20% (or more) coupon, and let her rip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2020, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

we have a giant ball of hot in the sky put them on a towel kick the cat out of the sunbeam and lay it down
Old 05-18-2020, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
we have a giant ball of hot in the sky put them on a towel kick the cat out of the sunbeam and lay it down
My old dry regimen was the same hot ball and a 9x12 drop cloth. I really don’t like bending down and kneeling. It’s not worth throwing my back. A free dehydrator was just the ticket. If I knew how well these things worked, I’d have bought one myself
Old 05-18-2020, 6:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This entire thread is gay in the extreme.
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 05-18-2020, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
This entire thread is gay in the extreme.
Stick your opinion up your ***.
Old 05-18-2020, 6:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
OK. I'll bite. Why are you 'drying' cases in the first place?
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 05-18-2020, 6:28 PM

I made square trays with pvc and put 1/4 inch space wire mesh across them. Stacked them and put a box fan on top blowing down, in the garage. A food dehydrator is sort of the model for this but I am not using this setup to make jerky. Brass drying is its sole purpose in life.
Old 05-18-2020, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4eyes View Post
I made square trays with pvc and put 1/4 inch space wire mesh across them. Stacked them and put a box fan on top blowing down, in the garage. A food dehydrator is sort of the model for this but I am not using this setup to make jerky. Brass drying is its sole purpose in life.
Sounds awesome. I might build one. If I can get my case cleaning capacity up, I can spend less time with it.
Old 05-18-2020, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post

I use that a lot when it’s warm and sunny. But sometimes I’m cleaning brass on cloudy days or I to the night and want to get them dry so I can put them in the lidded buckets I store clean brass in. If I didn’t powdercoat bullets I’d probably just use the sun solely. But when you got it why not?

Old 05-18-2020, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkprisoner View Post
Food dehydrator is the best way to dry wet tumbled brass.
I prefer compressed air.
Old 05-19-2020, 5:57 AM

Default How much time to dry brass in a dehydrator?

I not only do my brass, but cast bullets once water dropped. I put the Frankford Arsenal dryer on low and let it run about 4 hours.

I do wash my brass and lead in RO water before drying to have zero water spots. No impurities in the water will leave you with zero water spots.

The reason I dry my lead is to powder coat ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by McGuiver; 05-24-2020 at 7:22 AM..
Old 05-19-2020, 6:29 AM

Nothing against you guys drying your brass like you're making jerky but I like to keep it simple with as few steps as possible.

I wet tumble about 800-1000 cases a week and from start to ready to load takes about one hour. De-prime first. After wet tumbling for 30-40 minutes I rinse and drain off the excess water, then toss in a few old rags about the size of washcloths and tumble again for 10 minutes. After that I spread the brass out on a towel and run a heat gun over them for 2-3 minutes. Once they're cool to the touch they're ready to load. If I don't plan on reloading them that day I'll just leave them on the towel without using the heat gun and they're completely dry by the next day.
Old 05-19-2020, 8:16 AM

So you're using a heat gun instead of a dehydrator. How is that fewer steps or simpler? At least with the dehydrator you can walk away from it after starting. I wouldn't suggest that with a heat gun.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilMo View Post
Nothing against you guys drying your brass like you're making jerky but I like to keep it simple with as few steps as possible.

I wet tumble about 800-1000 cases a week and from start to ready to load takes about one hour. De-prime first. After wet tumbling for 30-40 minutes I rinse and drain off the excess water, then toss in a few old rags about the size of washcloths and tumble again for 10 minutes. After that I spread the brass out on a towel and run a heat gun over them for 2-3 minutes. Once they're cool to the touch they're ready to load. If I don't plan on reloading them that day I'll just leave them on the towel without using the heat gun and they're completely dry by the next day.
That works. I use to do something similar. I do about 5000+ cases in one go. Spreading them out, off of each other, is a bit of a chore. Getting them off the floor and the garage tidy in short order is a big plus.

So over this if I can avoid it.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 05-19-2020 at 10:14 AM..
Old 05-19-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Looks like you brought out the jack***es with this thread.

I use 2 methods. On hot summer days (most of the year), I'll lay out my brass on top of a towel to air dry for a 2-3 hours.

But when it's not hot or sunny, I'll use a single purpose food dehydrator. It cost me $20 and typically takes around 2 hours to dry the brass.

I'm surprised reloaders on calguns don't take drying their brass more seriously. That last thing you want is a wet primer pocket wetting your powder and causing a squib load. But you do you ya'll. I ain't shooting your crap anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2020, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyc View Post
Looks like you brought out the jack***es with this thread.

I use 2 methods. On hot summer days (most of the year), I'll lay out my brass on top of a towel to air dry for a 2-3 hours.

But when it's not hot or sunny, I'll use a single purpose food dehydrator. It cost me $20 and typically takes around 2 hours to dry the brass.

I'm surprised reloaders on calguns don't take drying their brass more seriously. That last thing you want is a wet primer pocket wetting your powder and causing a squib load. But you do you ya'll. I ain't shooting your crap anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Good info.

Comparatively, my brass dries in the dehydrator in 1 hour.

On my garage floor with a fan, about 2 days. I havent spread them out in the sun as there is too much dust in my backyard that will get to the brass. Dillon dies are expensive, so didnt want to risk that.

And yeah, I don't get people who will come into a thread theyre not interested in and start saying douchey things. Ive moved on though. I dont even see the perp anymore LoL
Old 05-20-2020, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
So you're using a heat gun instead of a dehydrator. How is that fewer steps or simpler? At least with the dehydrator you can walk away from it after starting. I wouldn't suggest that with a heat gun.
No loading and stacking trays, or waiting hours to dry. No need to walk away from a heat gun when it only takes a few minutes or less to heat up the brass. Brass is cooled off, dry and ready to go by the time I install the dies and add powder to the hopper. With the towel right next to the press, the next time I handle the brass is the last before loading into magazines..

I'm certainly not criticizing anyone for drying their brass in ovens or dehydrators, just showing my method to save time. With casting, powder-coating, reloading and shooting twice a week I have to save time where I can.

Processing brass by the way is the quickest of my processes. It's the lead processing that's a PITA. I shoot between 15-20 pounds of lead a week and always try to mine more than I shoot to stay ahead of the demand.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Even if that was ok, I don’t want to walk into the house dressed in soiled reloading clothes and start touching stuff in the kitchen.

I have a folding plastic table out back, every thing is there and I just pour the water into a little dirt plot, the separator is there right next to the dehydrator. It’s nice set up.

You obviously aint had my gunpowder infused dry prime rib rub...

Be careful with temps and plastic shelves in dehydrators with brass cases.

Actually, if it is the HF brand with a heating element and no fan then be careful. It will melt down and give you a mess.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 06-01-2020, 3:14 PM

Default Toaster oven

Just adding my 2 cents:

I live in an apartment without a backyard or patio, so I don't have the option to lay brass out in the sun.

Food dehydrators are more expensive than cheap toaster ovens, so I went the toaster oven route. The timer does 30 minutes max, so I "toast" my brass for 30 minutes at 250 degrees. Lower temps won't completely dry the brass within 30 minutes, and 250 degrees is perfectly safe for the brass.
Old 06-01-2020, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
I've heard of people using an electric cement mixer as a wet tumbler. Harbor Freight has a 1.25 cu ft mixer for $169. Get a 20% (or more) coupon, and let her rip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
I use a mortar mixer from Lowes to wash brass for an hour, then drain and dry in a cement mixer filled with corn cob media and a little case polish.
Does 500 BMG cases in 2 hours.
Old 06-02-2020, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
You just need to get to 212 F and the water will evaporate.
Don't even need that. If you did, the streets would be perpetually flooded.

Higher temps will evaporate water faster, but water will also evaporate at room temperature.
Old 06-02-2020, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghilligan View Post
Just adding my 2 cents:

I live in an apartment without a backyard or patio, so I don't have the option to lay brass out in the sun.

Food dehydrators are more expensive than cheap toaster ovens, so I went the toaster oven route. The timer does 30 minutes max, so I "toast" my brass for 30 minutes at 250 degrees. Lower temps won't completely dry the brass within 30 minutes, and 250 degrees is perfectly safe for the brass.
Brass isn't affected structurally until at least 450F; you can crank your oven up if you want to speed drying.