Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 04-06-2019, 7:06 PM
Why Change the Default?
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Did the LCM Frenzy Affect You?

While it felt really good, and I am sure most of us acquired new standard capacity magazines, I was thinking this was mostly a non-event for me.

My EDC only carries 8 rounds. My BUG only carries 7.

So, it occurred to me that since our typical weapon is smaller, most of us in this sub-forum didn't much benefit from the week of magazine frenzy.

How about you? Did you spend lots of money this week on standard magazines?

(And, I thought it has been almost 2 weeks since the last post in this sub-forum, so maybe this would start some discussion amongst the ladies...)

Kate
Old 04-07-2019, 4:39 AM
CGN Contributor

The only one I considered acquiring was a 17-round mag for my Beretta 92FS, which isn't on my CCW anyway. Oh well, saved 30+ bucks... until the ban is lifted again.

~A~

Own: S&W 460 XVR, S&W 629 Classic Deluxe, S&W 686, S&W 17-3, S&W 60-7, S&W 60-15, CZ 75 D PCR, CZ 75 B 40 S&W, CZ 97B, Walther PPK/S, Colt Detective Special,
Wish: S&W 25, S&W 650/651, S&W 57
Old 04-07-2019, 5:35 AM

Default Standard mag order frenzy

It has been interesting to watch the drama. I thought Benitez' opening examples of home defenders running a 10 round mag dry were persuasive. And the question posed: what would you rather have in your support hand, a second 10 round mag or a phone dialed to 911?

My home security handgun comes standard in "free" states with 16 round mags. So yes I tried to order a couple of 16's but the vendor hasn't shipped yet. Who knows, they may chicken out.

Good point on the CCW guns though, darn few are capable of carrying more than 6 or 7 rounds anyway and still be concealable on body.

Thanks for bumping the forum.
Old 04-07-2019, 7:45 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

no, my credit card was safe.

mostly revolvers and my semi-auto pistols are not high round capacity.

CCW is not possible in this county for me.
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 04-07-2019, 5:09 PM
Why Change the Default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accounting_mom View Post
It has been interesting to watch the drama. I thought Benitez' opening examples of home defenders running a 10 round mag dry were persuasive. And the question posed: what would you rather have in your support hand, a second 10 round mag or a phone dialed to 911?

My home security handgun comes standard in "free" states with 16 round mags. So yes I tried to order a couple of 16's but the vendor hasn't shipped yet. Who knows, they may chicken out.

Good point on the CCW guns though, darn few are capable of carrying more than 6 or 7 rounds anyway and still be concealable on body.

Thanks for bumping the forum.
So, perhaps hijacking the thread...

If we are going to have only 6 rounds anyway, how many of us opt for a revolver like MovieZombie?

This sort of relates to the thread about where to carry. If you carry in your purse, a revolver is pretty much the best option, right? (Able to shoot through the purse without jamming...)

Thoughts?

Kate
Old 04-07-2019, 7:04 PM

Note: This thread is in the Women's Forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
While it felt really good, and I am sure most of us acquired new standard capacity magazines, I was thinking this was mostly a non-event for me.

My EDC only carries 8 rounds. My BUG only carries 7.

So, it occurred to me that since our typical weapon is smaller, most of us in this sub-forum didn't much benefit from the week of magazine frenzy.

How about you? Did you spend lots of money this week on standard magazines?

Both women *and* men tend to carry CCW weapons that are more likely to be sub-compact or pocket pistols. Women do own and shoot full-size weapons as well and not just for CCW. Some of us like guns and shooting in general. So, for those women like me, we own a range of weapon sizes that take standard capacity magazines.

To answer your question, I am LE, so I already own a bunch of standard capacity magazines. That said, I was so so happy to see Judge Benitez's ruling giving back 2A rights for EVERYONE and stoked to hear about the huge number of mag sales coming into California in the space of a couple of days. Total win for my fellow citizens!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
So, perhaps hijacking the thread...

If we are going to have only 6 rounds anyway, how many of us opt for a revolver like MovieZombie?

This sort of relates to the thread about where to carry. If you carry in your purse, a revolver is pretty much the best option, right? (Able to shoot through the purse without jamming...)

Great questions! I carry a semi-auto and prefer it over a revolver. I don't typically carry in my purse. I believe that on the body carry is better unless the situation dictates otherwise (evening gown, etc). You are right in that, if needing to shoot from inside a purse, the revolver would clearly be better for that. Though, if I did purse carry, I would prefer to draw my weapon from my purse and fire at the suspect instead of attempting to shoot through my purse. Remember, shooting from inside a purse is a one-handed operation. It would seem harder to me to assess and follow-up for another shot with a blown-out purse flailing from my arm while my other hand is inside it.

Last edited by BadKitty; 04-07-2019 at 7:07 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 7:34 AM

Hmmmmmm well yes I was very actively involved in buying SCMs. I didn't realize this forum was strictly for CCW. I only have 3 CCW guns. I have MANY more that are for various other range functions that are capable of holding fore than 10 rounds. Can't wait til the D60 arrives!
Old 04-08-2019, 9:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was at the Ladies Day out event in Bass Pro on March 30th when I found out that we can have SCMs. The following day, Sunday, the 31st I had a firearms class and majority of my fellow classmates had SCMs and it definitely made a difference in how they were able to train vs me with my 10 rounders.
I decided, the budget of getting cool wheels for the truck can wait and went out and bought 2-3 SCMs for the full sized we currently own. Then when the news came in later in the week for that 5pm cut off, I bought some for the firearms we were planning on purchasing, but hadn't gotten yet. It may sound excessive, but I know some of our laws get wrapped up in years worth of back and forth, so I would rather be able to get grandfathered in with what I am allowed to have now. I also think the more we bought and brought into this state would help the overall 2A cause. Many brick and mortar stores were selling out moments after opening and many online stores saw their stocks out. Most online stores had them selling at normal and below retail price and to those who sold below - Thank you for the support. There were of course those who price gouged - Shame on you.

Anyways, it looks like the truck will have standard boring wheels for awhile. lol

Also if anyone in the Inland Empire area (or willing to drive in) and is looking for training, Firearms Training Associates have been really great. I also just received an email from them about upcoming courses being offered and YES they are encouraging us to bring our SCMs to the range and to the trainings they offer.

Last edited by urduja; 04-08-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 1:14 PM

No, I'm too focused on stashing ammo before July 1st :P I have 8 mags for the only gun that could take a higher capacity mag and would feel a bit gluttonous buying even more. My goal with 8 was to not need to reload in the middle of CCW class, lol.
Old 04-08-2019, 1:17 PM
Why Change the Default?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_toaster View Post
Hmmmmmm well yes I was very actively involved in buying SCMs. I didn't realize this forum was strictly for CCW. I only have 3 CCW guns. I have MANY more that are for various other range functions that are capable of holding fore than 10 rounds. Can't wait til the D60 arrives!
My apologies. You are of course correct. Poor presumption on my part...

Kate