Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-11-2019, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggunner View Post
I think the most likely explanation is he was just making excuses not to shoot with the op.
BINGO!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2019, 8:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKnight366 View Post
I recently spoke to an officer in CA that said he, and other officers, are not allowed to practice shooting anywhere outside of two areas 1) Police ranges or 2) Those few select places policy agencies have designated are safe for police to shoot, irregardless of whether they are on OR off duty.
Not true for Riverside County Sheriffs.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I recently spoke to an officer in CA that said he, and other officers, are not allowed to practice shooting anywhere outside of two areas 1) Police ranges or 2) Those few select places policy agencies have designated are safe for police to shoot, irregardless of whether they are on OR off duty. That seems strange. That means police can't shoot at public ranges, they can't shoot on private property, they can't shoot on BLM land, etc...

What about training courses? What if they wanted to train with Travis Haley or John Lovell? What if it's family tradition to camp out at BLM land and shoot with the family? What if you have a friend or family, who is not a LEO, whom you like to shoot with regularly at gun ranges? Are all of these off limits? Is if different for different agencies? What are people's experiences with this?

For respect and privacy reasons I'm not going to state the city in which I spoke to this officer.

Thank you!
That is either a truely imaginary conversation with a non existing LEO, or you were being a pain and the LEO wanted to get rid of you any way he could.

There is no such limitation in California or any of other states.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM

There are definitely departments that restrict the usage of department-owned firearms. My department does not allow me to shoot my department-owned weapon an any outside ranges without permission. Obviously if I own my sidearm that is a different story.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
There are definitely departments that restrict the usage of department-owned firearms. My department does not allow me to shoot my department-owned weapon an any outside ranges without permission. Obviously if I own my sidearm that is a different story.
So how does the permission thingy work??

You go: hey Capitan, I feel like slumming today. Can I please please go shoot at Angeles range with the gang bangers??

Capitan: go ahead. Nobody gives a chet. Just do not loose that $399 polymer piece we gave you. And, make sure you do not shoot any bystanders.
Why are you bothering me on your day off?
Old 01-11-2019, 1:56 PM

Default Question for LEO in CA

Is your friend sworn LEO?

Last edited by Yodaman; 01-11-2019 at 6:26 PM..
Old 01-11-2019, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

An agency I previously worked for prohibited you from practicing with your duty weapon outside of work trainings. I donít think any agency can prohibit you from shooting on your personal time, in a safe and legal manner of course.
Old 01-11-2019, 8:27 PM

A lot of those rules are department specific, so there isn't one rule that apply to all agencies. At my range there is 1 dedicated for LEO but that's just for their privacy or when they practice with Class 3 weapons. Several LEO are regulars in our matches.

Quote:
I recently spoke to an officer in CA that said he, and other officers, are not allowed to practice shooting anywhere outside of two areas 1) Police ranges or 2) Those few select places policy agencies have designated are safe for police to shoot, irregardless of whether they are on OR off duty. That seems strange. That means police can't shoot at public ranges, they can't shoot on private property, they can't shoot on BLM land, etc...

What about training courses? What if they wanted to train with Travis Haley or John Lovell? What if it's family tradition to camp out at BLM land and shoot with the family? What if you have a friend or family, who is not a LEO, whom you like to shoot with regularly at gun ranges? Are all of these off limits? Is if different for different agencies? What are people's experiences with this?

For respect and privacy reasons I'm not going to state the city in which I spoke to this officer.

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2019, 9:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Your friend needs to find a new Department if true

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 01-11-2019, 10:50 PM

If your conversation as posted is 100% correct, the officer was either lying to you as others said to avoid shooting with you, just to pull your leg, or he has no idea what his policy actually states. He might have a policy on when/where he can shoot on duty or with duty gear but to prohibit all off duty shooting? That would be truly amazing...
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Enough chit chat. Name the department already.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70
Sig Sauer P228
Old 01-11-2019, 11:03 PM

Yeah I think OP bailed?