Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-26-2018, 8:21 AM

I just had my appt finally after 2 yrs. I will be in the October 20th qualifier class. My question being If they had any doubt would they schedule you for the qualifying or not.
Old 09-26-2018, 9:12 AM

My guess would be no. They would schedule your qual if you've passed the interview and your GC statement is acceptable, and of course under the assumption you'll pass the live scan. I'm also scheduled for BCTC Oct 20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxadam579 View Post
I just had my appt finally after 2 yrs. I will be in the October 20th qualifier class. My question being If they had any doubt would they schedule you for the qualifying or not.
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2018, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamduh View Post
So from the video hes suggest to qualify before your interview. I assumed we should qualify after. Like another cgn member stated here I would also like to know I have been approved before spending the money to qualify. Should i schedule at ben Clark now before my interview date just to speed up the process?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Under PC 26165, they can't require you to pay for training before Good Cause is accepted. So, you are on your own if you undertake the training early. If the GC isn't accepted, you won't get your money back.
Quote:
26165. (d) The applicant shall not be required to pay for any training courses prior to the determination of good cause being made pursuant to Section 26202.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 09-26-2018 at 9:56 AM..
Old 09-26-2018, 11:25 AM

Who accepts the “Good cause” Is it Stan Sniff or the deputy I interviewed with.
Old 09-27-2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
It goes upstairs for review, the interviewing Deputy's don't make the call, they're basically making sure all your ducks are lined up.
Old 09-27-2018, 4:37 PM

I will tell you that if you have the checklist DONE and in that order, the process will be as smooth as a babies bottom. Make sure your 3 character references have the requirements and the date written. Good cause will be discussed, and clarified. Documentation goes a long way, pictures, receipts etc.

Don’t show up unless your checklist requirements are Done. Also make sure your forms are filled in with BLACK ink.

I was able to get in, photo taken, training scheduled and all forms and fees paid in 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdpro4u View Post
I will tell you that if you have the checklist DONE and in that order, the process will be as smooth as a babies bottom. Make sure your 3 character references have the requirements and the date written. Good cause will be discussed, and clarified. Documentation goes a long way, pictures, receipts etc.

Don’t show up unless your checklist requirements are Done. Also make sure your forms are filled in with BLACK ink.
Absolutely! I went in with ALL my ducks in a row. I think the only thing I didn't have was phone number on each of the 3 letters (which wasn't even mentioned on the website at the time) and they allowed me to write it in. The deputies were very relieved to see someone with all their ducks in a row. My interview was 10 minutes to go through my file, next 20 minutes talking about politics.
Old 09-28-2018, 3:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
The Sheriff is required by law to set the Good Cause requirement and sign off on all licenses personally.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 09-28-2018, 4:25 PM

been almost 2 weeks since live scan and DOJ website keeps saying pending... arrrgggghhh
Old 09-28-2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
been almost 2 weeks since live scan and DOJ website keeps saying pending... arrrgggghhh

It will always say pending. Mine said pending months AFTER I was cleared and picked up my CCW. I guarantee you will get your permit before that website or the automated phone says anything but pending or in progress.
Old 09-28-2018, 9:11 PM

wholy crap and good to know the website just keeps saying "pending" thanks! i have a bad feeling, )=.. i will send email to RivCo next week but hoping for a call and not a denial letter... and I was shopping for IWB holsters too! Need some range time or plan to move out of state!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
The Sheriff is required by law to set the Good Cause requirement and sign off on all licenses personally.
NOPE! They are signed by one of his lieutenants. I seriously doubt that Sheriff Sniff actually sees any of the applications, applicants, or permits. I'm sure that he sets the ground rules for his lieutenant to follow and they ensure that his requirements are met.

If any of you are reading through this thread and have not watched the videos I would implore you to do so if you are even considering starting the application process. In the sheriff's words, EVERY Good Cause statement is essentially "personal protection" or "self defense." But just putting those words on paper is not going to cut it. He requires that you extrapolate on that a bit. The examples posted by Sleighter from the San Diego forum gives you some guidelines. READ them. If you have ANY questions or concerns about your GC then the BEST place to ask is one of the deputies at the CCW Unit. They will vet your GC and give you any pointers or suggestions for improvement. Again, they are very helpful and will do a LOT to help guide you through the process. They are your best resource.

Quote:

I was able to get in, photo taken, training scheduled and all forms and fees paid in 30 minutes.

^^THIS x1000. As has been mentioned ad nauseum throughout this thread the reason that the application process takes so long is that people keep showing up unprepared. This is unfathomable to me since you have MONTHS and sometimes (as in mxadam's case) YEARS to get to the actual interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
Absolutely! I went in with ALL my ducks in a row. I think the only thing I didn't have was phone number on each of the 3 letters (which wasn't even mentioned on the website at the time) and they allowed me to write it in. The deputies were very relieved to see someone with all their ducks in a row. My interview was 10 minutes to go through my file, next 20 minutes talking about politics.
This is as it should be. If everyone showed up prepared the process would go a LOT quicker for everyone.

Quote:
So from the video hes suggest to qualify before your interview. I assumed we should qualify after. Like another cgn member stated here I would also like to know I have been approved before spending the money to qualify. Should i schedule at ben Clark now before my interview date just to speed up the process?

Quote:
You can certainly qualify before or after your interview. It just slows down the process if you wait until the interview is done. And I've never heard of anyone referred to the Ben Clark Range nor the RCSO CCW class who was then denied his permit.

Guys and gals, the RCSO has a NINETY NINE PERCENT ISSUE RATE!!! Your chances here are pretty good, don't you think? If you have the funds and want to streamline the process then go ahead and take the class and range at one of the outside vendors.

Bottom line is if you have been considering applying and have been hemming and hawing and reading through this forum over and over while you mull it over then STOP. Get out of your La-Z-Boy and get it started. If you go the Ben Clark route for your range and class you're looking at $305. So go ahead and sell two of your Hi-Points and then you only have to throw in another $55 and you're there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp View Post
Where can I get a pair..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I like it colored
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidBilly View Post
I became mesmerized by a thick black shaft.
Old 09-29-2018, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboS600 View Post

Bottom line is if you have been considering applying and have been hemming and hawing and reading through this forum over and over while you mull it over then STOP. Get out of your La-Z-Boy and get it started. If you go the Ben Clark route for your range and class you're looking at $305. So go ahead and sell two of your Hi-Points and then you only have to throw in another $55 and you're there!

Lol. You would have to sell 10 of them. After owning a hipoint I wouldn’t want to sell it to anyone for fear they would hurt themselves. Hi points are better thrown than shot!

Old 09-29-2018, 8:37 AM

Default free beer

i hope you're right because I already qualified.. it's been 2 weeeks and not just waiting for either the call or denial letter. i need to now buy tactical pants/holsters and etc... can't wait to lose 5 lbs to tuck my pupper under belt.

Quote:
NOPE! They are signed by one of his lieutenants. I seriously doubt that Sheriff Sniff actually sees any of the applications, applicants, or permits. I'm sure that he sets the ground rules for his lieutenant to follow and they ensure that his requirements are met.

If any of you are reading through this thread and have not watched the videos I would implore you to do so if you are even considering starting the application process. In the sheriff's words, EVERY Good Cause statement is essentially "personal protection" or "self defense." But just putting those words on paper is not going to cut it. He requires that you extrapolate on that a bit. The examples posted by Sleighter from the San Diego forum gives you some guidelines. READ them. If you have ANY questions or concerns about your GC then the BEST place to ask is one of the deputies at the CCW Unit. They will vet your GC and give you any pointers or suggestions for improvement. Again, they are very helpful and will do a LOT to help guide you through the process. They are your best resource.

^^THIS x1000. As has been mentioned ad nauseum throughout this thread the reason that the application process takes so long is that people keep showing up unprepared. This is unfathomable to me since you have MONTHS and sometimes (as in mxadam's case) YEARS to get to the actual interview.

This is as it should be. If everyone showed up prepared the process would go a LOT quicker for everyone.

You can certainly qualify before or after your interview. It just slows down the process if you wait until the interview is done. And I've never heard of anyone referred to the Ben Clark Range nor the RCSO CCW class who was then denied his permit.

Guys and gals, the RCSO has a NINETY NINE PERCENT ISSUE RATE!!! Your chances here are pretty good, don't you think? If you have the funds and want to streamline the process then go ahead and take the class and range at one of the outside vendors.

Old 09-29-2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
And I've never heard of anyone referred to the Ben Clark Range nor the RCSO CCW class who was then denied his permit.

Guys and gals, the RCSO has a NINETY NINE PERCENT ISSUE RATE!!!D

Well now you have. I must be part of that "one percent".

I was sent to the Ben Clark range and CCW class in 2014 and was denied in 2015.

Reapplied end of May this year and asked to go pre-approval route (in hopes of being approved before the class/range date).

I waited a couple months before I decided I'd set up a class / range date. I found out that they had not sent my file "upstairs" yet but was told my file would be sent up and a class/range date of Sept 8th was set. This was done on August 7th.

Come Sept 7th I had not heard back from the CCW unit. I called and cancelled the class/range and reiterated I wanted to be approved first.

With that said, being that it's been almost two months since my packet was sent for review, I'll be waiting for the denial letter.

Let me add...I think both Deputy Yezzo & Deputy Aguirre do a fantastic job in the CCW unit and I thank them for the time that they've spent with me on this Journey.

Mark

Last edited by MURRIETA45; 09-29-2018 at 2:46 PM.. Reason: clarifications
Old 09-30-2018, 7:16 PM

Hang In there man! What are the ****ty odds we are the 1%. Lotto ticket time?
Old 10-02-2018, 1:07 PM

I may be making the move from OC to Corona here in the next few months or so. I'm curious how Riverside county's process is compared to OC, especially in regards to acceptable good cause. Anybody know if they are on similar levels in regards to what they would accept?

In Orange County I used my freelance photography as my good cause, both for protection from wildlife during landscape/nature shoots and due to carrying expensive equipment around with me. Anyone know if this would suffice in Riverside County if I were to make the move?

What are the current submission/approval times looking like?
Old 10-02-2018, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
I may be making the move from OC to Corona here in the next few months or so. I'm curious how Riverside county's process is compared to OC, especially in regards to acceptable good cause. Anybody know if they are on similar levels in regards to what they would accept?

In Orange County I used my freelance photography as my good cause, both for protection from wildlife during landscape/nature shoots and due to carrying expensive equipment around with me. Anyone know if this would suffice in Riverside County if I were to make the move?

Your good cause would be acceptable in Riverside. Just make sure not to say anything about mountain lions.

Interview times are about 90 days out right now, but call and get your name on the list!

Join the discussion at:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352777
Old 10-02-2018, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post

My brother used a GC similar to this. Except he just mentioned his equipment and traveling through the county with this in his vehicle. He had receipts that also.

Old 10-02-2018, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Riverside County - where the rednecks and hillbillies meet the suburbs

Quote:
My brother used a GC similar to this. Except he just mentioned his equipment and traveling through the county with this in his vehicle. He had receipts that also.

Most people don’t need receipts. Equipment is worth what it’s worth.

Old 10-02-2018, 2:03 PM

Explains why my interviewer said “I shouldn’t need them” when I offered my good cause.

Old 10-02-2018, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Explains why my interviewer said “I shouldn’t need them” when I offered my good cause.

You’ll be fine. Keep us updated!

Old 10-02-2018, 2:36 PM

Thanks all!

Very off-topic, but anyone have any thoughts about the Sierra Del Oro area off Green River? That's the area I'm looking in mostly since I will be working half the time in Orange County.
Old 10-02-2018, 5:12 PM

Default sierra del oro

I live near there.. what tracts are you looking into? sierra peaks or Dom ranch is good.. everything else is 25 mins to to freeway.
Old 10-03-2018, 9:34 AM

Whats the average wait time once you have completed all the requirements for them to call you and say "Come pick up your card and bring me $80"?

I had interview, then a week later the fingerprints, then 2 weeks later the range class. Just trying to get a read on this.

thanks
Old 10-04-2018, 3:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post
Whats the average wait time once you have completed all the requirements for them to call you and say "Come pick up your card and bring me $80"?

I had interview, then a week later the fingerprints, then 2 weeks later the range class. Just trying to get a read on this.

thanks
It all depends on how fast the result of your background check turnaround back to the CCW unit. It can take as less as 2 months or as long as 6 months. Hope this helps...
Old 10-04-2018, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhedinn View Post

thanks
I've read here on peoples timelines that they received the call to pick up 2-3 weeks after their packet being sent for review.

Again, your mileage may vary.

Mark
Old 10-05-2018, 5:11 AM

Any word murriwt45?
Old 10-05-2018, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5marley View Post
Any word murriwt45?
Not a word. I do have an email I sent to Deputy Yezzo supposedly being forwarded to Sgt. Adams.

Seeing people here being approved weeks after having their files being sent for review while I've been waiting almost two months sucks (totally happy for them though).

Old 10-05-2018, 2:50 PM

Heya - So I have a question. I am trying to keep them at a minimum, I have submitted everything, done the qualifying - I have done everything there is to do on my part...so now comes the hard part. The waiting.

Lots of people say it, but I know for certain on my part, that there is NOTHING in my background. My most notorious moment probably is when an officer helped me catch a dog that had wandered into my yard about a decade ago - it was a pretty mean dog, and had already bit a child in the neighborhood. I have honestly lived a pretty dull life - which suits me just fine!

The lady doing the livescan all but guaranteed that the results would be back within 1-3 business days. That was a month ago, and the last I heard from the deputy was they were still waiting on them. This is my conundrum:

It's been a month
The results are apparantly not back yet
On the bottom of the LiveScan form, where the lady wrote the ATI number, she wrote it kind of crooked, and it IS readable, but ya have to work at it.
When I go to the website, I get the results below.

Part of me isn't worried, because I see people here mentioning that it tends to say "pending" forever. Another part of me IS concerned, because mine doesn't even say "pending." It essentially says they have no record of my request

Just in case I got the ATI number wrong, I tried every other possibility I can think of, but I am fairly certain I had the number right the first time - but nonetheless, ALL attempts came back with the same result: "Applicant Transaction Not Found. Please contact the Agency that requested the Background Check."

Now, I did send the same screenshot to the deputy (without the censoring), and he didn't mention it. He essentially said that if they don't have the results at the 30 day mark, they file a formal request. I just am concerned that we may be waiting for nothing - that something went wrong during the submission process and they have no record of the request (possibly due to the ATI number written all weird - part of it goes over the printed text above the line, etc). I have checked a number of times over the last 2-3 weeks, and the results have always been the same.

Is this just like the "pending" thing and I don't need to worry about it - or do I have a valid concern. I don't wanna keep bugging the deputy, well, I do, but I don't lol! I am just anxious to get all this behind me.

Anyway, thanks for readin
-Rob

20181005_152532.jpg
Old 10-05-2018, 8:58 PM

@supahrob I think you should try entering different ATIs because the status message doesn't make sense. Whether you have a short or long rap sheet, the system does not take more than a few days to populate the results. that's my 2€

Old 10-06-2018, 8:17 AM

Smile ati #

same thing happened to me, she spelled my name wrong and I had t0 correct her, my live scan showed pending for 13 days and on the 14th day, IT SHOW COMPLETE, FBI< DOJ< CA FIREARMS ETC.. all 3 with different dates.. are you typing it in correctly? DOB? hypens? mine livescan results show complete now, so It's been complete for a few days now and I'm waiting for the denial or "come bring your "$80 call" I was told that if something was wrong, i would be called to come in and redo or provide more information because I didin't live a dull life, lol. made a few mistakes as a kid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahrob View Post
Heya - So I have a question. I am trying to keep them at a minimum, I have submitted everything, done the qualifying - I have done everything there is to do on my part...so now comes the hard part. The waiting.

Lots of people say it, but I know for certain on my part, that there is NOTHING in my background. My most notorious moment probably is when an officer helped me catch a dog that had wandered into my yard about a decade ago - it was a pretty mean dog, and had already bit a child in the neighborhood. I have honestly lived a pretty dull life - which suits me just fine!

The lady doing the livescan all but guaranteed that the results would be back within 1-3 business days. That was a month ago, and the last I heard from the deputy was they were still waiting on them. This is my conundrum:

It's been a month
On the bottom of the LiveScan form, where the lady wrote the ATI number, she wrote it kind of crooked, and it IS readable, but ya have to work at it.

Part of me isn't worried, because I see people here mentioning that it tends to say "pending" forever. Another part of me IS concerned, because mine doesn't even say "pending." It essentially says they have no record of my request

Just in case I got the ATI number wrong, I tried every other possibility I can think of, but I am fairly certain I had the number right the first time - but nonetheless, ALL attempts came back with the same result: "Applicant Transaction Not Found. Please contact the Agency that requested the Background Check."

Now, I did send the same screenshot to the deputy (without the censoring), and he didn't mention it. He essentially said that if they don't have the results at the 30 day mark, they file a formal request. I just am concerned that we may be waiting for nothing - that something went wrong during the submission process and they have no record of the request (possibly due to the ATI number written all weird - part of it goes over the printed text above the line, etc). I have checked a number of times over the last 2-3 weeks, and the results have always been the same.

Is this just like the "pending" thing and I don't need to worry about it - or do I have a valid concern. I don't wanna keep bugging the deputy, well, I do, but I don't lol! I am just anxious to get all this behind me.

-Rob

Attachment 744116
Old 10-06-2018, 1:49 PM

My appt is this week....here we go

DOJ app
CCW app
Good cause
3x referance letter in progress....
$20 and $90 MO
cable bill & car registration 2x proofs current residence in riverside
Employer letter stating good cause and recommendation
Copy birth certificate

I think I got everything

Old 10-06-2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURRIETA45 View Post
Not a word. I do have an email I sent to Deputy Yezzo supposedly being forwarded to Sgt. Adams.

Seeing people here being approved weeks after having their files being sent for review while I've been waiting almost two months sucks (totally happy for them though).

Mark, in my humble opinion I think you're poking the bear at RSO. You used the same GCS as last time and you made a demand to not go to BCTC until you got the green light! Do you believe RSO would've sent you to BCTC a second time knowing you were going to be denied?
Old 10-06-2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbuljake View Post
You used the same GCS as last time and you made a demand to not go to BCTC until you got the green light! Do you believe RSO would've sent you to BCTC a second time knowing you were going to be denied?
Not a demand....they do offer that as an option.

I don't know whether or not they'd send me for training after using same good cause. Your guess is as good as mine.
Old 10-06-2018, 8:40 PM

typo error? $95 for doj
Quote:
My appt is this week....here we go

DOJ app
CCW app
Good cause
3x referance letter in progress....
$20 and $90 MO
cable bill & car registration 2x proofs current residence in riverside
Employer letter stating good cause and recommendation
Copy birth certificate

I think I got everything

Old 10-06-2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbphung View Post
typo error? $95 for doj

You are correct sir my fault it is a typo. Also the 100 for ben Clark

Old 10-07-2018, 7:45 AM

your forgetting, there's free parking as you pulll on to the street.. it's directly across from interview location.. park on light on right side.. 1 way street...
only free thing in this process..
Old 10-07-2018, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahrob View Post

It's been a month

-Rob

Attachment 744116

I seem to be in the same boat. Odd. I might head down there to see if there is an issue.
Old 10-07-2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
I doubt any of that is true. Probably told you he got one, but never had one.
I seent it! Seriously tho, I did.