Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism > Temp Post-Duncan Mag Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2019, 5:37 AM

Default Gun Groups: Million-Plus Extended Magazines Flood California

Don Thompson, Associated Press
"(AP) — More than a million high-capacity ammunition magazines flooded into California during a one-week window created when a federal judge temporarily threw out the state's ban, gun owners' groups estimated Thursday.

Reform groups said the projections are self-serving as gun rights organizations try to make the case that magazines holding more than 10 bullets are so common now that a ban is impractical.

The magazines aren't tracked. But there are plenty of anecdotal indications that the floodgates briefly opened when U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez overturned the state's nearly 20-year-old ban late last month.

The judge halted sales a week later, but ruled that those who bought the magazines can legally own them while the state appeals his ruling.

"Everything was all sold out. I basically took whatever I could get," said Chris Puehse, who owns Foothill Ammo in Shingle Springs, east of Sacramento . . ."Because of that one slip-up, in one week you literally had millions of magazines come into the state that were bought legally," said Puehse, the gun shop owner. "These magazines are here to stay.""
http://www.capradio.org/132982 Full article . . .
Old 04-12-2019, 5:52 AM

"Staff attorneys with the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence in San Francisco said they've seen no evidence to back up the million-magazine estimate, and said gun rights organizations have a vested interest in inflating the number of law-abiding owners."

You mean the fact that everyone and their dog were sold out isn't evidence? Must be nice to live in an alternative reality.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2019, 6:50 AM

Doesn’t fit their agenda... not going to hear the truth from the other side, no matter what.

Not sure I appreciate the LGS owner’s characterization of the situation as a “slip up”...
Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
COVID survivor - ain?t gonna get pricked!
Old 04-12-2019, 6:51 AM
Veteran Member

The exact number will never be known, and that is exactly how we want it.
Old 04-12-2019, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Maybe. The fact that large retailers like Brownells are still getting backordered stock in dribs and drabs almost one week after the window closed speaks volumes to anyone willing to listen.
Old 04-12-2019, 7:29 AM

At least someone is smart enough to understand "common use" and they're scared.
Old 04-12-2019, 7:57 AM
It smells in here...
CGN Contributor

From a CRPA email I received on the 10th. I would imagine that Chuck and his associates have been in touch with several of the "big sellers" from last week and would have the best guess...

From: C.D. Michel via CRPA Foundation <admin@crpafoundation.org>
To: Foulball

Last week we had a major WIN for our 2A rights when a federal judge ruled in one of CRPA’s lawsuits (Duncan v. Becerra) that California’s laws banning acquiring and possessing magazines that can hold over ten rounds are unconstitutional. Everyone should read at least the first 10 pages of the court’s ruling. It is glorious and beautiful.

To no one's surprise -- anti-gun groups and elitist politicians like Gavin Newsom quickly appealed our tremendous victory in this case to the Ninth Circuit.

And they asked the same great federal district court judge who ruled that the bans are unconstitutional to “stay” his judgment pending the appeal. He partially did, as we expected. The Judge kept the possession of these magazines legal (despite the Prop 63 possession ban), but after a week of enjoying the freedom to buy these magazines for the first time in 19 years, acquiring or importing them is illegal again in California -- for now.

What a week it was! The latest estimates are that over 2 MILLION of these magazines were lawfully purchased by hundreds of thousands of gun owners in California during what is now being called “Freedom Week”. Those folks can legally possess the magazines they bought during Freedom Week -- for now.

Of course, we don’t want our 2A freedoms back just for a week, or for now. We want them back forever.

So we’re back in court to defend our argument AGAIN on appeal, and to the Supreme Court if necessary. We will continue to fight back, every single time.

Can you help CRPA keep our pro-2A lawsuits running?
>> Use this secure contribution link to help us defend the Second Amendment

CRPA’s lawsuits protect our rights and many of them are holding strong, even in the face of continued attacks. We cannot let them win.

Let’s continue this fight to keep our Second Amendment alive in California.

Thanks for your support,
- Chuck

C.D. Michel
President
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Perhaps the irony of § 32310 escapes notice....With Colonists still hurting from the wounds of war, the Second Amendment guaranteed the rights of new American citizens to protect themselves from oppressors foreign and domestic. So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State. - Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 04-12-2019, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Precisely. Not to mention, the millions of magazines that found their way into California after 2000. The 10's of thousands (or more) that are sold on the black market annually. The 100's of thousands of parts kits that were assembled and the millions of magazines that were unblocked.

If there was no restrictions on Californians, people wouldn't be panic buying everything all the time. It would probably actually hurt ammo, magazine and firearm sales. People always want what they cannot have. It is human nature.
Old 04-12-2019, 9:20 AM

Location: The capital of the wealthiest state, in the most powerful country in the world.

California is the 6th largest economy in the world. It has a large gun community. Given the opportunity to legally obtain something even for a short while, there’s no doubt the economic movement would be huge.
Even if the progs lie to the media, the facts are on the freedom enthusiasts side. There should be millions of new standard mags. I know I bought 6.
Old 04-12-2019, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTMedic View Post
"Staff attorneys with the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence in San Francisco said they've seen no evidence to back up the million-magazine estimate, and said gun rights organizations have a vested interest in inflating the number of law-abiding owners."
The mere fact that all the major online vendors had their 10+ mag inventory practically sold out and seriously delayed shipping should tell an unbiased spectator of the volumes. Also, mags manufactured from the mag kits and converted 10/xx mags should add up to the final number. Again, if you are unbiased.
Old 04-12-2019, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you think so... I’m of the opposite opinion and believe that we want the data out there, and that it likely will (or at least a pretty close facsimile) which will be used to support the legal decision going forward.
Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
COVID survivor - ain?t gonna get pricked!
Old 04-12-2019, 9:50 AM

Quote:
How exactly does that help us? If you don't know how many there are then you can't argue they're in common use, which was one of the main reasons the judge ruled this law unconstitutional in the first place.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Not litigation - moved.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Banned

It was over 6 million.

Just trust me on that.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Once you hit a number indicating north of two million, are exact numbers important anymore? I'm happy whether we find out or not.

Using the term "****load" and "astronomical" suit me just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!
Old 04-12-2019, 11:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I did my part.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

"Slip up" lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemBastards View Post
Judging from the last shoot I think we are the wrong group to ask about sighting in Mosins haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
I don't want dreamcatchers or AR crap, I want ugly old guns!
Old 04-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
"Slip up" lol
If there was a 'slip up' it was Gavin Nuisance and his prop 63 taking without compensation of private property. Or maybe it was his slip was showing. I don't know.

Registration is the first step towards confiscation.

I identify as Non-Bidenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
This is OT where we never let the facts get in the way of a salacious accusation. Especially when it includes the butt.
Old 04-12-2019, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Default Gun Groups: Million-Plus Extended Magazines Flood California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Political Californian View Post
It was over 6 million.

Just trust me on that.
One for every Jew killed because of Hitler’s gun control — poetic justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDave100 View Post
If there was a 'slip up' it was Gavin Nuisance and his prop 63 taking without compensation of private property. Or maybe it was his slip was showing. I don't know.

I sent Gavin a hand-written thank you note on very nice stationery. How many other people did the same?

NRA/USCCA/DOJ instructor, NRA CRSO, Journalist
Old 04-12-2019, 1:56 PM

That's just sales. Everyone who brought stuff in from out of state/had family ship in stuff?

I know two guys stationed here who had mags shipped from home. I doubt they were alone.
Old 04-12-2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalt View Post
That's just sales. Everyone who brought stuff in from out of state/had family ship in stuff?

I know two guys stationed here who had mags shipped from home. I doubt they were alone.
Plus the millions of rivets that suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. Sales may be north of 1 million, but we've been stockpiling blocked mags for years and just waiting for a ruling to go our way.

Last edited by HibikiR; 04-12-2019 at 2:08 PM..
Old 04-12-2019, 2:47 PM

I ordered both online and in person. I took the time to see all the local stores packed with people buying the maximum amount.

Don’t stop now, Californians. Dig in and prepare. Send money to crpa.
Old 04-12-2019, 3:00 PM
Not a miracle worker

Default Bad Dog! Bad Dog!

Quote:

You mean the fact that everyone and their dog were sold out isn't evidence?
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
My dog sold one of my magazines?

No wonder he has a new chew toy. That's what happens when you have a smart dog.

Said by yours truly to an audience of nodding IRS employees.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:35 PM

There was a blogger I read about that claimed he brought over 20+ millions magazines into the state from Arizona via multiple U-haul trucks. Some kind of billionaire entrepreneur who likes to collect magazines. Google it.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:17 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Well that's disappointing. My contribution was only 0.0015% of the magazines entering into the state.
Should have tried harder.
Old 04-14-2019, 6:55 AM

Quote:
It was over 6 million.

Just trust me on that.
Squib train Prop 1A

California Proposition 1A (2008)
Result........Votes...Percentage
Yes....... 6,680,485...52.70%
No........ 6,015,944...47.30%
Total.....12,696,429.100.00%
Voter turnout 79.42%

Maybe 6,015,944 magazines are in California?
Old 04-14-2019, 7:26 AM

We have heard rumors of what PSA and Brownells sold plus most of the online retailers were sold out. I think 2 mil is still low plus all the 10/30's that where freed. I think boatload would be a better description.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)

Last edited by microwaveguy; 04-14-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Old 04-14-2019, 8:20 AM

And how about all the boat accident mags that were magically recovered from the ocean and lakes?
Old 04-14-2019, 8:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sweet. And as has been pointed out, it's not just SCMs purchased during Freedom Week, it includes all those previously in CA, plus the unknown number of kits that were ostensibly assembled, that are now all de facto legally acquired. Many million$
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 04-14-2019, 8:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Sweet. And as has been pointed out, it's not just SCMs purchased during Freedom Week, it includes all those previously in CA, plus the unknown number of kits that were ostensibly assembled, that are now all de facto legally acquired. Many million$
This is important to consider, because unlike others, while I was online buying the very next morning after the announcement and certain retailers opened the flood gates, I did not buy a mass amount of magazines. I only bought some obscure, esoteric high-cap magazines for some uncommon guns; not a single AR, AK, Glock, or HK mag in the mix. Not even anything from MagPul.

The reason for that was that I had been sitting on hundreds of rebuild kits which I previously bought thinking that if Hillary had one, and established a Clinton-era ban, I would have at least been well fortified upon moving out of CA in a few years.

And now?

Old 04-14-2019, 9:00 AM

Quote:
It was over 6 million.

Just trust me on that.
o.v.g.s.i.d.
Old 04-14-2019, 9:12 AM

Let's not be naive. How many LCM have been brought into CA the past 20 years? Many were brought when people moved to this state with their guns not knowing the laws. Others bought theirs when they were out of state and brought them back. With the ability to legally repair damaged mags with new parts, you could completely repair an old mag with parts to have a mag that had not existed pre-2000.

So the State had to prove you illegally imported them.

Then many stored theirs out of state. During freedom they brought them in.

All of these mags all of a sudden became legal, not just the ones purchased during Freedom week.

I would not be surprised if the number already imported into the state since 2000 was greater than the 2 million plus sold during freedom week.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 04-14-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_26 View Post
Precisely. Not to mention, the millions of magazines that found their way into California after 2000. The 10's of thousands (or more) that are sold on the black market annually. The 100's of thousands of parts kits that were assembled and the millions of magazines that were unblocked.
This number is many times bigger then those bought during MMM. People had 6 months plus to stock up. I know Brownells did not sell kits. If I recall, PSA did. Many, many, many smaller online retailers did.

This is a number we will never know.

Quote:

You mean the fact that everyone and their dog were sold out isn't evidence? Must be nice to live in an alternative reality.
Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence = Handgun Control Inc., the friendlier name of the group that wants to deny your constitutionally protect right, kinda like the KKK.

It’s not an alternate reality. It spin. Pure unadulterated lying, to be able to continue their propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDave100 View Post
If there was a 'slip up' it was Gavin Nuisance and his prop 63 taking without compensation of private property.
Since when has Gavin New-Scum ever followed the law or the Constitution?
Think sanctuaries cities, the death penalty, o name a couple.
His entire political career has been one pushing the Progressive policies of Woodrow Wilson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibikiR View Post
Plus the millions of rivets that suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
That’s funny!
?The constitutional right to bear arms in public for self-defense is not a ?second-class right,? subject to an entirely different body of rules than the other Bill of Rights guarantees.? ?.. "We know of no other constitutional rights that an individual may exercise only after demonstrating to government officers some special need."
- Justice Clarence Thomas

Last edited by sirgrumps; 04-14-2019 at 10:15 AM..
Old 04-14-2019, 3:46 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen 3 articles use the 10/22 with larger mags. They should use the drums to make it scarier, or the glock stick ...
Old 04-14-2019, 7:27 PM

I bet the retail sales, even if we could get an exact number, is less than half the total. I know I only purchased new about half of the total quantity of SCMs that I now legally own.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Permanent legal status for undocumented magazines.
Old 04-15-2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillman View Post
Squib train Prop 1A

California Proposition 1A (2008)
Result........Votes...Percentage
Yes....... 6,680,485...52.70%
No........ 6,015,944...47.30%
Total.....12,696,429.100.00%
Voter turnout 79.42%

Maybe 6,015,944 magazines are in California?
That presumes just one mag per voter. I suspect that is on the very low side. Good analogy, though.
Old 04-15-2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
It was over 6 million.

Just trust me on that.
Only question is how much over 6 million. Based on how many of the volume sellers (e.g. Brownells, etc.) were out of stock over the weekend of 3/30 & 31, I suspect the actual number is closer to 12 million than 6 million.
Old 04-15-2019, 2:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

You guys are off the rails again...using logic, reasonable assumptions, facts and rational thought.

Idiots...these clowns don’t care. They care about their feelings...and they feel like many a couple thou made it in...

Now where were we...oh yeah, we need stricter gun laws because we have all these new evil death sticks now...
Old 04-15-2019, 2:56 PM

The GlockStore in San Diego had 1000 on line orders when they opened Monday am plus 500 walk in sales that day....it was packed with guys buying mags when I was there!!!

NRA Life Member 45+ yrs
CRPA Life Member 45+ yrs
Navy Pilot Retired