Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-13-2019, 8:12 AM

Steel Challenge Sunday!!!
Old 07-13-2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
I'm not sure its any closer to me than Livermore but its still exciting to have another choice (again) here in the East Bay.
It's not closer to me but it's easier for me to get to USI via 4 (than driving up/down Vasco to Livermore) and, if the way they police the line at USI remains the same as b4, much less annoying and aggravating than shooting at Livermore.

There are also many more places to combine a trip w/when going to/from USI (like Costco, Harbor Freight, etc.) in order to avoid multiple trips driving that way.

Last edited by sgt1372; 07-13-2019 at 8:24 PM..
Old 07-14-2019, 6:04 PM

Roofs skinned

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2019, 8:32 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Does anyone know how they will be doing target stands? Will they have moveable target holders like at Sac Valley or stationary like Chabot had?
I would presume they'd do it however they used to but I've never shot there. I was always a Chabot regular.
Old 07-14-2019, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

I would imagine they will have something similar to Livermore.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So movable...shoot 25, 50, 75, 100 all from the same bench; just move the target holder.
Yes that was what I was thinking, not sure what Swagman00 is going on about but I guess he didn't realize I was responding to how the targets would be set up for different distances.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:45 PM
Hobnobbin' with a Goblin
CGN Contributor

Prior to closing USI had fixed wooden fences at 50 and 100yds on the rifle side. The cardboard backed target you received at the range house after paying slipped into the fence. Simple, inexpensive, and easy to replace.
-g
Old 07-14-2019, 10:39 PM
Shiny
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Prior to closing USI had fixed wooden fences at 50 and 100yds on the rifle side. The cardboard backed target you received at the range house after paying slipped into the fence. Simple, inexpensive, and easy to replace.
-g
I suppose they'll keep things the same as before; that's how things generally go anyway (assuming the same people running things).
Old 07-14-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I suppose they'll keep things the same as before; that's how things generally go anyway (assuming the same people running things).
It should be noted that the multi-purpose range presently uses movable target stands and there are no 50 yard berms in the new rifle range. It is my understanding that there will be target flexibility and I do not expect it to be as before. However, I am not an authority on this matter.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2019, 8:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowking View Post
Yes that was what I was thinking, not sure what Swagman00 is going on about but I guess he didn't realize I was responding to how the targets would be set up for different distances.
TBH I started that reply thinking about the stands then I went back on shift. Four hours later I reviewed the pictures and continued on something totally unrelated...

Anyway, one thing I keep thinking about are those wood trusses. I think something stronger like steel beams which Livermore does have would have been better. There's a few holes in the corregated steel roof panels there where careless people popped off rounds upward.

Recently I've been hung up on Synthwave that scatters Youtube.
Feel free to join if curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vP5tXXEcqw

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!
Old 07-15-2019, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
I wonder if wood beams and metal plates will be installed forward and above the shooting line?

Yes they will be ... no blue sky will be seen from any station to prevent the dimwits who cannot adjust their scopes or those who cannot aim to shoot above the berm or the hill ..

A few weeks ago one of those with an AR was shooting totally over the berm at Richmond and he just kept shooting without even knowing where his bullets went... I wish they gave an IQ test before they allow somebody to have a firearm

Anyways, here is another progress photos from this weekend.. .Things are really coming along nicely .. When it's finished this fall we will most likely have the nicest range in the Bay Area

Old 07-15-2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman00 View Post

Anyway, one thing I keep thinking about are those wood trusses. I think something stronger like steel beams which Livermore does have would have been better. There's a few holes in the corregated steel roof panels there where careless people popped off rounds upward.
Steel trusses are better for sure .. However, they are significantly more costly... From what was communicated at the club meetings, construction budget was already very tight and construction costs are high ...

Some of the actual work was done by volunteer members to save on costs and allow the range to be built .. The team is doing an amazing job saving costs and managing the job to deliver members and the public the best value for the money.

Most likely, steel trusses would not have been possible given how costly the project already is... From my understanding, every value engineering option was used to allow this range to be rebuilt.

I do not think many will look up to notice steel or wood trusses or mind when they have shade over their head or protection from the rain in the winter

Last edited by Tothemax; 07-15-2019 at 8:56 PM..
Old 07-15-2019, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Steel trusses are better for sure .. However, they are significantly more costly... From what was communicated at the club meetings, construction budget was already very tight and construction costs are high ...

Some of the actual work was done by volunteer members to save on costs and allow the range to be built .. The team is doing an amazing job saving costs and managing the job to deliver members and the public the best value for the money.

Most likely, steel trusses would not have been possible given how costly the project already is... From my understanding, every value engineering option was used to allow this range to be rebuilt.

I do not think many will look up to notice steel or wood trusses or mind when they have shade over their head or protection from the rain in the winter
Bare minimum or not all...wow...didn't know.

I would have understandably done the same. You can always cross the bridge for retrofits later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
Anyways, here is another progress photos from this weekend.. .Things are really coming along nicely .. When it's finished this fall we will most likely have the nicest range in the Bay Area

Judging by the size maybe the largest too. I'm jealous of the paved strip compared to the gravel at Livermore R&P.

Recently I've been hung up on Synthwave that scatters Youtube.
Feel free to join if curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vP5tXXEcqw

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!

Last edited by Swagman00; 07-15-2019 at 9:42 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 12:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Prepare for fees to double after this rebuild
Old 07-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Prepare for fees to double after this rebuild
What is the alternative? Not shooting at USI at all?

I'll gladly pay extra at USI to drive 15 minutes to the range in stead of 1 hour to Yolo (still no 100y last I checked) or about 2 hours to Sac Valley.

I only need 100y for zeroing.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyxcom View Post
What is the alternative? Not shooting at USI at all?

I'll gladly pay extra at USI to drive 15 minutes to the range in stead of 1 hour to Yolo (still no 100y last I checked) or about 2 hours to Sac Valley.

I only need 100y for zeroing.
Don't mind big perm he's got a company shooting spot you know he shoots with the "man".
Even thought I could go shooting on over a million+ private company land in 2 different states I still hope for USI to open up soon. LOL

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Last edited by jtv3062; 07-16-2019 at 12:31 PM..
Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 PM

Serious question... The location of the structures being built and setup look similar to what was torn down in 2014. Wasn't the reason it was torn down was because of possible fliers going over the hill? What exactly is being done to address that with this new design?

The progress looks good so far. I use to live on the other side of the hill less than 2 minutes away. Shot at the rifle and pistol range only a couple of times in 2014 before they closed. And a handful of times for trap and skeet. No longer my local range, but I'll be sure to visit once they open.
Old 07-17-2019, 9:39 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xX View Post
Serious question... The location of the structures being built and setup look similar to what was torn down in 2014. Wasn't the reason it was torn down was because of possible fliers going over the hill? What exactly is being done to address that with this new design?

The progress looks good so far. I use to live on the other side of the hill less than 2 minutes away. Shot at the rifle and pistol range only a couple of times in 2014 before they closed. And a handful of times for trap and skeet. No longer my local range, but I'll be sure to visit once they open.
Forward roof overhang to limit the 'sky view' and steel sheathing to prevent shooting through the roof.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-19-2019, 6:18 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Most of the recent posts regarding Livermore have been moved to their own thread, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1547055
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.