Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 07-06-2017, 5:58 PM

Default Not sure I'm going to make it

Not sure I'm going to make it but I'm giving my all!

I am turning in IIT3, IIT4 and full Red Hat instructor PCs this weekend. I aim to be California's newest Red Hat by the end of Sunday evening July 9th. I've been on the Instructor In Training path since the April 19th weekend 17th months ago and this orange hat is getting sun-faded. Its time to change it up!

Its going to be FLAMING hot in Piru. I'm bringing my customary 2L of gatoraid and 2L of water PER DAY. If you are on the line this weekend take extra precautions to stay cool and hydrated. You might want a cowboy's style handkerchief, dampened on your neck.

Stay in the bubble. Stay teachable. Stay on target.

See you there!

Last edited by hardlyworking; 07-06-2017 at 6:02 PM..
Old 07-06-2017, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Good luck!

I have only done one Appleseed, but have wanted to do the instructor thing for awhile now.

How hard is it? Is it a matter of putting in time and taking tests?

Do you have to get your rifleman patch first?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2017, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Wow. Me & my dad did Appleseed at Piru a few years ago in June. 90+ both days. Good onya for sticking with it. Is an honorable thing you guys do

~Pope John Paul II
Old 07-06-2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Good luck!

I have only done one Appleseed, but have wanted to do the instructor thing for awhile now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Minimum req is 1 appleseed and a Rifleman patch. After that its putting in the time, read the book, make steady (or not so steady) progress on your tests IIT0/1/2/3/4/RH. IIT4 is all about telling the stories, so start that ASAP and get one in every time you instruct and its easy to knock out.

Honestly I love being an instructor. All the Anti-2A people can do is stamp their feet. But every time I get up to teach, I have 15-40 people taking advantage of their unique freedoms. EVERY TIME. I do love this job.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:17 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Congrats on the accomplishments hardlyworking! They're lucky to have you.

Perked a potential riflemans interest today. I'll see if I can get a few out soon.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 AM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
Good luck!

Great questions.

We will take volunteers at any skill level. There is a program called the Blue Hats specifically for those who want to help before or without making the Rifleman score -- the Blue Hats help with setup, admin, clearing the line, and so on.

The more typical Instructor In Training (IIT), the Orange Hats, is intended for those who've been to two events and made the Rifleman score, however the Rifleman score can be temporarily waived so long as you're working on it. Oranges do the same as Blues except they also may serve as Line Boss, work on giving points of instruction, telling history, and so on. An Orange Hat will eventually do everything except the behind-the-scenes stuff, and for legal reasons a few things must be done by full Red Hat instructors.

The IITs go through four stages, each gated by a progress check, which mostly consists of performing the various points of instruction to standards (usually done during a class). Typically the Inches-Minutes-Clicks discussion and the Three Strikes of the Match are the ones Oranges work on the hardest. Occasionally we have enough Oranges to put on an Instructor Boot Camp (IBC) to work on our skills.

How hard is it is up to you. I have known Oranges who didn't want to go beyond IIT2, and that's fine. Some don't want to tell the history cuz' they've got stage fright or something, and that's fine too although Appleseed is a great place to get over that.

It doesn't get a lot harder until you start reaching for Shoot Boss. And we work you through that transition by shadowing you through three events or more.

Keep in mind, however, even though we are volunteers, we are still professionals. Approach it from that mindset -- treat it as seriously as your other obligations as an American citizen -- and you'll find it well worth your time.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 07-09-2017, 5:55 AM

Jinxed it!

Post lunch, demoing sitting position in the blinding heat was too much. Got up, handed the demo rifle back to Bob and promptly threw up.

Was tended to by Bob (Shoot boss) and a few students. Sat in the shade and essentially soaked my whole upper body with ice water.

We finished early, skipping the end of day 1 AQT.

Came home, threw up again, legs cramped up, wife took me to Urgent Care, they sent me to ER where I got a nice comfy bed and several bags of IV fluids. UG!

Red Hat will have to wait until September when I can get back out again. Doc and Wife say no way I'm allowed to get back on the line today.

Lab results said that all the water I drank screwed up my salt balance - needed much more electrolytes.

I mention all of this as a cautionary tale to you all who sign up for summer time Appleseeds in SoCal - they are universally in HOT locations, there are no ranges at the beach. And even though I knew full well what to expect and I thought I had prepared, it got the best of me. Next time, more gatorade, more icewater on my neck, hat, shirt.

This just gives me time to brush up on my storytelling. I need to make things more conversational and less reading from a script.

Last edited by hardlyworking; 07-09-2017 at 6:17 AM..
Old 07-09-2017, 12:01 PM
CGSSA Leader

Yeah, watch the dehydration thing... about 50/50 water/Gatorade is best for me, and I dress as light as possible, but covered. Bottle is never far from my hand. The big thing is, don't do everything yourself and don't be afraid to take a break.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:19 PM

NorCal shoots get that way too. I don't like gatorade, so I usually have some cheeseits or something like that.