Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 03-04-2016, 6:41 AM

Default Beginers Pistol class for my daughter and I

Morning Calgunners,

Looking for a basic training hand pistol class for my 14 year daughter. I really want her to get into the spirit of the game and make it enjoyable for her. As she is not listening to my advices careful enough (she's 14 and I am her dad after all), I figured I have her join a basic pistol class with her to make it productive and fun. Looking for a class that will give her a basic safety, stance, hold and trigger manipulation information. I will go with her to make it a fun not too intimidating experience.

I am in SF, any advice on where (place and may be an instructor you prefer) to take the class?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 7:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

There are many instructors in the bay area, myself included. While I applaud your intent, some points to consider:

If she isn't interested to begin with, regular group training may not be the best approach. One basic premise of a group class is that everyone present wants to be there. If someone's there "because they have to be" then they won't be involved in the class. And because it's a group, the instructor won't be able to invest much time drawing them in and getting them engaged.

If she is interested in learning, it may be better if you weren't part of the group class. As a parent there's a natural tendancy for you to jump in and teach/correct her, which can be counterproductive.

Given all that if she's interested in learning about firearms there are a number of introductory classes out there. I have one coming up in two weeks. You can email me at robin@gunkraft.com for more details. If she isn't wild about firearms then I suggest a semi-private lesson for both of you. Ask the instructor to teach general safety, a basic two-handed grip and use "fun" shooting drills to keep her interested and engaged.

One last item to consider is some ranges have age restrictions. Good luck and I hope your daughter learns to enjoy the shooting sports as much as you do.
Old 03-06-2016, 2:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There is a program called Appleseed that teaches the history of shooting and the basic Army rifle program from WWII & Korea...

The program is inexpensive and gives a great history lesson... it is open to all ages......
http://appleseedinfo.org/

I know this is not a Pistol class, but marksmanship is marksmanship...

Taking the same training that her Grandfathers might have taken is interesting too...

The classes are very youth friendly.... I am sorry that I do not know of any pistol instructors in the SF bay area

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 03-09-2016, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

I would highly recommend a Women On Target class. Calgun's runs one monthly but unfortunately it's in So Cal. Try looking on the NRA Women On Target page and see if there's one close to you.

http://women.nra.org/womens-instruct...g-clinics.aspx

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Last edited by Ricky-Ray; 03-09-2016 at 9:52 PM..
Old 03-21-2016, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
USI Concord hosts Women On Target classes. Contact them for info.
They also hold them at Bullseye in San Rafael and at Richmond Rod and Gun in Richmond. Both of which may be closer than Concord if you are in SF itself per your OP. They also have them up in Sonoma Co. as well but I can't remember where they are held up there.
Old 03-26-2016, 4:45 PM
Calguns Addict

A CCW class is usually good to take as well.
Old 03-26-2016, 5:20 PM

For a new shooter it is often useful to have a .22 LR pistol or revolver.
Old 03-31-2016, 2:58 PM

Check with Reed's Indoor Range in Santa Clara. I'd suggest a couple of private lessons with one of the guys at Reed's. Private lessons may help with her comfort level prior to taking a class with 10-12 people in it.
Old 03-31-2016, 3:08 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you do a group class, make sure there are enough instructors for the students. We try to maintain a 3:1 ratio and that works out pretty well. Some students need a bit of attention and some need a lot.

If she has a friend, consider enrolling them both. A teen girl is generally unique in our classes, so a friend will help with that issue.

I agree with the comment that you probably shouldn't enroll with her. Also, let the instructors instruct and you watch and listen. Sit on your hands if necessary, but don't step in to "help".

Of course the one exception to that advice is if there is a safety problem the instructors don't notice. Then jump into action and get an instructor on it immediately.

Most of all, let her have fun!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:50 PM

Good Evening Gentlemen!!! Apologies for not replying earlier, but I had to be away for a while on business.

What a great set of advices!!! I have not expect anything less from this group!

I am still trying to decide where to take here and now that the weather is right again, this is at the top of the list.

I will report back with progress :-)

-useruser
Old 04-29-2016, 9:39 AM

Hello All,

Apologies for the thread necro...

I am in the South Bay area of Los Angeles.

On previous trips to AZ I've taken my 10yo daughter to the range where she's had a great time. She's shown a genuine interest in the sport and has taken really good direction regarding range safety and technique.

I've procured a Ruger 10/22 Take Down and a Walther P22 CA for her to start on.

Our understood agreement is that she's not to speak to her friends at school about shooting. She thinks my firearms are kept in AZ so there is really no conversation at home about firearms other than when's the next trip to AZ.

Two questions:

1. Are there any South Bay safety/technique classes geared towards children?

2.a. What are gun safety advocate parents doing to educate their children?
2.b. How are you dealing with obtuse parents or school administrators?
Old 04-29-2016, 11:26 AM
Vendor/Retailer

2a. I taught my elementary school age kids to never touch something that looks like a real firearm. Here's the basic Eddie Eagle plan:

1. Don't touch.
2. Walk (don't run) away.
3. Tell a responsible adult.

I reinforced that with surprise checks. I would take either a realistic looking non-firearm or a real one, safety check and show my wife it was unloaded, then put it someplace in the room and go about our normal business. The test was how our child would react upon seeing the item, or a trick "What's that? Can you show it to me?" question.

2b. When the subject comes up, I inform them I teach responsible firearm safety. As school administrators, I ask them which is better--ignorance or education? If they trot out chestnuts like "a child is killed by a gun every 15 seconds", I ask them if they knew that statistic was based on including 18 and 19 year old adults as "children". I then ask them, again as educators, if they believe it's important to draw conclusions based on well reasoned facts, rather than allow personal bias to justify using skewed data to support their own views?

Sorry but I can't help you with your first question.
Old 04-29-2016, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronite View Post
Check with Reed's Indoor Range in Santa Clara. I'd suggest a couple of private lessons with one of the guys at Reed's. Private lessons may help with her comfort level prior to taking a class with 10-12 people in it.
This ^^ If she enjoys the private lesson she will be more comfortable in a class with a bunch of people and ahead of most of the other students.