Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 06-16-2021, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Default Sig Cross, thoughts?

I've been looking at it, and I like it with its slim chassis design and really light.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You found them in stock somewhere?
Old 06-17-2021, 4:54 AM
Veteran Member

A gunstore in my area had a few in stock.
Old 06-17-2021, 6:31 AM

From a practicality stand point they seem like the perfect backwoods hunting rig where lots of hiking to hunt would take place, but I just have a hard time with the look personally, I am a traditionalist in aesthetics. Like the new Tesla pick up truck, a lot of new materials tech, but I do not like the Terminator look.
I personally would rather carry and look at a Walnut Winchester Model 70 featherweight with a leather M1907 sling . Also something about the pistol grip ergo's , I can shoot my AR15s well, but they just do not feel as comfortable as a traditional stock.
Old 06-17-2021, 9:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I used to have a Model 70 Featherweight. While it was very nice to look at, it doesn't have an adjustable cheekpiece, it doesn't have a short throw bolt, and it doesn't have a threaded muzzle. Some of those things may not matter to people in kali, but I looked around pretty hard for those attributes in a lightweight rifle, and the few I found were a lot more expensive than the SIG.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:00 PM
Calguns Addict

IIRC, I think they had some initial trigger problems, but it has been fixed.

I think it's a nice rifle and would buy one. It's not as light as some lightweight rifles, but seems durable, weatherproof, and highly adjustable. The folding stock makes it compact and easily packable too.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-17-2021, 1:12 PM

It's a interesting rifle forsure haven't seen one in the wild yet
Old 06-17-2021, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Good news is that Cabela's has .308 in stock.

Bad news, it's in Glendale AZ.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/sig-...nterfire-rifle
Old 06-17-2021, 8:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-17-2021, 8:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just checked...

6.5 in stock:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/798681625819

308 in stock:

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/798681625789

I want a 308; just need to sell some guns first.

-- Michael
Old 06-18-2021, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Been thinking of getting a 6.5 and really like the 18” barrel length of the Sig. Most 6.5s have 22-24” barrels for long range and I don’t really need or want that much barrel.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

As a hunter I really like the idea. I spend 99% of the time just lugging around the gun so I like them light and compact. A deer or hog isn’t going to notice your barrel length on a good shot.
Old 06-18-2021, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
Been thinking of getting a 6.5 and really like the 18” barrel length of the Sig. Most 6.5s have 22-24” barrels for long range and I don’t really need or want that much barrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
As a hunter I really like the idea. I spend 99% of the time just lugging around the gun so I like them light and compact. A deer or hog isn’t going to notice your barrel length on a good shot.
Been looking for it as my go to bolt gun all around. It really is the perfect crossover rifle. I have a 308 now in 24", and I think it's unnecessary for the distances I shoot at 90% of the time. Sure 1000 yards sounds great and do-able in a 24" 308 or even 6.5CM, but maybe once a decade I'll afford myself to that distance.

I even considered cutting down the 24" bull barrel to 16" and making it a stubby bull rifle.

New 6.5 or New 308, decisions decisions. With how ammo is nowadays, 308 seems to be the best bet.
Old 06-18-2021, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I hope next year they make them in 6.8 Western or 6.5 PRC.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-18-2021, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Heavier and less accurate than just about anything in the price range.
Old 06-18-2021, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
Heavier and less accurate than just about anything in the price range.
Sure, Tikka can come in lighter and cheaper. But I like the chassis design and weight for an all around gun, especially useful for hunting.

Even a Tikka in a MDT or XLR or their own chassis would still be heavier, I believe.

But I know for certain it's lighter than my Howa 24" bull barrel in a XLR chassis

I just need a sub 10lb gun, fully loaded.

Last edited by BucDan; 06-18-2021 at 8:51 PM..
Old 06-18-2021, 8:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I hope next year they make them in 6.8 Western or 6.5 PRC.
Doubt it. Those are long action, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
Been looking for it as my go to bolt gun all around. It really is the perfect crossover rifle. I have a 308 now in 24", and I think it's unnecessary for the distances I shoot at 90% of the time. Sure 1000 yards sounds great and do-able in a 24" 308 or even 6.5CM, but maybe once a decade I'll afford myself to that distance.

I even considered cutting down the 24" bull barrel to 16" and making it a stubby bull rifle.

New 6.5 or New 308, decisions decisions. With how ammo is nowadays, 308 seems to be the best bet.
Depends on what you want it for. If it's mostly hunting. 6.5 CM sounds best unless you're hunting large-boned critters. For me, it's .308 because I'm looking more for Scout rifle functionality. A big part of that is ammo availability and I already have a buttload of .308.
Old 06-18-2021, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post

Depends on what you want it for. If it's mostly hunting. 6.5 CM sounds best unless you're hunting large-boned critters. For me, it's .308 because I'm looking more for Scout rifle functionality. A big part of that is ammo availability and I already have a buttload of .308.
600 yards is all I'm looking for. It's not going to be a bench queen that eats only match grade ammo either, so steel case and surplus ammo will be used for fun for target.

.308 works for everything in CA.
Old 06-18-2021, 9:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For hunting purposes and most other serious purposes it sounds like 6.5 would suit you better. Shoots flatter and recoils much less (6.5 pound rifle, remember). It's a whole nuther situation for farting around ammo. There's a huge disparity in cost and availability.
Old 06-19-2021, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
600 yards is all I'm looking for. It's not going to be a bench queen that eats only match grade ammo either, so steel case and surplus ammo will be used for fun for target.

.308 works for everything in CA.
For what you're doing, the Sig Cross makes no sense on any level. Feeding it crap ammo means you won't be able to tell a difference between it and a $400 Ruger American. You can't just switch from steel cased garbage to match ammo without accuracy problems that persist. If you want to waste money to look cool to people who don't know much about long range shooting, the Sig is probably the right tool for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 06-19-2021, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No. Both the 6.8 Western and 6.5 PRC are short action cartridges.

Both are long range precision cartridges, but have more energy than the 6.5 Creedmoor, which makes them both better for hunting than the Creedmoor.

Sure the 6.5 Creedmoor can be used for elk sized game, but it's marginal at best and you better aim and hit very well. The extra energy of the 6.8 Western and 6.5 PRC make them more forgiving when hunting elk or moose.

Since this rifle is a hybrid (thus the "cross" name) spanning both LR precision target shooting and hunting, it would make sense to offer it in hybrid cartridges that are also considered "cross" for more than just deer sized game.

Last edited by k1dude; 06-19-2021 at 8:36 AM..
Old 06-19-2021, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
For hunting purposes and most other serious purposes it sounds like 6.5 would suit you better. Shoots flatter and recoils much less (6.5 pound rifle, remember). It's a whole nuther situation for farting around ammo. There's a huge disparity in cost and availability.
308 is just more common and easier to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post
For what you're doing, the Sig Cross makes no sense on any level. Feeding it crap ammo means you won't be able to tell a difference between it and a $400 Ruger American. You can't just switch from steel cased garbage to match ammo without accuracy problems that persist. If you want to waste money to look cool to people who don't know much about long range shooting, the Sig is probably the right tool for the job.
I get that, thus it fits the bill. Give me 1MOA out to 600, while being light, while able to shoot crap ammo in 1.5 MOA, works for me.

I'm not looking to compete against bench shooters with 26" bartlein barrels that only get used for 2000 rounds of handloads before being changed because it no longer shoots .5MOA.

Just different expectations and wants, is all. Also, the $400 ruger isn't in a chassis
Old 06-19-2021, 1:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
No. Both the 6.8 Western and 6.5 PRC are short action cartridges.

Both are long range precision cartridges, but have more energy than the 6.5 Creedmoor, which makes them both better for hunting than the Creedmoor.

Sure the 6.5 Creedmoor can be used for elk sized game, but it's marginal at best and you better aim and hit very well. The extra energy of the 6.8 Western and 6.5 PRC make them more forgiving when hunting elk or moose.

Since this rifle is a hybrid (thus the "cross" name) spanning both LR precision target shooting and hunting, it would make sense to offer it in hybrid cartridges that are also considered "cross" for more than just deer sized game.
The 6.5 PRC in a short action is sub-optimal, but I guess factory ammo is loaded short. I don't know for sure. My rifle came with a magazine without binder plate for a little extra bullet room.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The 6.5 PRC in a short action is sub-optimal, but I guess factory ammo is loaded short. I don't know for sure. My rifle came with a magazine without binder plate for a little extra bullet room.
6.5 PRC is a tad long for a short action. But certain mags accommodate that tiny bit of extra length.