Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-08-2019, 7:52 AM
Veteran Member

This is why you have multiples. Don't change mags - grab the next weapon. Repeat until threat is neutralized.
Old 11-08-2019, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny1 View Post
S
As the title says, is this a dangerous situation?
Yes, although the 10 round limit is a bigger issue.

You'd be better off using a featureless rifle with a standard capacity magazine acquired during freedom week.

Quote:
Currently I keep a 1911 at the bedside and an 870 with 8+1 of #00 nearby, seems perfectly adequate. So what is the AR's place beside the fact there are just plain fun, SHTF?
ARs are more effective at stopping attackers, easier to use, have greater capacity for multiple assailants, and can be less dangerous when misses go through walls.
Old 11-08-2019, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle ronin View Post
I am sure the home invaders will wait for you to clear your AR jam, and click the safety off your 1911.
I'm sorry, you're right, Glock is the best gun ever made.
Old 11-08-2019, 8:19 AM

Point taken on the featureless rifle.

This is what I love about calguns. Thoughtful and useful opinions without the shaming
Old 11-08-2019, 8:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Principals are not worth dying over. Get a 14.5" pinned featureless home defense rifle and hide it from all your critical friends. The bad guys won't care as much.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:03 AM

As completely retarded as the grip fin is, it doesn't hurt my fighting ability in the slightest.

I am just as effective as without it. It is a non issue.

The fin does serve one important service - It reminds me of how much I hate Demoncrats every time I pick up my rifle.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Well, for their price point, reliability, ammunition capacity, ease of use, aftermarket wares, then, yes, yes they are.

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. Then appeared a large red-glowing pit with gavin newscum, diane frankenstein and governor "brown the drain" at the bottom of it, waving their pitchforks at me.
(Non caps intended)
Old 11-08-2019, 11:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
This is why you have multiples. Don't change mags - grab the next weapon. Repeat until threat is neutralized.
Lugging multiple rifles with ten rounders and transitioning from one rifle to the next is faster than shooting 30, 40, 60 at a time and swapping mags? I guess those D-50's and D-60's must be really heavy because five or six AR's are heavy and transitions are not as fast as flicking a mouse scroll wheel (IMHO).
Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Maybe debatable, but everyone and their mom's gun company makes a Glock knock-off for a reason.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM

I couldn't imagine it being anything less than horrible trying to clear a malfunction in a mag locked rifle in a home defense scenario.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Get a 14.5" pinned featureless home defense rifle and hide it from all your critical friends.
A valid point if this was my reasoning.

My principals, whatever they may be are my own. If I was worried about what my friends thought I would buy another Glock ....... then sell it to one of them.

Look, I'm not bashing Glocks or trying to compare them to a 1911, no comparison as they are two completely different animals both having there merits and faults, yes I said Glocks have faults, get over it. That being said aren't there like over a million threads doing all that?

If you want to be a fan boy for something start your own thread. Thanks for all the relevant replies but I'm out!
Old 11-08-2019, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Maybe debatable, but everyone and their mom's gun company makes a Glock knock-off for a reason.
And none of them are exactly like a Glock. They all seek to fix things that are wrong with it, like the stupid grip angle which NONE of them copy from Glock, or to make them cheaper.
Old 11-08-2019, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
And none of them are exactly like a Glock. They all seek to fix things that are wrong with it, like the stupid grip angle which NONE of them copy from Glock, or to make them cheaper.
None are really cheaper here except the Shield and the XD's. Neither one of these are any better IMHO. I would most likely really enjoy shooting Caniks and CZ P10C's if I lived in a free state and owned several.

Walther Glocks are pretty decent, and people seem to worship them. I have a PPQ and a Q5 slide with a RDS on it, but I would not say it is any better than a Glock MOS. Because of the Glock system, Glocks are better IMHO.
Old 11-08-2019, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If I was worried about what my friends thought I would buy another Glock ....... then sell it to one of them.

Look, I'm not bashing Glocks or trying to compare them to a 1911, no comparison as they are two completely different animals
I dunno who even brought up Glocks here, but I am always down to talk about Glocks, hahah.

I thought we were talking about featureless AR's... a little folded piece of kydex or an improved grip with fin and thumb rests doesn't change the functionality of the rifle IMHO. It is good and works. Brakes, comps, a fixed stock that fits you is not a big deal. Magpul fixed carbine stocks are great.

Start messing with the mag release and opening the action to change a mag and then you've ruined it.
Old 11-08-2019, 3:33 PM

I usually keep a 12 guage for HD, I was thinking about converting my 300BLk to featureless, all I'd need to do is pin the stock and get a fin type grip, my muzzle device is a fake suppressor so I think I'm fine with that, but I wouldn't use a mag locked gun for HD, I've tried most of the lock devices and I wouldn't risk my life or the lives of my family members on guns equipped with mag locks.
Old 11-08-2019, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Only read the op.

Defending yourself with a mag locked ar is stupid.

If you have to change mags in an hd situation, you probably have bigger problems than needing to change mags.
Old 11-08-2019, 7:27 PM

This is the reason I took a break from calguns before. Asking for help and opinions just opens one up to insults and condescending remarks. Excuse me once again for not knowing everything about everything, having a different perspective than you or being just plane ignorant to something that may be obvious to you. Oh, and don't forget me not getting on my knees and praying to your favorite firearm.

Actually I really could bare all that but what really breaks the deal for me is some not understanding what sarcasm is, but don't worry, I here that California is going to outlaw it.
Old 11-09-2019, 8:02 AM

I brought up the Glocks, only to the point the OP made about multiple attackers scenario. I gave my opinion on getting a featureless ar and ditching his 1911 for a Glock, reasoning so, because some people have claimed to have issues with finding the safety in a critical moment.

Then, OP, you had some passive aggressive wording and joking, which if fine, I can take it. But be ready for a just- as- passive aggresive-return retort, and don't get hurt about it. I understand your adhesion to your 1911 and money invested and is shoots well for you. Good for you. I was just pointing out a flaw with using a 1911 for HD. Not a big flaw, and not even a flaw if other guns don't work for you. But, although a Glock doesn't work for you, you cannot deny the fact of the world armies and law enforcement that use Glocks, as the old addage says, not all those users can be wrong if so many are using them.

Oh yeah....then the earth splits open with me on one side and the (off roster gun) on the other. Then appeared a large red-glowing pit with gavin newscum, diane frankenstein and governor "brown the drain" at the bottom of it, waving their pitchforks at me.
(Non caps intended)

Last edited by Rifle ronin; 11-09-2019 at 1:40 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 8:02 AM

Fixed

(Non caps intended)

Last edited by Rifle ronin; 11-09-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Old 11-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

On principle? Swallow your pride and go featureless. Take into consideration worse case scenario and i guarantee that having 30rd freedom week mags along with a regular magazine drop will score high in your decision making process.

That said, I’m also a one-option (less is more) guy. But having three options when something goes bump in the night is up to you.

Good luck Op.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 8:00 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Try to clear a double feed and you'll answer your own question.
wrong.

i've posted many videos of this and this was my main reason for designing the system that I came up with.

www.adaptivetacticalgear.com

www.armaglock.com

IN ADDITION:
Purchase any 2 locking kits and get 20% off
Purchase any 3 locking kits and get 25% off
Purchase any 4 or more locking kits and get 30% off

Kingpin and Hyperswitch FAQ and troubleshoot[/B]

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1428078
Old 11-10-2019, 9:13 AM
Calguns Addict

There are a dozen logical reasons have to use a mag-locked AR.
There is not a single logical reason to not go featureless.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 11-10-2019, 9:23 AM

Likely scenario at range for new shooters:

Newb: Cool, I just got my first AR (maglocked) and I can use anything on it, pistol grip, flash hide, forward grip, etc etc. My gun looks so tactical, I'm going to go to range.
-Gets to range and buys 100 rounds at range.
-First shot, double feed.
-Calls RSO, and after trying to clear malfunction for quite sometime, RSO says no-go.
-Newb attempts to fix AR at range, but RSO stops user from gunsmithing/gun cleaning at range (since it is against rules at most if not all ranges)
-Newb sadface, embarrassed, has no other gun to shoot and since he went to range alone, can't rent guns.
-Newb tries to take ammo home, but is stopped saying he can not do so and has to give ammo to fellow shooters.
-Newb is out of range money, ammo money, and goes home sadface.

Don't be like Newb, don't get mag-lock, Go Featureless.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

My cousin just bought one of those Ruger featureless rifles from Sportsman's for $350 and he brought it over. We were checking it out and neither of us likes the HERA with the thumbhole block, but the stock is pretty good quality. He checked out the different featureless options on some of my rifles and I figured he'd like the thumbrest fin grips with a Magpul fixed carbine stock for price and looks. He liked the Thordo gen2 by far. He likes the functionality of the Thordo the most.

You have to figure out the one you are comfortable with. Well worth it to legally use more than a ten rounder and have a real mag release.
Old 11-10-2019, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I brought up the Glocks, only to the point the OP made about multiple attackers scenario. I gave my opinion on getting a featureless ar and ditching his 1911 for a Glock, reasoning so, because some people have claimed to have issues with finding the safety in a critical moment.

Then, OP, you had some passive aggressive wording and joking, which if fine, I can take it. But be ready for a just- as- passive aggresive-return retort, and don't get hurt about it. I understand your adhesion to your 1911 and money invested and is shoots well for you. Good for you. I was just pointing out a flaw with using a 1911 for HD. Not a big flaw, and not even a flaw if other guns don't work for you. But, although a Glock doesn't work for you, you cannot deny the fact of the world armies and law enforcement that use Glocks, as the old addage says, not all those users can be wrong if so many are using them.
Are you talking Glock trigger on AR? I don't see how safety on 1911 would be any harder to find than an AR safety.

I think a mission adaptable AR and a 1911 would be fine.
Old 11-10-2019, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Lol, this is sig worthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
My cousin just bought one of those Ruger featureless rifles from Sportsman's for $350 and he brought it over. We were checking it out and neither of us likes the HERA...
OMG I saw those at that price an flipped! Of course I had just gotten back from Sonoma county and had exactly ZERO dollars... The next day I checked again and the price was back up.
Old 11-10-2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Are you talking Glock trigger on AR? I don't see how safety on 1911 would be any harder to find than an AR safety.

I think a mission adaptable AR and a 1911 would be fine.
Who said a Glock trigger on an AR? show me where I said that? At no time did I mention that, at all anywhere.

No, that's not what im talking about. At no time was I comparing a Glock trigger or an AR safety with a a 1911 safety, but now that you mention it, I would prefer my glock safety mechanism all week and twice on Sunday over a 1911 safety and an AR safety in a home invasion senario. But hey, that is my opinion.

Good for you, thats your opinion and you can try to live by it. Good luck with your HD option.

(Non caps intended)
Old 11-10-2019, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I brought up the Glocks, only to the point the OP made about multiple attackers scenario. I gave my opinion on getting a featureless ar and ditching his 1911 for a Glock, reasoning so, because some people have claimed to have issues with finding the safety in a critical moment .

Quote:
Who said a Glock trigger on an AR? show me where I said that? At no time did I mention that, at all anywhere.

No, that's not what im talking about. At no time was I comparing a Glock trigger or an AR safety with a a 1911 safety, but now that you mention it, I would prefer my glock safety mechanism all week and twice on Sunday over a 1911 safety and an AR safety in a home invasion senario. But hey, that is my opinion.

Good for you, thats your opinion and you can try to live by it. Good luck with your HD option.
Thought safety might be one one of the feature you were ditching on you featureless AR, so it would be as good as a Glock.

LOL a mission adaptable AR is just a featureless AR with Magpul MIAD grip with back fin, safety is still on it though.
Old 11-10-2019, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Thought safety might be one one of the feature you were ditching on you featureless AR, so it would be as good as a Glock.

LOL a mission adaptable AR is just a featureless AR with Magpul MIAD grip with back fin, safety is still on it though.
Good for you, (a mission adaptable featureless AR? WTM?)thats your opinion and you can try to live by it. Good luck with your HD option.

(Non caps intended)

Last edited by Rifle ronin; 11-11-2019 at 8:20 AM..
Old 11-15-2019, 6:59 AM
No Prisoners!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
IMHO, I would never use a mag locked 10 round rifle for HD. Between 10 round limit and a complex change process, for me, featureless was the way to go.......
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-15-2019, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
Why do people care so much about how their gun looks when considering it for personal defense? I don't care how ugly or stupid my gun or AR looks so long as it can shoot lead at my intended target and do so quickly and reliably. Featureless is a no brainer.
Because it's NOT for personal defense. Most of us have it because it looks cool, but we say "personal defense" to justify it. Here is a great example. Him: "Hey Donk310, how many AR15's do you have?" Me: "I have, umm... I think about 8." Him "Why do you need so many AR15's?" Me: "For personal defense".
Old 11-15-2019, 10:06 AM

I now have a mix of both featureless and CA compliant fixed mag rifles. They both suck in their own ways. I used to be primarily a rifle guy. Always took a bunch of rifles to the range when my handguns just kinda' sat. Now the handguns see a lot of range time, and the rifles sit mostly. It's also got me shooting some other rifles that I never really took out. My SCAR17 turned featureless and sucks now. It's deep in the back of the safe, but my ACR which sucked before, and was in the back of the safe, also turned featureless is now a joy to shoot. It's now in the front. It's changed the game for me a lot. I keep most of my AR's mag locked, because they are just for looks. All I do is walk around the house with them pretending to be a Navy Seal with my plate carrier and all that stuff on.

Last edited by Donk310; 11-15-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Old 11-15-2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Specifically for home defense.

Having not registering my AR as an AW I'm left with a fixed mag option. On principal I can't go featureless, stupid, yes but if I want to go that route I would just get another rifle. Currently I have an AR Maglock installed. I know training is everything but I just can't get a mag change to be natural. Pulling the rear pin AND remembering the bolt must be forward to do so is the most awkward situation and doing it under stress seems unlikely for me.

The juggernaut system looks interesting but still has the same issue that the bolt must be forward. My friend suggested the Maglatch FNGR as an option to keep the gun in essentially an illegal state which could be made compliant in seconds but that is just asking for some attorney to twist that every which way.

I consider myself having above average gun handling skills and I shoot 3-4 times a month but by no means am I an "operator". I'm sure there are some that could manipulate these functions in a panic but I doubt it's common.

As the title says, is this a dangerous situation? Has anyone ever been injured or killed because they could't perform a mag change? I'm sure some are thinking that a scenario where multiple attackers are coming in your home is unlikely but my feeling is plan and prepare for the worst to get the best possible outcome.

Currently I keep a 1911 at the bedside and an 870 with 8+1 of #00 nearby, seems perfectly adequate. So what is the AR's place beside the fact there are just plain fun, SHTF?
Not sure why your "principles" won't let you go featureless. How is mag-lock more principled than featureless?

I'll take featureless over mag-lock any day. If I were ever in some unlikely HD scenario, the funky pistol grip would be way less of a hindrance than the mag-lock BS.

I have Juggernaut ARs, and they are fun range toys because I can have all of the free state stuff like flash hiders and adjustable stocks.

My HD gun is a Glock 17 with Freedom Week 30 round mags.
Old 11-15-2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post
Not sure why your "principles" won't let you go featureless. How is mag-lock more principled than featureless?

LOL! Not sure you know exactly what a "principle" is.
Old 11-15-2019, 5:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am sure the home invaders will wait for you to clear your AR jam, and click the safety off your 1911.
Just curious, do you remove the manual safeties from all your rifles and shotguns?
Old 11-15-2019, 5:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Back on topic:
- CA-legal AR really needs to be featureless to function right (unless you have a early registered RAW).
- A mag locked 10 round anything is not the go-to tool for HD.
- Consider something like a Ruger PC9 or M1 Carbine or similar for the HD role if a featureless AR is something that you just can't tolerate.
Old 11-15-2019, 5:31 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Featureless isn't stupid, just takes practice. I don't even try to wrap my thumb around the grip anymore. Feels natural now.

Is using a maglocked gun for HD stupid though? I think HD situations requiring more than 10 rifle rounds are exceedingly rare.
Old 11-15-2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
IMHO, I would never use a mag locked 10 round rifle for HD. Between 10 round limit and a complex change process, for me, featureless was the way to go. Thordson stock was the answer for me, slight grip angle difference and I get to keep handling and functionality.
This.

Not going featureless and hamstringing yourself with crappy options like fixed mags makes zero sense. When the laws change (I believe they will, eventually), you can always put the original furniture back on. But to keep the look of the original rifle but make it stupidly complicated to operate is not very smart in my book.

Go featureless and thumb your nose at the stupid laws. Keep your regular mag release and use standard capacity magazines.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 11-15-2019, 7:24 PM

Featureless is ok. And it is better than registering with a gun with the damn government.

Here is mine I just built.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ar.jpg (95.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-15-2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Just curious, do you remove the manual safeties from all your rifles and shotguns?
I don't remove it on an ar, just don't use it. Locked and loaded every night, stored safely during the day. The Glock is a Glock, no safety to click.

(Non caps intended)

Last edited by Rifle ronin; 11-15-2019 at 8:13 PM..