Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 11-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Default Hunting Day Pack

Howdy fellow hunters! For the past few years, I have carried a hip/fanny pack of sorts when deer and pig hunting. I recently got a Badlands Bino XR carrier to carry my binos and range finder. Since the XR case has the traps of a backpack, I have been thinking about carrying a backpack instead of the hip pack. Generally speaking, I only carry my license, cell phone (for pictures if necessary), spare ammo, water and granola bar, extra knife, first aid, and radio. If the hunts are longer, then the amount of water and food goes up, but that's about it. The idea of going on much longer stalking hunts have been coming up, so I thought I'd plan ahead with an actual backpack. This way, I can use a hydration bladder, carry a light jacket, flashlights, etc. in case things turn south.

So, does anyone use a backpack, and does anyone have experiences with the Badlands Superday pack?

https://www.badlandsgear.com/products/superday

Jerry
Old 11-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I use my exo 4800 for day hunts and longer. Collapses small enough and expands big enough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 11-07-2019, 12:25 PM

I use a pretty ordinary day pack that holds a pair of one liter water bottles, snacks, small first aid kit, binos when I'm not wearing them, extra layer, extra head covering, field dressing tools and gloves. My wife has been encouraging me to get a better day pack that has a hip belt so it rides better.

I also have an external frame backpack that I'd use if I had to carry a critter out of the field. Add a couple of Kirkland unscented trash compactor bags - they're much tougher than ordinary white or black trash bags so they're less likely to tear and leave blood all over the place.
Old 11-07-2019, 1:11 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a back pack from Bass Pro with hydration bladder that has worked well for me.
Old 11-07-2019, 1:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Another EXO MTN Gear user here. Really good packs, however i do not have anything else to compare too. Except maybe an older 511 backpack without internal frame.

Currently using a K2-3500, K3-3200 and K3-4800(not in use yet). Really good comfy packs. Their customer support is awesome too.
Old 11-07-2019, 2:17 PM

I have the badlands summit pack. Its probably a lot bigger than what you’re looking for but It’s been great to me. It hauled a nice muley a few miles out of the mountains this year during archery season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 842D9D5D-C234-4E37-8EFC-8D873B6839AE.jpg (15.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by TheDadLife; 11-07-2019 at 2:21 PM..
Old 11-07-2019, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the pursuit (smaller) and wish it was bigger for day hunts. I also have one of their big packs for multi-day trips and/or hauling meat. Both are great.

If I was in your shoes, I would get the VARIO DAY OS. It converts from a lite day pack to a pack frame for hauling meat. Check it out.

Their products seem top notch without being overly expensive like some of the $500 packs. You dont need a $500 pack reguardless of what podcaster or youtube celebrity says.
Old 11-07-2019, 2:49 PM

I have two. depending how far I plan on venturing out.
shorter or closer to camp/road hunts I have this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If I go further out for deer and elk, I can fit a quarter of an elk in there. last thing you want to do is be out 2 miles out and can't pack everything out or have to make an extra trip
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 11-07-2019, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

I run an Exo K2 3500. Thing carries weight like so well, felt wt is about cut in half. You can run 5+ days out of it or compress it down for day use. CS, if needed, is excellent as well. Exo packs are designed by dudes that hunt so they work as intended.
I wouldn't drop 250 for that made in China/Vietnam pack. Spend about 150 more for a used Exo. After boots, a great riding pack is your next most important piece of gear, IMO. Don't skimp. Rokslide classifieds should have some used K2's since the new K3 is out.
Old 11-07-2019, 4:43 PM

Been using a small Badlands pack for over a decade(no hip belt). Now using a Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80 for longer/more equipment.
Old 11-07-2019, 5:09 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

THank you all for the recommendations, but I'm somewhat committed to Badlands because I absolutely LOVE the bino/range finder case. I don't want to switch to a different one because there will also be plenty of quick hunts where a backpack isn't needed, and I'll be switching back and forth with the fanny pack style I'm currently using.

At the moment, we are only hunting coastal bucks, which are tiny. We gut them on the spot and convert them into a backpack and carry them out whole, or if possible, drag it to the road and radio for a truck. I don't have plans for an elk hunt or anything, but when I do, I'll revisit the EXO packs and similar with a real frame. Until then, I'm planning to stick with Badlands.

Jerry
Old 11-07-2019, 6:37 PM

I have a Badlands 2200, its perfect size for a day hunt and has a meat shelf which the superday doesnt have

https://www.badlandsgear.com/product...30739922321457
Old 11-07-2019, 8:19 PM

I’ve been using Nimrod packs, but will probably switch to using a Hill People Gear Pack.

UnderTheTreeBBQ-Instagram
UTTbbq's SoCalgrill -Facebook

Unapologetic predator hunter
team SBR shotgun•bow•rifle
HARDCORE public land hunters
Old 11-07-2019, 8:57 PM
CGSSA Associate

Crew cab from mystery ranch.
Pulled lots of elk, deer & my camp ......1 mile to 7 Miles no issues.
Old 11-08-2019, 8:44 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I think you could use just about any backpack then. No need to drop big $ on a badlands unless you want too. Also look for used packs. I found a badlands 2200 for $100 on craigslist a few years back that was brand new. The guy was sponsored by badlands or something and never had used it and was given a newer model or bigger one or whatever the story was. I see they are like $250 now.

I've found that the bigger my pack is the more crap I'll want to bring. Where I hunt I use a badlands model that is no longer made but it's smaller than a Kali. I got it for $75 new but really I have a crooked horn backpack or a cabelas fannypack with shoulder straps that I used for years that works fine too. I have an external frame pack if I really kill something in a hole or otherwise I'll drive my quad to it or drag it to where I can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:23 AM

I prefer packs with some softer material than nylon to keep the noise down. My main pack is made by Timber Hawk. Nothing fancy about it. I can't remember where I picked it up but it wasn't an expensive pack by any stretch. It can take a large hydration pack but I usually take a bottle in the side net and store a foam pad in the main compartment to use as a seat. It has all the compartments & adjustments I need for a day pack. It also has buckles and straps to attach binos to the pack on the chest. I still prefer a harness but it's a decent setup.

It has barely enough capacity, though. My gear is fairly minimal. But having to take off layers throughout the day means that it's bulging with a jacket and/or vest stuffed in by afternoon.

I also use the Merlin day pack that came with my SeekOutside Goshawk (frame pack). It's a lot smaller than my usual Timber Hawk so I have to get a lot more creative about storing layers of clothing to the outside of the pack, around my body, etc. But for setting up a base camp & then spending most of the day out and about, it's a pretty decent setup that doesn't require that I haul a full-size daypack on top of my frame pack, which adds a lot more weight and bulk.

Last edited by CVShooter; 11-08-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 AM

I have a badlands diablo dos which has an internal frame. It was very comfortable during the hot hunts and hikes for me. Carried my gear and water comfortably. I love that it has keeps my back cool and not sweaty. I have the bow boot as well as the rifle boot. It is a solid bag. I honesty got it for $20 on clearance or price mistake. I asked the employees and they confirmed $20. I bought it like I stole it! Retails for $270

Also have a field line tactical Kodiak day pack. It is nice, not waterproof, but comfortable and has many pockets. I use it for day hunting or attach it to my frame. It matches well to my frame. It is less than $50 for a solid bag and lifetime warranty.

I have a badlands quiet reaper for tree stand hunting. It is a smaller bag, very comfortable, and has no zipper to get in and out. it is comfortable. I use it in Arkansas since I do not have to hike much at all. It has the limited gear I need. When I am in the tree stand, I can get things in and out quietly.
I got it for $40, retails for$130.

Lots of places have deals. Camofire.com is good and check for clearances. I purchased all 3 bags from Sportsmans Warehouse.

My fishing and Outdoors channel on YouTube http://YouTube.com/JaimeAstin