Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Default Eotech VS ACOG

Having been in the Marines, I have ACOGs on my two rifles (one is mine, one is my wife's). Am now thinking that a zero-magnification Eotech is a better choice for close in, rapid-acquisition shooting (100 M or less). It's what my department uses. Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

For close range, I think Eotech is the best. The reticle is easy to see and the large window makes target acquisition extremely fast. The only downside is battery life. For SHTF I settled on Aimpoint Micros for more battery life and lower weight. But for shooting sports, I much prefer Eotech.

I have an ACOG and using the Bindon Aiming Concept is not as fast as an Aimpoint or Eotech, especially with the ACOG's limited eye relief.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:08 PM

You may wanna consider piggybacking a mini red dot sight such as an rmr on your acogs. Best of both worlds if you ask me.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Ditto

I have and use all three. As teflondog mentioned I think for close work ( within a 100Yds,) the Eotech's are tough to beat. Large 65MOA reticle is easy to acquire fast, especially with the larger viewing window on the Eotech's. Like him I prefer the long battery life of the Aimpoint Micro's like the T2's for a gun that may be stored and pulled for SD.
For my old eyes though I use a XPS3-2 on my HD/SD guns.
I need a pair of glasses to read my smartphone these days though so consider the source

Last edited by Daze; 11-04-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Old 11-04-2019, 12:32 PM

Like most folks said, Eotech for closer than 100 yards and anything over I would go Acog or Specter DR. For me weight was never an issue and is still not an issue, thus prefer the Elcan over both.

Take both to the range and see what YOU like better.

US Military Veteran 1994-2015
Old 11-04-2019, 12:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historyhunter View Post
Having been in the Marines, I have ACOGs on my two rifles (one is mine, one is my wife's). Am now thinking that a zero-magnification Eotech is a better choice for close in, rapid-acquisition shooting (100 M or less). It's what my department uses. Thoughts?
I use ACOG's in a chevron green TA33 and red doughnut TA11, and they have the best eye relief IMO. No more nosing the CH when you mount the rifle. Up close or far away is no big deal. BIC is a no brainer to use.

I also use an Aimpoint M4 /2moa; other than changing the batt once every decade it also plays well except for canting issues if I'm in a hurry. Not as great for longer ranges. Still very capable of the 400yd shot depending on my zero. (35yd is my 556-16' bbl zero

I've tried ET's on AR clones and decided to take a pass. Batt life and no power without adding a swing away to it. Extra $$.

If my job was to clear rooms of criminal rats for a living I think the EoTech would be my go-to sight. Just have to remember that the ET uses the bottom of the reticle to hit things more precisely at close 7yds ranges. Tactical haircut ranges.

My opinions only. YMMV
*If you can get the ET at a dept discount that could mean something extra for you depending on how deep the discount is.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 11-04-2019 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: derped fargin smell checker
Old 11-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Holding on center, with a 50/200 yard zero, I shoot steel silhouettes at Angeles out to 300 yards with my old Eotechs.

I also prefer their huge field of view for co-witnessing with irons.

However, to be totally honest, Eotech's current warranty policy way's a bit on my conscience. http://www.eotechinc.com/sites/defau...ns_of_Sale.pdf
Old 11-04-2019, 7:20 PM

Own both and a few varieties. Yes, if you want a eotech go for it. Yes you could add a red dot to the acog but if you want to factor weight and ergonomics in then a simple eotech or even a aimpoint will work for you. But try before you buy if you can. All down to preference.
Old 11-04-2019, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Unless you’re mil trained with the acog for cab, at less than 100 yards, eotech will always win.

Eye relief + large sight picture + holographic parallax free reticle that moves with you will always win the speed game at that range.
Old 11-04-2019, 9:38 PM

Use a weapon mounted flashlight to aim if you're that close. Otherwise, ACOG is great 50yrds and beyond.
Old 11-05-2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historyhunter View Post
Look at Aimpoint.
Seriously.

Considering the history of issues that Eotech has gone through....

I've had 2 Eotechs, and both required service.
One fogged up during training in the rain...couldn't use BUIS when it happened.
The other started to de-laminate on the interior glass.
Still have both, and they have been OK the past couple years after the service was done.
But...I won't use them for a dedicated HD/CQB rifle

Aimpoint required a fresh battery after about 4 years of use.
Never fogged, or de-laminated, or failed in any way.
I will trust my life to an Aimpoint....or Trijicon optic everytime.

Aimpoint
Comp M5s

Old 11-05-2019, 4:45 PM

EOTech has the best reticle for CQB, period. You can also use the reticle with its 65MOA ring to range at distance if you're running a magnifier.

That being said, there are better options. Personally I run a LPVO with an offset MRDS.
Old 11-06-2019, 6:53 PM

I have both a Eotech and Acog and like them both a lot, but I also really like my Aimpoint lol, I don't discriminate when it comes to optocs. But I primarily run Acog with a RMR now.
Old 11-06-2019, 7:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Caliber Carbines View Post
Look at Aimpoint.
Seriously.

Considering the history of issues that Eotech has gone through....

I've had 2 Eotechs, and both required service.
One fogged up during training in the rain...couldn't use BUIS when it happened.
The other started to de-laminate on the interior glass.
Still have both, and they have been OK the past couple years after the service was done.
But...I won't use them for a dedicated HD/CQB rifle

Aimpoint required a fresh battery after about 4 years of use.
Never fogged, or de-laminated, or failed in any way.
I will trust my life to an Aimpoint....or Trijicon optic everytime.

Aimpoint
Comp M5s

What logo did these eotechs have?
Old 11-06-2019, 8:23 PM

Have Eotechs, an ACOG and an Aimpoint. Prefer the Eotechs, but mine are old, don't have any experience with new ones.
Old 11-06-2019, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

From what i hear, new Eotechs were hardened to meet sopmod requirements to survive a much higher recoil pulse. It also seems L3 did something about thermal drift. I’d personally not hesitate to run one and for cqb, it and the Vortex UH-1 are probably the fastest on target optics currently around. IMO of course.
Old 11-07-2019, 7:58 AM

I just sold all 3 of my Eotechs 512. The short battery life was a major issue. Plus they just didn't feel right for me. I love the Acog and aimpoint.
Old 11-08-2019, 3:15 AM

Acogs are nice, but not a fan of the Eye Relief. As far as Eotech, Love em. Eye Relief and Parallax Free.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a cogs and Eotech. For my money, the Eotech is much faster for target acquisition.