Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 09-30-2019, 4:40 AM

Default Malpasso v Pallozzi

Malpasso v Pallozzi SCOTUS Cert Petition Filed (9-26-2019)

MD case, Paul Clement for the 2A. If won, would strike the “good and substantial” MD restrictions on carrying a handgun outside the home for self-defense. Probably would also eliminate Cal.’s similar requirements.

https://www.msrpa.org/wp-content/upl...tion-FINAL.pdf.

Sorry, I cannot get the link to work.

// from the petition
The question presented is:
Whether the Second Amendment allows the government to prohibit typical, law-abiding citizens from carrying handguns outside the home for self-defense in any manner.
// Librarian
// also, fixed the link (took me a while to figure out what Ceros notes!)

Last edited by Librarian; 09-30-2019 at 9:10 AM..
Old 09-30-2019, 5:37 AM

https://www.msrpa.org/wp-content/upl...tion-FINAL.pdf is the correct link, they abbreviated the link by putting ... in it to shorten it, instead of highlighting it with your mouse and copy/pasting you need to right click it and copy link that way.
Old 09-30-2019, 7:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Cool!

It's in the 4th circuit which leans more liberal than our own 9th circuit. Trump hasn't yet reshaped that court. This case will lose at the circuit level but if the issue hasn't already been resolved at SCOTUS then eventually this case could be at that level

Edit: When I wrote that I didn't realize it was already at the cert stage.

Victoria "Tori" Rose Smith's life mattered.

Last edited by CCWFacts; 09-30-2019 at 8:24 PM..
Old 09-30-2019, 7:32 AM

Amusing that Mal Paso is also the name of Clint Eastwood's production company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malpaso_Productions
Old 09-30-2019, 2:20 PM

This case is now pending (cert. Petition) before the Supreme Court.

Saw this elsewhere, seems to sum it up:

Re. NYR&PA V. New York & Malpasso V. Pallozzi

“Let us hope Justice Thomas writes the controlling opinion and kicks the butt of those progressive judges, and justices who have evaded (by sidestepping) the settled law of Heller and McDonald for over ten years"
Old 09-30-2019, 3:33 PM

The case's page on the Supreme Court website
Old 10-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjackcooper View Post
This case is now pending (cert. Petition) before the Supreme Court.

Saw this elsewhere, seems to sum it up:

Re. NYR&PA V. New York & Malpasso V. Pallozzi

“Let us hope Justice Thomas writes the controlling opinion and kicks the butt of those progressive judges, and justices who have evaded (by sidestepping) the settled law of Heller and McDonald for over ten years"
Oh we can dream... correct me if my information is incorrect but Justice Thomas is now the Chief Justice after Scalia's death?

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 10-01-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobler View Post
correct me if my information is incorrect but Justice Thomas is now the Chief Justice after Scalia's death?
No.

The office of the Chief Justice is one that is filled by the justice who is nominated for that position at the time of nomination.

Unlike at the lower courts, the Chief Justice is the Chief Justice for the entire term of his appointment.

Currently that is Roberts and will remain so until he leaves the bench.

Somebody's gotta be the mole so it might as well be me. Seems to be working so far.

Evil doesn't only come in black.

Life is like a discount bakery. Usually everything is just what you ordered. But, occasionally you come face to face with an unexpected fruitcake. Surprise!

My Utubery
Old 11-01-2019, 3:46 AM

SAF JOINS AMICUS BRIEF SUPPORTING CHALLENGE TO MARYLAND GUN LAW

Quote:
BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation has joined four other organizations in an amicus curiae brief to the U.S. Supreme Court supporting a challenge to Maryland’s restrictive gun control law requiring applicants for concealed carry permits to provide a “good and substantial reason” to exercise their right to bear arms.

SAF is joined by the Firearms Policy Coalition, Inc. (“FPC”), Firearms Policy Foundation, California Gun Rights Foundation and the Madison Society Foundation. Their brief is submitted to the high court by Sacramento attorney Joseph G.S. Greenlee.

The case is known as Malpasso v. Pallozzi. Plaintiffs are Brian Kirk Malpasso and the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association.

“This case could have far-reaching ramifications,” noted SAF founder and Executive Vice President Alan M. Gottlieb. “At issue is Maryland’s restrictive requirement but the outcome, if the Court agrees to hear this case, could define the parameters of bearing arms outside the home, and that will impact restrictive laws in several states where carry permits or licenses are strictly regulated, which translates to nearly impossible to get.”

The amicus brief asks the high court to determine “to what extent the right to bear arms applies beyond the home,” because the question “has deeply divided lower courts.” The 27-page brief notes that the D.C. and Seventh Circuits held that the right applies just as strongly outside the home as inside the home, while the First and Second Circuits determined that the right likely applies outside the home, but in a weaker form. Meanwhile, the Third and Fourth Circuits declined to decide whether the right exists outside the home and the Ninth and Tenth Circuits held that the right to bear arms does not protect concealed carry.

“Clearly,” Gottlieb said, “the lower courts need definitive guidance on this important constitutional issue. What other constitutionally-enumerated fundamental right applies only within the confines of the home? It is time the high court takes up this issue to determine whether the Second Amendment vigorously protects a right, or allows states to treat it as a regulated privilege.”

https://www.saf.org/saf-joins-amicus...yland-gun-law/

I hope the link works.
Old 11-01-2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
SAF JOINS AMICUS BRIEF SUPPORTING CHALLENGE TO MARYLAND GUN LAW

The 27-page brief notes that the D.C. and Seventh Circuits held that the right applies just as strongly outside the home as inside the home, while the First and Second Circuits determined that the right likely applies outside the home, but in a weaker form. Meanwhile, the Third and Fourth Circuits declined to decide whether the right exists outside the home and the Ninth and Tenth Circuits held that the right to bear arms does not protect concealed carry.

https://www.saf.org/saf-joins-amicus...yland-gun-law/
Not only has the Ninth held that there is no right to concealed carry outside3 the home, it has deftly avoided answering the question it left hanging in Peruta as to the existence and scope of a right to openly carry firearms outside the home, which is currently illegal under California law in areas where the need for self defense is at its highest--in our urban areas. (personally, if forced to acknowledge a right to openly carry arms, I think the Ninth will conclude that the right exists only in those areas outside of currently designated as "sensitive places."(Which areas include the 1000' exclusion zone around schools.)
Old 11-01-2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
Not only has the Ninth held that there is no right to concealed carry outside3 the home, it has deftly avoided answering the question it left hanging in Peruta as to the existence and scope of a right to openly carry firearms outside the home, which is currently illegal under California law in areas where the need for self defense is at its highest--in our urban areas. (personally, if forced to acknowledge a right to openly carry arms, I think the Ninth will conclude that the right exists only in those areas outside of currently designated as "sensitive places."(Which areas include the 1000' exclusion zone around schools.)
No doubt. Calif and the 9th will "creatively interpret" almost any judgement to make the right to carry as minimal and difficult as possible to exercise. This will be a long fight and there will be many more lawsuits in the future.

ETA: I realize I may be holding onto a view of the 9th that may well be out of date. There are more conservative judges there now than in recent years so we may very well be surprised by some good judgements from the 9th in the future. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Sputnik; 11-01-2019 at 7:05 PM..
Old 01-09-2020, 12:01 AM

A coalition of 21 attorneys general from shall-issue states have filed an amicus brief in favor of granting cert on Malpasso.

This article contains a link to the entire brief.

https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2019/1...yland-gun-law/
Old 01-09-2020, 3:45 AM

Reply of Brian Kirk Malpasso, et al. submitted.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....ic/19-423.html

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...ly%20FINAL.pdf
Old 01-09-2020, 10:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Malpasso is set for Jan 24 Conference, the Friday after MLK Day, so I don't believe they'll take it for orals this term. However, if they plan to per curiam GVR it (no orals, like in Caetano), it could be disposed this term.
Old 01-09-2020, 1:50 PM

The question presented in Malpasso is:
Whether the Second Amendment allows the government to prohibit typical, law-abiding citizens from carrying handguns outside the home for self defense in any manner.

Seems like kind of an important point, doesn't it?
Old 01-10-2020, 1:15 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrabbit View Post
Similar to Roger's?

Another state that refuses to make a distinction between concealable and non-concealable handguns thereby relegating an entire class of firearm to a ban without permit?

=8-|
How could they. When the Constitution so clearly says "..to keep and openly bear non concealable arms.."

..oh... Wait...It does not say that....
Old 01-10-2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Says absolutely nothing about that that is binding to any court in the land. I suggest you actually read it, and if you already did (seems unlikely) - understand it, just like every professional federal judge did.
Old 01-10-2020, 8:16 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
That's your common non-responsive response.

That discussion is off-topic for this thread.

Drop it.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-11-2020, 3:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Distributed for the 1/24 conference. Likely it'll join the other 2A cases in limbo waiting for NYSRPA.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
1. Offwidth made the snide off-comment, not I. So please address him. (2nd time in just 3 weeks for your information - rplaw already addressed it.)

2. The Heller v. DC link is an appropriate response, AND it is also the [b]public record[b].

So is MacDonald v. City of Chicago

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/08-1521.pdf

And likewise Caetano v. Massachusetts

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...10078_aplc.pdf

Caetano v. Massuchusetts is the last decisive action we have on 2A related matters by SCOTUS - and it affirmed Heller v. DC, MacDonald v. City of Chicago and clarified without a doubt that they meant what they said in Heller v. DC in particular that the 2A did not "preclude" future arms suitable for self-defense. (Stun guns).

3. As to the current case of this thread AND the Rogers' case in New Jersey, it irritates me to no end the games that States will play as a policy matter in which they display their arrogance via their refusal to make even an iota of an effort to make distinctions.

They refuse purposely to make any distinction between concealable and non-concealable thereby banning an ENTIRE CLASS of firearm and relegating them all subject to the firewall known as a permit with a "just cause" goalpost.

Scalia is on record:

You cannot ban an entire class of firearm.

Scalia AND SCOTUS is on record:

Handguns are the preferred weapon of choice for personal self-defense.

Scalia AND SCOTUS is on record:

Handguns like many other firearm are commonly held and in use and suitable for personal self-defense.

4. This forum has no "Required Reading" sticky.

You are more than capable Librarian of creating a sticky - that includes the links to "Heller v. DC" , "MacDonald v. City of Chicago" and "Caetano v. Massachussetts" and of course an update should we get a decision soon in NYSRPA v. NYS.

I think it would be awesome that you would be an advocate for requesting that participants in the 2nd Amend Litigation Updates and Legal Discussion and National 2nd Amend. Political and Legal Discussion forums be familiar with the public record and position of SCOTUS at this point in time.

=8-)
In reverse order ...

No such thing as 'required reading'; impossible to enforce.

Posting mere links to case opinions is useless - look, I can do that, too:
what is the law in California about 'assault weapons'?

Here, read http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...nal+Code+-+PEN
If you want to use a court opinion to make a point, the way to do that comes in the form of
statement

precise quote from court case supporting 'statement'
That's unenforceable, too, as a moderator thing. But you do get entirely valid pushback from other members for your deficient arguments.

And, we are NOT having that discussion in THIS thread.

ETA - if you want to talk about Heller, that's on topic for this forum - start your own thread. But if you persist in your 'read the opinion' schtick, don't expect much participation.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Last edited by Librarian; 01-11-2020 at 1:55 PM..
Old 01-12-2020, 9:54 AM

Baiting? Nice projection.

Here is your post. “ Another state that refuses to make a distinction between concealable and non-concealable handguns thereby relegating an entire class of firearm to a ban without permit?”

I pointed it out to you that there is no such distinction in the 2A itself and it is not what this case is about. You followed up with your usual nonsensical pdf link of an opinion.

Last edited by Offwidth; 01-12-2020 at 10:00 AM..
Old 01-12-2020, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Aaaaaand now mrrabbit and offwidth can take that discussion to PM.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 01-18-2020, 10:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Malpasso is set for Jan 24 Conference, the Friday after MLK Day, so I don't believe they'll take it for orals this term. However, if they plan to per curiam GVR it (no orals, like in Caetano), it could be disposed this term.
We should find out if it is granted, denied, redistributed/rescheduled for another conference or goes to limbo on Jan 27 (Monday) or maybe even Jan 24 (this coming Friday).

Old 01-20-2020, 5:30 PM

Quote:
We should find out if it is granted, denied, redistributed/rescheduled for another conference or goes to limbo on Jan 27 (Monday) or maybe even Jan 24 (this coming Friday).

It's going to be stayed just like the rest of the carry cases. It will be the fifth case currently in front of USSC. If the other four were not granted cert then there is no reason to expect this one to be it. We won't see any real action on the rest of these cases until NYSRPA has it's opinion published.
Old 01-27-2020, 5:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Limbo it is.

Quote:
This week at the court

On Monday, the court released orders from the January 24 conference. The justices did not add any new cases to their merits docket ....
From: https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/01/t...the-court-365/
Old 04-27-2020, 10:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation

Quote:
Apr 27 2020 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of 5/1/2020.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....ic/19-423.html
Old 04-27-2020, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Aaaaaand now mrrabbit and offwidth can take that discussion to PM.
Whew. Thankfully.
Old 04-29-2020, 1:41 AM

So there are three different "bear" cases against NJ being held. How would this work? Take one hold two for possible GVR? Roll all three into one case?
Or does everything just get denied and save me speculating?
Old 04-29-2020, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

They could be consolidated (oral arguments for all 3 plaintiffs) or the court just goes with 1 and holds the other 2 for a GVR.
Yea they can also all be denied but my suspicion is that scotus would deny ALL held cases if that happens. I don’t see them hearing a case and booting others.