Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 08-11-2019, 4:17 PM

Default Colorado elk pointers?

Thinking of buying an OTC tag in colorado this fall. Its will be my first time hunting in colorado. Is it worth it, what are my chances? Anybody wanna give any pointers? Anything you wanna share helps. Thanks
Old 08-11-2019, 8:42 PM

I'm guessing you live close to sea level. Probably the best thing you can do to prepare yourself is make sure you're in decent shape because if you aren't, walking around at elevation is going to be tough.

I'm going deer hunting in mid-October in Nevada's Ruby Mountains. Unfortunately I'll be at sea level for the entire month before the hunt and I'm not looking forward to huffing and puffing up and down at 7-8,000 feet with no time to acclimate (I live in the mountains).
Old 08-11-2019, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

You should be able to find the odds on the website by year, season and unit. My guess is 7-10% success. Any chance you get to go elk hunting is worth it IMO.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Shoot one close to the road and preferably uphill. Share meat when you get back.
Old 08-12-2019, 1:20 AM

I would recommend 6x6 “pointers” for CO elk. A lot more Elk in CO then any other State. #1- GO. That’s the best way to get started. Pick an area with the best intel you can get. When your not hunting drive around and explore the area. Who has meat hanging in camp? It takes time to learn what the elk are doing and where they are going in a given area. Or you can pay a fortune to someone who does(guide).
Old 08-12-2019, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Shoot one close to the road and preferably uphill. Share meat when you get back.
Na,
Old 08-12-2019, 8:31 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Take a friend or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 08-12-2019, 9:28 AM

Last year was my first time elk hunting and first time ever stepping foot in CO. I was successful wtih an OTC 3rd season tag - small 5x5.

Get in shape and get away from roads. Nobody was seeing elk, but my dad and I went in further than anyone and found a pocket of elk five miles from the trailhead.

Only way to learn is to get out there and do it.

Getting away from roads and trails, dark timber, and steep terrain will be your keys to success.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulyhuntr View Post
Last year was my first time elk hunting and first time ever stepping foot in CO. I was successful wtih an OTC 3rd season tag - small 5x5.

Get in shape and get away from roads. Nobody was seeing elk, but my dad and I went in further than anyone and found a pocket of elk five miles from the trailhead.

Only way to learn is to get out there and do it.

Getting away from roads and trails, dark timber, and steep terrain will be your keys to success.
how many trips did you make to pack the meat out in between the two of you?
Old 08-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Save your money and get a guided hunt when you can afford it. You will end up spending less in the long run and getting a better animal. Plus you don’t have to pack it out.
Old 08-13-2019, 1:17 PM

Wall Tent and wood burning stove. Montana Canvas and Colorado Cylinder Stove for a great base camp.The difference between living and living well on an elk hunt is the “Wall Tent”.
OR
Bring two sleeping bags and a fleece blanket. Put one sleeping bag inside the other and the fleece blanket under you or inside next to you depending on how cold it is. Hope your used to freezing and living in snow.
Old 08-13-2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmithson View Post
Wall Tent and wood burning stove. Montana Canvas and Colorado Cylinder Stove for a great base camp.The difference between living and living well on an elk hunt is the “Wall Tent”.
OR
Bring two sleeping bags and a fleece blanket. Put one sleeping bag inside the other and the fleece blanket under you or inside next to you depending on how cold it is. Hope your used to freezing and living in snow.
I have hunted and camped in snow before, so I know what to expect.
Old 08-13-2019, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFLERACK31 View Post
Na,
Then you better get another freezer.
Old 08-13-2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
I have hunted and camped in snow before, so I know what to expect.
That’s what everyone says before they freeze their butts off. The correct answer is we have all the cold weather gear because we have frozen our butts off. I was in Montana and it went -20 for a week with 3 feet of snow and 20 mph winds.
Old 08-13-2019, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Is it worth going elk hunting in Colorado. Yes! Being that you are not going on a guided hunt, you will be limited to public land which gets a lot of pressure, be ready to go deep into the back country. Elk hunting in Colorado can really work your muscles, so I like to operate out of a motel, get a hot breakfast before hunting and a hot shower and dinner and a drink after hunting. Remember if you shoot an elk, you will quarter it and each quarter is about 100 lbs, and you have to pack that back and forth four times to get the entire elk out. That is a long and hard task, so think twice about how far you want to hunt from where your truck is located. My first elk that I shot was 3 miles from my truck, that was 6 miles each trip, and 4 trips, or 24 miles of hiking with 12 of those miles with 100 lbs on my back. That taught me the lesson about not going too far from my truck.
Old 08-13-2019, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

If it’s legal, pull the trigger. Otherwise you may not see another elk the rest of the season.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:37 AM

One more tip
We bring mouse traps and chunky peanut butter to set the traps. We set them up outside next to both back corners of the tent. We reuse the same traps over and over again in camp.

Why you ask?

Damn chisel toothed bastards will bore a hole through a backpack and expensive clothes in your pack or right through the tent.
We usually nail them up to a tree close by and monitor how long it takes another animal to pull it off the nail.

There is nothing like the satisfaction of hearing the traps snap at odd hours of the day or night.

The chunks work better then creamy. They can just lick the creamy off the traps but can’t resist being more aggressive to get a chunk loose. SNAP, another $200 of equipment saved from damage.
Old 08-14-2019, 7:16 AM

Colorado Parks and Wildlife site has really good information. Start here

https://cpw.state.co.us/
Old 08-14-2019, 8:19 AM

Quote:
how many trips did you make to pack the meat out in between the two of you?
Two, but they were HEAVY loads.
Old 08-14-2019, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Killer View Post
Save your money and get a guided hunt when you can afford it. You will end up spending less in the long run and getting a better animal. Plus you don’t have to pack it out.
Whatever happened to hunting for the experience and the tasty elk meat? I'd take a small rack with tons of great memories and hard work put into the hunt than a huge rack that some guy set me up on on a private fenced ranch.
Old 08-14-2019, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
Is it worth going elk hunting in Colorado. Yes! Being that you are not going on a guided hunt, you will be limited to public land which gets a lot of pressure, be ready to go deep into the back country. Elk hunting in Colorado can really work your muscles, so I like to operate out of a motel, get a hot breakfast before hunting and a hot shower and dinner and a drink after hunting. Remember if you shoot an elk, you will quarter it and each quarter is about 100 lbs, and you have to pack that back and forth four times to get the entire elk out. That is a long and hard task, so think twice about how far you want to hunt from where your truck is located. My first elk that I shot was 3 miles from my truck, that was 6 miles each trip, and 4 trips, or 24 miles of hiking with 12 of those miles with 100 lbs on my back. That taught me the lesson about not going too far from my truck.

Good info. The one thing I would add is screw quartering. Bone it out and save 50 lbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2019, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
You must shoot some massive elk!
Old 08-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You must shoot some massive elk!
A cow elk can weigh as much as 600 lbs on the high end, and a bull elk can be as much as 1100 lbs on the high end.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:22 PM

Our group of 6 took 2 last year. I just want to say thank God that we had horses and atvs to pack them out.
Quote:
I don't understand. Is he being forced out for being an ammo-grabbing fascist or for being a failure as an ammo-grabbing fascist?
Old 08-14-2019, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Whatever happened to hunting for the experience and the tasty elk meat? I'd take a small rack with tons of great memories and hard work put into the hunt than a huge rack that some guy set me up on on a private fenced ranch.
I am not a trophy hunter. I am a meat hunter. It is just public lands are getting harder and harder to hunt. You make as many memories with a guide. Plus everyone I know is getting old. I am the youngest and have packed many animals out. You just get tired and broken. Many people have grand ideas of killing an elk. The truth is it can really suck. Big animal to pack out miles upon miles isn’t fun especially with the snow.