Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum This is a temporary forum for discussion, debate, sharing and helping each other during and in relation to the Coronavirus/COVID19

Old 03-25-2020, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Default The United States has done far more ‘testing’ than any other nation

Quote:
"Just reported that the United States has done far more “testing” than any other nation, by far! In fact, over an eight day span, the United States now does more testing than what South Korea (which has been a very successful tester) does over an eight week span. Great job!"
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...24631230308353

https://www.dailywire.com/news/analy...wn-its-economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
When the middle east descends into complete chaos in 2-3 years due in part to the actions of this administration I'll necro post about how clueless I was.
Old 03-25-2020, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

According to that article, the SK success was basically due to their surveillance state

Quote:
“retrac[ing] patients’ movements using security camera footage, credit card records, even GPS data from their cars and cellphones.”
Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 AM

Uh. You guys are measuring the wrong thing. We are the 3rd most populous nation. Comparing our total number of tests to a much smaller country's tests is the same as saying America has more murders than El Salvador -- it's true, but you're measuring the wrong thing.

In terms of tests per capita we are way behind.

I have to ask, why grasp at straws like this?
Old 03-25-2020, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm pretty sure anyone with two functioning brain cells, regardless of party, can see the reality of our testing capacity situation.
Old 03-25-2020, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default The United States has done far more ‘testing’ than any other nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
According to that article, the SK success was basically due to their surveillance state

SK’s land area is 1/100 of the US (between the land area of KY and IN), 15% of our population and bordered on three sides by water and on the other by NK.

Those points also makes it a wee bit easier.
Old 03-25-2020, 5:41 PM
The Over Generalizer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhyla View Post
Uh. You guys are measuring the wrong thing. We are the 3rd most populous nation. Comparing our total number of tests to a much smaller country's tests is the same as saying America has more murders than El Salvador -- it's true, but you're measuring the wrong thing.

Shifting the goal posts. We have done more testing than anyone else. True statement.

Per capita is not being discussed.
Old 03-25-2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp3056 View Post
Shifting the goal posts. We have done more testing than anyone else. True statement.

Per capita is not being discussed.
And South Korea has tested a lot of people but their results show that they have shown a 2.5% rate of positive tests. Therefore, some 97.5% of their tests have been, pretty much, useless.
Old 03-25-2020, 5:56 PM

Umm that's grasping for straws. We are far behind lesser countries just because of the simple fact we don't ACTUALLY have that many tests. Trust me , is all I can say. Folks are being lead astray on testing abilities.

I know for a FACT there are 5-6 very large cities that barely have over 300 COMPLETE test kits. The key being COMPLETE test kits.
Old 03-25-2020, 7:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhyla View Post

Funny.......then why are they saying the US is just like Italy?

NRA Patron Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-25-2020, 7:54 PM
The Over Generalizer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M60A1Rise View Post
Umm that's grasping for straws. We are far behind lesser countries just because of the simple fact we don't ACTUALLY have that many tests. Trust me , is all I can say. Folks are being lead astray on testing abilities.

I know for a FACT there are 5-6 very large cities that barely have over 300 COMPLETE test kits. The key being COMPLETE test kits.
Let's hope the tests approved last week get delivered on the 30th and we see a spike in tests. NY seems to be doing it. Los Angles doesn't.
Old 03-25-2020, 8:44 PM

Fresno county - population 995,000 has 200 test kits available

https://www-1.fresnobee.com/news/cor...41480351.html#
Old 03-25-2020, 9:08 PM

I talked to some friends in India tonight (their Thursday) and they boasted about only having 600 infections in the whole country. I thought to myself, 600 infections in a country of 1 billion? Um, maybe they only have 600 infections because they have only done 600 tests. Contrast that with the US’s 50,000 infected. I’d say, ya, we’ve done way more tests than anyone else.
Old 03-25-2020, 9:29 PM

This was posted by another CGer https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA.../NR20-031.aspx

As of 2:00 CA had only done 26,400 tests. Of those, 12,000 were pending.

Elsewhere there are articles detailing the many faults and mistakes by the experts who have been responsible for this scenario for years if not decades. This is not on Trump, Obama or any other POTUS. These bureaucrats are there to do this and it couldn't have been much worse.

The only reason we are making up ground in testing is they opened it up to private labs. Get government out of the way.
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -Daniel Webster
Old 03-26-2020, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M60A1Rise View Post

According to this site, which tracks state level data, 462k tests have been performed, 367k negative.

Protocols for who gets tested are still very strict, so those numbers are not very high yet for a population of 350 million.

Keep in mind that last flu season only about 200k were tested, but it was estimated that 60 million got it.
https://covidtracking.com/data/

Quote:
When the middle east descends into complete chaos in 2-3 years due in part to the actions of this administration I'll necro post about how clueless I was.
Old 03-26-2020, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senko View Post
This was posted by another CGer https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA.../NR20-031.aspx

As of 2:00 CA had only done 26,400 tests. Of those, 12,000 were pending.

Elsewhere there are articles detailing the many faults and mistakes by the experts who have been responsible for this scenario for years if not decades. This is not on Trump, Obama or any other POTUS. These bureaucrats are there to do this and it couldn't have been much worse.

The only reason we are making up ground in testing is they opened it up to private labs. Get government out of the way.
Today's data:

Quote:
As of 2 p.m. PDT on March 24, approximately 66,800 tests had been conducted in California. This includes the latest numbers California has received from commercial and private labs and the 22 state and county health labs that are currently testing. At least 18,276 results have been received and another 48,600 are pending.
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA.../NR20-033.aspx

Quote:
Old 03-26-2020, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the updated data. So as of the 24th the state has only 18K test results from individuals with either contact with a positive case or showing all the symptoms. Many have been advised to remain home and not be tested.

Hopefully the turn around time on the tests continues to shorten.

Is NY even testing anymore?
"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." -Daniel Webster
Old 03-26-2020, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senko View Post
Thanks for the updated data. So as of the 24th the state has only 18K test results from individuals with either contact with a positive case or showing all the symptoms. Many have been advised to remain home and not be tested.

Hopefully the turn around time on the tests continues to shorten.

Is NY even testing anymore?
NY over 100k tests according to state level data.
https://covidtracking.com/data/state/new-york/

Quote:
Old 03-27-2020, 10:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Far more important than how many tests preformed or how many tests per capita is how accurate are the tests.

It seems that they early cheep tests were give it between 10-30% false negatives That is massive because with a false negative the patient is very likely to unknowingly spread the disease.

We waited until far more reliable tests were available. It’s the responsible thing to do.

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 03-27-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Far more important than how many tests preformed or how many tests per capita is how accurate are the tests.

It seems that they early cheep tests were give it between 10-30% false negatives That is massive because with a false negative the patient is very likely to unknowingly spread the disease.

We waited until far more reliable tests were available. It’s the responsible thing to do.

Quote:
China Supplied Faulty Coronavirus Test Kits to Spain, Czech Republic

The majority of rapid test coronavirus test kits supplied by China to Spain and the Czech Republic are faulty, local news outlets reported.

Up to 80 percent of the 150,000 portable, quick coronavirus test kits China delivered to the Czech Republic earlier this month were faulty, according to local Czech news site Expats.cz. The tests can produce a result in 10 or 15 minutes but are usually less accurate than other tests. Because of the high error rate, the country will continue to rely on conventional laboratory tests, of which they perform about 900 a day.
https://news.yahoo.com/china-supplie...162306412.html