Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
As for glasses - any recommendations on setup? I have heard about bifocals, progressives, etc. However, we have unique needs as shooters, right?

_
Find a sports optometrist in your area. I’ve got a link on a good one in Nor Cal, but not down by you. He’s a USPSA shooter, and knows EXACTLY what is needed. There is bound to be something down by you.

For the amount of money folks spend on making guns shoot “better”, why wouldn’t they pay a few hundred dollars to make the front sight RAZOR SHARP. My right is set to see the front sight, my left is set to see bullet hits at 25 yards.

At worst, just tell an anti gun optometrist you need to see your lap top monitor with your arms at full extension.

I’ve been shooting for years. I had LASIK, but after 10+ years it lost it’s edge. I got shooting glasses, and my scores improved 10% from one day to the next.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

I used to have a G21 and then I replaced it with a G21SF. The reduced hump on the backstrap makes the grip angle more natural for me. After putting Talon granular grips on it, I can shoot it just as well as my 1911s. Being inexpensive and having 13+1 rounds made it easy to choose as my bedside gun.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:51 AM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Find a sports optometrist in your area. I’ve got a link on a good one in Nor Cal, but not down by you. He’s a USPSA shooter, and knows EXACTLY what is needed. There is bound to be something down by you.

For the amount of money folks spend on making guns shoot “better”, why wouldn’t they pay a few hundred dollars to make the front sight RAZOR SHARP. My right is set to see the front sight, my left is set to see bullet hits at 25 yards.

At worst, just tell an anti gun optometrist you need to see your lap top monitor with your arms at full extension.

I’ve been shooting for years. I had LASIK, but after 10+ years it lost it’s edge. I got shooting glasses, and my scores improved 10% from one day to the next.
I am willing to spend the money, but I just didn't know how. And this issue just started manifesting the last couple of months.

I asked/researched, but all the answers were vague and not convincing. As you said, I need to look for a sports optometrist (good if he/she were also a sports shooter).

But now, at least I know where to re-begin my search.

Thanks,

_
Old 03-26-2020, 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=rodralig;24041478]Hopefully not. Eyesight got really bad this year.

These stick on lenses might be worth a try. Cheap alternative to expensive prescription glasses. They can be placed just where they are need for shooting.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...1&d=1585253820
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lens.jpg (66.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-26-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I am willing to spend the money, but I just didn't know how. And this issue just started manifesting the last couple of months.

I asked/researched, but all the answers were vague and not convincing. As you said, I need to look for a sports optometrist (good if he/she were also a sports shooter).

But now, at least I know where to re-begin my search.

Thanks,

_
If you are looking for an excuse to get away from CA, I can recommend Dr. Todd Geiler in Prescott, AZ. He's a shooter. He's uber busy, so it takes a while to get an appointment, but he understands the issues we face as shooters. He fitted me for a pair of shooting glasses on Tuesday. At the end of the fitting, I could see both my front sight and a target about 25 yards away clearly. I pick them up next week. I can't wait.
Old 03-26-2020, 1:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Interesting. Didn't feel any awkwardness when gripping the pistol to aim, albeit, it was just slow fire in an indoor range.
The grip angle will show when you do fast transitions such as drawing from holster, reloading or vertical transitions - if you do it properly, your eyes snap to the new location and gun shows up aligned a moment later. With a Glock, it will show up in the right spot, but will point slightly up if you're used to 2011 or most other platforms.

It won't show in slow fire and it won't affect your wrists, though...
Old 03-26-2020, 1:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I would say that the HK's SA trigger puts the Glock at a slight disadvantage... But then, at HD/SD situations, does it really matter?
Trigger matters, but in the opposite direction from competition triggers - you do want a heavier trigger and consistent pull.

I've learned this during a tactical class in cold rain, with frozen hands and inappropriately large cover garment. Fiddling with safeties and fighting the clothes while doing QCB is not a good combination and not only slows you down, but can get you into ND situation with a light trigger.

Quote:
Now, 5-hrs later, I still feel a slight ache in both of my wrists. Hhhmmm... Was it because I shot 100-rounds in a short span of time (I was in the range for a mere 30-mins)?
Do you lock your elbows when shooting?
Old 03-26-2020, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Then my hypothesis is all wrong. Glock 21 has the same grip angle is the Glock 34.
I don't know. I have a Gen 3 and a Gen 4 21 and they don't feel bad to me. I can't stand Glock 17's.
Old 03-26-2020, 5:48 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTII View Post
If you are looking for an excuse to get away from CA, I can recommend Dr. Todd Geiler in Prescott, AZ. He's a shooter. He's uber busy, so it takes a while to get an appointment, but he understands the issues we face as shooters.
Thanks! Bookmarked his practice as a reference...

That said, been searching for sports optometrist in the area. Unfortunately, there is no way to confirm if they know the problems shooters face. *sigh*

Maybe I can ask around in the sports shooting groups in FB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
It won't show in slow fire and it won't affect your wrists, though...
Yup! That is why I responded "Interesting..." to OC. That said, the G21SF and G34 have the same grip angle; so, that hypothesis is out.

Quote:
Trigger matters, but in the opposite direction from competition triggers - you do want a heavier trigger and consistent pull.

I've learned this during a tactical class in cold rain, with frozen hands and inappropriately large cover garment. Fiddling with safeties and fighting the clothes while doing QCB is not a good combination and not only slows you down, but can get you into ND situation with a light trigger.
Absolutely agree! And that is why in non-competition classes, like the Glock Operator Course I took a few weeks back (AAR is in the Competition/Training sub-forum) - I use stock triggers. ITTS, Front Sight, Larry Vickers, etc. - all using a stock setup (except for grip tape and fiber optic sights).

Quote:
Do you lock your elbows when shooting?
What do you mean lock my elbows? Hhhhmmm... I really don't know... I am not really conscious anymore of my elbows. Nowadays, my arms are more relaxed as most of the tension (effort) are in the wrists and the grip (just forward and background pressure like a vise).

Why do you ask?

Here is my last live fire prior to this with the Q5 in IDPA Carry Optics (as I still don't have my G34 MOS). (Note, even in matches, I use factory power factor ammo)

_
Old 03-27-2020, 7:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Locked elbows prevent efficient recoil absorption with the upper body and can put strain on your wrists if you lock the wrists correctly. You want wrists only to prevent rotation of the gun and you want your upper body to absorb the recoil.
Old 03-27-2020, 7:51 AM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Locked elbows prevent efficient recoil absorption with the upper body and can put strain on your wrists if you lock the wrists correctly. You want wrists only to prevent rotation of the gun and you want your upper body to absorb the recoil.
Thank you for the articulation. Yes, that is something that I realized fairly late in the game. For the first few years, I had my straight arms and locked elbows when shooting. Only recently I am relaxing them and focussing on the wrists and grip. Something that I also have been imparting to my son.

That said, I really like Frank Proctor's form (though I still haven't taken a class from him). He makes it look so easy!

Once this COVID19 dies down, I will try again at the range and consciously relax the elbows. This time with my other 45ACPs, especially the 1911 that I haven't shot in ages.

Regards,

_