Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-14-2019, 11:22 AM

Default Wild pig/hog hunting guide recommendation

Looking for an affordable and knowledgeable guide in California.

Preferably someone who can guide, help field dress and process the meat.

I've seen $800 but not sure if that's a good deal? Also, what's tipping etiquette on 1 or 2 day hunts?

Any other info would be appreciated. Gear besides boots, camelbak, gloves, and gun/knife?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 AM

Kyler Hamann, Boaring Experiences. Been a while since I hunted with him, but he's got great access, or at least he did when I last hunted.

With his hunts, you're hunting early and late, so you probably would want a scope with a large objective and similar binoculars, as there is a good chance a shot opportunity will be in low light conditions.

As far as processing the meat, I have watched him "coolerize" a large boar in about 20 minutes, which means, skin and innards removed, carcass in one piece and ready to be iced in your large marine-grade cooler.

I tipped him 20% as I recall, which I think is pretty standard.

Understand that hunts with Kyler require additional expenses, IME. When I hunted with him I stayed in Parkfield at the motel there, pretty much the only game in town. If you have an RV, or are willing to camp, I've no idea what is around there or what is feasible. So in terms of gear, you need a rifle, a scope for low light, maybe a field rest of some kind, and large-objective binoculars, in addition to your cooler.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 PM

I’m not guiding at the moment so I’m not plugging my own business. So I feel comfortable chiming in.

Gear, will need (in my opinion) a scoped and sighted in rifle of 270. Caliber or larger.
1-2boxes of copper ammo
Cooler large enough to get a quartered hog home.
Binos
Shooting rest, collapseable bi pod or tripod.
Knives
A fresh pair of hunting clothes for each day.
Of course license, Hunting license and tags.

Rates, rates have been ticking up over the last 5 years. Expect to pay between 750 and 1200 per hunter.

There’s a lot of good guides out there. Ask questions. Not everyone hunts the same. Some guides or outfits have lots of hunters. Some tend to rush hunters through. Some give a lot of info, education and advice. Some will just take you to the pig for a shot. Know what kind of hunt you want. Are you interested in just filling your freezer and get home early Saturday? Or would you rather get a better experience and education?

Be prepared to go home empty handed and be prepared to kill your hog and be done 10 minutes into your hunt. Mabye be open to hunt with another group so you can experience multiple hunts. You can learn more watching other hunters experiences than your own.

Have fun, take pics. Post em up here.
Old 03-15-2019, 6:55 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Where are you located? CA is a big state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Where are you located? CA is a big state.

I'm in Inland Empire but willing to drive 5 hours any direction.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

I will point out, in my research, the pig guides in the So Cal area seem heavy on truck-hunting. You drive around in a truck or 4x4 til you see something on a ranch or farm they have access to, then sneak up on it.

The guides further north seem to lean more towards spot-and-stalk, because they have things like trees and bushes with leaves on the branches.
Old 03-15-2019, 1:17 PM

Nolan Twisselman has done right by me several times now. He'll tailor the hunt to what the hogs are doing as well as your desired "style."

$700 for your first hog, $500 each additional (per person). He's about 4 hours northwest of you.