Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-08-2022, 12:51 PM

Default M1 garand bayo

Will a “AFH” bayo fit a Herrington& Richardson m1 garand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2022, 1:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Any GI issue M1905, M1905 modified, M1 and M5A1 bayonet will fit on any M1 Garand.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.

Last edited by highpower; 12-08-2022 at 5:25 PM..
Old 12-08-2022, 1:05 PM

Just found a bayo in its original packaging cakes in cosmoline at a local antique store. All sales are final and I just wanted to make sure it would work Before I pulled the trigger on it, thanks!

Old 12-08-2022, 2:25 PM

generally speaking, as bayonet collecting goes, an original packaged WW2 bayonet should probably stay that way. There's thousands of open and used bayonets out there for you to mount on a rifle. You wouldn't buy an unfired/unissued Garand and take it to the range, no matter what good deal you got buying it...
Though thinking about it, I doubt what you found is "original packaging". That would be extremely rare, for one. Original packaged would be a green oily/greased paper, and someone would have to rip open the paper to see that it was AFH. I've never seen an M1 in an original box so I don't know if they came that way or not. M5s and later did. If it's just in a plastic bag with cosmo, that would be something that was done post-war to put it back into storage. Not sure if gov't did that or someone after it was surplused out.

Last edited by sbo80; 12-08-2022 at 2:46 PM.. Reason: .
Old 12-08-2022, 2:29 PM

^also, although all the series of M1905, M1, and M5 bayonets are compatible will all Garands, technically the M5 bayonets would be more "time-period" accurate for a Korean War H&R. All the bayonets of course were still used/issued throughout (though I doubt any or many M1905 16" bayonets went to Korea). AFH made both the long M1905 bayonets in 42/43, and the short M1 bayonets after that until 45. If the one you are looking at is really "unissued" it would be an M1 from WW2, so wrong war. AFH didn't make any of the M5 series. If you look to buy a bayonet, generally the M5s are going to be cheaper than M1s as well.

Last edited by sbo80; 12-08-2022 at 2:38 PM.. Reason: .
Old 12-08-2022, 5:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Funny story: A M5A1 bayonet was the very first military surplus item that I ever bought. That was back around 1963/64 and somehow, out of all the things that have come and gone in my life since then, I still have it.

Biden, proof that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dumocraps suck balls.
Old 12-08-2022, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
Funny story: A M5A1 bayonet was the very first military surplus item that I ever bought. That was back around 1963/64 and somehow, out of all the things that have come and gone in my life since then, I still have it.

High power man that hit deep! Thanks for sharing that!

Old 12-10-2022, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
Same here, I got mine in 84 or 85 and I still have it
Old 12-16-2022, 12:50 AM

It will fit a Harrington & Richardson. Not sure about the Herrington & Richardson.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
generally speaking, as bayonet collecting goes, an original packaged WW2 bayonet should probably stay that way. There's thousands of open and used bayonets out there for you to mount on a rifle. You wouldn't buy an unfired/unissued Garand and take it to the range, no matter what good deal you got buying it...
Though thinking about it, I doubt what you found is "original packaging". That would be extremely rare, for one. Original packaged would be a green oily/greased paper, and someone would have to rip open the paper to see that it was AFH. I've never seen an M1 in an original box so I don't know if they came that way or not. M5s and later did. If it's just in a plastic bag with cosmo, that would be something that was done post-war to put it back into storage. Not sure if gov't did that or someone after it was surplused out.
There’s been plenty of discussions about that. People will say it’s pointless to keep a brand new in the wrapper gun, brand new in the wrapper. Plenty said they’d unwrap and shoot them.

Personally I wouldn’t. The last mosin nagant I bought is still in the cosmoline. I’ve had it like that for almost 10 years. It’ll stay like that as long as I own it.
Old 12-20-2022, 5:18 PM

Quote:
This
ALL DAY LONG
Old 12-20-2022, 7:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The Koreans modified US made Garand bayonets by shortening and narrowing them so they would fit into US made M7 scabbard. These bayonets came on to the US surplus market back in the late 80's. They were packaged two bayonets per pack. The Koreans used "M5" as their designation for these modified Garand bayonets.

They can still occasionally be found in their original Korean packaging. A few "AFH" marked were in the 30 or so that I took out of their packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 12-20-2022, 7:27 PM

^That would be neat, I've never seen a Korean cut-down one still marked. The one I have, and few others I've seen, had all markings completely ground off before being re-parkerized. (I suppose I only assume mine is a Korean cut-down, since there's no markings at all, but I don't know of any others that did this).
Maybe a little typo there though, the 10" scabbard for the 10" M1 bayonet is the "M7". Korea shortened them to fit the M8A1 scabbard, which is standard for the US M4, M5, M6 and M7 bayonets, and which they would have had lots of post-Korean war. And not to confuse anyone too much, the M7 scabbard is really a shortened M3 scabbard. Not be confused with the M3 knife and its M6 scabbard (which had a short life and eventually the M3 knife was issued in the M8 scabbard, which had the belt hanger later modified and named M8A1). Whew.
Old 12-21-2022, 1:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
^That would be neat, I've never seen a Korean cut-down one still marked. The one I have, and few others I've seen, had all markings completely ground off before being re-parkerized. (I suppose I only assume mine is a Korean cut-down, since there's no markings at all, but I don't know of any others that did this).
Maybe a little typo there though, the 10" scabbard for the 10" M1 bayonet is the "M7". Korea shortened them to fit the M8A1 scabbard, which is standard for the US M4, M5, M6 and M7 bayonets, and which they would have had lots of post-Korean war. And not to confuse anyone too much, the M7 scabbard is really a shortened M3 scabbard. Not be confused with the M3 knife and its M6 scabbard (which had a short life and eventually the M3 knife was issued in the M8 scabbard, which had the belt hanger later modified and named M8A1). Whew.

Yup, You were correct. The Korean Bayonet scabbards are marked M8A1.

I also found I still have 7 of the Korean (2) packs of the M5 bayonets... As well as 4 loose Korean M5 pig stickers...

I guess I'm a rich man.... Found this on Ebay.. $4,900.00 for a two pack of Korean M5 bayonets... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Last edited by SVT-40; 12-21-2022 at 1:47 PM..
Old 12-21-2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
I also found I still have 7 of the Korean (2) packs of the M5 bayonets... As well as 4 loose Korean M5 pig stickers...

I guess I'm a rich man.... Found this on Ebay.. $4,900.00 for a two pack of Korean M5 bayonets... LOL
You should open them up. Maybe polish or chrome them. That would be cool.
There's a ton of stuff constantly on the auction sites at bizarre high prices though, which of course don't sell and relist constantly. I don't know what people think. You probably could get some decent cash for those from the right collector, but I don't know about 5 g's.
Old 12-21-2022, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You wouldn't buy an unfired/unissued Garand and take it to the range, no matter what good deal you got buying it...
Oh, yes, some of us have done exactly that. I’m one who has purchased an auction M1 in the wrapper, sold as un-issued. It’s my money, and my rifle. Why not; letting it sit there forever doesn't do me any good if I can’t enjoy it. When I’m gone, it won’t matter. My kids get to use it as well, so there is that.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:40 PM

Default AFH…

AFH = American Fork and Hoe
Old 01-30-2023, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Oh, yes, some of us have done exactly that. I’m one who has purchased an auction M1 in the wrapper, sold as un-issued. It’s my money, and my rifle. Why not; letting it sit there forever doesn't do me any good if I can’t enjoy it. When I’m gone, it won’t matter. My kids get to use it as well, so there is that.
Agreed
"There ain't no safe queens at this locality."
To be fair, I do not have the funds to buy a un-issued still in wrapper M1.

Quote:
If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.
Col. Jeff Cooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN compnerd View Post
It's the flu for crying out loud, just stop.