Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Airguns, AirSoft and MilSim Air rifles and pistols, AirSoft and Mil Sim Discussion

Old 11-30-2022, 11:55 AM

Default Inexpensive Christmas pellet gun

There's a bit of a pest issue that needs to be dealt with, and I've been looking at sub $200 air rifles for Chihuahua sized rats at relatively close range, say 10-15 yards.

I have neighbors, so discretion is a plus. So is simplicity. I think I'm looking at Nitro piston like the Gamo Swarm Whisper in .177 for caliber compatibility with a little CO2 pistol.

PCP's are a bit more involved than what I am looking for. Springers (Ive heard) are noisier.

Am I on the right track, or is there something better for the intended purpose?
Old 11-30-2022, 12:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't believe "quiet" they are not. If you go with a pump up you can regulate noise by the number of pumps.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:45 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Spend a bit more, better cry once, etc., lots of options, especially if you research a bit.

I have strictly CO2 or springers. Really didn’t want to mess with PCP stuff.

EDIT: In case you are wondering, the round thingys are from Silent Thunder Ordnance.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.8 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 11-30-2022 at 12:51 PM..
Old 11-30-2022, 12:47 PM

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYtVzoLqsrs

Old 11-30-2022, 1:23 PM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_Down View Post
Here you go]
Mine only does six round bursts per trigger pull.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.1 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Maltese Falcon; 11-30-2022 at 1:27 PM..
Old 11-30-2022, 5:14 PM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Daisy 880. Quiet, shoots pellets or bbs. Kills rats dead.
Old 11-30-2022, 5:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A nitro piston break barrel is a good choice for an inexpensive air rifle. But buy a .22 instead of a .177. The 22 has bigger and heavier pellets for more killing power, plus the heavier pellets are less likely to push the sound barrier to keep things quiet.

Most nitro pistons are about medium loud, but make sure it has a barrel shroud to keep the noise down. If you can open a window and take your shot from within the house, you won't bother your neighbors at all.

Many online airgun retailers will give you the performance specs including sound level.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-01-2022, 3:25 AM
Calguns Addict

there are those air crossbows for about 150 bucks. I am so tempted!
Old 12-01-2022, 9:26 AM

OP, do yourself a huge favor. Look into a well maintained, used match single stroke pneumatic rifle. They are as quiet as they get and for the distances you're probably going to use it, very effective.

Even at new prices, you can get a single stroke entry level match air pistol for about $250.

Single stroke pneumatics are recoilless and ultra quiet. You could shoot one on the one side of a fence and the person on the opposite side wouldn't even know it. They ate quieter than electric airsoft.

Many airgun shops online often have them in as trades or returns. Often they can be had for really inexpensive, maybe just above the $200 but under $300. That will get you a great rifle that will last forever and with ergos the typical off the shelf airguns can't begin to offer.

These are going to be very accurate, very easy to load although they won't be more than single shot and won't throw pellets at supersonic velocities.

The single stroke pneumatics are also often available and have the same benefits.

The single stroke pneumatics typically use a lever to compress air into a chamber barely the size of the pellet itself. The result is a pffft when firing and they are as close to recoiless as anything can be, If you miss, it's because you did and not the airgun.

Sometimes they can be somewhat heavier than your typical springer or nitro gun but they make up for it with extreme accuracy - not one shot but every shot. The consistency they offer is amazing. The quality is usually so far above anything else you'll be amazed. While mounting scopes and such isn't often easy with these airguns, the sights they have are very good and out to their effective range, a scope would do better anyway.

Don't worry about the pellet type, use match pellets because you're going to be able to put them exactly where you want instead of some general area. The power level is more than adequate for doing what you've described.

They are so quiet, snapping your finger can be louder.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/a...stol?m=61#7987

Stay away from pump-up pneumatics, they are a different story and not nearly as reliable IMO.

Don't worry, it will never pass...How in the hell did that pass?

Think past your gun, it's the last resort, the first is your brain.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.

Last edited by SharedShots; 12-01-2022 at 9:30 AM..
Old 12-01-2022, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

I have a 22 Gamo nitro piston that is stupid loud. It's the 33mm piston version and does about 28fpe. I would suggest the normal size gamo piston in either 177 or 22. I also have a Crossman nitro 177 that makes 11fpe and is Elmer Fudd quiet. It does ok on large European tree rats but you really have to make good close shots.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Here is one at Pyramid on sale and use code CYBRM14 for another 14% off and you will get free shipping after adding a set of BKL rings. Throw away the factory package Centerpoint scope/rings and get a Vortex or Athalon etc. You can be in $300 for a decent setup.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/c...r-rifle?m=5228
Old 12-02-2022, 7:56 PM
Norville Iron Bank
CGN Contributor

At pyramid and Airgun Depot, for each gun they have an icon showing how loud it is. (I think they are both the same company now).
Old 12-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Default I echo the need for a .22

An old saying is .177 for feathers, .22 for fur.

Who doesn’t make a spring or piston powered air gun for $150 or less.

Check out pyramid air. It will give you a pretty good idea of what’s going on in air guns.
Old 12-07-2022, 8:54 AM

Spring pistons are loud. I would go multi-pump pneumatic for variable power and add a moderator. For normal sized rats i have a daisy 717 single pump that does the job. It even works on rabbits in my front lawn with only 350 fps to the head.
Old 12-09-2022, 6:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

https://www.airgundepot.com/remingto...ifle-sale.html
Old 12-09-2022, 6:50 PM

You'll shoot your eye out.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2dave View Post
There's a bit of a pest issue that needs to be dealt with, and I've been looking at sub $200 air rifles for Chihuahua sized rats at relatively close range, say 10-15 yards.

I have neighbors, so discretion is a plus. So is simplicity. I think I'm looking at Nitro piston like the Gamo Swarm Whisper in .177 for caliber compatibility with a little CO2 pistol.

PCP's are a bit more involved than what I am looking for. Springers (Ive heard) are noisier.

Am I on the right track, or is there something better for the intended purpose?
Going to put this plainly into context.

You are on the wrong track if you think a Gamo Air gun is some magical thing. They are 1 click above pure junk.

Air Rifles go from cheap crap to nice guns that will outlast you and your children many times.

I have 4 Weihrauch Springers. 2 HW 35's and HW77 and a Beeman R1/ HW80. All of these guns are as nice or nicer than any of my firearms save my nice shotguns which were all over $2000 each.

My first gun was an HW 35 EB (Export for Beeman) in 1977. I paid $189 for it and have fired it about 20,000 times over the years. I will easily outlast me and any one after me that takes care of it. I just got another HW35 E out of a Surplus Store for $60! I had to refinish the stock and clean it up as it had sat in someone's closet for 40+ years. It runs perfectly and identical to the other one. These guns have been in continuous production since 1951 and are now about $550 new. They are considered some of the finest Air Rifles ever made which can extend to everything Weihrauch makes.

Springers are no more loud than a gas piston gun, and you will probably have more problems with a cheap Gas Piston gun than a cheap Springer.

There are other quality brands of Airguns. Most of them are German Made or English. Diana, Walther, Feinwerkbau, Air Arms and others.
'
If you were to spend about $400 you could get a Beeman R7/HW 30 Rifle that is a proper wood and blued steel gun that will give you great joy in use and outlast you and your children as long as you take care of it and treat it like any of your nice firearms. a drop of oil now and then and a wipe off with a Silicon Rag after each use and keeping it indoors (preferably in a safe) is all you have to do.

Look here https://www.pyramydair.com/product/b...le?m=1899#8724

This kind of gun is just like any other kind of gun in that you get what you pay for. And if you look at it like that, paying a little more and getting something nice that you will enjoy shooting well beyond shooting Rats in the back yard. There is a thing called "Tactile Gratification" it is the joy you receive from handling something nice. Some people have a problem conceptualizing this idea. I tell them to remember what it was like the first time you squeezed a nice titty. That usually gets the idea across.

These guns are that good!

Believe me you will thank me for this hot tip!

Look at Pyramyd Air, and Airguns of AZ for the good stuff.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-12-2022 at 4:44 PM..
Old 12-10-2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

You are on the wrong track if you think a Gamo Air gun is some magical thing. They are 1 click above pure junk.

Air Rifles go from cheap crap to nice guns that will outlast you and your children many times.

I have 4 Weihrauch Springers. 2 HW 35's and HW77 and a Beeman R1/ HW80. All of these guns are as nice or nicer than any of my firearms save my nice shotguns which were all over $2000 each.

My first gun was an HW 35 EB (Export for Beeman) in 1977. I paid $189 for it and have fired it about 20,000 times over the years. I will easily outlast me and any one after me that takes care of it. I just got another HW35 E out of a Surplus Store for $60! I had to refinish the gun and clean it up as it had sat in someone's closet for 40+ years. It runs perfectly and identical to the other one. These guns have been in continuous production since 1951 and are now about $550 new. They are considered some of the finest Air Rifles ever made which can extend to everything Weihrauch makes.

Springers are no more loud than a gas piston gun, and you will probably have more problems with a cheap Gas Piston gun than a cheap Springer.

There are other quality brands of Airguns. Most of them are German Made or English. Diana, Walther, Feinwerkbau, Air Arms and others.
'
If you were to spend about $400 you could get a Beeman R7/HW 30 Rifle that is a proper wood and blued steel gun that will give you great joy in use and outlast you and your children as long as you take care of it and treat it like any of your nice firearms. a drop of oil now and then and a wipe off with a Silicon Rag after each use and keeping it indoors (preferably in a safe) is all you have to do.

This kind of gun is just like any other kind of gun in that you get what you pay for. And if you look at it like that, paying a little more and getting something nice that you will enjoy shooting well beyond shooting Rats in the back yard. There is a thing called "Tactile Gratification" it is the joy you receive from handling something nice. Some people have a problem conceptualizing this idea. I tell them to remember what it was like the first time you squeezed a nice titty. That usually gets the idea across.

Randy
Randy, I think the OP may not be so easily swayed by your great argument for quality. Most people think since airguns are less powerful than firearms they need to be cheap too.

I love my airguns more than any of the firearms I have owned. The quality of them are amazing. And yes, I have my original 1985 Beeman R8 from San Rafael, CA, Beeman serviced and running like the 1st day I got it.

Also, picked up a used mint Huntington Beach, CA Beeman R1 from an older gentleman a few years back from Calguns for $250..! I think new ones were $550 then.

I definitely will never argue the gun was the culrpit for inaccuracy..lol Each one I have will outshoot me!

Old 12-12-2022, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

I obviously don't' have to convince you as you have already found the good stuff.

Weihrauch HW 35 EB (Export Beeman)

The problem is convincing the uninitiated that they will enjoy owning a gun like these enough to justify the extra $.

Weihrauch HW35E (Export)

I comment on this a lot, and many people actually listen to what I have to say on the subject. The feedback I have received from those who have purchased Quality Airguns as been 100% positive. And they all say they wish they had done it sooner.

Beeman R1/ Weihrauch HW80

It is a completely different type of rifle. But like I said above these guns all have features that are missing from Generic Firearms, like good triggers, and unwavering accuracy.

I had an FWB300 once. It was a Target Rifle and one of the best ever built, and if you can find one they usually want big $ for them.. It would put every pellet thru the same hole for as long as you could sit there and shoot it. The action life on that gun was stated by the Factory to be,,, wait for it,,,,

6,000,000 rounds! Very few firearm mechanisms will do that.

I put about 5000 rounds thru mine and then got hard up and had to trade it for a Gold Crown to my Dentist. Luckily I still have the crown and it is worth more than the gun was back then. $400

Randy

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-30-2023 at 1:12 PM..
Old 12-12-2022, 7:58 PM
King- Lifetime

Man I don’t know…

Are you guys really sure one of those, not cheap, not quiet, pellet rifles can actually kill rats at 10-15 yards? Seems like a stretch.
Old 12-13-2022, 1:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I acquired a Ruger NXG (re-branded Umarex) pump .177 bb gun which will also shoot the .177 diameter cylindrical projectiles. It has a rifled barrel, so it's more than just a "toy".

Got it to put down rats caught in adhesive traps. It does the job with ease... right through their heads with only 7 pumps. Of course that's point blank not at 100 yards. Under $100 if I recall correctly and still enough to grab projectiles for that C-note.

Last edited by bruss01; 12-13-2022 at 2:07 PM..
Old 12-14-2022, 8:44 PM

Oh yeah Randy, I love them..lol

The FWB 300 was my dream rifle back in 1985, it was just too out of my reach then. Even the R1 was pricey and a magnum. Scrawny teenager like me got the Beeman R8 and back then Beeman allowed you to order "select group" plus "select barrel angle" which I opted for, and I am so glad I did. Most barrel cocking rifles have a slight droop and if you don't use a scope mount that has been shimmed you can run out of elevation dial. My "select group" R8 shoots laser accurate too, one time I was able to shoot 5 shots thru the same hole at 10m..! Could never do that again..lol My R8 still has the Japanese made Beeman SS-3 scope with flouride coatings even back then. Scope is still perfect and functioning like it did since 1986.

Anyway happy shooting..!
Old 12-14-2022, 9:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you live in an “urban” area, the main problem is not sound.

The problem is one of your nosy neighbors seeing you with a “gun” and freaking out.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 12-15-2022, 9:16 AM

Quote:

My first gun was an HW 35 EB (Export for Beeman) in 1977. I paid $189 for it and have fired it about 20,000 times over the years. I will easily outlast me and any one after me that takes care of it. I just got another HW35 E out of a Surplus Store for $60! I had to refinish the stock and clean it up as it had sat in someone's closet for 40+ years. It runs perfectly and identical to the other one. These guns have been in continuous production since 1951 and are now about $550 new. They are considered some of the finest Air Rifles ever made which can extend to everything Weihrauch makes.

'

Randy
How I wish I still had my Custom FWB 124, sold to me by Mrs. Beeman in San Rafael when they had their shop there. The stock alone rivaled anything on a custom firearm, it was picked out from their custom stock selection, bedded and once the FWD settled in, was amazing. They put their ultimate tune on the action, it was so smooth, no vibration and the trigger was nothing short of miraculous.

I'd give one of mine and both of anyone else's to have it again. It was a true heirloom. I traded my first springer for it, A Diana Model 23 I brought back from Germany. That thing had taken a lot of rabbits and filled several filled wild boar gut buckets with pellets. The Beemans had one of their Smiths reseal it and while there I saw the FWB124. Bought it on the spot and then she showed me their custom stocks in back. Unbelievable. They had just came out with their vented muzzle break which was more of something to hold onto when breaking the barrel rather than hands on the nice bluing. Back then the stock was over $700.

The R1 came out shortly after that but I thought it was a monster compared to the FWB124. It appeared bulky overweight compared to the sleeker lines of the graceful 124.

But life changes happen and when I got back into air stuff I went to single stoke pneumatics shooting 3 position (along with 22s for the same thing).

I met with the Beemans several times, good talks and lots of show and tell. Later on they opened to the shop to selling firearms and had a goodie selection of high end Walthers (Oh that P88).

A nice, well maintained single stoke pneumatic with diopter sights - not much can touch them in accuracy out to typical airgun range. They aren't as powerful but then when you can pick the eye of the pest and know the pellet is going there, power becomes secondary.

Defense is a losing proposition when time is on the side of the opponent. In the history of humanity, no defense has ever won against an enemy with time on their side.

Last edited by SharedShots; 12-15-2022 at 9:22 AM..
Old 12-15-2022, 9:54 AM

Pack Rats are a constant problem around here. I control them with several Havahart live traps, then dispatch them with a little $50 Benjamin .177 pump pistol (recommended by a local pest control guy). I have to say that even at point blank, the larger ones don't always drop dead on the first hit. If they are as large as you say, I'd agree with others that a .22 might be a better option, but better yet, just trap them or consider other means. Don't go out on a rat-shooting-spree if you have neighbors.

Last edited by Fastattack; 12-15-2022 at 10:01 AM..
Old 12-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
How I wish I still had my Custom FWB 124, sold to me by Mrs. Beeman in San Rafael when they had their shop there. The stock alone rivaled anything on a custom firearm, it was picked out from their custom stock selection, bedded and once the FWD settled in, was amazing. They put their ultimate tune on the action, it was so smooth, no vibration and the trigger was nothing short of miraculous.

I'd give one of mine and both of anyone else's to have it again. It was a true heirloom. I traded my first springer for it, A Diana Model 23 I brought back from Germany. That thing had taken a lot of rabbits and filled several filled wild boar gut buckets with pellets. The Beemans had one of their Smiths reseal it and while there I saw the FWB124. Bought it on the spot and then she showed me their custom stocks in back. Unbelievable. They had just came out with their vented muzzle break which was more of something to hold onto when breaking the barrel rather than hands on the nice bluing. Back then the stock was over $700.

The R1 came out shortly after that but I thought it was a monster compared to the FWB124. It appeared bulky overweight compared to the sleeker lines of the graceful 124.

But life changes happen and when I got back into air stuff I went to single stoke pneumatics shooting 3 position (along with 22s for the same thing).

I met with the Beemans several times, good talks and lots of show and tell. Later on they opened to the shop to selling firearms and had a goodie selection of high end Walthers (Oh that P88).

A nice, well maintained single stoke pneumatic with diopter sights - not much can touch them in accuracy out to typical airgun range. They aren't as powerful but then when you can pick the eye of the pest and know the pellet is going there, power becomes secondary.
The FWB124 was contemporary with the HW35 but was about $10-20 more. I've only see 2-3 124s in the real world and I have the only 2 HW35's I've seen in person.

You've got to do some research to find the good stuff.

I remember seeing custom stocked 124's in either a Beeman Catalog or in a Magazine. I still have the catalogs, my first one was from 1976. These contained a wealth of info on airguns an Beeman stocked only the best ones available. my first one was a HW35 EB for Export to Beeman and it has a nicer finished stock and a Shorter 16" BBL. The one I got for $60 is a HW35E (Export)and had a lesser finished stock and a 19" bbl.

My HW35's and HW77 I can cock with my left arm. I have to use my right arm to cock the R1. It is a .22 and much more powerful than any of the others. It is a beast! 10 lb gun. All these guns look new. All of them are a joy to shoot!

Randy

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 12-15-2022 at 6:01 PM..
Old 12-15-2022, 8:19 PM

Quote:
The FWB124 was contemporary with the HW35 but was about $10-20 more. I've only see 2-3 124s in the real world and I have the only 2 HW35's I've seen in person.

You've got to do some research to find the good stuff.

I remember seeing custom stocked 124's in either a Beeman Catalog or in a Magazine. I still have the catalogs, my first one was from 1976. These contained a wealth of info on airguns an Beeman stocked only the best ones available. my first one was a HW35 EB for Export to Beeman and it has a nicer finished stock and a Shorter 16" BBL. The one I got for $60 is a HW35E (Export)and had a lesser finished stock and a 19" bbl.

My HW35's and HW77 I can cock with my left arm. I have to use my right arm to cock the R1. It is a .22 and much more powerful than any of the others. It is a beast! 10 lb gun. All these guns look new. All of them are a joy to shoot!

Randy
That was something I really liked about the 124, it had such a light break. I remember talking to Robert Beeman about how they chose which guns to import and he told me that one important thing was the angle of the barrel since break barrels all have some angle to them at the point, they met the receiver. As a result there was less work needed to get scopes to work well with them.

That R1 was a beast. When I tried it the thing took me aback a little, I think it was something like 30-40 pounds so I put the stock between my legs on a seat and did the two arm thing. The 124 I could shoot all day long.

I did save all my correspondence with the Beemans, his wife and mine at the time got along really well, similar backgrounds and culture.

Ah, so goes. I still think a good springer of high quality is a joy to shoot. It takes a bit to get used to things being in motion before pellets head downrange but once mastered they hold their own with anything.

I've tried the PCP models but there is just too much stuff even when they have large cylinders and the new balancing plenums to get lots of consistent shots. There is something about the simplicity of heading out with a tin of 500 pellets and coming back empty after a weekend that makes it worthwhile.

The Beemans did a lot to get people into the hobby.

Time to size some cases, I have one of your hand presses, best reloading tool I have. There is something about finely made stuff than makes using them a joy. No smoke, it sure beats sitting in a cold garage with a bench mounted job when I can be inside, some flick on, wife doing her thing and I'm just going at prepping cases. I only pinched a finger once, luckily it was just depriming. Never had it happen again.

Old 12-15-2022, 8:54 PM

Benjamin Regal nitro piston in .22. Upgrade to a Charlie da Tuna trigger, better scope and rings. Mine’s a killer. Loves cheap crossman pellets. Will go through one side of a soup can and dimple a hole on the other side at 15 yds. Was a little noisy at first due to dieseling but quieted down after a tin of pellets.
Old 12-16-2022, 8:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharedShots View Post
That was something I really liked about the 124, it had such a light break. I remember talking to Robert Beeman about how they chose which guns to import and he told me that one important thing was the angle of the barrel since break barrels all have some angle to them at the point, they met the receiver. As a result there was less work needed to get scopes to work well with them.

That R1 was a beast. When I tried it the thing took me aback a little, I think it was something like 30-40 pounds so I put the stock between my legs on a seat and did the two arm thing. The 124 I could shoot all day long.

I did save all my correspondence with the Beemans, his wife and mine at the time got along really well, similar backgrounds and culture.

Ah, so goes. I still think a good springer of high quality is a joy to shoot. It takes a bit to get used to things being in motion before pellets head downrange but once mastered they hold their own with anything.

I've tried the PCP models but there is just too much stuff even when they have large cylinders and the new balancing plenums to get lots of consistent shots. There is something about the simplicity of heading out with a tin of 500 pellets and coming back empty after a weekend that makes it worthwhile.

The Beemans did a lot to get people into the hobby.

Time to size some cases, I have one of your hand presses, best reloading tool I have. There is something about finely made stuff than makes using them a joy. No smoke, it sure beats sitting in a cold garage with a bench mounted job when I can be inside, some flick on, wife doing her thing and I'm just going at prepping cases. I only pinched a finger once, luckily it was just depriming. Never had it happen again.

Yes the big reason I got the Hw35 was the barrel latch which insured that the barrel locks up in the same position every time.

As far as pinching your finger on my press, Sorry bout that,,, but I clearly state in my instructions that "You'll only do it once!" Glad you are happy with it, so far over 350 sold and none have came back.

I know you get the concept of "Tactile Gratification" and joy in use. That's why people have constantly tried to make things better thru out the evolution of time. Otherwise there would be no progress in Technology.

These Air Guns are some of the finest lead launchers the Germans ever came up with, and just think, if we hadn't stopped them from producing firearms and other weapons of war after WW1, we never would have had them.

Randy

Old 12-17-2022, 3:46 PM
Mustache Wax Aficionado

I have a Benji Nitro tuned by "Mean" Gene Curtis and a Tuna trigger. Silent but deadly

That's my vermin tool of choice

When the going gets weird, the WEIRD, turn pro.
Old 12-17-2022, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Bronson View Post
I have a Benji Nitro tuned by "Mean" Gene Curtis and a Tuna trigger. Silent but deadly

That's my vermin tool of choice
What did the tune entail? Anyone providing Gene’s services’ since he passes in 2015?
Old 12-17-2022, 3:59 PM
Mustache Wax Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClAddict View Post
What did the tune entail? Anyone providing Gene’s services’ since he passes in 2015?
I suggest Shadow on GTA .
Gene trained him and his is a prolific pest buster

When the going gets weird, the WEIRD, turn pro.
Old 12-17-2022, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

I reload reduced loaded 45-70 with a small amount of powder.
cat sneeze or mouse fart loud. Eet weel keeel!

Single fin mentality
Old 12-19-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yes the big reason I got the Hw35 was the barrel latch which insured that the barrel locks up in the same position every time.

As far as pinching your finger on my press, Sorry bout that,,, but I clearly state in my instructions that "You'll only do it once!" Glad you are happy with it, so far over 350 sold and none have came back.

I know you get the concept of "Tactile Gratification" and joy in use. That's why people have constantly tried to make things better thru out the evolution of time. Otherwise there would be no progress in Technology.

These Air Guns are some of the finest lead launchers the Germans ever came up with, and just think, if we hadn't stopped them from producing firearms and other weapons of war after WW1, we never would have had them.

Randy
For sure, no complaints. Only happened once, I think it's like anything, gotta happen once to put the brain into the right gear. Who hasn't hit a finger with a hammer? or deprimed and sized cases, filled with powder and projectile but forgot a new primer? Only once for that too so at least I learn.

That press has allowed me to actually develop loads instead of just going with good enough. Changed the whole game for me. Thanks.

Sorry for the thread jack folks.

Old 12-19-2022, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

+ 1 Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Daisy 880. Quiet, shoots pellets or bbs. Kills rats dead.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 12-19-2022, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just shot a huge rat with my .177 break top pellet gun. Old one I bpught at big 5. head to tail rat is 20" long.
Old 12-20-2022, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

That's a big Rat!

I have to tell a story that is near and dear to me.

When we lived in Ventura we had a Cable TV line that ran up the back of all the houses on the street below the electric lines.

I was laying on the couch one evening with the back door open and a rat scurried down the line and jumped off at the neighbors Avocado Tree.

A few minutes later here he comes back and jumped off behind the next door neighbor house into a bramble of Ivy where it turned out he lived. He was getting pretty fat living off the Avocados. Several trips a day to the Produce Store?

I told my wife about it and she saw the whole show the next night.

Next thing I know she is camped out at the back door in a lawn chair with this old Diana .22 cal. Break Barrel Pellet Pistol I had,,, waiting for said Rat. This gun might have gotten 250 fps on a good day and you could definitely see the pellets go down range.

She didn't get a shot until two nights later, and damned if she didn't clip the Rat off the Cable TV wire at a full gallop! It took the rat @3 seconds to run 20 yards across the back of our house, and somehow she managed to connect with it!!!

Mind you, she had never shot that gun before, and was not proficient with any gun at all, and to make a running shot on that Rat definitely called for a healthy dose of Devine Intervention.

I couldn't have made that shot with 100 tries! but it happened and if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I never would have believed it.

Our Cat "Mr. Fuzzball," had the Rat on one bounce and ate the damn thing from head to tail and left the stomach on the mat at the back door for my wife.

She has never shot that gun or any other gun again.

I probably would have quit while I was ahead too!

Randy

Old 12-20-2022, 6:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sent you a PM OP. If you’re in the Pasadena area I got pellet rifles for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I just shot a huge rat with my .177 break top pellet gun. Old one I bpught at big 5. head to tail rat is 20" long.
20” rat or neighbor’s chihuahua? Kidding!
Old 12-22-2022, 1:20 PM
King- Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Sent you a PM OP. If you’re in the Pasadena area I got pellet rifles for you.

20” rat or neighbor’s chihuahua? Kidding!
Not much difference.