Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 01-07-2019, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Default Fun handgun action and 3 gun match

We will be holding out monthly action pistol and 3-gun match this Saturday (Jan 12) at Burro Canyon, starting at 9 AM. This is great chance to try out competition action shooting in a no pressure environment. We run it like a match - commands, procedures, safety, timer, etc but it is just for fun. It is fun, but not really for a hardcore, established competitor. It is, however, great for someone to test the water, get an insight into matches and how they are run or just to have fun shooting from the holster, some movement and reactive targets. After the match, we have the private range all day so you can stay and shoot afterwards, too.

Check in with us (The No Name Pistol Club) at the first private range on the right as you enter, across from the range office. No need to check in with the range. Cost is $35 for the range rental all day and targets.
Old 01-08-2019, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

I usually bring 100-150 rounds of handgun ammo, 40 rounds of rifle ammo (though 20 will usually suffice,) and 25 rounds of shotgun ammo. If you need a rifle or shotgun for the 3-gun, bring .223 and/or 12 GA birdshot. Buckshot tears up our knockdown targets too badly.
Old 01-09-2019, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

It looks like a couple of members hereare going to make it, as well as my niece and her fiancé as first timers.
Old 01-10-2019, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

From our match organizer:

We will be shooting at Burro Canyon this Saturday, and it looks like the weather will cooperate to let us use our steel targets. We do have a rain cover to put up for protection of the rifle rack if needed, but you might want to bring rain gear. Expect at least two pistol stages and one three gun stage, including clays on the fly, so bring suitable bird shot. See you at the range!
alrich77@hotmail.com

Allen sways he will be there no matter the weather, and we can use steel targets hopefully, so the plate rack may come out.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Accuweather says about an hour or less of morning rain then dry for Azusa.
Old 01-12-2019, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

It was a fun shoot. We had a couple guys from CalGuns show up and shoot, along with one son. My niece and her fiancé showed up as first timers too. The rainheld off pretty well until we started the 3 gun, but most soldiered through it. All the first timers had a ball and all will be back! With the rain, we shot the plate rack and poppers in every stage and no paper/cardboard targets this month.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:19 AM

I attended this with my 15 year old son. Al and Rick are great guys and organize this purely out of their passion for shooting. It was a nice small group (7 total) and we had a blast!

After setting up the targets we had a safety briefing and they explained how the event would run. Everyone in attendance was a newbie so Al and Rick were very patient and walked us through every step. We had 3 or 4 handgun courses, with the targets set up so you had to move around to get a good line of fire. The last stage was a 3-gun (rifle - shotgun - pistol). A holster is very useful, but not necessary (one attendee did not have a holster). It doesn't need to be a professional quick draw holster either. One of the guys used an old school WWII style 1911 type holster. And two of us bought drop leg holsters from a vender who sets up near the front office for a really reasonable price.

I just want to stress again for any newbies who are interested but anxious about shooting in an event like this: this is a great event to develop new shooting skills in an absolutely no pressure environment. I'll definitely be back even with the 3 hour round trip drive.
Old 01-14-2019, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

It was great meeting you and Ian. I am glad you had a great time, and look forward to shooting with you both again. We would have had at least a couple more "veteran" members if the weather had been better. The rain is why Al chose to use his "full cover" GI style holster. Since Kendra did not have a holster, she started from the low ready position.

Thanks for the kind words!
Rick
Old 01-16-2019, 11:34 PM

Just saw this and sounds like a fun time. Hoping to catch the next one. You mentioned itll be monthly and here at Burro?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, we hold it on the second Saturday of every month at Burro Canyon, starting at 9 AM. We are at the first private range area on the right as you enter, across from the office. Sign in directly with us, not at the office. We collect the fee and do the sign up for them.
Old 01-26-2019, 3:43 AM

If your interested In 3 gun don’t hasitate or just read about it, come on by. Everyone’s super friendly, helpful, kinda funny, but most importantly takes safety really seriously. Newbies (like myself) are always welcome
Old 02-05-2019, 5:30 PM

This looks fun. I’m going to try it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One nation under God

Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.”
- General George Patton Jr

In regard to Murphy's Law, my wife said she met Murphy and she doesn't like him!
Old 02-06-2019, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

We will be gathering at Burro Canyon on Saturday, 9 February, 2019 at 9 AM. With all the recent rain we will be able to use our steel targets, so plan accordingly. There is a possibility that it will rain Saturday, but the match will go on as scheduled. We had a great match in spite of the rain last month.

Allen alrich77@hotmail.com
Old 02-08-2019, 6:56 PM

Who are ready for tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2019, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torr11 View Post
Who are ready for tomorrow?

Finished a 12 hour shift, ate pizza and now packing stuff up for tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One nation under God

Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.”

In regard to Murphy's Law, my wife said she met Murphy and she doesn't like him!
Old 02-09-2019, 5:33 AM

Packing up soon
Old 02-09-2019, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

I live in Apple Valley and started up the Cajon Pass this morning, but it was coming down pretty good with snow chain warnings for the mountain roads, so I had to turn around. If anyone here does make it up there and the match is held, [please post how it went. Thanks!
Rick
Old 02-09-2019, 2:02 PM

Great day in the range, no rain nice weather excellent people

Old 02-09-2019, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

I am glad you made it and that the match went on. I wish I had made it there - I look forward to it every month!
Old 02-09-2019, 5:33 PM

I’ll be back as soon as my schedule allows.

Well run and fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One nation under God

Old 02-10-2019, 12:10 AM

I almost bailed due to the rain, but I am.very glad I went.
Lots of great people, most indicated they would be back next month and on an ongoing basis.

To be able to engage multiple targets, using multiple weapons while moving....... awesome!

This is a great event!