Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-11-2020, 6:11 PM

Default Someone got a ticket in my name! How?

I lived in NV back in the 90's (with a NV license) & then moved back to Calif around 2000 +/- (got my Calif license back). Just a few weeks ago I moved to Oregon but when I went to the DMV they wouldn't let me get a license. They said I had 2 things 'pending' in NV. 1 accident & 1 withdrawal (?). That I needed to clear these & have them cleared in the National System. I called NV DMV & they said I got in an accident on 12/24/18 in LV under the name Willie Rogers (my names William Rogers). I told the lady it wasn't me & she said she'd try to get it cleared up. They had all the info from my NV license listed (that expired years ago). We talked back & forth & I gave her my Calif DL number. She then called & said she couldn't prove to herself that I wasn't involved. She also said awhile back someone told her a story similar to mine, she cleared it & then proof came that the guy was lying & she said she had "egg all over her face". So she was being extra careful. I did some research & called her back. I told her I'd send her my Google Maps showing the last time my phone was in Vegas was 06/01/2017. So that shows my phone wasn't in LV on 12/24/18. I have a GPS tracker on my car that shows I was nowhere near LV on that date. I told her I'd send all 7 of my credit card & bank statements that show no transactions in LV at that time. And I have transactions on my CC & ready teller card in Ventura, Ca on that day. One for eating at Marie Calendar's & one for going to the tanning booth. And a transaction at my ready teller on that day. I lived in Ventura, Ca & LV is 5 hours away. She said none of these would clear it. She wouldn't really give me any info on anything. Just said to call the LV Metro police dept & ask them how I can clear this up. I'm clueless on how all this happened! Thank You! Bill
ps, she asked me over & over again if I ever owned a '99 Chevy. Over & over. I told her no...

Last edited by 32blownhemi; 01-12-2020 at 4:39 AM..
Old 01-12-2020, 7:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Should have asked her what was the license plate number on the 99 chevy, and who was it registered to?

Probably the Willie guy.. similar names....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
it basically boils down to "do as we say". A million little King Georges out there in uniform with a gun and a badge.
Old 01-12-2020, 7:52 AM
CGSSA Associate

Yep common names suck!

Cali did it to me a few years back, took 2 months before the make & color issue finally got them to see the light.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Common name and/or plain old identity theft victim. Not surprising. People suck.

ďPay attention. Iím educating you and Iím using small words.Ē -Mark Levin

-Life member, NRA
-ΙΧΘΥΣ <><
Old 01-13-2020, 12:26 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to call the LV Metro Police tomorrow & get all the info I can. And go from there. I'm a 14 hr drive from LV, don't really want to have to go to court there. A friend mentioned maybe my insurance company can help. There are $2600 in damages. So If I don't get it cleared up I'd think at some point they'd link it to my Calif license... And yes identity thief is a possibility. But I ran my 3 credit reports this week-end & no one's using my credit. At least if they are there paying the bills cus my FICO is 805! Thanks again... Bill

Last edited by 32blownhemi; 01-13-2020 at 12:30 AM..
Old 01-13-2020, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32blownhemi View Post
... I'm a 14 hr drive from LV, don't really want to have to go ...
Fly to Vegas and the R/T will add 24 hours to the party YOLO
Old 01-14-2020, 5:51 AM

Filled out an on-line form to have the Police Report sent to me. Also talked to DMV again & she said the Van was registered to Willie Rogers... So waiting...
Old 01-14-2020, 6:15 AM

Something similar happened with a parking ticket a few years back. HBPD wrote a parking ticket to a out of state car with the same numbers as mine, but the clerk that input it into the system , marked it as a CA plate. it wasnt until I got a copy of the ticket that showed the other state and point it out to them, that it was corrected. Make sure the info that the officer wrote initially is included, ask for copies of his field notes. the physical description, etc he noted should be different
Old 01-14-2020, 7:28 PM

Thank you FF90! I got a call today from the LV DMV & they cleared it up. Which is a good thing cuz they said Progressive Insurance Co was looking for me to collect $2600! Asking for copies of the officers field notes would have been an excellent idea. Because the only info the officer got that matched me was my last name & my birthday. DMV matched that to all my info from when I had a Nevada license back in the 90's...
Old 01-14-2020, 7:49 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Did they tell you how the mix up happened?

Old 01-14-2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Did they tell you how the mix up happened?
Trump's fault