Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated > Semiauto Rifles Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Semiauto Rifles Gallery Post pictures of your rifles and carbines here!

Old 12-06-2018, 12:10 PM
josyth
CGN Contributor

Talking My clipped winged Valkyrie

From stock to business end for your pleasure
-Moe rifle stock and luth rifle buffer system
-Spikes tactical snowflake lower
-LaRue 3.5# 2 stage trigger
-Strike industries megafin
-Phase 5 v3 ambi bolt catch
-An old Daniel defense mk18 upper from my cousin
-aero precision 6.8 bcg
-vortex diamondback tactical 6-24 on a warne x-skel mount
- Wilson combat 22” fluted barrel 1/6.5T
-slr hybrid 16” handguard and adjustable gas block
-Gg&g bipod
-fortis Red muzzle brake
-random parts I had laying around for spring and detents

Can’t wait to get some 88gr eld to load into this gonna be using h4895 and reloader 17

Last edited by villabroza; 12-06-2018 at 1:03 PM..
Old 12-18-2018, 10:44 AM
josyth
CGN Contributor

Update:
Measured the max OAL with the 88eld i just got in and it measure 2.368. my max mag length allowable is 2.293. That would be a .075 jump to the lands. That is quite ridiculous. From searching other forums people have had decent results with the high BC bullets even with a .1 jump to the lands. So, I feel that I am at a lost with either going forward with starting load development or srcapping this barrel for another company that did not use the bad reamers. I emailed Wilson Combat to see if I could trade in my barrel for a newer one with proper SAAMI spec chambering.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:01 AM

Nice build OP. I shot mine this weekend. Bison armory 1:6.5 twist. Did not like the 88 grain Factory ammo but it did like my hand loads using 88 grain hornady's seated to maximum mag length, where the polymer tip was just touching the mag. 1/2 groups using CFE 223. Just got some 90 and 95 SMK's I'll be testing with R17.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:13 AM
josyth
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx03 View Post
Nice build OP. I shot mine this weekend. Bison armory 1:6.5 twist. Did not like the 88 grain Factory ammo but it did like my hand loads using 88 grain hornady's seated to maximum mag length, where the polymer tip was just touching the mag. 1/2 groups using CFE 223. Just got some 90 and 95 SMK's I'll be testing with R17.
Thanks. I too have rl17 on deck. I've heard it is a bit temp sensitive so if i get a load down I'll be using it when temps are under 85F and I have chosen h4895 as my summer powder. I just got a few boxes of the 88s and I've only shot the 75gr federal stuff. What magazine are you using and have you measured your distance to the lands in your barrel. I'm stubborn so, I'd really like to stick with what i have, I like the bull profile of the barrel a lot.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:40 AM

I'm using C Products 6.8 SPC 5 and 10 round mags. I have not measured distance to the lands yet. I'm going to try and see if I can get an accurate load at magazine length before experimenting with the distance to the lands.
I think the whole point of the Valkyrie is to shoot heavy bullets at magazine length, I'll try that for now and see how it works.
I'll be testing some 90 and 95 bullets this weekend and if it goes well I'll take some out to Piru the following week.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:40 PM
josyth
CGN Contributor

Oooh, nice. I go to Piru a few times a year, I mostly frequent asr and a place to shoot, maybe I’ll catch you there. I hear more people having luck with the 95s than the 90. I just got in 1k Hornady 88s so I’m pretty invested in the Valkyrie now. I have some 50gr barrel burners loaded with h4895 and they were quite crunchy, trying those out next month when I finally have the time, probably going to use that as foulers.