Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Holsters, Equipment and Accessories Questions, answers and discussions regarding equipment specific to concealed carry.

Old 09-04-2022, 9:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default A question for the...uhh..."round" guys about comfort (is there such a thing?).

Wrong sub-forum, I think. If so can a mod please move?

I bought a Men's Belt, Nexbelt EDC Supreme Appendix Black 38mm Nylon Gun Utility Harness Ratchet Belt for Concealed Carry, and a Vedder LightTuck Kydex IWB with a claw. Glock 19 3rd gen. I don't have any gripe about either the belt or the holster, but I'm also new at CCW.

I'm about 5'10 and on the bad side of 225 lbs with a gut and 38-40" waist . It's not so bad carrying if I'm standing, but sitting, especially in a car, is rough to say the least. The "best" placement I can seem to find is 1:00-ish, and it would be hard to imagine a long drive like that, especially when it feels like the barrel is directed right into my femur.

Any ideas? Plan to change up to a Glock 26 or 29, or a single stack at renewal time? Revolver? Pocket-carry (seems unfeasible unless I'm wearing a jacket)? Any placement suggestions I'm missing?

Last edited by RBShooter; 09-04-2022 at 10:07 AM..
Old 09-04-2022, 10:03 AM

Everyone is different. Try leather OWB @ 3-4 O'clock, if that doesn't work a shoulder rig might. Another option is a padded pocket holster like Remora that might work with your wardrobe. Good luck and keep trying new things.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

I’m maybe 10-15 lbs over and 71 years old.

I want complete comfort since I carry small but heavy steel every day and all waking hours

OWB, one size larger untucked shirt and Perry belt attach suspenders under the shirt and over a t shirt

Can’t stand a gun squeezed between my stomach/side and a belt

Ut I’m retired. No dress code ever
Old 09-04-2022, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Optimize for the most frequent use, I think.

Driving or sitting seems to call for shoulder holster or cross-draw.

I carry my G19 IWB at 4 o'clock.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:09 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm the same size. Try a Galco KingTuck and place the clips so that it has as much forward cant as it can go and try at 3:00. The forward cant gets the gun butt rotated far enough forward to not dig in the back of a car seat and its far enough on the side not to pinch your leg when you sit. While not practicle in the heat, times when you can wear an undershirt and overshirt, suspenders really let the belt be looser while holding everything inplace. Apendix will never work with me and sitting. Pocket carry J frame with a bagge T shirt works for me, but is usless and impossable to draw sitting

Last edited by G-forceJunkie; 09-04-2022 at 10:14 AM..
Old 09-04-2022, 10:20 AM

My suggestions are smaller gun and wear it low as possible at the 1 ish position. Sig P365 or even smaller P238/P938 or similar. A IWB holster that can ride low enough that the handgrip is under or just partially above your belt. The negative is this is very bad for a quick draw and nearly imposable from a seated position. The positive is its comfortable enough to wear. Seated in the car, gun and holster doesn't need to be on your body. Anyway, this is what works for me but everyone is different.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Adjust your Vedder so the ride height is at the top and cant is fully forward. Wear the holster at 3.30 or 4 o'clock. I have a similar waist and for me at least, this works.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Optimize for the most frequent use, I think.

Driving or sitting seems to call for shoulder holster or cross-draw.

I carry my G19 IWB at 4 o'clock.

I love this site for the wisdom it shares. It beats making hundreds of mistakes.
Old 09-04-2022, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Try grabbing your belt with the holster and pulling it away from your body as you sit down then let it rest again on you.
Old 09-04-2022, 4:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post

I bought a Men's Belt, Nexbelt EDC Supreme Appendix Black 38mm Nylon Gun Utility Harness Ratchet Belt for Concealed Carry, and a Vedder LightTuck Kydex IWB with a claw. Glock 19 3rd gen. I don't have any gripe about either the belt or the holster, but I'm also new at CCW.

I'm about 5'10 and on the bad side of 225 lbs with a gut and 38-40" waist . It's not so bad carrying if I'm standing, but sitting, especially in a car, is rough to say the least. The "best" placement I can seem to find is 1:00-ish, and it would be hard to imagine a long drive like that, especially when it feels like the barrel is directed right into my femur.

Any ideas? Plan to change up to a Glock 26 or 29, or a single stack at renewal time? Revolver? Pocket-carry (seems unfeasible unless I'm wearing a jacket)? Any placement suggestions I'm missing?
I'm 5' 10" and close to 260lbs. I can drive all day with my Shield IWB. I don't even feel it using a Sticky holster at 8 o'clock.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 09-04-2022, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

If you haven't done this already...and I'd probably do it with an unloaded gun...

1) Does the holster have a pad of some sort at the bottom (where the muzzle is)? Here's an example...and JMC has some in different shapes. Other makers sell them too. If you don't have a pad, you may try adding one and see if it helps. Note that a thicker pad will generally help push the top of the gun closer into your body which will also help reduce printing. It may also make it a little harder to get you hand on it during the draw...but hopefully you can find a sweet spot. Most pads can be cut and trimmed as desired. I've also seen some companies that offer a set of pads in several different thicknesses so you can choose the one that works best for you.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/NSWP.html

2) Bodies come in all shapes and sizes. Many have a bit of a natural indentation in the area between your junk and your leg (closer to your leg). If you don't have a slight indentation here, then forget this. But if you do, the goal is to see if you can position the holster in this area...and see if it helps.

First sit in the car and slide the holster around on your belt and see if you can find any position that is comfortable for you (I would try everything from 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock). Try canting the holster a bit too. Note that a single fat clip may make this difficult. Some people prefer to carry with either a single slim clip or a single soft loop. The use of a single clip/loop allows more mobility in the holster to adjust as your body changes position. If the clip on the Vedder doesn't allow for any movement/adjustability in the holster as you're wearing it and moving, opting for a different clip could solve the problem.

If you can't get it comfortable, unclip the holster and slide it up just a bit and then see if you can find a comfortable spot. If you can, you may need a holster that you can adjust for ride height. Also, sometimes a slightly longer holster is more comfortable. So play with the ride height both ways. A longer holster could essentially be achieved either by adjusting ride height down or going with a glock 17 length holster. But you don't want the gun so high that it tries to "fall over your belt." That's no bueno.

I hope some of that helps. Appendix may not be your position. But this is very much a journey to find what works best for you. It's why we all end up with a drawer full of holsters...cause it takes some time to find the holy grail. Note too that a different appendix holster could work better for you. Sometimes a slightly different holster just works where the other one doesn't.

Fighter Pilot
Old 09-05-2022, 10:00 AM

For the OP'specific issues/questions (may not apply to others):
As this is a common California issue, do consider qualifying with the usually-allowed-three handguns for your permit. If your IA (issuing agency) allows more handguns on the permit, then even better. Go ahead and keep your G19, but buy the G26 and another handgun for your 3-handgun-permit. I'll say the G29 has a similar shape/size to the G19, but thicker, and it probably won't be an answer to the OP's AIWB size issue, but if he just wants it, go ahead.
(I have an identically sized (to a G29SF) G30SF, but will usually carry it at 3:30 owb/iwb or in a shoulder holster.

A few of the holsters I'll use are made by Blade-Tech, called the "Klipt" model(s):
https://blade-tech.com/products/klipt-iwb-holster

Consider wearing the holster at 3:30 to 4:00 while driving. Once you're out of the vehicle and walking/standing, you can move the holstered handgun to your preferred AIWB location from 12:00 to 1:00.

Everybody has his/her carry type preferences, whether aiwb, iwb, owb, shoulder, pocket, ankle, cross-draw. At least our permits don't require us to qualify and stay with a carry method for the permit's time period.

I should mention I'm built differently from the OP and have no problems with any of my AIWB holsters, which are made for G19, G26, G43, J-frame S&W revolvers. Also, if folks are wondering, it's unlimited for me as to what I may carry with my CCW permits (not limited to just three).
Old 09-05-2022, 3:51 PM

My body type is very different from yours, so my advise may not be so helpful. A Clinger style pad, other companies make the same thing, can make it a lot more comfortable both standing and sitting for me with appendix. It also allows for less concealment because it sticks out a little more, at least for me. But I'm 150 and 5'8". Another option may be OWB. I originally thought OWB absolutely wouldn't work for me except in the winter, but I was wrong. Even with this heat wave, it hides just fine under an untucked shirt that's probably just a hair to big for me.

I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 09-05-2022, 7:46 PM

Many thanks for all the awesome input, gentlemen. I will work on adjustment and placement with the equipment I have now. I will also try an OWB holster as well, and will definitely be bumping up to three handguns at renewal time.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:02 AM

I'm still in the process of loosing a bit of fluff but I may be in the same boat with the round belly. I've found larger frame guns to be more comfortable. Generally I wear a SP-01 with a light at about 1-2 o'clock. I really like the holsters with a claw so that I can run a looser belt and still allow the grip to curve around my gut, especially when sitting. A very rigid belt and good holster makes a world of difference.

My experience with the smaller guns has not been fun. The G26 is about as small as I like to carry if I can help it. A 642 on a clip is super comfy to carry but is not easy to shoot. The P356 and shield (AIWB) tended to twist under my gut because the smaller guns don't have much body contact below the belt line. I ended up selling the shield because the shape of the beavertail stabbed be in the fat in a bad way.

Unfortunately getting stabbed in the leg or groin is an inevitability but every holster hits differently. If I'm on a long drive, I'll let a click or two out of the belt and adjust the grip angle a fuzz. Maybe things will change when I have flat washboard abs.
Old 09-09-2022, 2:13 PM
Veteran Member

5' '11" 235 lbs with a 40" nice spare tire. I've got two hybrid holsters; a Theis double clip hybrid and a Cross Breed Supertuck; both similar style IWB that I can carry either a full size XD .45 or a subcompact XD 10 round 45 without printing and while wearing a comfortable summer tank top, or T shirt all day long while about town and while driving . Worn at 3;30- 4 o'clock, forward tilt with the holster mouth just peeping out enough to easily holster or draw with correct hand position.

Single fin mentality
Old 09-09-2022, 10:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think I'm probably fatter than you lol. I wear a Black Rhino Concealment holster with soft belt loops at 3 o'clock. Very comfortable and doesn't dig into my gut or love handles.
Old 09-13-2022, 1:09 PM

I seem to be in a similar boat as others here. About 6’ and 230, I like my Glock 26 at the 3 or 4 position in whatever holster I use. I will even use my Remora there and cant it slightly forward and it conceal real well. Looking at the Black Arch hybrid since it has a full wrap on the trigger guard unlike most hybrids. I have a Vedder hybrid for my P226 and wasn’t all that excited about it.

This is the one I’m eyeballing.

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/products/protos-m

Last edited by SigSauerP226; 09-13-2022 at 2:41 PM..
Old 09-13-2022, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbonez View Post
Everyone is different. Try leather OWB @ 3-4 O'clock, if that doesn't work a shoulder rig might. Another option is a padded pocket holster like Remora that might work with your wardrobe. Good luck and keep trying new things.

I was thinking shoulder rig too.
Old 09-16-2022, 4:17 PM

I am a big guy (fat ), 6'2" and 280 lbs. I was never comfortable with my kydex holster (cheap concealment express). I up graded to a Milt Sparks Criterion for my G26. I have a Hanks leather Gunner belt and wear it at the 3:30/4:00 position. I forget it's there, even when driving. I added a leather shield to my kydex holster and pull the dots belt loops. Basically made it a hybrid. It was better, but I still wasn't happy. Now, I am happy.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain..."
Roy Batty
Old 09-22-2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jben View Post
Adjust your Vedder so the ride height is at the top and cant is fully forward. Wear the holster at 3.30 or 4 o'clock. I have a similar waist and for me at least, this works.
Thatís pretty much what I did. Comfortable with my Shield 9mm. Havenít tried it driving yet as I just got my CCW about 2 hours ago. Iíll probably go to Walmart or something later to try it out.
Old 09-24-2022, 5:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

im a bigger guy as well. I really tried to like the appendix position but after 6 or so different aiwb holsters i have up. I figured if im gonna print i might as well be comfortable. i switched to an iwb at the ~4 o’clock position and never looked back.
Old 09-26-2022, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post

I'm in the 38 waist range as well, although I'm 6'4. I carry my g19 at 4 o'clock mostly. Found my 43x and shield are hardly more comfortable for the size reduction. I've found the T-Rex arms sidecar 2.0 works well at 4 o'clock without the spare mag carrier, and is actually fine with my small gut at appendix while standing, and loosening the belt while driving. Crossbreed supertuck also works well for my 43x and shield at 4 o'clock
Old 09-26-2022, 5:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good advice here. Keep in mind, solutions always create new problems (hopefully more manageable ones). While you find a more comfortable solution- know part of the gun can be rubbing the heck out of the seat upholstery (as you bounce down California's manicured freeways), even tearing it with time.
Old 09-26-2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
I was thinking shoulder rig too.
I got my rig in the mail today and have been wearing it around for a couple hours. Full size M&P on one side, 2 mags on the other. It's definitely comfortable sitting or standing. I wish I was able to adjust the angle slightly to make draw easier while seated. I'll keep trying to adjust the straps but I think it's as good as it gets now.
Old 09-28-2022, 8:33 AM

Gun size matters. I am 6'4", 300lb and 40" waist with some belly.

My XD9SC works great at 4-430 in a Crossbreed IWB, but doesn't work at all appendix. Its too short for my gut to not push it forward and print. If I lower the holster so the muzzle helps keep the gun presenting flat then half the grip is below the belt.

My full size 1911 or P10F are too long to be able to sit without pushing off the belt or digging in really bad.

But, my P10C in a TRex Arms sidecar fits great. Sure I can feel it push a little when sitting but its not bad at all and standing has very little printing and when standing back up after sitting, I don't need to adjust unlike with the smaller XD9SC.
Old 09-28-2022, 1:31 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I've never met anyone without a relatively flat stomach who can comfortably appendix carry.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:31 AM

i picked up the fat guy holster and so far with the soft loops it sits low enough to be comfy with my 365 at the 1 or 2 o clock

https://jxtactical.com/fat-guy-holster/
8/3/22 - FBI - Completed
8/9/22 - CA - Completed
8/12/22 - Firearms - Completed
8/20/22 - CCW Training - Completed

10/13/22 - Interview Date