Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 09-24-2022, 4:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccom View Post
If you go to your user profile, in the URL at the end of it, it will say "u=274005". Thats your user id number. The number I posted was yours.

TKM is 3143. I am 196427.
Never noticed that before....

this is mine:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=159

EDIT 2020: To be fair that seems to apply to many Westerners also.
Old 09-25-2022, 2:17 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

Gotcha beat by a few minutes mblat
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=133

I think thats back when Ramon was running the show.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time
Old 09-25-2022, 6:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

92 here.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 09-25-2022, 12:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'thavenuthingood View Post
Gotcha beat by a few minutes mblat
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=133

I think thats back when Ramon was running the show.

Vick
Just out of curiosity, how did you guys hear about CG? and what led you guys to sign up?
Old 09-25-2022, 1:08 PM
Nope, nope, nopity nope.
CGN Contributor

Smile

I started with Glocktalk, The High Road and whatever else was going on at the time.

Calguns got my attention because of the unique garbage that was being dealt to us in California.

Then I became part of the California firearms owners resistance.
Old 09-25-2022, 2:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
I started with Glocktalk, The High Road and whatever else was going on at the time.

Calguns got my attention because of the unique garbage that was being dealt to us in California.

Then I became part of the California firearms owners resistance.
Interesting to know, thanks for the response!
Old 09-25-2022, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoColt21 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you guys hear about CG? and what led you guys to sign up?
Chatter from other frurms such as GlockTalk, The Firing Line, The High Road, Handguns & Ammo (P35 Browning), and Defensive Carry, and finally Calguns in 2009.

Calguns is/was more localized and dealt with issues that was more in my interest...staying out of the gray bar for lack of knowledge on CA/Fed. laws. (I feel at times, I'm just a half step ahead to those that would love to see us trip up).

When GlockTalk changed their format a few years back, they lost me.

Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 09-25-2022, 5:50 PM
Nope, nope, nopity nope.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1886 View Post
Chatter from other frurms such as GlockTalk, The Firing Line, The High Road, Handguns & Ammo (P35 Browning), and Defensive Carry, and finally Calguns in 2009.

Calguns is/was more localized and dealt with issues that was more in my interest...staying out of the gray bar for lack of knowledge on CA/Fed. laws. (I feel at times, I'm just a half step ahead to those that would love to see us trip up).

When GlockTalk changed their format a few years back, they lost me.

Kyle
Eric sold GlockTalk to the Canadians and started the Boresite in 2017.
Old 09-25-2022, 6:48 PM
Junior Contributor
CGN Contributor

Its cool learning some history of Calguns. I wish Calguns a great future.
Old 09-25-2022, 9:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017mini14 View Post
Its cool learning some history of Calguns. I wish Calguns a great future.
Same here man, so cool to see that many of the older heads here are still around, not like on some other forums where people just go and post for a bit and then not go on anymore in years.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:42 PM
Head Janitor

Yes, this year is the 20th year of CGN, it was started in 2002.

So, history. That's a long and loaded answer.

Calguns was started in 2002 by a man named Ramon, mainly because he got tired of asking questions on national forums and getting either razzed for living in CA or told 'Just move'.

In late 2002 I became Ramon's first Moderator followed shortly by Ivanimal and a few others.
Over the next few years CGN grew as a community and as a fledgling voice for 2A in CA. One of the most notable events that started us down that road was the false arrest of a forum member on gun charges. The community generated tens of thousands of dollars for his defense and eventually all charges were dropped except some ridiculous charge like 'possession of nunchucks' or something. This brought CGN to the attention of CA DoJ along with our efforts to basically do the job CA DoJ refuse to do, educate California gun owners on the convoluted laws.

At the beginning we were running on infopop UBB software. In 2005 we transitioned to vBulletin software. During the move almost everyone's join date was reset to 2005. Almost everyone.
For some reason there were a few who retained their original join date and no, we have no idea what kind of voodoo was involved.

2005 also saw the 'discovery' of 'Off List Lowers' ('OLLs'), lower receivers that were not banned by name.
Calguns became the hub of information about OLLs as well as the 'think tank' on developing the means of acquiring and building OLLs. This attracted a lot of attention from the then Bureau of Firearms, CA DoJ and our two favorite DoJ agents Iggy and Allison.

In late 2005 or early 2006 Ramon had an unfortunate family health emergency and stepped away for a bit. I took over as his acting Admin running the day to day stuff and consulting with him on any major issues. Just prior to this there was some issue with a transaction in the For Sale forums that I think led to a subpoena being issued Because of this Ramon shut down the For Sale section. At that time we were still growing and developing a higher profile with CA DoJ due to the OLL explosion. Unfortunately this created additional concern for Ramon, he felt this put his ability to deal with his family's medical issues at risk. In mid 2006 he decided the risk wasn't one he was willing to take, understandably so. Family always comes first. He announced that he would be shutting down CGN.

For almost that past year I had been running CGN and not wanting to lose what was becoming a valuable asset to California gun owners as well as a community of people I considered friends I offered to buy CGN and keep it open. Ramon took some time to consider it during which I was contacted by some people I knew in the NRA who felt CGN was too valuable to let die offering to help buy and run CGN. As much as I appreciated the offer and agreed with the intent if I took over I wanted CGN beholden to no group or organization. Ramon agreed to sell CGN to me for a token price to keep it running and growing so in 2006 I became the owner of Calguns.net.

I spoke with my Wife and told her I was going to keep encouraging the efforts for 2A and education as well as bring back the For Sale forums and explained that at that time I didn't know what if any repercussions would come of it. All we knew at the time was that there had been an issue with a subpoena and it had concerned Ramon enough to want to cut ties and close down. She agreed that the value of CGN and the fight for 2A was worth whatever risks were involved.

So we did exactly that. I reopened the Marketplace forums and forum members created the first ever CA Assault Weapons Flowchart to help people better understand the laws and stay out of trouble. We developed a volunteer community base that ran gun show booths and booths at events that promoted 2A rights, Calguns.net and offered flyers and information for California gun owners.

Over the course of the years I've handled numerous subpoenas, developed relationships with groups like the NRA and CRPA and seen the community grow from 20,000 members in 2006 to over 300,00 now. It says 353,000 but 41,844 of those are banned members, mostly spammers.

There's much more but this is a brief overview of the early years of CGN. It's late and I have a lot going on but I'll follow up with more later.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-26-2022, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post

Calguns was started in 2002 by a man named Ramon, mainly because he got tired of asking questions on national forums and getting either razzed for living in CA or told 'Just move'.

In late 2002 I became Ramon's first Moderator followed shortly by Ivanimal and a few others.
Over the next few years CGN grew as a community and as a fledgling voice for 2A in CA. One of the most notable events that started us down that road was the false arrest of a forum member on gun charges. The community generated tens of thousands of dollars for his defense and eventually all charges were dropped except some ridiculous charge like 'possession of nunchucks' or something. This brought CGN to the attention of CA DoJ along with our efforts to basically do the job CA DoJ refuse to do, educate California gun owners on the convoluted laws.

At the beginning we were running on infopop UBB software. In 2005 we transitioned to vBulletin software. During the move almost everyone's join date was reset to 2005. Almost everyone.
For some reason there were a few who retained their original join date and no, we have no idea what kind of voodoo was involved.

2005 also saw the 'discovery' of 'Off List Lowers' ('OLLs'), lower receivers that were not banned by name.
Calguns became the hub of information about OLLs as well as the 'think tank' on developing the means of acquiring and building OLLs. This attracted a lot of attention from the then Bureau of Firearms, CA DoJ and our two favorite DoJ agents Iggy and Allison.

In late 2005 or early 2006 Ramon had an unfortunate family health emergency and stepped away for a bit. I took over as his acting Admin running the day to day stuff and consulting with him on any major issues. Just prior to this there was some issue with a transaction in the For Sale forums that I think led to a subpoena being issued Because of this Ramon shut down the For Sale section. At that time we were still growing and developing a higher profile with CA DoJ due to the OLL explosion. Unfortunately this created additional concern for Ramon, he felt this put his ability to deal with his family's medical issues at risk. In mid 2006 he decided the risk wasn't one he was willing to take, understandably so. Family always comes first. He announced that he would be shutting down CGN.

For almost that past year I had been running CGN and not wanting to lose what was becoming a valuable asset to California gun owners as well as a community of people I considered friends I offered to buy CGN and keep it open. Ramon took some time to consider it during which I was contacted by some people I knew in the NRA who felt CGN was too valuable to let die offering to help buy and run CGN. As much as I appreciated the offer and agreed with the intent if I took over I wanted CGN beholden to no group or organization. Ramon agreed to sell CGN to me for a token price to keep it running and growing so in 2006 I became the owner of Calguns.net.

I spoke with my Wife and told her I was going to keep encouraging the efforts for 2A and education as well as bring back the For Sale forums and explained that at that time I didn't know what if any repercussions would come of it. All we knew at the time was that there had been an issue with a subpoena and it had concerned Ramon enough to want to cut ties and close down. She agreed that the value of CGN and the fight for 2A was worth whatever risks were involved.

So we did exactly that. I reopened the Marketplace forums and forum members created the first ever CA Assault Weapons Flowchart to help people better understand the laws and stay out of trouble. We developed a volunteer community base that ran gun show booths and booths at events that promoted 2A rights, Calguns.net and offered flyers and information for California gun owners.

Over the course of the years I've handled numerous subpoenas, developed relationships with groups like the NRA and CRPA and seen the community grow from 20,000 members in 2006 to over 300,00 now. It says 353,000 but 41,844 of those are banned members, mostly spammers.

There's much more but this is a brief overview of the early years of CGN. It's late and I have a lot going on but I'll follow up with more later.

What a great story and Super 20-year history! For starters Kestryll what a great supportive wife you have, I'm sure when you became the CEO came with the unknown(s)

I think we should have this thread become a sticky!

I became a member. I was googling or yahoo what search engine at that time in 2008. Anyway, a Calguns thread "link" came up, I clicked on it, and it had many responses for my question. I joined that day.

I love this place; I've learned so much and in one click. I can read about what's going on in California laws, advice and just a place to relax.

Keep up the GREAT job on keeping us all together, it could have ended badly for us.
Old 09-26-2022, 9:58 AM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I had no idea there were so many members here. It blows me away that I’m close to # 100,000.
Old 09-26-2022, 1:20 PM
Junior Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Calguns was started in 2002 by a man named Ramon, mainly because he got tired of asking questions on national forums and getting either razzed for living in CA or told 'Just move'.i
Thanks for this. Hope to hear more about this, definitely appreciated. Calguns is fortunate you where able to take over. Do you still keep in contact with Ramon?
Old 09-26-2022, 4:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Awesome history there Kes, thank you for sharing as I had always had the curiosity to know the past history of CG .
Old 09-26-2022, 6:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
I had no idea there were so many members here. It blows me away that Iím close to # 100,000.
Right now, Members: 353,483, Active Members: 25,328.

"Members" = total over the years.

"Active Members" = total who've posted on Calguns within the last 30 days.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 09-27-2022, 4:57 PM
Junior Contributor
CGN Contributor

What was going on in the year 2013 since it was the most ever users online?
Old 09-28-2022, 3:05 PM
Veteran Member

2017mini14.....my guess was Sandy Hook. Depending on when in 2013 you are seeing the influx of users online.
Old 09-28-2022, 4:45 PM
Junior Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtwin View Post
2017mini14.....my guess was Sandy Hook. Depending on when in 2013 you are seeing the influx of users online.

At the bottom of the home page above all the members logged in shows most user ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2022, 9:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoColt21 View Post
Awesome history there Kes, thank you for sharing as I had always had the curiosity to know the past history of CG .
However, I'm disappointed that he left out commentary on the historically significant buttstuff.

----
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?