Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-14-2019, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Default lowly M 48

Have not bought a C&R in a while, Sold all my Mauser ammo when i sold my Kar 98 danzig about four years ago.I miss finding a Mosin at big 5 and doing a complete deep cleaning and inspection on it.
Found a M48 bo for 275 in the market place and figured why not. no beauty for sure.Wish i picked up a few at big 5 in unused condition not to long ago.

I am going to enjoy tinkering with it , This is not my first M48.I am over worrying about collector value .
Old 09-14-2019, 8:06 AM

Cool! I think about picking up an M48 every now and then. I’ve got VZ24s and a Turk. All straight bolt.
Old 09-14-2019, 8:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTABIKER View Post
Have not bought a C&R in a while, Sold all my Mauser ammo when i sold my Kar 98 danzig about four years ago.I miss finding a Mosin at big 5 and doing a complete deep cleaning and inspection on it.
Found a M48 bo for 275 in the market place and figured why not. no beauty for sure.Wish i picked up a few at big 5 in unused condition not to long ago.

I am going to enjoy tinkering with it , This is not my first M48.I am over worrying about collector value .
Yep, Big 5 had some incredible deals on milsurps, back in the day.
Old 09-14-2019, 9:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Big 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Yep, those where the days. I was lucky enough to buy my M48 in the box with all of the accessories.

Carried it home the same day. Good memories of California before the Libtards turned everything into SH*T!

Attachment 834826

I'll always keep this one, here with my 1917 Mauser GEW 98.

Last edited by Spartan301; 03-11-2021 at 6:45 AM..
Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Yugo Mausers are awesome. Built like tanks, great shooters, often found in pristine condition, and undervalued given the build quality and utility they possess.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:26 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
One of my best acquisitions was found at a Big 5. An absolutely perfect Yugo 59/66 with a muzzle brake on it to replace the evil GL. It was about $300 and I nearly dislocated my shoulder while fumbling for my wallet.

They actually had two of them, but in a rare instance of fiscal responsibility, I only bought one. IIRC another CG`er got the other one after I posted the find.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

So far I have accumulated quite the collection without obtaining anything chambered in 8mm mauser (with the exception of my first C&R, a Turk that I foolishly gave to my no-count cousin).
Old 09-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

I got my first two milsurps from Big5...both K31's and I believe they were the last K31's that Big5 had. Got them for a great price too.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:30 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I got my first two milsurps from Big5...both K31's and I believe they were the last K31's that Big5 had. Got them for a great price too.
I never saw a K31 at Big 5, but I am glad I got into Swiss rifles when AIM still had them in the $300 range. They seem to be fetching quite a bit more these days.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:35 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
So far I have accumulated quite the collection without obtaining anything chambered in 8mm mauser (with the exception of my first C&R, a Turk that I foolishly gave to my no-count cousin).
Man, I wish all of my bolt action rifles were in 8mm Mauser. Since I do not reload, the vast amount of surplus ammo I have hoarded makes them very cheap to shoot. It may have dried up some, but I still see old Turk and Yugo ammo going quite cheap.
Old 09-14-2019, 1:47 PM

I bought an M24/52 last year for about the same price, still caked in cosmoline. Every time I open the safe, it seems to be asking me to take it apart and scrub it clean. The procrastinator in me always ends up finding other projects to do instead.
Old 09-14-2019, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I never saw a K31 at Big 5, but I am glad I got into Swiss rifles when AIM still had them in the $300 range. They seem to be fetching quite a bit more these days.
I'm pretty certain that I got some of the last ones available from Big5 in late 2006.

I went to the store on Arden Way in Sacramento and inquired after them. The firearms manager spent a good deal of time looking and found one at the Placerville store. He agreed to have it transfered to his store for me. He also told me that he could not find a price for them in the system, but remembered the last sales price and we agreed on that.

A few weeks later I was in Yuba City and stopped in at the Big5. Just out of curiosity, I inquired about K31's. The firearms manager told me that she did not believe they had any. Just as she said it, a kid who worked there walked up and said that he had seen one in the back yesterday. He mentioned that it was in pretty good shape. I asked to look at it and the kid was right...it wasn't half bad. Since I hadn't heard back from the Arden Way store figured I'd better hedge my bet and take the one in Yuba City.

You guessed it...about a week later I got a call from the Arden Way store--my K31 had come in. Thought about it for a minute and decided to take that one also.
Old 09-14-2019, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingsun212 View Post
I bought an M24/52 last year for about the same price, still caked in cosmoline. Every time I open the safe, it seems to be asking me to take it apart and scrub it clean. The procrastinator in me always ends up finding other projects to do instead.
Let me show you about M24/52C's and cosmo...

And when I say covered in cosmoline...

But...bore is fantastic...
Old 09-14-2019, 2:10 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

whether Mauers or Swiss rifles, they seem to multiply. 2 K31's, a 1911, and a K11. Whenever GP11 hits the market at a reasonable price I buy as much as I can afford.

Swiss rifles and good ammo make even a hack like me look like I know how to shoot.
Old 09-14-2019, 2:28 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:

Had a Yugo SKS that looked like that. But Century neutered it By removing the Grenade Launcher, something I just couldn’t
Live with.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 09-14-2019, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

:Like I always say...Cosmoline is our friend!
Old 09-14-2019, 4:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I remember when i first got into C&Rs around ten years ago. Sometimes information is a negative thing if you let it bother you. I wanted a Mauser so i found a M 48. I liked it until i kept hearing it was poorly mader, intermediate action, no collector value etc.
sold it and bought something else. i have learned a lot about Quality and value in ten years. I would just as soon own a M 48 as a Beater mix match RC K 98 for shooting on a sunday with my friends.Picking it up Tuesday and plan on taking it apart and see what i got. Guess i will pick up some ppu 8 mm and take it out and shoot it. If it cycles smoothly and can hit my AR 500 plate at 100 yards it will be loved.

Last edited by NOTABIKER; 09-14-2019 at 5:00 PM..
Old 09-14-2019, 5:02 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I bought my 24/52 from a member of another board. He was kind enough to de-cosmo it for me. It has an exceptionally smooth bolt throw and trigger. Like the others here it has a perfect bore. I have shot it quite a bit and never had any issues.
Old 09-14-2019, 5:04 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Since it is sort of a Yugo / Czech mashup, I put a VZ-24 front sight protector on it. Incorrect, but much less of a PITA than standard Mauser front sight hoods which can be infuriatingly difficult to put on.
Old 09-14-2019, 8:09 PM

Looks familiar. I have so much cosmoline in mine the firing pin doesn't spring forward when I pull the trigger. Before I bought mine, I was debating between the different Yugo Mausers. The smooth action of the 24/52 had me sold.

Quote:

Old 09-15-2019, 7:23 AM

The only good Yugo Mauser!

All jokes aside, Yugo Mausers and surplus firearms are a great way to get into milsurp collecting, especially with Czech and German rifles prices rising. Also, these rifles tend to be in much better condition than Turkish ones at a comparable price.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:16 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

The Imperial M24 is a good one. Not common, but even harder to find in good condition and all matching.
Old 09-16-2019, 6:58 AM
Veteran Member

Yugo rifles are also a way to get a German K98 for a lot less than even a Russian rework. Most of them are completely scrubbed of German markings, but they are still German rifles. I picked one up when JG Sales had them for $279 a few years ago.

Only had one Waffenamt left, a WaA63 on the extractor collar. Depending on the year, it could either be Mauserwerk Oberndorf, or Waffenwerke Brünn.

I moved the Yugo stock over to another rifle, added a Norwegian stock and post war Henzolt scope made it into a HT Sniper clone.

The barrel was replaced by Yugoslavia, and they seem to have known what they were doing. This was yesterday, I was sighting in a different rifle at 100 yards, and just wanted to put a few rounds through the Yugo to chrono some handloads I worked up, actually thinking of hunting with it.

That is ~1.1" center to center, but only 4 rounds. The 5 round group I shot when I worked up the load was 1.5". Pretty good for a full stocked military Mauser.
Old 09-16-2019, 7:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post

That is a nice looking sniper clone. Are those Accumount high turrets?
Old 09-16-2019, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is a nice looking sniper clone. Are those Accumount high turrets?
Yeah, they are the split ring HTs from Accumounts. Not technically correct, the original mounts had a solid rings, and you had to disassemble the scope to mount it. I didn't want to mess with doing that, and like that I can use a standard 1" scope (with spacers) if I need to.

I also like that since it is "wrong" it can never be mistaken for being anything but what it is, a repro.
Old 09-16-2019, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

I've got two Yugo K98's and have been thinking of doing exactly what you did to one of them. I've got a couple of other projects going on right now, though.

Did you do the scope mounts yourself?
Old 09-16-2019, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah, they are the split ring HTs from Accumounts. Not technically correct, the original mounts had a solid rings, and you had to disassemble the scope to mount it. I didn't want to mess with doing that, and like that I can use a standard 1" scope (with spacers) if I need to.

I also like that since it is "wrong" it can never be mistaken for being anything but what it is, a repro.
I think the originals also soft soldered the scopes to the rings
Old 09-16-2019, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I've got two Yugo K98's and have been thinking of doing exactly what you did to one of them. I've got a couple of other projects going on right now, though.

Did you do the scope mounts yourself?
I did not. I figured it would be best to have someone who knows what they are doing install it, so I shipped it to Vaughn from Gunboards & the K98 Forum. I think I paid $250 for him to do the work (fit and install, pus boresighting), plus shipping.

There is actually a thread on K98 forum of a guy installing the same mounts.
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....d-build-thread

Quote:
I think the originals also soft soldered the scopes to the rings
Correct. I want no part of that.

Also, be wary of the Reproduction ZF39 scopes, I bought and returned two of them because they were garbage. Pretty, with decent glass, but the adjustments were ridiculously sloppy. If you want a shooter, look elsewhere, your best bet is probably a post war scope.

If you really want to see how crazy you can get with K98 Snipers, search for posts from user Raupleminze. He has made replicas of pretty much every known variation, including field armorer conversion using Sovier PU and PEM side mounts. He posted this in one of his threads: https://imgur.com/a/VLrpt
Old 09-18-2019, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Default picked up my M 48

Last owner only superficially cleaned it , chamber and bolt clean. Took it totally apart and their is MUCH cosmo everywair. I am so glad i get to do a major cleaning of the metal and wood. Reminds me of all of those Mosins i bought.
The metal is beautiful. The stock shows handling scuff marks. The wood is nice and dark. No splintering like the last M 48 i had. Late production ,no crest
M 48 bo.
Going to use the last of my mineral spirits stash.
Not any blueing on receiver ,just shinny metal. No rust or pitting. Pretty sure this M 48 was made and put away.
VERY HAPPY thank you calguner paid 275
Old 09-18-2019, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I did not. I figured it would be best to have someone who knows what they are doing install it, so I shipped it to Vaughn from Gunboards & the K98 Forum. I think I paid $250 for him to do the work (fit and install, pus boresighting), plus shipping.

There is actually a thread on K98 forum of a guy installing the same mounts.
http://www.k98kforum.com/showthread....d-build-thread

Correct. I want no part of that.

Also, be wary of the Reproduction ZF39 scopes, I bought and returned two of them because they were garbage. Pretty, with decent glass, but the adjustments were ridiculously sloppy. If you want a shooter, look elsewhere, your best bet is probably a post war scope.

If you really want to see how crazy you can get with K98 Snipers, search for posts from user Raupleminze. He has made replicas of pretty much every known variation, including field armorer conversion using Sovier PU and PEM side mounts. He posted this in one of his threads: https://imgur.com/a/VLrpt
Thanks for the tips, Emcon.

I like the K4-1's. They are relatively inexpensive, have decent optics, and have the sharp creases for the scope bells, which look similar to the original scopes

Here's a picture of my faux Swedish M41B with a K4-1 scope

Last edited by Mustang; 09-18-2019 at 8:06 PM..
Old 09-18-2019, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, Emcon.

I like the K4-1's. They are relatively inexpensive, have decent optics, and have the sharp creases for the scope bells, which look similar to the original scopes

Here's a picture of my faux Swedish M41B with a K4-1 scope
K4s are great, I have a couple of them. They also can be had with a German post reticle. Not common, but they are out there.
Old 09-21-2019, 5:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Stock and receiver match, floor plate and bolt match nothing. Metal in excellent condition . Bore not shiny. Even Though this is a M 48 bo i am certain this rifle was shipped and used by some military before being sold as surplus.
i am very pleased about how it cleaned up so nicely. Going to by some surplus Ethiopian 8 mm today. Six bucks for a 15 round pack. Yes it is corrosive and i will pick up some PPU when it is in stock at turners or ammo bros.
Old 09-21-2019, 6:16 AM

I’m actually surprised that big 5 still doesn’t sell mil surp guns I mean there is still mosins by the crates out there along with Chinese sks rifles it’s a shame that now when you walk in all they have is a bunch of 22s a few shot guns and a few hunting rifles and a few semi autos usually mini 14s I also have a yugo that was re crested but has waffenampts all over it