Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 02-22-2019, 8:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Flat ethernet cables

SO also want me to move stuff around and it looks to be I need to move the router, switch, fax, phone etc. As much as I hate to have to run wires across a hallway entrance, she already bought one of those wire strip covers (not exactly like below, but the idea of it)

I created my own patch cables before when I had the place wired. and would now need to make new ones.

Question: Should I just invest in CAT 7 now? I"m coming from CAT 5e. Any disadvantages of just using flat ethernet cables vs. the traditional rounded types? I'm not running it thru walls or anything so the sturdiness of round cables won't apply. I'm not relocating the ports on the wall hence new longer patch cables.

Old 02-22-2019, 8:26 PM

Cat6e... depends how many you run for flat vs round. 5+ flat.
Old 02-22-2019, 8:28 PM

Powerline Ethernet is up to 2Gbps now. I have now idea if it works reliably, but I would be interested to know if you feel inclined to try. Screw running cables around the house.
Old 02-22-2019, 8:29 PM

I have had good luck with powerline...
Old 02-22-2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_revs View Post
Question: Should I just invest in CAT 7 now?
Run cat 6A as it's rated for 10G and doubles the maximum segment length of cat 6, 100 meters which is about 330 feet. You don't want to run cat 7 as it's shielded cable and uses connectors which are not backwards compatible with cat 5 and 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Cat6e... depends how many you run for flat vs round. 5+ flat.
No such thing as cat 6e cable. I know some manufacturers incorrectly label their cable cat 6e but it doesn't offer any advantages over standard cat 6 cable and it's not a recognized TIA standard. It's just a false marketing gimmick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron2k84 View Post
Powerline Ethernet is up to 2Gbps now. I have now idea if it works reliably, but I would be interested to know if you feel inclined to try. Screw running cables around the house.
Except that running ethernet cables is a million times better for many reasons than using powerline adapters. They are expensive, and you can get a whole box of cable for less than a couple of those adapters cost. Those adapters rely on the existing electrical wires, so if the house is older the wires may be suspect. Ethernet technology is very susceptible to electrical interference, so running signals alongside electrical wires is counter intuitive. Also no matter what speed they claim they can deliver, in most cases they don't perform nearly as well as they claim, usually not even half the speed. With gigabit ethernet cables you'll get a consistent 900-1000 Mbps all the time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by MrFancyPants; 02-22-2019 at 9:16 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 9:04 PM

Thank you for the lesson. Flat or round?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post

Except that running ethernet cables is a million times better for many reasons than using powerline adapters. They are expensive, and you can get a whole box of cable for less than a couple of those adapters cost. Those adapters rely on the existing electrical wires, so if the house is older the wires may be suspect. Ethernet technology is very susceptible to electrical interference, so running signals alongside electrical wires is counter intuitive. Also no matter what speed they claim they can deliver, in most cases they don't perform nearly as well as they claim, usually not even half the speed. With gigabit ethernet cables you'll get a consistent 900-1000 Mbps all the time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
But, of course. However, sometimes ease of installation trumps performance and if it's good enough for things like printers and auxiliary equipment, why quibble?

Not terribly hard to unplug and reroute with minimal effort.
Old 02-23-2019, 4:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...I"m coming from CAT 5e. Any disadvantages of just using flat ethernet cables vs. the traditional rounded types? I'm not running it thru walls or anything so the sturdiness of round cables won't apply. I'm not relocating the ports on the wall hence new longer patch cables...
https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/...et_cable_cat6/

We run a rock solid $27 Belkin F5D4076 Powerline adapter, connected about 25 feet away.
These were the cheapest ones I could find, and they are now selling on Amazon for $75.
They weren't very good with their OG firmware, and we had to unplug them for a power cycle here and there, but after updating firmware they are awesome, per my son.

If you are going to use Powerline adapters, make sure to update the firmware first,
and make sure you encrypt/secure, as many Powerline adapters actually run proprietary wireless to bridge Ethernet.
1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfUEEhmHYY
( 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Ge61BXsaQ
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAxvJILDIE)

Connected to neighbor's house, producer states over the copper, but I think this is really connected wireless...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZMPZPi9z0o

(What would be interesting to do is grab some of the cheapest working used Powerline adapters from eBay, and see if you can "connect to another Powerline w/in range...")

Last edited by the86d; 02-23-2019 at 5:40 AM..
Old 02-23-2019, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks all. Not sure I want to go powerline because I already have 3 satellites running at home, and I don't mind making new patch cables. Just needed to know if it's a disadvantage using flat cables or round if they're just going maybe 10 ft away.

I did read some issues about rj45 jack issues with cat7. so i guess cat6.
Old 02-23-2019, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

The flat don't meet signal integrity requirements for ethernet so they only work for very short runs - i.e. patch cables.

The current sweet spot for price will be CAT-6, and that will work well for anything you do at home.
Old 02-24-2019, 5:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks all. Not sure I want to go powerline because I already have 3 satellites running at home, and I don't mind making new patch cables. Just needed to know if it's a disadvantage using flat cables or round if they're just going maybe 10 ft away.

I did read some issues about rj45 jack issues with cat7. so i guess cat6.
https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/...et_cable_cat6/
I have only run like 6-10' flat cables temporarily, however they seemed to work okay. I have actually made patch cables from solid twisted pair that was "twisted the wrong way", and it worked okay in the short runs I was doing...

The major drawback is running flat along with power, or over distance as there is no twist to cancel noise.

I don't think you will have issues with such a short run of 10'-20' MAX, even with Gigabit Ethernet.
(Although I have never run Gigabit on flat cables... myself, only on 10/100BASE-T[X].)

(If there are issues with noise/crosstalk, the packets should RETRANS, so you would just have more re-transmitted packets creating latency, I'd gander, in theory, if CRC/ACK fails?)

Last edited by the86d; 02-24-2019 at 5:17 AM..
Old 02-24-2019, 7:08 AM
Calguns Addict

thanks the86d. i may have mistaken the cat7 flat cables as having a "wrapper" to protect from noise due to it being flat. i'll have to read up more on cat6 flat cables. not sure what is the cost different. i have no issues making round patch cables; was just going to try flat if possible.