Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-22-2019, 8:43 PM

Default Bipod is a QD to a picantinny rail but doesn't move much and not level...

After mounting my new scope and using a level to get the rifle set then the scope I realized the bipod will always keep the rifle slightly low on the left. I just loosened the bipod where the quick detach mounts to the bipod and it lets it swivel just enough. Has anyone else done that to make it have some play? I'm thinking I'll hit the hardware store and put a soft rubber washer between the quick detach and the bipod.
Old 02-22-2019, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Huh?

Never had an issue, then again I use - https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_ne...las-bipod.html
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Full size. Stubbies are for sissies.
Old 02-22-2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikvette View Post
Huh?

Never had an issue, then again I use - https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_ne...las-bipod.html
Does "huh?" mean you're not sure about what swiveling is? I mean when I need to tilt the rifle to the left or right it doesn't. When I read the description of yours it says "preload on pan" so I'm thinking yours has exactly what I'm talking about. I'm thinking when you pan the rifle around there is resistance when titling one direction or the other but it lets you tilt it. But it could mean something totally different. Does yours allow you to tilt it slightly?

I googled and see lots of people asking swivel vs solid. Solid is great if it's perfectly level but maybe it's close enough and I'm just being picky because I want the scope to easily orient vs fighting the bipod to make it oriented correctly.

Last edited by Geofois; 02-22-2019 at 8:57 PM..
Old 02-22-2019, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

So you want a bipod without the ability to tilt in order to have a rifle that sits level, right?

Unless you shoot in a static position, and always have a level spot to shoot from, the ability to tilt/pan is great.

Not everyone shoots the same either, and some will even cant their rifle when they're behind it.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Quote:
Old 02-22-2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
So you want a bipod without the ability to tilt in order to have a rifle that sits level, right?

Unless you shoot in a static position, and always have a level spot to shoot from, the ability to tilt/pan is great.

Not everyone shoots the same either, and some will even cant their rifle when they're behind it.
Currently have have a non swivel bipod. I was asking if loosening it up will be fine for it to swivel. I think I'll just get a soft rubber washer so it can have just a little play since for sure I'll need to tilt it slightly since the bipod isn't perfectly level. It sounds like yours lets you pan so I'll leave mine a little loose. For all I know it's supposed to be like that but when I bought the rifle it was tightened as tight as it can get.
Old 02-23-2019, 6:10 AM

Which bipod do have? That would help as the designs can vary dramatically.
Old 02-23-2019, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofois View Post
Does "huh?" mean you're not sure about what swiveling is?
My reaction was also "Huh?". I could not figure out what kind of bipod would create a natural tilt to the rifle. Other than a poorly made one I mean. Or the rail is off-center.

A good solution would be to spend $100 on a Harris that swivels. Unfortunately, Harris bipods don't clamp directly to a 1913 rail, so a sling-swivel type attachment would be needed. Here is an example of a good adaptor:

https://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Defens.../dp/B01CERU2GS

Kinda pricey I know. Probably lots of cheaper ones available, but these DDs are very nicely made.
Old 02-23-2019, 7:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Op, the “huh” is universal.

What bipod? A prefer harris swivels, and am almost always using the swivel function unless i am on a concrete bench.

If you post more info about the bipod, the mechanism of attachment, etc, you will get help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 02-23-2019, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki6vsm View Post
My reaction was also "Huh?". I could not figure out what kind of bipod would create a natural tilt to the rifle. Other than a poorly made one I mean. Or the rail is off-center.

A good solution would be to spend $100 on a Harris that swivels. Unfortunately, Harris bipods don't clamp directly to a 1913 rail, so a sling-swivel type attachment would be needed. Here is an example of a good adaptor:

https://www.amazon.com/Daniel-Defens.../dp/B01CERU2GS

Kinda pricey I know. Probably lots of cheaper ones available, but these DDs are very nicely made.
That's my question also. I was wondering if it's ok to create some play/titl by loosening the where the bipod connects to the quick detach a little. One person posted the link to the specs of their bipod which seemed like it allowed it to pan. I'm sure bipods are not going to be perfect so we can't rely on them when shooting past 500 yards to just sit perfectly enough so it would be good to be able to tilt it slightly left or right. When I googled some people like them to swivel which makes sense for long range shooting but some wanted rigid.

I have a UTG BP-980. I googled for it and didn't see anything come up. I'm sure it's meant to be rigid.
Old 02-23-2019, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Currently have have a non swivel bipod. I was asking if loosening it up will be fine for it to swivel. I think I'll just get a soft rubber washer so it can have just a little play since for sure I'll need to tilt it slightly sincethe bipod isn't perfectly level. It sounds like yours lets you pan so I'll leave mine a little loose. For all I know it's supposed to be like that but when I bought the rifle it was tightened as tight as it can get.
You should look into buying a different, better bipod.

I know that some UTG bipods allow some panning (aka "traversing" similar to a tank's turret). And they have a little rubber o-ring between the mount and the legs to permit some give. You can tilt those a little, just form the mushiness of the o-ring, but it isn't part of the design. And I don't think that panning is actually a very useful feature on a sporting rifle anyway. It's more of a light-machinegun kinda feature, where you may need to spray bullets in an arc, to cover various 'targets' that pop up and move quickly. In our world it's easier to lift up and move the barrel than to shift our whole rifle and ourselves around, pivoting on the bipod.

Sounds like this is just some bipod that came with the rifle when you bought it, correct? If so, I'd ditch it.
Old 02-23-2019, 9:37 AM
Veteran Member

"Loosening" your bipod's mount to your rifle should not be a way to adjust things to your liking.

Buy a quality bipod.
Quote:
Old 02-23-2019, 9:42 AM

Kwikvette's specs are below. It's the "cant" that I think I was meaning when talking about tilt. Not sure if one would consider it a swivel bipod but I don't think so. Since it mentions preload it sounds like it offers resistance so it will naturally return somewhat upright. But I'm just guessing that's what preload means. I'm used to using that word for my motorcycle springs. Since I'm just wondering about needing 2 degrees of "cant" of really anything then I doubt I'll need another one. I've already been hitting 600 yards with it but just happen to notice when it sits it's off slightly but I'm sure kwikvette's for $220 also does that since it does have pan and cant built in. It didn't come with the rifle when the seller bought it, he added it, but yeah it's not an expensive bipod maybe $50 maybe a little more. I only noticed since I was clocking my scope otherwise I wouldn't even be asking. Sounds like that is a no for you as far as just loosening the bolt at the bottom to give it a slight ability to cant.

Here is the opposite end of the question. "Should tightening it has hard as it can go to make it not to my liking be ok?". It's built really rugged and the legs lock out great so it handles both my ar15 and ar10 just fine. I'll be fine to keep hitting the metal at 600 yards since that's as far as the range near me goes so it's not a big deal. Thanks for everyone's help

Height Range: 4.75 – 9.0" approximately
Preloaded Pan: 15 degrees +/-
Preloaded Cant: 15 degrees +/-
5 leg positions: 0, 45, 90, 135 and 180 degrees
Weight: 11.0 ounces
Footprint: 8 – 11"

Last edited by Geofois; 02-23-2019 at 9:48 AM..
Old 02-23-2019, 10:08 AM

OP, buy this and be done with it.

https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_ne...0-s-lever.html

FYI, the proper term is "cant", not "tilt".

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 02-23-2019, 10:13 AM

This is funny. This guy posted a review of his utg bipod but it's an older model. He is asking the exact opposite question. Out of the box his allows him to pan left or right a few degrees which would seem great while still holding a pretty tight plane. I could tell his also gave a couple degrees of play which is probably normal to absorb recoil but he was saying he's going to crank the bolt as tight as it can go so it won't move at all and add loctite. When I just slightly untightened mine it allowed panning and has stopping points as if it's supposed to pan 15 degrees in either direction. Not the end of the world so I'm fine with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYzAdRNyf7I

If you read the comments everyone is laughing at the guy telling him it's supposed to be able to pan so that answers my question. There does not appear to be any walking out of the bolt and it only pans an exact amount before it stops in either directly so problem solved. You can skip to 3:40 in the video if you care to see this guy's issue with not liking panning.

Last edited by Geofois; 02-23-2019 at 10:32 AM..
Old 02-23-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
OP, buy this and be done with it.

https://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_ne...0-s-lever.html

FYI, the proper term is "cant", not "tilt".
Thanks man, I've been done with it but I do appreciate everyone's feedback. It's all good. I'll maybe update after I take it to the range.

Here is a review of a BT-10 vs Chinese knockoff. They guy likes his BT but says the chinese one is totally functional. I'm kinda with the guys making the comments but if I was in competition like the guying doing the review of course I would spend the big bucks. Why compete if you don't go the extra mile but if you plink at the range then save the cash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4mR-EMrjyw&t=98s

Last edited by Geofois; 02-23-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Old 02-23-2019, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks man, I've been done with it but I do appreciate everyone's feedback. It's all good. I'll maybe update after I take it to the range.

Here is a review of a BT-10 vs Chinese knockoff. They guy likes his BT but says the chinese one is totally functional. I'm kinda with the guys making the comments but if I was in competition like the guying doing the review of course I would spend the big bucks. Why compete if you don't go the extra mile but if you plink at the range then save the cash.

I'm all for saving cash (trust me, I reload), but why consider the knock off at all?

It's your money, and I won't flame you for spending it the way you wish, but when you buy quality you only have to buy it once (unless you want more).

Same thing goes with scope rings, and scopes, and ammunition, and so forth.
Quote:
Old 02-23-2019, 1:26 PM

Quote:
I'm all for saving cash (trust me, I reload), but why consider the knock off at all?

It's your money, and I won't flame you for spending it the way you wish, but when you buy quality you only have to buy it once (unless you want more).

Same thing goes with scope rings, and scopes, and ammunition, and so forth.
To answer the questions as to why consider I would say watch the video. The guy does a pretty good job of it along with all the people commenting. From what I could tell in the video and many reviews I've read it 100% does the job and is built fine to last so for quality it seems 100% fine. If you're interested in the feeling and finish and a couple hundred is worth it for one then by all means. Remember, it's a bipod and will it do all the things the bipod is supposed to do. That is a totally different thing than a scope. 100% I agree with you on scopes and ammo. Every tiny bit of difference in how clear the glass is etc will make a difference. Ammo, you and me reload so we don't need to discuss the almost infinite variables with powder, brass, primers, bullet, and how to get the brass back in spec etc. We can discuss that all day. Will the bipod hold the rifle steady and allow you to point and shoot. We don't even need bipods. We and lay it on a bag. We can't say the same for ammo or scopes. Those have to be perfectly repeatable. I talk to much sorry =/. I'm fine to spend $35 once vs $220 then use the $185 on whatever else I'll buy but you're right I could buy one for every rifle I own but it's quick detach so one is fine. If it helps get tighter groups then I'm with you but so far I haven't seen anything that says bipods good or bad do that. I think if we really want to shoot long range then we need to ditch the bipods for bags and we'll have a better range of motion but I'll have to read more on that.

Last edited by Geofois; 02-23-2019 at 1:38 PM..
Old 02-23-2019, 1:39 PM

OP, you're probably right on the preload definition. And have fun shooting! Sounds like you've come to a decision there.

Regarding what you said about cant and long range, and some people like rigid instead. Not sure if you're aware, but Harris and similar bipods that cant, they can be run kinda loose if you want OR can locked rigid at any angle with the turn of a lever/knob. Best of both worlds. That's a very nice feature to have.

Terminology can be subjective. I believe Harris refers to their 'tilt' feature as "swivel". But "cant" is more accurate. And "pan" would be the same as "traverse" I suppose. FWIW, if we were talking airplanes, cant would be "roll" and pan would be "yaw". Words are fun.
Old 02-23-2019, 4:36 PM

No, don't leave the mount loose everything needs to be tight and as Richie as possible. You don't want to have to force the gun to can't back over to 90 degrees either. Maybe you can adjusted the feet to square it up to 90.

Cheap flexing bipods are not repeatable. If you are shooting off a bench at 100 yards it may not matter a whole lot, but your consistency will be better with a better bipod even at 100 yards if your technique is solid. A good bipod and technique will keep the gun recoiling in the same way each shot.

Consistency is best when everything is square to the target. When you pan the gun, the gun, bipod, target and body are not all square and the preload on the bipod is not equal. The recoil makes the gun more likely to hop and twist and the group's will open up.

If you're shooting off a bench at 100 yards, ditch the bipod for a rest and bags. The same technique needs to be used off bags,but it's easier to master.
Old 02-23-2019, 5:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Several questions.

What are your shooting goals? Groups on a single target or one shot on multiple targets?

Static or moving targets? Both

Are you shooting of a bench or prone?

How you do most of your shooting will determine what you need out of your bipod. The purpose of a bipod is to allow you to hold a relatively static position with your rifle so you can put a good aim on your target and hit it. If your rifle (and thus your sight through the scope) is constantly in motion, you're going to have a hard time developing consistency.

Also, you need to differentiate between cant and pan. Panning may be useful (though not entirely necessary) for shooting at moving targets and for tracking and finding targets. Cant maybe necessary so that your optic is level to the horizon so you can have a dependable elevation adjustment.

These kind of adjustments are often what separates more expensive bipods from less expensive ones. The ability to adjust on the fly and then lockout any motion or slop so that you can hold a steady and consistent aim is what your likely going to want from your bipod. Leaving your mount loose is not a feature. That's an imperfect way to try to accomplish something your bipod isn't capable of doing and will hurt your marksmanship in the end.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

Discounted NRA Membership Sign Up
Old 02-23-2019, 7:18 PM

OP, do yourself a favor and use a coupon and get a Magpul bipod for around $90-$100. You'll thank me later. They're not as nice as an Atlas or KAC, but they work a LOT better than knockoff airsoft bipods. I compared the KAC on one of my Mega Matens to a guy's knockoff at the range. It made me glad I spent ten times what he did. For ~$40 more the guy could have at least had a Magpul that was more solid. I don't understand this.
Old 02-27-2019, 1:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Bipod is a QD to a picantinny rail but doesn't move much and not level...

I really like my Magpul bipod, both m-lok and pic rail versions. Wish they had QD mounts sure, and wish they had 45deg leg positions, but they really work well for an AR.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old 02-28-2019, 7:04 AM

Quote:
When I read the description of yours it says "preload on pan" so I'm thinking yours has exactly what I'm talking about.
Panning is moving point of aim left or right. You want the ability to cant.

Look at other bipods. Some have an adjustment to allow cant with variable resistance.
Old 02-28-2019, 9:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Someone gave me one those knock offs to try. They’re terrible. Anytime you properly load them, they can twist making follow up shots difficult. I’d steer clear.