Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-11-2019, 4:58 PM

Default hornady quick trickler ??

So, Im just getting into reloading, compiling a list of equipment needed. I'm only going to be reloading .223 and .45 ACP. Was originally going to use a rcbs uniflow, but stumbled on the Hornady quick trickler. Seems like it should work for the small charges I'm going to be using. I like that it can be used anywhere on the bench. And can be used to trickle directly onto a scale.
Wondering if anyone has any experience with one ? Here's the Item.

Thttps://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012741988/hornady-lock-n-load-quick-trickle-powder-trickler
Thanks
Old 02-11-2019, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I think you'd be disappointed trickling every case, especially 45.

A powder measure is more than accurate enough for pistol cases. It will suffice for "range fodder" in rifle. If I want more precise, I'll set the measure a tad light, then trickle the last grain or so with a basic trickler.

Could be a nice tool, but not in place of a powder measure. My gut tells me it's more of a solution looking for a problem.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 02-11-2019, 7:35 PM

I've never used the quick trickler so I can't help you with that. I've used a normal one and it works fine, it's just slow. A trickler can give precise loads, but it takes some patience, and depending on your scale it can seriously test your patience. Digitals have a bit of lag between the powder landing and the reading showing the weight and quite often I've had to take powder out of the pan and start over. It can also lead to overcharges. Digital scales are susceptible to 'drifting' and if it drifts as you're trickling you will have an overcharge. Any time I see a potential drift I pull the pan, re-zero, and re-weigh the charge to make sure. The displayed weight also varies with temperature so as it's warming up the zero will change from when you turned it on. My current digital scale, AWS ZEO-50, does pretty well for a cheapo. It reads to the hundredth of a grain (in .02 increments) which is pretty cool, but can be too much information and lead to tedious obsession. It will register one granule of stick powder which is pretty impressive. My previous was a Frankford Arsenal and it seemed fine at first, but it blows for trickling; lots of delay and drift issues.

If you're gonna use a trickler for all your charges I'd get a beam scale or a digital that's proven to work well, and it'll probably cost a fair bit. A beam has some degree of lag due to friction/stiction, but that's easy to overcome. I just tap the bench to gently jar it as I trickle to overcome the stiction. Most importantly, it can't drift while charging and the zero doesn't change throughout a session like a digital will.

If you're not after ultra precision the Hornady powder drop does really well with ball powders and pretty well with smaller stick powders. With big stick powder, like the RE-19 I use for .338, it isn't very good but not dangerously off unless I'm pushing the limits.
Old 02-11-2019, 7:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would guess that once you trickled 200 individual rounds, you would get over it and wished you had bought a rcbs or hornady powder measure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 02-11-2019, 7:36 PM

Jager said all the right things in many fewer words.
Old 02-11-2019, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestrictedColt View Post
I've never used the quick trickler so I can't help you with that. I've used a normal one and it works fine, it's just slow. A trickler can give precise loads, but it takes some patience, and depending on your scale it can seriously test your patience. Digitals have a bit of lag between the powder landing and the reading showing the weight and quite often I've had to take powder out of the pan and start over. It can also lead to overcharges. Digital scales are susceptible to 'drifting' and if it drifts as you're trickling you will have an overcharge. Any time I see a potential drift I pull the pan, re-zero, and re-weigh the charge to make sure. The displayed weight also varies with temperature so as it's warming up the zero will change from when you turned it on. My current digital scale, AWS ZEO-50, does pretty well for a cheapo. It reads to the hundredth of a grain (in .02 increments) which is pretty cool, but can be too much information and lead to tedious obsession. It will register one granule of stick powder which is pretty impressive. My previous was a Frankford Arsenal and it seemed fine at first, but it blows for trickling; lots of delay and drift issues.

If you're gonna use a trickler for all your charges I'd get a beam scale or a digital that's proven to work well, and it'll probably cost a fair bit. A beam has some degree of lag due to friction/stiction, but that's easy to overcome. I just tap the bench to gently jar it as I trickle to overcome the stiction. Most importantly, it can't drift while charging and the zero doesn't change throughout a session like a digital will.

If you're not after ultra precision the Hornady powder drop does really well with ball powders and pretty well with smaller stick powders. With big stick powder, like the RE-19 I use for .338, it isn't very good but not dangerously off unless I'm pushing the limits.
Good point about beam vs. digital.

Beam: Good for weighing to a specific amount.

Digital: Good to see what some variable quantity weighs.

My little BPI digital has amazed me. No appreciable drift, etc. There is a slight amount of hysteresis though as well as the response time you referenced. I find it functional for setting and checking the powder measure. I'll use the beam to trickle to a set amount.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 02-11-2019, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

I use a Uniflow for handgun ammo and a Chargemaster for rifle.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 02-12-2019, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumslie View Post
I would guess that once you trickled 200 individual rounds, you would get over it and wished you had bought a rcbs or hornady powder measure.
First of all, who shoots in such volume that you want 0.05g accuracy for 200 rounds?

When I need 0.1g accuracy, I simply trickle using a rifle case and powder on a scale beam. I typically don't load more than about 50 rounds (5 sets of 10) and after finding the node, can use a simple powder measure that gets within +/- 0.1g (remember, that's the definition of a node, a load where small changes in the interior ballistics does not change the POI).

To the OP. Try loading for a while without buying a fancy trickler setup.
Hand trickle some loads, then simply powder measure drop some loads and see if you can tell the difference. If you can, then either keep hand trickling or spend the bucks for a nice trickler. If you can't tell the difference, you've just saved an unnecessary expense.
Old 02-12-2019, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
First of all, who shoots in such volume that you want 0.05g accuracy for 200 rounds?

When I need 0.1g accuracy, I simply trickle using a rifle case and powder on a scale beam. I typically don't load more than about 50 rounds (5 sets of 10) and after finding the node, can use a simple powder measure that gets within +/- 0.1g (remember, that's the definition of a node, a load where small changes in the interior ballistics does not change the POI).

To the OP. Try loading for a while without buying a fancy trickler setup.

Hand trickle some loads, then simply powder measure drop some loads and see if you can tell the difference. If you can, then either keep hand trickling or spend the bucks for a nice trickler. If you can't tell the difference, you've just saved an unnecessary expense.
No one does. That was my point. Not sure why you quoted me?

If he was so dead set on buying it, my prediction was that he would figure out that it was a mistake after finishing 200 rounds and buy a standard powder measure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Hmmm.

Trickle, trickle, trickle, trickle, damn - too much. Start over.

Vs.

Hit the handle. Hey, pretty close!

Get a real powder measure, and then get a trickler if you feel the need to be more accurate than the measure is. Or do what I do and get a small stainless spatula (mine measures maybe 1/4" x 3/4") and pull or add kernels as needed.