Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-09-2019, 7:38 PM

Default Seeking input on Browning CXT

Wife and I are looking to do trap and some skeet this year. She has a shotgun and I want to get an over under in the next month or so.
I was in my local Scheels looking at a Beretta 626 Silver Pigeon and a Browning CXT. Looking at online reviews of the 626, they are mixed with some reports of ejection issues.
The CXT for the most part has consistently good reviews. Anyone shoot one by chance and can provide their feedback? Any other shotgun I should consider? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2019, 7:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababoris View Post
Wife and I are looking to do trap and some skeet this year. She has a shotgun and I want to get an over under in the next month or so.
I was in my local Scheels looking at a Beretta 626 Silver Pigeon and a Browning CXT. Looking at online reviews of the 626, they are mixed with some reports of ejection issues.
The CXT for the most part has consistently good reviews. Anyone shoot one by chance and can provide their feedback? Any other shotgun I should consider? Thanks in advance.

I have both a CX and CXS. They are built like tanks. I plan on selling the CX, but the only reason why is I want a more dedicated skeet gun. The CX is somewhat a catchall and while I have the CXS, I would like to get a 725 and/or try out a Zoli.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:10 PM

My Silver Pigeon works fine, it just doesn't fit me well
Old 02-09-2019, 10:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Both are good guns, I really suggest getting her to try both. I feel like not that many people like both equally. Just to clarify you’re talking about a 686 not a 626 correct? 626 is a side by side.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:07 PM

The 686 is a solid gun. Shoulder both, to see which fits you better.
Old 02-10-2019, 8:00 AM
Calguns Addict

It's 686. IME Beretta's have always been solid. They make a sporting, which is really just longer chokes and maybe a mid bead. Except for their target guns like 682/692 they have automatic safeties which can be a pain on a trap/skeet field, but are readily defeated.

The CX-series is probably the most bang for the buck in "consumer" grade shotguns. Brownings don't have auto safeties.

Many find 1 or the other (Browning /Beretta) fits them best and can't stand the other. Myself, I can shoot either.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 02-10-2019, 8:06 AM

Triple B Clays in South El Monte rents O/U for $50/day. IIRC, they have Beretta 686, Citori, Citori 725, and a bunch of other expensive O/Us. I don't remember if they rent CXT model though.

If you live near by, I'd suggest to call them to check what they have for rental.
Old 02-10-2019, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamajun View Post
Triple B Clays in South El Monte rents O/U for $50/day. IIRC, they have Beretta 686, Citori, Citori 725, and a bunch of other expensive O/Us. I don't remember if they rent CXT model though.

If you live near by, I'd suggest to call them to check what they have for rental.

Thanks all. Good call on trying before buying. I moved to Des Moines IA so may have to find something local where I can try them out first.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:55 AM

IF you are in Socal I would suggest a trip to Pacific Sales in Azusa and let their sales people who are VERY knowlegable about both of these guns show you the pros and cons of each one. They will also figure out which one fits you best.

Both of these guns are excellent but they are completely different as to fit.

Some people like Beretta's better some people like Browning's better.

I like Browning's better. That and a cup of coffee will still cost you a buck.

Let people who actually know what they are talking about help you out. Spending $2 Grand on a gun that doesn't work for you, is not a prudent course of action.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 02-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

As others have stated - trying before buying is best. Fit is very important.

To answer your question, a couple of my friends shoot CXT. They love them. No issues at all.
12 gauge Combo 34" Single & 32" ported barrels, adjustable ribs, & removable chokes
CZ Tactical Sport 40 S&W
Ponsness Warren 800+ 12 gauge

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 02-10-2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamajun View Post

Hopefully you find there rentals in better shape than what I found last fall. I rented and tried several. The 626 was a real disappointment as one of the ejectors fell out on my walk from the Pro Shop to the field. Then there were several light strikes on factory ammo which was quite disappointing. Pay $50 for poor quality rentals was not what I was expecting. Then when I took the fallen out ejector back to the PS and told their "Gunsmith" that it fell out in the parking lot he damned near accused me of abusing the gun.

However I was able to determine that the Beretta was not a good fit for me. I did like the Citori fit however and ended up buying a CX (at Pacific Sporting Arms) and I absolutely love the gun. It's a 30" and I've used it for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays and it's functioned flawlessly so far.

Either gun should run perfectly for a very long time so really it comes down to fit and feel.
"Get a gun, get legal, be responsible, trust yourself. Don't trust yourself? Then don't carry. But for God's sake then, shut the f**k up about it, because that's where your involvement ends. "[/B] - Lynn Russell ex CNN Anchor and wife of US Army Special forces vet Chuck de Caro. Chuck killed a would be robber in a motel room in New Mexico using the legal carry weapon that Lynn had in her purse.

Old 02-11-2019, 9:39 AM

The CXT is a dedicated trap gun. It shoots high so you can "float" a rising bird above your sight plane. That being said, it's a great option for trap, but not for skeet, which is a sport best suited for shotguns that shoot a flatter point of impact (POI).

If you're interested in shooting both trap and skeet, I would suggest looking at the Citori CX, which doesn't shoot as high as a trap gun and not as flat as a skeet gun. It's a good option for the guy that wants one gun to do it all. If you get serious about one discipline or the other, then you can buy a dedicated gun later.
Old 02-11-2019, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
The CXT is a dedicated trap gun. It shoots high so you can "float" a rising bird above your sight plane. That being said, it's a great option for trap, but not for skeet, which is a sport best suited for shotguns that shoot a flatter point of impact (POI).

If you're interested in shooting both trap and skeet, I would suggest looking at the Citori CX, which doesn't shoot as high as a trap gun and not as flat as a skeet gun. It's a good option for the guy that wants one gun to do it all. If you get serious about one discipline or the other, then you can buy a dedicated gun later.

That is great info. Thank you and thanks to everyone helping me out.

Old 02-12-2019, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post

I missed the T in CXT and my comments above pertain to the Citori CX. I've shot trap with it as said and for my mediocre ability the gun did very well. I don't shoot a lot of trap but I was able to break 22 on my last round and prior to that I probably never scored higher than a 17.
"Get a gun, get legal, be responsible, trust yourself. Don't trust yourself? Then don't carry. But for God's sake then, shut the f**k up about it, because that's where your involvement ends. "[/B] - Lynn Russell ex CNN Anchor and wife of US Army Special forces vet Chuck de Caro. Chuck killed a would be robber in a motel room in New Mexico using the legal carry weapon that Lynn had in her purse.