Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Turner's Outdoorsman
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2018, 11:57 AM

Default How to lose a customer in 10 minutes flat.

Thank you Fountain Valley Turner's for making my gun, ammo and accessory purchases easier, I'm never stepping into another of your stores again.

My wife and I have been shopping for a new gun safe. After weeks of shopping around we decided on the Winchester Pony 19. It's not on the high end of the price range I was looking for, but it would serve the purpose for our needs and it was on sale.

We had talked to a salesman last weekend who was helpful and showed us the features. We had discussed either picking it up or having it delivered (for a fee.)
Well, I had decided to go down and pick it up today in my truck thinking that they would help me load it because that's what the salesman had said. I went in, moseyed on over to the gun counter where a gal showed me a rifle, she was also the same gal who had helped my wife and I on the weekend when I asked about an EMP 9mm and looked at the S&W 586. She asked if I wanted to buy the rifle today, and I told her I needed to go up front and buy a safe. She put the rifle back in the rack and moved on to help someone else.

I go back up front to the safes and am looking at them again. A short feller in 5.11 gear walks past me a few times without a word, so I stop him and ask if someone can help me with buying a safe. He tells me to go to the back counter and pull a number. He then notices a tall red headed kid standing behind the counter and asks him if he is busy and tells him to help me when he said he wasn't. The kid shows me the safe one more time and asked me if I wanted it delivered. I said no if y'all could help me load it into my truck. The kid said they could, but I would have to sign a waiver. Whatever.
We go to the back counter so he can start writing it up on the computer and he goes into the back to check stock. There are none in the back, we walk back up to the front and there is one in a box next to the display. For some reason he has to ask his manager if he can sell the one in the box. The kid goes over to the short feller in the 5.11 gear (the manager, go figure) and asked him and said that I would pick it up now. The manager asks me if I brought anybody to help load it. I told him I was told on the weekend that they would help. The manager looks at me and says they don't load safes. He then asks me who told him, I didn't know the name (mainly because folks don't seem to give names anymore,) but I described the gent who helped us. The manager said he would talk to that salesman, but then said he didn't have an employee that matched that description. Then the conversation turned to having to ship that safe back to the warehouse and having the shipping company pick it up and deliver it and them trying to figure out how much it would cost me.
I then told the manager that the red headed kid told me they would help if I signed a waiver. The manager looked right at that kid and asked him if he had said that, to which the kid said yes. 5.11 started correcting the kid on the spot, he turned and told me he would retrain the kid and he apologized for the confusion.
I looked him in the eye and said "There's been a fair amount of wobble in the conversation in the ten minutes I've been here." I turned and walked out saying I would think on it.

Well, I'm done thinking. I'm not going back to this or any other Turner's. I probably could've got some friends together and picked that safe up. Then again, I can go to one of the other places I looked at safes at and pay a bit more and get free delivery for a bit bigger safe for not a lot more money.
I don't need to go there to buy the EMP 9mm that my wife wants. Nor do I need to go there and buy that S&W 586 that I am lusting after. That .30 cal Auto Ordnance Carbine looked like a fun range toy, that I'm sure I can find elsewhere.

I apologize for the long rant on what I consider a bad experience, but it is what it is.
Thank you Turner's for making all of my future purchases easier by not having to consider your offerings. I'll be sure to tell my friends.

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
W.T. Sherman

Last edited by Revhendo; 03-23-2018 at 12:25 PM..
Old 03-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Calguns Addict

It's discount shopping, that always includes a total lack of service.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
It's discount shopping, that always includes a total lack of service.
Agreed, but I would think in the age of our ever eroding 2A that they would work harder for our business. Or at least have more respect for it.

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
W.T. Sherman
Old 03-23-2018, 12:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Turner's has the ABSOLUTE WORST customer service of any of the gun stores I have been to in my 40 years on this earth.

EVERY single branch I have been to has had TERRIBLE customer service.

Don't go to Turner's in Fountain Valley when there's RifleGear close by! And OC Armory close by.... Even Ammo Bros Ontario is better....
Old 03-23-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
Turner's has the ABSOLUTE WORST customer service of any of the gun stores I have been to in my 40 years on this earth.

EVERY single branch I have been to has had TERRIBLE customer service.

Don't go to Turner's in Fountain Valley when there's RifleGear close by! And OC Armory close by.... Even Ammo Bros Ontario is better....
There's an Ammo Bros in Santa Ana off of the 55, and OC Outdoors in Costa Mesa is my go to FFL.

Heck, Costco and Sam's club sell safes that are on par with that Winchester, and they have free delivery to your garage. (Yes, I know I'm talking RSCs and not actual safes.)

W.T. Sherman
Old 03-23-2018, 1:02 PM

Turners visits can definitely be stressful especially when you have to pull a number and wait an hour for a box of ammo or a detent.
I have also had a lot of conflicting information on what they will or can do as the op encountered. I also find it odd that they refused to do a ppt on Ps90 due to supposed questionable legality when they had one for sale on the rack.
Old 03-23-2018, 1:05 PM

You petulant man children who complain when a big box store has the audacity to serve your market interests never cease to amaze me.

What exactly are you complaining about?
How many stores even sell gun safes this day besides stack on cabinents?

How many even sell guns, let alone black rifles and handguns?

we have no turners here in the bay area. I would be ecstatic to have more choices.
At these big box stores, the onus is on you to get things done and made sure it's done right.

Maybe if enough of stop buying from turners, they'll just stop selling guns at all! Everyone wins.

Last edited by thetruecheese; 03-23-2018 at 1:10 PM..
Old 03-23-2018, 1:13 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revhendo View Post
Thank you Fountain Valley Turner's for making my gun, ammo and accessory purchases easier, I'm never stepping into another of your stores again.

My wife and I have been shopping for a new gun safe. After weeks of shopping around we decided on the Winchester Pony 19. It's not on the high end of the price range I was looking for, but it would serve the purpose for our needs and it was on sale.

We had talked to a salesman last weekend who was helpful and showed us the features. We had discussed either picking it up or having it delivered (for a fee.)
Well, I had decided to go down and pick it up today in my truck thinking that they would help me load it because that's what the salesman had said. I went in, moseyed on over to the gun counter where a gal showed me a rifle, she was also the same gal who had helped my wife and I on the weekend when I asked about an EMP 9mm and looked at the S&W 586. She asked if I wanted to buy the rifle today, and I told her I needed to go up front and buy a safe. She put the rifle back in the rack and moved on to help someone else.

I go back up front to the safes and am looking at them again. A short feller in 5.11 gear walks past me a few times without a word, so I stop him and ask if someone can help me with buying a safe. He tells me to go to the back counter and pull a number. He then notices a tall red headed kid standing behind the counter and asks him if he is busy and tells him to help me when he said he wasn't. The kid shows me the safe one more time and asked me if I wanted it delivered. I said no if y'all could help me load it into my truck. The kid said they could, but I would have to sign a waiver. Whatever.
We go to the back counter so he can start writing it up on the computer and he goes into the back to check stock. There are none in the back, we walk back up to the front and there is one in a box next to the display. For some reason he has to ask his manager if he can sell the one in the box. The kid goes over to the short feller in the 5.11 gear (the manager, go figure) and asked him and said that I would pick it up now. The manager asks me if I brought anybody to help load it. I told him I was told on the weekend that they would help. The manager looks at me and says they don't load safes. He then asks me who told him, I didn't know the name (mainly because folks don't seem to give names anymore,) but I described the gent who helped us. The manager said he would talk to that salesman, but then said he didn't have an employee that matched that description. Then the conversation turned to having to ship that safe back to the warehouse and having the shipping company pick it up and deliver it and them trying to figure out how much it would cost me.
I then told the manager that the red headed kid told me they would help if I signed a waiver. The manager looked right at that kid and asked him if he had said that, to which the kid said yes. 5.11 started correcting the kid on the spot, he turned and told me he would retrain the kid and he apologized for the confusion.
I looked him in the eye and said "There's been a fair amount of wobble in the conversation in the ten minutes I've been here." I turned and walked out saying I would think on it.

Well, I'm done thinking. I'm not going back to this or any other Turner's. I probably could've got some friends together and picked that safe up. Then again, I can go to one of the other places I looked at safes at and pay a bit more and get free delivery for a bit bigger safe for not a lot more money.
I don't need to go there to buy the EMP 9mm that my wife wants. Nor do I need to go there and buy that S&W 586 that I am lusting after. That .30 cal Auto Ordnance Carbine looked like a fun range toy, that I'm sure I can find elsewhere.

I apologize for the long rant on what I consider a bad experience, but it is what it is.
Thank you Turner's for making all of my future purchases easier by not having to consider your offerings. I'll be sure to tell my friends.

Kevin,
I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding. Not sure where the miscommunication was but we dropped the ball and should have helped you load that safe. We do have guidelines for number of people to a safe depending on the weight, but that would at most mean waiting for two able bodied people to get free to load the safe. Not much I can say at this point besides we're sorry to have caused you this inconvenience and we have passed this along to all the necessary parties.

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill | Temecula
| Torrance | Victorville | West Covina | Salinas | Sacramento | Fresno | Modesto | Roseville | Stockton | Santa Clarita | Fresno |Bakersfield| West Bakersfield | Palm Desert | Tucson|

33 Throughout California
Store Location Info
Our Weekly Ad
Join our e-mail list!
Old 03-23-2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneTurnersGuy View Post
Kevin,
I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding. Not sure where the miscommunication was but we dropped the ball and should have helped you load that safe. We do have guidelines for number of people to a safe depending on the weight, but that would at most mean waiting for two able bodied people to get free to load the safe. Not much I can say at this point besides we're sorry to have caused you this inconvenience and we have passed this along to all the necessary parties.
Chris,
Thank you for the response. Your manager made it clear that it wasn't an issue of manpower, it was policy that your employees would not load that safe into my truck. Your manager said he would retrain the two employees in this scenario. I'm afraid there was no miscommunication on my part, there were three situations being told to me, the last one being I wasn't taking a purchase home from your Fountain Valley store by your manager.

It's fine, I can spend my money elsewhere and so can my friends and family.

Kevin

W.T. Sherman
Old 03-23-2018, 1:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Kevin,
I've purchased numerous firearms and firearm related products from your El Cajon store and always have had great service. I do appreciate the fact that you came on here and took responsibility for the mistake.

Mojave Lever Crew Member

"It is time for us to do what we have been doing and that time is every day. Every day it is time for us to agree that there are things and tools that are available to us to slow this thing down." - Kamala "Heels Up" Harris

Slava Ukraini (Слава Україні)
Old 03-23-2018, 1:59 PM

While it's been years since I've gone to the FV location I do go to the Orange store often. I've found that the younger managers don't understand customer service, have little firearm knowledge and have a stick up their *****. The older managers don't usually have this issue. I'm guessing this manager was younger?
Old 03-23-2018, 2:05 PM

The guys at Bass Pro in Manteca didn't hesitate to assist my son and I loading a Browning safe into our Suburban.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post
While it's been years since I've gone to the FV location I do go to the Orange store often. I've found that the younger managers don't understand customer service, have little firearm knowledge and have a stick up their *****. The older managers don't usually have this issue. I'm guessing this manager was younger?
Nope, I'd say in his forties. I don't have his name, he didn't introduce himself.
The breakdown of courtesy in society is widespread.

I agree with you on the Orange store. I just don't get up that way often.

W.T. Sherman
Old 03-23-2018, 2:41 PM

I'd like to ask the manager: "Mr. 5.11, Am I here because you're here or are you here because I'm here?"
Old 03-23-2018, 2:42 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Chris,
Thank you for the response. Your manager made it clear that it wasn't an issue of manpower, it was policy that your employees would not load that safe into my truck. Your manager said he would retrain the two employees in this scenario. I'm afraid there was no miscommunication on my part, there were three situations being told to me, the last one being I wasn't taking a purchase home from your Fountain Valley store by your manager.

It's fine, I can spend my money elsewhere and so can my friends and family.

Kevin
There was definitely a failure on our part. We appreciate you taking your time to reach out to us and let us know. Thank you.

Chino Hills | Corona | El Cajon | Fountain Valley
Kearny Mesa | Lake Forest | Norwalk | Orange
Oxnard | Pasadena | Rancho Cucamonga | Reseda
San Bernardino | San Marcos | Signal Hill | Temecula
| Torrance | Victorville | West Covina | Salinas | Sacramento | Fresno | Modesto | Roseville | Stockton | Santa Clarita | Fresno |Bakersfield| West Bakersfield | Palm Desert | Tucson|

33 Throughout California
Store Location Info
Our Weekly Ad
Join our e-mail list!
Old 03-23-2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
The breakdown of courtesy in society is widespread.
Agreed. This isn't a problem confined to chain gun stores.
Old 03-23-2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
There was definitely a failure on our part. We appreciate you taking your time to reach out to us and let us know. Thank you.
I really do appreciate your quick response and taking responsibility for this situation. To be honest, you've done me a favor and I have found the bigger Winchester safe on sale at Tractor Supply that will be delivered to my door for less than the your sale price on the Pony safe.

I wish you and your company well in the future. With a better eye towards building customer and community relations, you have the potential to do well in a currently unfavorable environment for gun owners and retailers.
I just won't be a part of it nor will my family.

W.T. Sherman
Old 03-23-2018, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Kevin,
Good on you for responding to a customer!

I like my local turners (Lake Forest) cause I used to have to travel great distances to find one prior. Your fishing / tackle guy at this location is hands down the friendliest guy I've met in retail. Wish I knew his name. Chunky, white mustache fellow. Your gun purchase process takes quite some time with all the internal verifications, but eh,

Last edited by downdiver2; 03-23-2018 at 4:30 PM..
Old 03-23-2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:

Got mine at Tractor Supply, Don't know if there is one near you, but, pretty sure they meet sale prices and i had no issues at all with service. Just a thought...

Update, i see the whole thread now..... Disregard.....
Old 03-23-2018, 6:51 PM

Went to the Norwalk Turners last weekend for some scope rings and the counter was 3 deep with several people waiting to DROS new guns. The rings were behind the counter so the salesman said I needed to get a number and wait to be called. I saw the rings, pointed them out, and asked if he could reach over and hand them to me so I could walk them to the counter and buy them. He apologized and said he was attending another customer as he called the next number. Wow! I understand first come first serve, but making a customer wait for an unnecessary amount of time for simple scope rings is a bad system. I ended up driving to Ammo Bros. in Cerritos and spent less than 5 minutes in the store buying the scope rings.
Old 04-14-2018, 2:22 PM

Went to the Norwalk Turners to buy a new handgun. I wanted to see 5 or 6 guns. The guy told me they can only show me 3 guns. Wtf? I just wanted to see how they felt in my hands. I understand them not wanting to spend an hour on a customer trying to make a decision but I literally held each gun for under a minute. If 3 guns is their policy its a dumb policy. To the guys credit, he showed me all the guns I wanted to see because he knows I’m a frequent customer. But it did piss me off that when I had narrowed my decision down to two guns and asked to see them side by side, he said that was my last chance. Since I was ready to make a decision I went ahead and bought one but it did leave a bad taste in my mouth. Especially considering I have bought at least 10 firearms from them in the past 8 months or so.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:09 AM

If you're not in a hurry, costco had the best prices on CAnnon safes earlier this year. Be patient. Don't put a 3,000,00 rifle in a 700.00 safe. BTW-Many stores to choose from besides Turner's but I do understand the convenience.