Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-20-2021, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Fox B Side by Side 20ga

I used to have a Savage Model 311 in 20 gauge, and loved it for rabbit hunting. Not knowing that I would be moving out of state in the future, I sold it when CA went to steel. A few years later, the wife pressed me to move out of state, and I've been looking to replace that little 20 gauge ever since.

I happened to be up in the Seattle area for work, and over the weekend attended a small gun show. I wandered around for a bit, and there it was..... only better. An "upgraded" Savage 311, in the form of a pretty little Fox B. After a brief negotiation, I handed over the cash and brought it home with me.

I know it is a "working man's gun", and not a highly prized example of the shotgun maker's art. But it is exactly what I was looking for, but prettier.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

Last edited by bigbossman; 07-20-2021 at 10:22 AM..
Old 07-20-2021, 9:38 AM
Calguns Addict

When I was young, I always wanted a Fox Model B, but couldn't afford it, so I bought a 311 instead. Still have it, but never use it. Because as you said, Kali went steel shot only.

Congrats.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 07-20-2021, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

The best part is that it has 26" barrels, so choked Mod/IC. It's going to perfect for bunny-busting!!

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 07-20-2021, 12:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My first gun was given to me when I turned 11. It was the 20 ga. Model 311. I have taken rabbits to deer with that gun and it will never leave my collection.
Old 07-20-2021, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Had one a long time ago, wish I still had it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 07-20-2021, 3:06 PM

I believe that Cali is non lead only not steep only. There is bithmus shells unless something changed recently.
Old 07-20-2021, 7:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris smith View Post
I believe that Cali is non lead only not steep only. There is bithmus shells unless something changed recently.
Technically true, and Bismuth would work fine in older tightly choked shotguns..... but shooting Bismuth at bunnies would be a bit of a budget-buster.

Old 07-20-2021, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfull View Post
My first gun was given to me when I turned 11. It was the 20 ga. Model 311. I have taken rabbits to deer with that gun and it will never leave my collection.
Yeah - I wish I still had that 311 I sold, too. I found it in an Oklahoma pawn shop for $150, and really liked shooting it.

Old 07-20-2021, 7:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A very nice looking gun!!
Old 07-20-2021, 7:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What's the barrel length?
Old 07-20-2021, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

See post #3. 26 inches.

Old 07-21-2021, 2:09 PM

I’ve had a Steven’s 311 for more than 65 years. Used it a lot as a kid to hunt doves in Imperial Valley and but haven’t shot it in decades. Great guns for the money. One of my grandsons will wind up with it.
Old 07-21-2021, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

I'm a sucker for case hardened...nice
Old 07-21-2021, 2:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Great gun.

Congrats!
Old 07-21-2021, 9:21 PM

Nice buy.

Have always thought there is something traditional or nostalgic about side by side shotguns.
Old 07-22-2021, 8:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojaveman View Post
Nice buy.

Have always thought there is something traditional or nostalgic about side by side shotguns.
Thanks.

When I was 16, I bought my first gun ever, a Savage 311 12ga. J.C. Penney's had them, for $65. I walked into the Northridge Mall, paid the clerk, maybe filled out a 4473 (don't remember), and walked out. I even remember the clerk's name, Karen Young. That was sometime in the 1970s.

Couldn't hit much of anything with it...... but the 20ga I pulled out of an OKC pawn shop several years later was a different story. That thing was pretty effective for reducing the bunny population at O'Neil Forebay.

Old 07-22-2021, 8:31 AM
Whatever
CGN Contributor

Thumbs up

My dad had a that gun in 16 Gauge. My brother owns it now. Such a beauty. Single trigger as I remember.
Old 07-22-2021, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
My dad had a that gun in 16 Gauge. My brother owns it now. Such a beauty. Single trigger as I remember.
Yes - later versions were single trigger.

Old 07-24-2021, 4:41 PM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

You got a good 'un made while they kept the classic--and very functional--stock shape with a relatively low comb and slim half pistol grip and splinter forend.

And before they added an ill-fitted ventilated rib and often-non-working single trigger and selective ejectors.

Basically the later "Bs" were loaded with non-essential features that more expensive doubles had. But Savage didn't put the time and fitting into these entry-level guns to ensure that they actually worked well.

Classic example of an excellent product made crap by marketeers.

Be thankful you got the real deal--a plain Jane bird killer! I used a 16 just like it all over the country for my "rainy day" double. Never let me down.