Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer in relation to .22 LR and AR's?
Conversion Kit 2 5.13%
Dedicated Upper 13 33.33%
Dedicated Rifle 19 48.72%
I don't believe in shooting .22LR in an AR 3 7.69%
Whichever comes with the best Bacon option 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2021, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

Default AR Preference - .22 LR Conversion Kit or Dedicated Upper or Dedicated Rifle?

It's been a running debate for years on Calguns and I don't see it ending soon. But, I thought it might be interesting to put some 'numbers' to the back on forth insofar as which is preferred in relation to .22 LR and AR's - a Conversion Kit or a Dedicated Upper or Dedicated Rifle. Do you prefer...

Conversion Kit
Dedicated Upper
Dedicated Rifle
I don't believe in shooting .22 LR in an AR
Whichever comes with the best Bacon option

Feel free to expound on the "why."

Once again, I don't have a dog in the hunt. It's as much a stray thought at this time of night as anything else.
Old 07-22-2021, 4:20 AM

Well I could not choose two..But definitely a dedicated complete Rifle is the wise option..Dedicated upper to fit your existing lower is fine too..Not a big deal to swap the upper..Drop in conversion if you are more budget minded..
Old 07-22-2021, 6:00 AM

Dedicated rifle if you have space in the safe (Tippman here), dedicated upper if not.

22lr is such a dirty round, with various waxy/greasy lubricants and most modern ARs having barrel twists much tighter (double) twist rates, chance of barrel leading, etc. makes conversion kit for me much less desirable
Old 07-22-2021, 6:16 AM

Most people miss the obvious reasons why to make a dedicated 22 upper. Most AR-15 barrels are between 1:7 and 1:9 twist... This is way too fast a twist rate for a 40 grain bullet therefore causing it to tumble. Most if not all 22 barrels are 1:16 twist. I personally have a dedicated 22 AR and it shoots a hundred times better than my conversion ever did.

Just my $.02

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2021, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

While I get why people will shoot 22lr with an AR, either a conversion or dedicated rifle/carbine. It’s never been something I’ve been interested in, when I shoot my AR’s it’s 556. Have other rifles in 22lr that I enjoy shooting, never really cared to blur the lines.

It’s not that I don’t believe in shooting 22lr with an AR, it’s just I don’t care too.
Old 07-22-2021, 11:56 AM

I put a CMMG conversion in my AR ONLY to go around commie foryuh's AW laws ! In Minnesota now for 3-4 months and then on to Tennessee and out it comes and back into the kit box. No issues here in Minnesota, just not ready to fool with it unless the big green weenie hits the propeller before the next move.

Psalm 1
Old 07-22-2021, 12:34 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

I've been through several conversions and uppers and the only one I have left is the PSA one. Price was great, and it has been awesome and great fun. The Chiappa worked, but was cheap and chintzy, and the conversion bolts are almost as much as I paid for the whole PSA upper. Magazines matter. A 500 round box of Thunderbolts and a bunch of steel targets is great fun until you run out. And 30 bucks, instead of a couple hundred.

Last edited by Spyder; 07-22-2021 at 12:36 PM..
Old 07-22-2021, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

My S&W M&P 15-22 and M&P 15 Sport II are perfect companions.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 07-22-2021, 1:26 PM
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

More complete firearms is always better.
Old 07-22-2021, 1:45 PM

I prefer my dedicated PSA upper on AR lower with Boonie Packer adapter to accept S&W M&P mags with last round bolt hold open. This exempt rimfire configuration allows for all the "evil features" without centerfire hassles, yet I always know that there is a spare complete lower there if needed.

I have both but I prefer the AR-22 to the S&W M&P 15-22. I think the 15-22 is a little too "light" for me and I would rather shoot an older Marlin or .22 cal lever gun if I'm not shooting the AR-22.

I had almost 5,000 rounds through my AR-22 without problems until I finally broke a firing pin. Just replaced it and need to get it back to the range.

While I like shooing 556, with a suitable pre-COVID 22 stash, it is a lot cheaper to shoot the AR-22 on a more regular basis

ARFrog
Old 07-22-2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormvet View Post
While I get why people will shoot 22lr with an AR, either a conversion or dedicated rifle/carbine. It’s never been something I’ve been interested in, when I shoot my AR’s it’s 556. Have other rifles in 22lr that I enjoy shooting, never really cared to blur the lines.

It’s not that I don’t believe in shooting 22lr with an AR, it’s just I don’t care too.
They are not only great fun..Much much cheaper to feed..And if you ever escape CA..Get a Binary trigger..More fun than a barrel of monkeys as they say..I have several 5.56 ARs..This .22 is the one that goes out with me most often, and is the most fun by a very long shot..I cannot afford to blast away 5.56 for fun anymore..I have piles of cheap .22 rounds though..

Old 07-22-2021, 5:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I don’t care for a lot of loose parts.
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”
Old 07-22-2021, 7:02 PM

Dedicated Upper = Dedicated Rifle
Old 07-22-2021, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

I prefer ARs to be centerfire, but I'd go the dedicated rifle route if I was inclined. Far more pluses than minuses. Removes a lot of error possibilities.

My 7.62x39 AR has different color furniture and 7.62 engraved on dust cover to prevent confusion. Mixing parts around could lead to problems.
Old 07-22-2021, 7:45 PM

I have both and out to 130 yards they both perform exactly the same. The biggest difference that's been pointed out by others is the twist rates of the barrel. That being said, if I had to choose one and I was strictly going to shoot 22 long rifle of course I would pick a dedicated rifle that was built around the 22 LR round. Of course the option of shooting either 22 or 223, 556 out of a normal AR upper can also be a major deciding factor for somebody. You just have to decide what you're going to be shooting
Old 07-22-2021, 8:29 PM

A dedicated upper is the best choice for any serious shooting. The rifling twist is incorrect in an AR for .22lr. The gun will shoot but performance suffers. I built a dedicated upper with a Beyer barrel and it kills squirrels all day long out to 75 yards as my eyes are limiting me.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:03 PM

Many of the dedicated rifle are just plastic uni-frame. I don't see the point.
Old 07-23-2021, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

As I said in the OP, I don't have a dog in the hunt.

I can see advantages and disadvantages to each option, particularly in California with our 'maze' of laws related to so-called "assault weapons."

With that said, I could see a dedicated upper for many of the reasons cited above. However, a dedicated rifle might be worth the extra investment in this State. But, a lot of the justification for either is going to be dependent upon how much you actually shoot the thing and for what purpose.

A conversion kit is something I see as a potential 'bonus' for a go bag - IF - your primary rifle is going to be an AR. There are a few which are 'accurate enough' for the occasional squirrel/rabbit.

A dedicated upper is a less expensive alternative to a rifle, has the advantage of an actual .22 LR barrel, and can be mated to an existing lower for an AR. However, in this State, it can potentially create 'issues' (legal and otherwise) depending on how you configure your lower vis a vis its so-called "assault weapon" configuration. (Yes. Legal, at least in the sense of "looking like," opening you up to questions being asked.)

A dedicated rifle obviates most of the issues surrounding so-called "assault weapons" once the questions are being asked. But, for my purposes, were I looking for a dedicated .22 rifle, I'm not sure one in an AR configuration would be my choice over, say, a 10/22, Marlin 60, or a CZ bolt action. As a 'survival rifle,' a dedicated upper or, more likely, a conversion kit would seem to be a 'better' alternative in the grand scheme of things.

That's my, personal take on them. YMMV. Having played with all three types, I've come to the conclusion that all can be 'fun to play with.' But, again, that's why I asked which you prefer.
Old 07-24-2021, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
As I said in the OP, I don't have a dog in the hunt.

I can see advantages and disadvantages to each option, particularly in California with our 'maze' of laws related to so-called "assault weapons."

With that said, I could see a dedicated upper for many of the reasons cited above. However, a dedicated rifle might be worth the extra investment in this State. But, a lot of the justification for either is going to be dependent upon how much you actually shoot the thing and for what purpose.

A conversion kit is something I see as a potential 'bonus' for a go bag - IF - your primary rifle is going to be an AR. There are a few which are 'accurate enough' for the occasional squirrel/rabbit.

A dedicated upper is a less expensive alternative to a rifle, has the advantage of an actual .22 LR barrel, and can be mated to an existing lower for an AR. However, in this State, it can potentially create 'issues' (legal and otherwise) depending on how you configure your lower vis a vis its so-called "assault weapon" configuration. (Yes. Legal, at least in the sense of "looking like," opening you up to questions being asked.)

A dedicated rifle obviates most of the issues surrounding so-called "assault weapons" once the questions are being asked. But, for my purposes, were I looking for a dedicated .22 rifle, I'm not sure one in an AR configuration would be my choice over, say, a 10/22, Marlin 60, or a CZ bolt action. As a 'survival rifle,' a dedicated upper or, more likely, a conversion kit would seem to be a 'better' alternative in the grand scheme of things.

That's my, personal take on them. YMMV. Having played with all three types, I've come to the conclusion that all can be 'fun to play with.' But, again, that's why I asked which you prefer.
Well believe me I have Model 60s, Marlin Lever actions and many, many more .22 Rifles and Handguns in addition to the AR dedicated Rifle..You do not have to limit yourself to only one .22

Everyone who enjoys Rimfire, should have at least one dedicate Rifle in the AR platform..I am not talking a plastic proprietary design SW MP22, or God forbid a Colt M4 cheapo one, or one of the other knockoff plastic crappers that are out there..I am talking a "real" one like mine..