Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-14-2019, 5:54 PM

Unhappy Obtaining a copy of DROS receipt after PPT?

I just completed the pick up of a ppt firearm and screwed up and didnít get my copy of the DROS receipt. I donít know what I was thinking, Iíve never forgotten to get a copy before. I called the FFL back and they said said that the only way they could give me a copy is if I came back into the store in person. Is there any other way to get a copy of my DROS receipt, maybe directly from the DOJ? I really want a copy as itís the only proof I have that we completed the transfer legally. How long are FFLs in CA required to keep a copy of the DROS on hand (that is, how long do I have to get this done)? The only reason this is problematic is that this FFL is a couple hours drive away and I wouldnít want to make the drive unless itís the only way to get a another copy.
Old 04-14-2019, 6:02 PM

Canít they mail it to the address you did the DROS with? Should satisfy their desire to make sure the right person gets it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2019, 6:17 PM

Thatís what I thought, but they said no. I think Iíll be heading back out in their direction at the end of next week, so itís not that bad, but I want to make sure theyíre required to keep it on hand for at least two weeks.
Old 04-14-2019, 6:17 PM
Vendor/Retailer

They can email you a copy, it’s simple and I have done it many times.

http://www.placertactical.com
rick@placertactical.com
916-996-5510
533 Lincoln Blvd #7, Lincoln 95648
https://www.facebook.com/PlacerTactical
$40 dealer transfers
$50 intrafamilial transfers
Old 04-14-2019, 7:43 PM

If the dealer won’t send you one, you cal always use the DOJ form.
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...rms/volreg.pdf

Also, it was a PPT at a dealer and you ID was swiped so everyone who needs to know can see the serial number belongs to someone else.

Last edited by GnomeMoney; 04-14-2019 at 7:45 PM..
Old 04-14-2019, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

The DROS information is kept in the system, but it isn't the signed copy. For a CA PPT, there are three versions, the FFL copy with all the info, and then the buyer's copy and the seller's copy with information redacted. They are supposed to give you a copy.

The DES system retains the information by means of the AFS, so you really don't need proof that you sold it properly, they already know that and they don't delete the information.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-15-2019, 9:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I assume you were the buyer of the firearm. Once the firearm approval was clicked on the DES the firearm info went into the AFS as you are the new buyer. Why do you want a copy of the DROS? If you were the seller maybe I can see why you would want one, but as the buyer I personally wouldn't care.

But as to respond to your original post and as its already been stated the FFL needed to give out a copy at the time. Other than that there are under no obligation to go out of their way to do more. They already had to work for free to do your PPT so to go do more work I can see why they are not wanting to do more.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Tons of new handguns! New Aero Receivers in stock soon!
Old 04-15-2019, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acespawnshop View Post
I assume you were the buyer of the firearm. Once the firearm approval was clicked on the DES the firearm info went into the AFS as you are the new buyer. Why do you want a copy of the DROS? If you were the seller maybe I can see why you would want one, but as the buyer I personally wouldn't care.

But as to respond to your original post and as its already been stated the FFL needed to give out a copy at the time. Other than that there are under no obligation to go out of their way to do more. They already had to work for free to do your PPT so to go do more work I can see why they are not wanting to do more.
If you think people are having to work for free I’m happy to pay whatever you think is fair to get the copy. I just don’t want to drive a 4 hour round trip. Yes I was the buyer. I want the copy because it could be needed in case there is a discrepancy sometime in the future between what the DoJ has on file and what I’ve done. This has happened to me before and it’s only because I had a copy of the DROS that I was able to correct it.

Basically I’m just asking someone to help me out, but if that’s a problem how much money do you think someone should be paid to make a copy of a piece of paper? Is $100 enough?

Last edited by Bolt_Action; 04-15-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What I said was that they already had to work for free to do your PPT in the first place. Not saying that they should pay $100 to print a piece of paper. I can see why they would only want you to come in person to get a copy. Since it does have your personal info on it. We told everyone who wanted us to print copies again for their AW registrations that they had to come in person and bring their ID's.

Did they not give you a copy in the first place? They should have.

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not to start a lengthy discussion, but as I understand the PPT process, either party in a PPT is entitled to a copy of the PPT "upon request". Not automatically. No?

So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State.
Judge Roger T. Benitez
LCM's ruled legal 3/29/2019
Old 04-15-2019, 11:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not sure, but it is required as part of the dros approval part, so the OP should have been given one.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt_Action View Post
If you think people are having to work for free I’m happy to pay whatever you think is fair to get the copy. I just don’t want to drive a 4 hour round trip. Yes I was the buyer. I want the copy because it could be needed in case there is a discrepancy sometime in the future between what the DoJ has on file and what I’ve done. This has happened to me before and it’s only because I had a copy of the DROS that I was able to correct it.

Basically I’m just asking someone to help me out, but if that’s a problem how much money do you think someone should be paid to make a copy of a piece of paper? Is $100 enough?

OP,
Not sure how soon PPT transfer will get into AFS, maybe FFL will answer it. However if you want to know what firearms you have on file in the AFS, you can file a "Automated Firearms System (AFS) Request for Firearm Records" in a few weeks you will receive a letter listed all of your firearms in the AFS including AWs under your name.

Automated Firearms System (AFS) Request for Firearm Records (BOF 053)
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...ateCitizen.pdf

Last edited by seainc; 04-15-2019 at 12:44 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 1:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is the dealer required to give me a copy of the DROS information when I purchase a firearm?

◦Yes, upon request, the dealer must provide you with a copy of the DROS application. In private party transactions, the seller is also entitled to a copy of the DROS application upon request.

(Pen. Code, ß 28210.)

(f) If the transaction is a private party transfer conducted pursuant to Chapter 5 (commencing with Section 28050), a photocopy of the original shall be provided to the seller or purchaser by the dealer, upon request. The dealer shall redact all of the purchaser s personal information, as required pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 28160 and subdivision (a) of Section 28165, from the seller s copy, and the seller s personal information from the purchaser s copy

So, now it is ironic that the State whittles away at the right of its citizens to defend themselves from the possible oppression of their State.
Judge Roger T. Benitez
LCM's ruled legal 3/29/2019
Old 04-16-2019, 11:35 PM

It sounds like a data security policy.

When I get a phone call from a person I don't personally know, asking for a copy of the buyers info, I can't just willy-nilly give that out. What if it's your estranged wifes boyfriend, or worse yet, your wife?! You never know who is collecting data on you, and I don't want to breach your privacy.

If you come back into the store and present ID, I'll print you another copy, no problem at all.
Old 04-17-2019, 8:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

:i agree: