Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2020, 7:43 PM

Default AR build.

Delete

Last edited by Alex Quiroz; 08-20-2020 at 1:44 AM.. Reason: Delete
Old 07-26-2020, 3:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

Holy cow?! What's with all the noobs buying guns in pieces these days?! Is that's all that's LEFT out there?!?!

Here we go again...

See if this helps.

And as I've suggested TWICE before - for OTHER noobs reading this - do NOT attempt to assemble your FIRST AR, unless you're prior service!

I owned AR's for 19 years, before I felt the urge to build my own.
Old 07-26-2020, 7:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For $35 Gunfighter Tactical will assemble all of it for you, while you wait.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Holy cow?! What's with all the noobs buying guns in pieces these days?! Is that's all that's LEFT out there?!?!

Here we go again...

See if this helps.

And as I've suggested TWICE before - for OTHER noobs reading this - do NOT attempt to assemble your FIRST AR, unless you're prior service!

I respectfully disagree. There are many resources online that can help someone build their first AR with success.

It's also a great way for new owners to understand the inner workings of the firearm.

I had planned to buy a complete upper for my first AR, but, like you said, it's so difficult to get these days that the alternative is to source parts individually.

I took it out on the range, the first few shots didn't blow up in my face, so I'd call my first build a success.

#legosforadults
Old 07-26-2020, 10:38 AM

dtang is right. it's better to know all the parts of your rifle and how they function rather than just charge, pull trigger, drop mag. I've know how to shoot ARs for years.. but knowing how they function and how to piece them together makes it all that much better.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:43 AM

I can assemble a lower blindfolded. I’m sure you will be just fine if you don’t have the IQ of a CAL.BAR
Old 07-26-2020, 12:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtang16 View Post
I respectfully disagree. There are many resources online that can help someone build their first AR with success.

- BRAND new to firearms
- BRAND new to the AR
- Little to no mechanical aptitude
=
BAD combination.

These are perilous times to start with, and newbies trying to assemble things they DON'T know - EXPLOSIVE things, that can not only kill others, but kill YOURSELF, if you're not careful - is like be taught to swim, by being tossed from a helicopter in the middle of the Pacific, and told that the shore is... "thataway!" It's a recipe for failure.
Old 07-27-2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
For $35 Gunfighter Tactical will assemble all of it for you, while you wait.

Thank you very much. Luckily I bought my Glock there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2020, 7:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Quiroz View Post
Thank you very much. Luckily I bought my Glock there.

https://youtu.be/qztuEucrNBc
Old 07-27-2020, 11:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Forget about fancy parts queering up your AR. Buy complete uppers with magpul Ctr stock and forends and parts for lowers at PSA. Get one gun that has a custom trigger that you install. By 3 or 10 and forget about it. If there is a shooting war that goes with this cultural war your guns will be worth 10X what you paid and people will not be paying twice as much for Daniel Defense.
Old 07-28-2020, 5:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusrn View Post
If there is a shooting war that goes with this cultural war your guns will be worth 10X what you paid and people will not be paying twice as much for Daniel Defense.

Old 07-28-2020, 7:33 AM

I agree with dtang16's comment however if you are not comfortable doing the work find a gunsmith.

Having it assembled for $35 is a great deal. Unless you really want to assemble it yourself it is better to have it done by a gunsmith.
Old 07-29-2020, 4:59 PM

My first AR was a ready-out-of-the-box M&P 15 sport. I had that for about 3 years and then built two more ARs on my own, on my kitchen table, using the internet and videos. It passed a function test and then a range test. I'm not prior service. Ideally a person should have a working knowledge of how firearms operate and a healthy respect for the safety rules. Otherwise, building an AR isn't rocket science.
Old 07-30-2020, 4:10 AM

OP, are you planning to assemble both upper and lower receiver using various parts? If so, not sure if others have mentioned but you must invest in gunsmithing tools when building an AR.

Yes you can probably get by with some tools from local auto parts store but trust me, it will make assembling a lot easier/better so you won’t stall your project.

Old 08-11-2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
OP, are you planning to assemble both upper and lower receiver using various parts? If so, not sure if others have mentioned but you must invest in gunsmithing tools when building an AR.

Yes you can probably get by with some tools from local auto parts store but trust me, it will make assembling a lot easier/better so you won’t stall your project.

Thank you, I just needed the trigger assembly/buffer tube kit installed because I didn’t have any tools but I found a shop to do it for $25. Thank you.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:09 AM

Location: Currently in Virginia. Moving to San Diego summer 2020.

Quote:
Billy Madison reference few! I just watched that movie tonight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2020, 12:26 AM

Location: Currently in Virginia. Moving to San Diego summer 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Quiroz View Post
Thank you, I just needed the trigger assembly/buffer tube kit installed because I didn’t have any tools but I found a shop to do it for $25. Thank you.

That's so quick and easy that I would've done that for a lunch or a bag of sunflower seeds and bottle of arnold palmer.

I'm not a gunsmith, mostly because the tools add to the total weight of my household goods and having too much stuff can cost me a lot, especially with an international move.

I am prior military service, but the first AR I ever bought was done so in pieces. It was chambered in .22lr. I've since built over 2 dozen. All of them are all different, and only 6 use the same caliber ammo (one for each member of my family, and a carbine and a full length rifle setup for me). You don't need fancy mechanics tools to build an AR. The tools you need are pretty basic, and can purchase at Harbor Freight for fairly cheap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2020, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
These are perilous times to start with, and newbies trying to assemble things they DON'T know - EXPLOSIVE things, that can not only kill others, but kill YOURSELF, if you're not careful - is like be taught to swim, by being tossed from a helicopter in the middle of the Pacific, and told that the shore is... "thataway!" It's a recipe for failure.
What, exactly, do you think someone could do to a lower build that would cause the rifle to explode? Please be specific.

Or stop with the hyperbole. Most likely, it won't function at all. Or, possibly, they could wind up with an unreliable rifle. But exploding? Please.

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!