Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-13-2020, 7:39 PM

Default Bay area shooting

I'm very new to AR's and was wondering if people are ever open to meeting up at local ranges. Is there an open thread for that that i am missing?
Old 02-13-2020, 7:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Check sections:
Centerfire rifles
CGSSA Norcal chapters

If you're north of the GG Bridge, Circle S range in Tomales usually has AR guys at the 50 and 100 yard tables. Just follow the rules and strike up a conversation during "cease fires". You'll learn either a lot about your AR or a ton of baloney. But either way it's a fun way to break in your gun.
Old 02-13-2020, 8:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Most public ranges are full of AR’s and most of the RSO are knowledgeable. If you can make it out on a weekday the ranges are less hectic and usually have the weekday regulars. Be careful though, most shooters are very nice and if you show any interest in their gun they will probably invite you to shoot it!

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 02-13-2020, 9:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Maybe you should take the initiative. Some years back I started a monthly meet-up and shoot. I set it up basically every month for 2 years.

Then I had to take on other stuff and was unable to continue setting it up.

Find a local range you like, put out a thread in advance, and invite people.

ďIf you invite...they will comeĒ...eventually.

Good luck OP!

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Maybe you should take the initiative. Some years back I started a monthly meet-up and shoot. I set it up basically every month for 2 years.

Then I had to take on other stuff and was unable to continue setting it up.

Find a local range you like, put out a thread in advance, and invite people.

ďIf you invite...they will comeĒ...eventually.

Good luck OP!
LOL start this up again! I am also local in the bay area and I just got my AR.
Old 02-14-2020, 2:18 AM

I just built my ďfeaturelessĒ Ar (boo California) and want to go shoot it! Iím in San Josť if you put something together Iím in!
Old 02-14-2020, 2:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Los Altos R&GC was [usually] nice to shoot at a while back. Used to know some of the RSOs. Adam was legit, he ran a tight ship.

Sunnyvale R&GC was also decent, but itís been a while since Iíve been there.

Bay Area shooting kinda sucks. Itís sucked even harder since Chabot got shut down.

Best shooting in NorCal is Sac Valley.

Donít go to metcalf.
Old 02-14-2020, 4:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm open to a meet.
Do have to find a decent place to meet.
Yes someone has to take the initiative.
I still have to test a upper with rusted chamber(friggin nevada rains).
Old 02-14-2020, 11:29 AM

Why not metcalf?i live down the street from it lol
Old 02-14-2020, 11:59 AM

I like metcalf too, havent had any bad experiences. does get crowded but not too bad of a range.
Old 02-14-2020, 1:44 PM

Metcalf works fine, great place to shoot. Weekends can get crowded
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Endowment Life Member

PM me for your FrontSight needs.
Old 02-14-2020, 2:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Metcalf works fine, great place to shoot. Weekends can get crowded
Yeah but see a 50 mile drive from San Jose to highway 4 turns from 1 hour to 2 hours quick.
And ive worked in San jo, Newark, and fremont on the weekends.
I gotta say I will not commute to the south bay just to shoot.
Bad enough the corona virus is there but I hate people who go 60 in the fastlane, or people packed in a car in the carpool on the friggin weekends going 65.
Old 02-14-2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PachecoFTW View Post
Yeah but see a 50 mile drive from San Jose to highway 4 turns from 1 hour to 2 hours quick.
And ive worked in San jo, Newark, and fremont on the weekends.
I gotta say I will not commute to the south bay just to shoot.
Bad enough the corona virus is there but I hate people who go 60 in the fastlane, or people packed in a car in the carpool on the friggin weekends going 65.
What about Sunnyvale R&GC? Im in Fremont so im down for anywhere in the south bay haha.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:20 PM

I'm in town and will be at Sunnyvale R&GC on the rifle lanes 1st thing in the morning 2/15. Anyone is welcome. You might be in for a surprise.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member

Several years ago about a dozen or more calgunners created an online gaming clan. Several of the members were in norcal, some in socal. I used to organize shoots with all of the norcal guys back when Chabot was still open. It was a great location for everybody since it was fairly central to all of us. Can't find the group picture but it does exist somewhere...

Needless to say, we all had an amazing time sharing guns, ammo, and stories. The gaming clan has since dissolved, however some of us remain close friends to this day and talk/visit on a regular basis (daily in some cases). Our interest in guns have waned a bit, but we now share other hobbies like fishing and of course gaming still.

I think someone should definitely start a meet and greet like this again as it really created some good friendships and good shooting experiences. It might be a bit harder to get a large group of people to be able to shoot next to each other on the over-crowded ranges these days, but it's certainly worth a try.

Share guns, share ammo, share tips, education, stories, all that good stuff and it'll be worth the effort.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2020, 4:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
Several years ago about a dozen or more calgunners created an online gaming clan. Several of the members were in norcal, some in socal. I used to organize shoots with all of the norcal guys back when Chabot was still open. It was a great location for everybody since it was fairly central to all of us. Can't find the group picture but it does exist somewhere...

Needless to say, we all had an amazing time sharing guns, ammo, and stories. The gaming clan has since dissolved, however some of us remain close friends to this day and talk/visit on a regular basis (daily in some cases). Our interest in guns have waned a bit, but we now share other hobbies like fishing and of course gaming still.

I think someone should definitely start a meet and greet like this again as it really created some good friendships and good shooting experiences. It might be a bit harder to get a large group of people to be able to shoot next to each other on the over-crowded ranges these days, but it's certainly worth a try.

Share guns, share ammo, share tips, education, stories, all that good stuff and it'll be worth the effort.

I remember like 4-7 years back traffic wasnt bad on weekends. Sure some dips*** causing congestion but not enough like Fridays.
I would drive to sanjose almost every Friday at 530pm and it was a clean drive there and back. Not now.
I know once usi opens alot of us east bay guys will agree to meet in usi and concord has some good mex and pho spots. Sucks how life changes.
If anyone plays R6 siege I'm down for a CG clan
Old 02-15-2020, 4:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PachecoFTW View Post
I remember like 4-7 years back traffic wasnt bad on weekends. Sure some dips*** causing congestion but not enough like Fridays.
I would drive to sanjose almost every Friday at 530pm and it was a clean drive there and back. Not now.
I know once usi opens alot of us east bay guys will agree to meet in usi and concord has some good mex and pho spots. Sucks how life changes.
If anyone plays R6 siege I'm down for a CG clan
I too am waiting eagerly for USI to re-open. I'm tired of only shooting at a 25 yd indoor range only since I can't stand the Livermore range.

Our clan was originally made for Battlefield Bad Company 2. We ended up playing competitively all the way up to the end of Battlefield 3. At one point our clan was nearly 25-30 strong, full of calguns members.

Here's a couple old YT videos I made of match recordings if anyone's interested. We didn't win much, but it was a good old time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwOEfm9d_e4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unGefy8jwUM&t=418s
Old 02-15-2020, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdle View Post
Los Altos R&GC was [usually] nice to shoot at a while back. Used to know some of the RSOs. Adam was legit, he ran a tight ship.

Sunnyvale R&GC was also decent, but itís been a while since Iíve been there.

Bay Area shooting kinda sucks. Itís sucked even harder since Chabot got shut down.

Best shooting in NorCal is Sac Valley.

Donít go to metcalf.
Adam seemed to be the only one with any common sense at Los Gatos rod and gun club.

I had to go to speak to him after some dingleberry RSO was getting on me for shooting HP standing, sitting, prone. Havenít been in years but Adam will educate the RSOs as necessary.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post

Pretty cool. I work for a gaming company and dabble online from time to time.

To the OP, depends how big of a group we are looking at. When Chabot was around, it was easy to get larger groups together. The remaining ranges are pretty tightly spaced to maneuver a group. Los Altos would be OK, but logistically far for most. If you're talking about <10 peeps, the remaining outdoor ranges would work (Metcalf, Livermore, Sunnyvale) would work. Personally, I don't get out to the outdoor ranges much anymore since the fixed mag law, but if you get something going, I certainly would make an effort to meet up and help out new shooters.

BTW, if you end up at Los Altos, they are really serious on that 3 MPH parking lot rule. Just FYI.

Last edited by Thrashard340; 02-16-2020 at 10:22 AM..
Old 02-16-2020, 11:42 AM

Why would you not go to an outdoor rage because of the fixed mag part of the law?

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 02-16-2020, 5:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Would a weekday work or after daylight savings starts say from 5 to 9 PM on a weekday or weekend night? I ask because if we have enough peeps Livermore can be rented.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 02-16-2020, 10:16 PM

Went to metcalf today to shoot my featureless it was kind of packed but not horribly. Maybe a weekday would work a lot better less people?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Weekdays would be way less crowded.. But I think most of us have normal M-F 9-5 jobs?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:24 PM

Yea Iím sure thatís the case for most. I work graveyard security so Iím free all day lol
Old 02-17-2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrain408 View Post
Went to metcalf today to shoot my featureless it was kind of packed but not horribly. Maybe a weekday would work a lot better less people?
I have never been to this range. I need to check it out. How do you like it ? Driving to Sunnyvale R & G is too far lol.
Old 02-17-2020, 4:11 PM

I volunteer as an RO at Richmond R&GC. We'd certainly welcome a group of Calgunners at our public rifle line. Please keep me in the loop. If there is some sort of PM or group e-mail please include me. I'd be delighted to join in.

With the closing of Chabot, USI and Bullseye(indoor) in Marin, we've gotten much busier. Weekdays are easier. But if you get there in the AM, even Sundays are not typically too busy. If we're talking ten people, that gets a little more complicated as we only have thirteen lanes on the rifle line.
Old 02-17-2020, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarchitect View Post
I volunteer as an RO at Richmond R&GC. We'd certainly welcome a group of Calgunners at our public rifle line. Please keep me in the loop. If there is some sort of PM or group e-mail please include me. I'd be delighted to join in.

With the closing of Chabot, USI and Bullseye(indoor) in Marin, we've gotten much busier. Weekdays are easier. But if you get there in the AM, even Sundays are not typically too busy. If we're talking ten people, that gets a little more complicated as we only have thirteen lanes on the rifle line.
When we did our meets at the Chabot range we just shared 3 or 4 lanes between 10 to 12 people. Since there was a big social aspect of our meets nobody felt like they missed out on any amount of shooting while we were there. Take turns shooting, when you're done just back up behind the firing line and converse with the others waiting their turn. It was a good system.

Old 02-17-2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
Would a weekday work or after daylight savings starts say from 5 to 9 PM on a weekday or weekend night? I ask because if we have enough peeps Livermore can be rented.

I'd be interested. please reach out if you organize something. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
Why would you not go to an outdoor rage because of the fixed mag part of the law?
Personal preference. Took the fun out of shooting the AR for me. Add that my favorite outdoor range was Chabot. I haven't had much luck getting to the remaining outdoor range without experiencing long wait times. I still swear the the AR as my preferred HD weapon. So I am not hating on the AR.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member

Metcalf is fine. Just be sure to get there when they first open, otherwise you'll have to wait for a lane to open up since there are no time limits. This is more true for rifle than anything else. 15-25 yard pistol lines typically don't have much of a wait. Sunnyvale R&G is a bit of a drive for me, but just as with all things, planning ahead and getting somewhere early makes all the difference. If you need help with an AR I can meet you at Metcalf this weekend.

Last edited by Dr. Peter Venkman; 02-18-2020 at 12:56 AM..
Old 02-20-2020, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Peter Venkman View Post
Metcalf is fine. Just be sure to get there when they first open, otherwise you'll have to wait for a lane to open up since there are no time limits. This is more true for rifle than anything else. 15-25 yard pistol lines typically don't have much of a wait. Sunnyvale R&G is a bit of a drive for me, but just as with all things, planning ahead and getting somewhere early makes all the difference. If you need help with an AR I can meet you at Metcalf this weekend.
I just got back from Metcalf. I enjoyed it! Everyone was nice. I just built my Ar and would love to learn more on how to shoot it properly.