Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-21-2021, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

Default AB-1478 Firearms: unsafe handguns.(2021-2022)

In the prior legislative session the morons in Sac town disabled microstamping from a requirement for roster inclusion ..

This bill was queued to fix the mistake and require microstamping in two places till July 2022 (instead of no places till then)

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...02120220AB1478
Old 02-21-2021, 6:25 PM

cool
Old 02-22-2021, 7:52 AM

Wait what? So by the letter of the law, microstamping isn't a requirement again until 2022?

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...r=4.&article=4.
Quote:
31910. As used in this part, “unsafe handgun” means any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, for which any of the following is true:
(a) For a revolver:
(1) It does not have a safety device that, either automatically in the case of a double-action firing mechanism, or by manual operation in the case of a single-action firing mechanism, causes the hammer to retract to a point where the firing pin does not rest upon the primer of the cartridge.
(2) It does not meet the firing requirement for handguns.
(3) It does not meet the drop safety requirement for handguns.
(b) For a pistol:
(1) It does not have a positive manually operated safety device, as determined by standards relating to imported guns promulgated by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
(2) It does not meet the firing requirement for handguns.
(3) It does not meet the drop safety requirement for handguns.
(4) Commencing July 1, 2022, for all centerfire semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it does not have a chamber load indicator.
(5) Commencing July 1, 2022, for all centerfire or rimfire semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it does not have a magazine disconnect mechanism if it has a detachable magazine.
(6) (A) Commencing July 1, 2022, for all semiautomatic pistols that are not already listed on the roster pursuant to Section 32015, it is not designed and equipped with a microscopic array of characters used to identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in one or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired.
(B) The Attorney General may also approve a method of equal or greater reliability and effectiveness in identifying the specific serial number of a firearm from spent cartridge casings discharged by that firearm than that which is set forth in this paragraph, to be thereafter required as otherwise set forth by this paragraph where the Attorney General certifies that this new method is also unencumbered by any patent restrictions. Approval by the Attorney General shall include notice of that fact via regulations adopted by the Attorney General for purposes of implementing that method for purposes of this paragraph.
(C) The microscopic array of characters required by this section shall not be considered the name of the maker, model, manufacturer’s number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, within the meaning of Sections 23900 and 23920.
(7) The Department of Justice shall, for each semiautomatic pistol newly added to the roster pursuant to Section 32015, remove from the roster exactly three semiautomatic pistols lacking one or more of the applicable features described in paragraphs (4), (5), and (6) of subdivision (b) and added to the roster before July 1, 2022. Notwithstanding those paragraphs, each semiautomatic pistol removed from the roster pursuant to this subdivision shall be considered an unsafe handgun. The Attorney General shall remove semiautomatic pistols from the roster pursuant to this subdivision in reverse order of their dates of addition to the roster, beginning with the semiautomatic pistol added to the roster on the earliest date and continuing until each semiautomatic pistol on the roster includes each of the applicable features described in those paragraphs.
(Amended by Stats. 2020, Ch. 292, Sec. 2. (AB 2847) Effective January 1, 2021.)
Also, is it just me or does 31910 section 7 make no sense? "A handgun is unsafe if it is a pistol and the following is true: the DOJ shall remove 3 pistols for every 1 added."

WTB: Savage 99 SN#507612 (buying back grandpa's rifle)
Old 02-22-2021, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronW View Post
Also, is it just me or does 31910 section 7 make no sense? "A handgun is unsafe if it is a pistol and the following is true: the DOJ shall remove 3 pistols for every 1 added."
I'd like to hear the CA AG explain to Judge Benitez how a handgun that was "safe" last year, through no action of its own or its manufacturer, suddenly now becomes "unsafe".
Old 02-24-2021, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
I'd like to hear the CA AG explain to Judge Benitez how a handgun that was "safe" last year, through no action of its own or its manufacturer, suddenly now becomes "unsafe".
Or how a gun becomes unsafe because the manufacturer doesn't pay an annual extortion fee.
Old 02-22-2021, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wait what? So by the letter of the law, microstamping isn't a requirement again until 2022?
Yeah, I agree "Wait what ?"

Microstamping is not required by law till July 2022.
Old 02-22-2021, 8:46 AM

Is this just an attempt to moot the case before Benitez ? I bet we won't have any of it. But it could give cover to the 9th.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:49 AM

Does this not also include chamber indicator and magazine disconnect?

To me there is no reason Glock could not apply to get all gen 5 handguns added...

Last edited by NorCalRT; 02-22-2021 at 10:52 AM..
Old 02-22-2021, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRT View Post
Does this not also include chamber indicator and magazine disconnect?

To me there is no reason Glock could not apply to get all gen 5 handguns added...
There is another code section 32010 which prevents a gun from getting drop tested which doesn't have LCI, magazine disconnect, and external safety.

The changes didn't change that other code section, so this only effects micostamping.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:59 PM

Seem this person Assembly Member Chiu is obsessed with handgun roster, anyone know why he is so nuts?
Old 02-22-2021, 7:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz74 View Post
Seem this person Assembly Member Chiu is obsessed with handgun roster, anyone know why he is so nuts?
He's a Californian anti-gun leftist.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 02-22-2021, 1:57 PM

If I were Sig Sauer, I'd get the 320 FCG in a CA-compliant body on the roster ASAP.

Old 02-23-2021, 3:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If I were Sig Sauer, I'd get the 320 FCG in a CA-compliant body on the roster ASAP.
only issue is will CA recognize that only the FCG is the "firearm"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 02-23-2021, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
only issue is will CA recognize that only the FCG is the "firearm"

It has to be a complete gun with all the features required, less microstamping.
Old 02-22-2021, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

A while ago I asked in the "How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me" section if someone could make a gun with microstamping.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1637167

In the thread RickD427 stated that because of the way the law is written a non-FFL can make a gun and submit it for the Roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
Yes, it would be possible.

But you would have to build at least three copies and submit them for DOJ-certified lab testing. Please refer to Penal Code section 31905 and note the absence of any special provision exempting personal builders.
So it's possible for a private person to make a gun and apply for roster inclusion.
Old 02-22-2021, 9:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
A while ago I asked in the "How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me" section if someone could make a gun with microstamping.

In the thread RickD427 stated that because of the way the law is written a non-FFL can make a gun and submit it for the Roster.

So it's possible for a private person to make a gun and apply for roster inclusion.
Anyone know how to incorporate a magazine disconnect into a Polymer80 or P320 FCU?
Old 02-23-2021, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post

Quote:
So, is it ONLY the manufacturer that can submit a gun for testing or can a private citizen submit a gun he did not manufacture?
Old 02-23-2021, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock Tom View Post
So, is it ONLY the manufacturer that can submit a gun for testing or can a private citizen submit a gun he did not manufacture?

I can't say for certain, but I think you have to be the manufacture.
Old 02-23-2021, 7:09 AM

The only thing "unsafe" is a democrat on the loose. My gun sits ready for action on a table. in 30 years is has not jumped to attention and has shot no one.
Can you define a "safe" handgun for humans to use?
Old 03-28-2021, 6:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bt Doctur View Post
The only thing "unsafe" is a democrat on the loose.
You have plenty of them in CA.
Quote:
My gun sits ready for action on a table. in 30 years is has not jumped to attention and has shot no one.
Can you define a "safe" handgun for humans to use?
Yes, they are the ones outside of CA.
Old 02-23-2021, 4:32 PM

They'd need a grip frame and slide combination with a LCI and magazine disconnect safety to sell it in CA. Maybe a .22lr version to keep it cheaper. You could then pop out the FCG and build whatever 320 you want.

Old 02-24-2021, 4:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

It is a trap ladies and gentlemen. The first company that does get their model on the list will create a need for three pistols to be removed. However, those manufacturers that had their pistols removed can reinstate their pistols by retesting. As each one does, then 9 more pistols come off the list. The insideously unconstitutional process is designed to exponentially eat our options away from within until there is nothing left.

I do not care to be the one to start the chain reaction. I would not encourage any other manufacturer to do so either. Other options are en route. Hang on.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
ONLINE STORE: http://franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine (DFM), and the CA7, CA11, and CA12 Rostered AR Pistols!
Old 02-24-2021, 8:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinarmory View Post
Other options are en route. Hang on.
You people really know how to blue ball a guy
Old 02-25-2021, 5:33 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedsoyboy View Post
You people really know how to blue ball a guy
LOL! Sorry. That was a breadcrumb for CADOJ. Think of it as FUD for their consumption (except we are sincere and always follow through.) Its kind of like saying "check" before you're done moving your pawn.

www.franklinarmory.com
info@franklinarmory.com
ONLINE STORE: http://franklinarmory.com
Franklin Armory - Manufacturer of Quality, California Legal AR's, the F17 Series rimfire rifles in 17 WSM, the Drop-in Fixed Magazine (DFM), and the CA7, CA11, and CA12 Rostered AR Pistols!
Old 02-25-2021, 12:06 PM
Spent $299 for this text!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
It is a trap ladies and gentlemen. The first company that does get their model on the list will create a need for three pistols to be removed. However, those manufacturers that had their pistols removed can reinstate their pistols by retesting. As each one does, then 9 more pistols come off the list. The insideously unconstitutional process is designed to exponentially eat our options away from within until there is nothing left.
Yep. If a democrat in CA is trying to pass a law that, on it's face, seems to be pro-2A, it's a trap. This bill is no exception. It's a backdoor scheme to further cripple our handgun availability as much as they can. Hopefully, every manufacturer will see this for what it is, and none of them submit anything new for the roster.

Old 03-27-2021, 6:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

I do not care to be the one to start the chain reaction. I would not encourage any other manufacturer to do so either. Other options are en route. Hang on.

Thank you for seeing through this veil.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-24-2021, 7:00 PM

SIG should not give an inch by making a roster compliant P320 to appease Kalifornia. Instead they should support the average gunowners behind the line by promoting the 80%, by making slides and frames more readily available. God bless America and f**k Gavin Newsom.
Old 03-12-2021, 6:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Won’t renewals trigger the same thing if that renewed design meets the new requirement set it becomes an “enhanced roster entry” or whatever. So we really need to petition the manufacturers to not start adding these features or it all snowballs.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
Old 04-09-2021, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

Queued for Public Safety Commitee 04/20/21

They also duplicate the fix in AB-876

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1695440
Old 10-09-2021, 8:23 PM

This never made it anywhere; we'll see if it comes back for 2022.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:32 PM
Calguns Addict

"This bill would preclude a firearm from the list if it doesn’t have a chamber load indicator or magazine disconnect mechanism and wasn’t on the roster as of 2007."

Where there any guns added after 2007 that didn't have lci and md?

It reads that they would be removed from the roster.