Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 02-05-2019, 3:59 PM

Default Randall Made Knives Factory Visit

I’m in Orlando, Florida for a trade show this week and made my way over to the Randall Made retail showroom, production factory and museum today to check it out and put in an order for a #28 Woodsman. Randall Made’s current lead time is 6-years; yes, you can get them in 14-18 months by going though a Randall dealer, but I want one that’s ordered at the factory for my collection.

Super nice people at Randall Made, I talked for a while with Bo Randall’s grandson who greeted my friend and I at their museum and walked us through the first half before another visitor took him back to the front desk; Bo’s grandson was wearing a Springfield Armory Inc. baseball cap today in the museum, he likes their 1911 pistols.

Sorry, I didn’t take any pictures inside the museum, but it’s very impressive and housed in the Randall family home, the museum is at least 2000 sq. ft. and has production, one-offs and prototype knives and other edged weapons made by Randall Made as well as Bo Randall’s personal collection of pocket folders, fixed blade knives, bayonets, swords and spears, hatchets and axes, throwing edge and spike pieces and much more. There was no charge to tour the Randall Made museum.

The factory is at the end of a long driveway on the east side of Orlando, the first 1/4 mile off the main drag is densely landscaped, if there was no sign on the street you’d never know it’s back there...

The production shop is behind the showroom, the Randall home and museum is 150-yards down the road.

This is the #28 Woodsman (4.5” blade length), I customized the one I ordered today w/a green Micarta handle, a nickel silver hilt and nickel silver wrist throng furrule. The man who took my order advised me on Randall authorized dealers and gave me a business card of one of their preferred dealers in Illinois who sells at factory retail, unlike most Randall Made dealers, PM me if you want the contact info..

MM

http://i68.tinypic.com/a45y0h.jpg
Old 02-05-2019, 7:34 PM

Bo Randallís grandson gave me the link to this video about his Grandfather

Old 02-06-2019, 6:06 PM

Thank you for sharing this
Old 02-06-2019, 10:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I can't drive to So. California without stopping at Nordic Knives (Solvang) and hurting my credit card on a Randall (or two).
Old 02-07-2019, 12:56 PM

I think they (Nordic) moved to Idaho??
Old 02-10-2019, 8:49 PM

I've bought two from AG Russel for good prices. An attack model and combat companion. I actually use them too haha.
Old 02-10-2019, 8:53 PM
Veteran Member

Neat, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You're right (Hairball). I guess I'll have to drive to LA through Idaho now!!!
Old 02-12-2019, 1:33 PM

My Favorite Store: Randall Made Knives

"In a vestigial orange grove in Orlando, Fla., is a converted cinder-block ranch-style house, now the factory and shop for Randall Made Knives, arguably the best -- handmade knives in the world.

Let us hazard that you do not need or want a best-known, maybe best handmade knife in the world. You merely want to see what all the flibber is about, maybe talk to Gary Randall, the proprietor, who bought this 60-year-old business from his father, Bo.

And something happens. You are in the presence of the unavoidably authentic. In a glass counter are gleaming things with elegant lines, which rather than suggesting weapons or tools of carnage fairly resonate with a solid, humming, jeweled integrity. This must be what it's like to be a bride in Tiffany's, you think, faintly out of breath and cotton-mouthy. A man appears who lets you handle the knives. He identifies them as to model number (there are 50 models) but otherwise says nothing salesmanlike. He does not have to. He does not, you eerily gather, even want to. You may not, in his view, you more eerily gather, qualify to own one of these things, somewhat as you might not qualify to own a Thoroughbred horse.

You leave with not one but three knives you do not need but must have -- the second a purer excess than the first, the third for your father-in-law and insisted upon by your 9-year-old daughter, also breathless in the face of this hard beauty. Your Visa receipt for $614.8O is in your happy pocket; the knives and their sheaths, wrapped up in white butcher's paper like sausages, lie on the car seat like diminutive but full citizens, emanating strong vapors of leather and tool steel and the promise of that which will not fail. Invincibility is in the air. You stop the car on your way off the property, get out and pick some oranges. No one will contest you. ''When Grampa dies,'' your daughter says, ''can I have his knife?''

From the New York Times, April 6, 1997, https://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/06/m...de-knives.html

The difference in the experience today is that the museum is there now and you can't drive away with knives, they must be ordered. Gary Randall might still greet you in the showroom, he greeted my friend and I and Gary took my order.

KR

Old 02-12-2019, 3:25 PM

I like both my Randall and my Survival knife but favor this survival knife over this Randall. Don't make sense to you? well the survival knife in this picture saved my life and that's why.

Randall.jpg
Old 02-12-2019, 5:26 PM

Elk Hunter, you can't leave us hanging like that...please tell us more
Old 02-13-2019, 2:52 PM

Used in combat in 1969.
Old 02-13-2019, 4:07 PM

i understand.
Old 02-13-2019, 8:23 PM

Just before I enlisted I bought a knife like this eventually my mother sent it in a care package to me while in Vietnam. Going through customs on the way home it was taken from me. They said it wasn't issue so I couldn't take it home with me. This is the replacement I bought years later it is the exact same thing I lost there and a darn good knife. It's not a real good hunting knife. I'm sure the op will be very happy with his Randall they are very good knives I like mine a lot even if I have not used it a lot. They are so well made, it's just not like most any production knife it feels good to the hand.

Knife.jpg

Last edited by elk hunter; 02-13-2019 at 8:29 PM..
Old 02-14-2019, 5:50 AM

elk hunter, that sucks that they took it from you, what branch of the service were you in? Did they relieve you of all your non-issue gear or just the knife?

While this isn’t a Randall Made knife (Dad was partial to Ralph Bone’s knives and I have several of them) it is the issue fighting knife my father took to Okinawa in ‘65 and Saigon in ‘67, my Dad was a USMC officer and ran bakeries for the U.S. Marine Corps from 1959 to 1968, he “acquired” this Camillus ‘Ka-Bar’ sometime during his service and while I know he never used it in combat it was a part of him during that time and for the remainder of his years, he and it never parted ways until he died in 2000. When I say it was a part of him it was his EDC at times when hunting, fishing, camping, he stored it in the trunk of his car for several decades. I just recently cleaned and conditioned the leather on both the handle and sheath. When I hold it I feel connected to him.

It’s one of the sharpest knives I own, even the front top edge is a razor, Dad sharpened it last, I’ve never touched the edge with a stone.

Mac

Last edited by MeatyMac; 02-15-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Old 02-14-2019, 4:51 PM

I was in the U.S.Army 1st Aviation Brigade. They got most everything that they said was not going home with me, one item I would have really like to bring home was a captured .45 acp 1911 pistol. Ho well so it goes, going home was pretty important to me. Always nice to see a good KABAR, I have one I picked up some time back. This one came from 3rd Marine on Oki I still have the release order somewhere around here. One went to the sandbox and the other went as a gift to a Vietnam vet Marine.

KABAR2.jpg

KABAR1.jpg

Last edited by elk hunter; 02-14-2019 at 4:53 PM..
Old 02-15-2019, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
Ho well so it goes, going home was pretty important to me.
I remember my parents friends coming home and I still remember a few who didn’t, I’m forever indebted having not served myself. Thanks, elk hunter.

Mac
Old 02-15-2019, 7:15 PM

Your quiet welcome sir.
Regards
elk
Old 02-17-2019, 6:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatyMac View Post
Randall Madeís current lead time is 6-years;
That's over the top! No metallic cutting instrument is worth the cost and time of those. Last time I stopped at Nordic, the salesperson told me that most of his Randall customers buy them as a show and tell items and use a regular knife for normal use.
Old 02-18-2019, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
That's over the top! No metallic cutting instrument is worth the cost and time of those. Last time I stopped at Nordic, the salesperson told me that most of his Randall customers buy them as a show and tell items and use a regular knife for normal use.
I received my invoice for the #28 Woodsman I ordered, order date 2/5/2019 - scheduled ship date 7/4/2024, so 5 years & 5 months...(they probably won't ship on July 4th, so give it an extra day or two)...

Quote:
"you can get them in 14-18 months by going though a Randall dealer, but I want one that’s ordered at the factory for my collection."
Maybe you missed that in my original post...

I have a Randall Made GTR I've used while hunting for the past 34 years.

MM

Last edited by MeatyMac; 02-18-2019 at 10:31 AM..