Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2018, 6:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Good cerakote in San Diego?

I had a 1911 cerakoted by a shop in San Diego who sourced it to a certified applicator and long story short, it looks terrible. Just aweful. It has striations in it, bubbling and grainy spots and I wish I had never taken it there and I feel like I wasted $200. It absolutely left me with a feeling of regret ever getting it cerakoted.

I took it back to the shop a few days after picking up my parts to show the owner who then sent it back to the applicator because I was very unhappy and I was called by the applicator himself who insisted it was the finish and consistency of the metal which i believe to be false. This gun was originally blued and then parkerized and then had Gunkote on it yet these striations and bubbles only became apparent after the cerakote had been applied and look identical from what I’ve seen when someone uses old cerakote, has moisture in the air line, or doesn’t have the right pressure.

The only reason I was able to figure out who the applicator was is because I looked up the phone number he called me from. He had great reviews, so not sure what happened in my case.

Long story short, I need to have a slide and frame blasted and recoated Black. Can someone recommend a local shop who does good work? I’d prefer not to have to shop this anywhere.

Last edited by FCOD; 12-15-2018 at 7:12 AM..
Old 12-15-2018, 7:55 AM

Gunfighter Tactical. Ask for Ryan, say William sent you. They do amazing work.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Call Brandon 619-832-1464.
Old 12-24-2018, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks guys. I talked to Ryan yesterday at Gunfighter and need to see if I can get my pistol into him sometime after the new year. This cerakote job is ghastly and just driving me insane every time I look at it.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just picked up my 1911 from Gunfighter and these guys did a subpurb job on it. I will seriously never take a project to cerakote anyone else moving forward. Thanks for the recommendation and if anywhere else is looking for good cerakote, these guys did a kick *** job!

They charged less than the original shop did AND they re-fitted it for me after the finishing which was something the other shop didn’t do. In the end, I still spent less at Gunfighter.

Sucks I’m out the $225 from the other shop, but I guess lesson learned. They did reaffirm my suspicions that there was nothing wrong with the metal on my gun, the other applicator just did a crap job on it and tried to pass the buck to it being the metal of the gun.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Awesome to hear, i had a great cerakote done by GFT as well. Plus, they always have been stand up guys
Old 01-18-2019, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehjosheh View Post
Awesome to hear, i had a great cerakote done by GFT as well. Plus, they always have been stand up guys
I really admire Ryan as a business owner and a human being. Dude is seriously one of the most stand up guys I’ve ever met in a guns store. He will legitimately do right by all his customers, or go down trying.
Old 01-18-2019, 6:31 PM

PICS?! I'm gonna have my CZ 75BD cerakoted by them in the near future as well.
Old 01-24-2019, 7:50 PM

Default Good cerakote in San Diego?

I would also recommend gunfighter tactical as well. They can also send your pistol to (Coating Services AKA the Titanium Gun) for a Titanium nitride coating. That’s what I ended up doing and it came out great. Much better than Ceracote thinner and more durable. They have gold three different black options and silver. I went with silver. I personally hate Ceracote. I had a really bad experience as well in Dan Diego. West Coast Weapon works. Mine was really bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by kennymallory1; 01-26-2019 at 9:10 AM..
Old 01-24-2019, 8:18 PM

I know Op already got his pistol cerakoted but I went through Mark @ PWG. He did a good job and I’m very pleased with it. Check out my P229 scorpion clone.
(Yes I know, they’re 2 different pistols, I bought 2 of them at the time..but I was just showing a before and after).

http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1348849

Ever since the whole photo bucket thing I never knew how to post pics again. Sorry.