Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-13-2019, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

No, it wouldn’t be possible to bug out of most of so cal if everyone was going at once. Forget about it. The roads can’t handle it. All you need is a 2 week supply. Within 7 days either helps coming or the world is ending.

In reality we have fire and earthquakes. Both are fairly localized. It doesn’t take much to drive a 100 miles to a unaffected area. Keeping a full tank of gas, water, some cash, and maybe a fuel siphon is all you need. Your basic camping gear will work for shelter. Surviving so cal isn’t complicated. Thousands of homeless bug out every day with just a shopping cart.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 10-13-2019 at 8:15 PM..
Old 10-13-2019, 11:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
I've been spending too much time building my BOB and just finally started to think about where I'd go if I needed to bug out. I sit in traffic going to work and traffic on Fridays getting home is pretty bad. This got me thinking about whether or not it would even be possible to bug out if I needed to. Assuming you live in the city, what are your thoughts on being able to get out of the city? I guess if you decided early on to leave it might be possible?
Think about what the mountain dwellers will do to keep city folk out.

If I were one I would fell logs on the road for starters.

Last edited by SnWnMe; 10-13-2019 at 11:14 PM..
Old 10-13-2019, 11:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Meh.
No place I want to bug out to.
I win or die at home
Old 10-14-2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Think about what the mountain dwellers will do to keep city folk out.

If I were one I would fell logs on the road for starters.
All we have to do is block the bridges.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I've been spending too much time building my BOB and just finally started to think about where I'd go if I needed to bug out. I sit in traffic going to work and traffic on Fridays getting home is pretty bad. This got me thinking about whether or not it would even be possible to bug out if I needed to. Assuming you live in the city, what are your thoughts on being able to get out of the city? I guess if you decided early on to leave it might be possible?
Avoid the roads and take the rails. That is to say take the train route out of the city. You will need some heavy tires and you will need a 4x4 truck. Certainly need to map out your route out of the city. You will need to speed like a maniac to avoid the conjestion. Most cars can't handle the rough rocks near the train tracks so there won't be much used by others. Where I liver, there are rail road tracks that go right up to the mountains so I can avoid crowds and traffic.
Old 10-15-2019, 7:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
City dwellers.....Is bugging out possible??

Yes. You've either got to be THE FIRST ONE outta Dodge, OR...

... be able to ride out the shiitestorm for about 2 weeks. Once the unprepared have died off, and traffic is done, THEN... you can meander your way outta the city.

ON foot.
Old 10-15-2019, 9:34 AM

Aside from a sailboat in the marina, there is almost No chance of bugging out (which I do not have).

I have plywood to board up anything needing extra securing, and supplies for a month.

If that doesn’t do it...

Thomas Paine

Last edited by LAKA90034; 10-15-2019 at 10:03 AM..
Old 10-15-2019, 10:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGUY View Post
Avoid the roads and take the rails. That is to say take the train route out of the city. You will need some heavy tires and you will need a 4x4 truck. Certainly need to map out your route out of the city. You will need to speed like a maniac to avoid the conjestion. Most cars can't handle the rough rocks near the train tracks so there won't be much used by others. Where I liver, there are rail road tracks that go right up to the mountains so I can avoid crowds and traffic.
IDK. Some rail line areas are pretty narrow. Wouldn’t take much to bugger them up. And I sure wouldn’t want to be trapped there or passing when a train came through.

And just getting to the tracks in a big city is no guarantee. Surface streets are clogged from just picking up school kids. Imagine what panic traffic will look like.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Rail tracks oftentimes are located in the worst parts of town. Not a place to travel along during times of unrest.
Old 10-15-2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
In short. NO. Too many people with NO WHERE to go. This isn't the East Coast. Outside our cities is DESERT! No water or resources to support you. Plan to bug in and wait for help. As discussed many many times, there just is NO natural disaster so large as to destroy the entire governmental system. SOMEONE will be coming in to get you be it State of Feds. It's all a matter of time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvvc3zCjLPk

Cactus Eating -Desert Survival- Food & Water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcfvZocnrV8

Rattlesnake Catch and Cook - Step by Step Instructions

Last edited by Harry Ono; 10-15-2019 at 3:04 PM..
Old 10-15-2019, 6:01 PM

It’s going to suck to exit with the exodus, expect people to follow your every move day or night. Every path you thought of will have people there who had the same ideas you had. River beds and railroads will definitely be occupied and possibly just as congested as highways. If you’re trying to get to your secret location it may not be so secret once you get there.

City life sucks especially here in L.A. We have a homeless population who’s well established, have a hierarchy and a set society already in place. Some are seasoned criminals, formed gangs and will be a force to reckon with in a chaotic time. I’m sure these gangs will have huge numbers as well as acquiring arms. Trying to flee cities with this element will be dangerous and people will have no choice to cross through dangerous criminal territory and possibly pay a tax if not completely robbed of goods.

Timing is everything but a plan and back up plan(s) is going to give you the advantage to survive a catastrophe, stay or go, know your options and limitations. Plan accordingly, look out your window along the direction you plan on leaving. Always think worse case scenario.

Last edited by SCVlongstroke; 10-18-2019 at 5:19 AM..
Old 10-15-2019, 7:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL.BAR View Post
In short. NO. Too many people with NO WHERE to go. This isn't the East Coast. Outside our cities is DESERT! No water or resources to support you. Plan to bug in and wait for help. As discussed many many times, there just is NO natural disaster so large as to destroy the entire governmental system. SOMEONE will be coming in to get yoube it State of Feds. It's all a matter of time.
Yeah, you just sit tight. Someone from Santa Ana, Fullerton or Anaheim will come to get you CalBar. they might not speak English though. Good luck.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 10-15-2019, 9:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Print out a folder now as the net might be down

Use google maps to identify all homes with pools
Have a means to turn pool water into drinkable water

Stock food you and your family want to eat.

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-21-2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post

Use google maps to identify all homes with pools
Have a means to turn pool water into drinkable water

EVERY HOME has a water heater containing 40-60-80+ gallons of potable water. Every apt./condo bldg. will have multiple heaters with hundreds/thousands of gallons of water.

Ya know, I really don't think too many people have the sense to survive a 2-week emergency if all power, water, communication and food stops.
Old 10-21-2019, 8:55 PM

Location, location and location. I live by one state park with a lot hills and water tower and one regional park with decent size lake. If there anything happens I should able to drive into the hills and bug out.
Old 10-21-2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
EVERY HOME has a water heater containing 40-60-80+ gallons of potable water. Every apt./condo bldg. will have multiple heaters with hundreds/thousands of gallons of water.
Not true. Our house has an in-line (aka tankless) water heater, holds MAYBE 2 gallons. Damned things are popular and are replacing the tank-type.

I personally prefer the tank, but given the configuration of the house, tankless is pretty much required.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
Old 10-22-2019, 10:31 AM

My father in law had a large cabin in Bear Valley (Alpine Co.) that we said would be out Bug out location from Silicon Valley. Talking to locals, they laughed and said at the first sign of trouble, they would be dropping trees across Hwy 4 to keep flat-landers out. I live in a more rural area now, but bug-in and hunker-down is plan.
Old 10-22-2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieppe42 View Post
My father in law had a large cabin in Bear Valley (Alpine Co.) that we said would be out Bug out location from Silicon Valley. Talking to locals, they laughed and said at the first sign of trouble, they would be dropping trees across Hwy 4 to keep flat-landers out. I live in a more rural area now, but bug-in and hunker-down is plan.
In a SHTF bug out situation I’d want to be far away from novice campers and trees. I can only imagine how many forest fires will be started accidentally and intentionally during mad times
Old 10-22-2019, 5:18 PM

Won't be possible, highway will be jammed up (assuming they are intact) with unprepared people trying to escape. Instead, button up for a couple weeks with your own preps and then leave once the smoke clears.
Old 10-22-2019, 5:53 PM

I have a off grid cabin and some land in the mountains but I have no illusion that getting there will even be possible. I spend a lot of time there so I just make sure that the water tank/propane is always full and there is a week of food at least at all times - in case SHTF while I’m there. I can hunt up there and I always have a rifle or shotgun with me. Here in The city, it’s probably staying put. We always have enough water and I have 15 fruit trees so trying to get on a freeway and go 100 miles doesn’t make a ton of sense.