Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-14-2021, 8:42 AM

Learning is half the battle. Glad you sorted your issues out. Time for the next build?
Old 01-14-2021, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Holy carbon constipation Batman!!!

All that carbon is not normal malfunction in an AR. Gas pressure blows it clear with every shot. Something else was in play here.

My WAG is that some numb nut used a pipe cleaner and magic lube to "clean" the gas tube/system.
Or...
The ammo used was some funky hand load/powder combo that wasn't designated for AR/semi auto ammo.

I have a super high mileage AR that has never stopped due to a problem shown in the pic.

Interested to see other's WAG's get posted.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 01-14-2021, 9:08 AM

Glad you're up and running. Kudos to all the cal gunners who lended a hand.
Old 01-14-2021, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. I probably would have given the seller an earful by now!
Old 01-14-2021, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

It's frustrating when something is not working, but there is always a solution. It seems like you were patient and methodical, and went to the right people, and now it's fixed.

I can't believe that gas tube... I don't even know how it is possible for it to get clogged like that. The good news is... it works now!!
Old 01-14-2021, 8:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
It's frustrating when something is not working, but there is always a solution. It seems like you were patient and methodical, and went to the right people, and now it's fixed.

I can't believe that gas tube... I don't even know how it is possible for it to get clogged like that. The good news is... it works now!!
The only time I have seen clogging of a gas tube like that is when people use a 22lr conversion kit with a chamber adapter in a typical 223/5.56 barrel.
The lead from 22lr bullets will clog up a gas tube.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 01-14-2021, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Glad you got it fixed but wow that is one dirty gas tube. We'll never know, but I wonder if it was eastern-bloc steel cased ammo?
He bought it off a cal gunner. Letís invite said dude to Unfold the mystery.
Old 01-15-2021, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcheung2 View Post
Glad you got it fixed but wow that is one dirty gas tube. We'll never know, but I wonder if it was eastern-bloc steel cased ammo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Holy carbon constipation Batman!!!

All that carbon is not normal malfunction in an AR. Gas pressure blows it clear with every shot. Something else was in play here.

My WAG is that some numb nut used a pipe cleaner and magic lube to "clean" the gas tube/system.
Or...
The ammo used was some funky hand load/powder combo that wasn't designated for AR/semi auto ammo.

I have a super high mileage AR that has never stopped due to a problem shown in the pic.

Interested to see other's WAG's get posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The only time I have seen clogging of a gas tube like that is when people use a 22lr conversion kit with a chamber adapter in a typical 223/5.56 barrel.
The lead from 22lr bullets will clog up a gas tube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote View Post
He bought it off a cal gunner. Letís invite said dude to Unfold the mystery.
Thank you SanDiego619. To be frank, I genuinely think the only reason why I was able to be as patient as I was is because I thought it was simply user error for the first month or so. This being my first AR and had never shot any others. Once I shot two of my friends' though, was when I went down this rabbit hole investigation. Like you said, the good news is it definitely works now! The training course I did was 16 hours over two days, probably about 12 hours of range time. Last Saturday was super windy too, so lots of sand and dirt flying about. Re-lubed the rifle before Sunday's class. After about 500 rounds of .223, not a single malfunction.

I still remember when I was at RifleGear talking to Eric about it, he was in utter disbelief when I handed him the gas tube. He was like, "Oh we can clean this out no prob....what the hell?" For the hell of it when I got home, I tried chipping some of it out when I got home with a hammer and screw driver and could not get ANYTHING off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
Learning is half the battle. Glad you sorted your issues out. Time for the next build?
The thought has definitely crossed my mind, but not yet! My goal this year is to spend my disposable income on training until I know exactly what I would like in a new rifle. I still have a lot to learn. However this may all go out the window depending on gun laws and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBoarder View Post
Glad you're up and running. Kudos to all the cal gunners who lended a hand.
Thank you FishBoarder. Definitely loving this community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. I probably would have given the seller an earful by now!
Thank you tradecaft, and thank you again for chiming in my other thread.

The Seller is actually from out of area (Northern California) so besides a few text messages back in October, I haven't spoken to him since. I'm more old fashion and would prefer to sort things face to face. At this point he can say anything right?

This whole ordeal did lead me to wanting to ask the forum about purchasing used firearms though. I'll make that thread in General Guns Discussion later.