Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 12-06-2020, 8:35 AM

Default Tripod for rifle rest: Really Right Stuff quick review

I’ve been trying to buy American Made stuff for years. I’ve been using a lightweight tripod from Kramer Designs for my hunting binoculars for a number of years and I wanted to step up to a full size tripod and maybe something that I could shoot from. I’ve been researching for months on all the web forums and it’s disturbing that pretty much everything carbon fiber is made in China

This summer I purchased a Really Right Stuff tripod, it wasn’t cheap, $1400. The thing is super beefy, but feels light. I removed the bottom two leg sections and carried it on a couple multi-day backpack hunts this deer season.

I can go back and forth between binoculars and the rifle pretty quick in the field. With the ARCA clamp on the ball head, it can hold pretty much anything you want. The clamp will also work on pic rails.

I’ve taken the tripod out shooting twice now in the desert. The thing has a 70# capacity per the specs, so it holds my rifle without any problem. I was shooting it out to 500-yards and getting very similar accuracy as shooting off the bags in a prone position.

https://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/tfct
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6AD1EA65-6A76-44F8-8843-296B1C4CEB6F.jpg (20.2 KB, 498 views)
Old 12-06-2020, 8:38 AM

RRS is definitely the best if you can afford it. Did you get the Anvil 30 head? If so, did you think you gave up much functionality when glassing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2020, 8:44 AM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

$1,400? I tend to buy once cry once with a lot of stuff but... Holy cow!
Old 12-06-2020, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrvrrat View Post
RRS is definitely the best if you can afford it. Did you get the Anvil 30 head? If so, did you think you gave up much functionality when glassing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it’s the anvil head. I’ve played around with some “pan” heads including the stuff from Outdoorsmans. Using a ball head like the anvil for glassing is definitely different. You need to position the optic in the area you are looking and use the “optic’s field of view” to search for animals. You then repostion the optic. I was getting motion sickness scanning with a panhead once, so I’m kind of liking the ball head for glassing now.

I usually make a “big” for me purchase once a year with tax season. 2018 was a Ridgeline rifle, 2019 was Swarovski EL binos and 2020 was the RRS tripod. Having quality binos really helps for glassing. The EL 12x50s have full edge to edge clarity. My older binos had a much narrower field of view and the edges weren’t as clear.

The lock-up on the Anvil 30 head is incredibly strong, you can really lean on the rifle when it is in the ball head clamp. If you feather the lever, you can pan around pretty smoothly, not as good as a pan head, but good enough to search a hillside for animals.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03563499-A64F-436B-BE7C-B0761C8F6EE6.jpg (19.3 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg 91D6A869-A97F-42D1-9C20-70FDECDB6DC8.jpg (19.9 KB, 469 views)
Old 12-06-2020, 10:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was also looking at a solid tripod and in the same boat a couple of days ago. Luckily I found a RRS TVC-33 w/ TA-2 leveling head LNIB for a great deal locally. I plan to buy an Anvil to replace the TA-2, as it’s currently setup for landscape photography. Haven’t had the chance to use it in the field, but it has great build quality and is extremely sturdy, yet light weight. Mounted my rifle last night and was impressed with how stable it is.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
Yes, it’s the anvil head. I’ve played around with some “pan” heads including the stuff from Outdoorsmans.
Ya, in the same boat. I actually have a couple of top-end tripods. The RRS 33 with Anvil at 4.5lbs is actually lighter than carrying a glassing tripod and a tall bipod. I still run a German pan head for dedicated glassing, but like you, make due when just on binos. The pan head is a must when *grid* glassing using heavy off-balance optics like the image below. I'll use a setup like this from the BLM trails before hunting Elk. Binos are Swaro 15x56 and heavy, paired with a Swaro ATX85 and the RRS hardware this is best used near the trails. Everything is co-witnessed, so it is easy to grid glass on the binos and just peer into the spotter for confirmation without losing your place when you go back and forth.

The 553 actually still shoots well, but about 10oz heavier, I pack the lighter 33 with the Anvil, works great with just binos as you said.

If you guys are interested in a few field tips to use the tripod more efficiently, you can view a Tripod Tips for Field use I did as part of our spin up for our UKD Team Field match. It's not perfect, but it may give someone just one idea that could make them more efficient. This has over 14,000 views, but, the same as Calguns, it requires you to get a free Snipers Hide log in to see the full-sized images (some of the images have valuable details) so I think it is worth it.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting...2#post-8495271

Also if you're interested in practicing for your long-range hunts, we have a Hunter series shoot that you can shoot off your tripods across valleys and at various targets and wind hold. You can learn more at AvenalTacticle.com

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 12-06-2020 at 11:38 AM..
Old 12-06-2020, 12:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Holy crap, you need a T&E for that thing.
Old 12-06-2020, 1:00 PM

RRS is great. Not cheap, but great.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2020, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvshooter View Post
RRS is great. Not cheap, but great.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Nice looking setup.

If you get a chance check out tip #2 in the tripod thread.

With the thick tubed RRS, we no longer need to worry about the lower legs being week. Ideally, you want the adjustment near the top so you can manage the height while on the gun.

Old 12-06-2020, 2:07 PM

Rrs heads are super expensive, but amazing. I have often considered getting them for my camera gear, but I shoot more now than I shoot, so focusing on firearms instead.
Old 12-06-2020, 2:08 PM

Good stuff, I was surprised my search on here didn’t yield much for RRS.

My big purchase for 2021 is going to be a spotter. Not sure if Swarovski or Leuopold. I’ve looked through a BTX on a 95mm body, but don’t think I would go that route as the BTX is fixed power.
Maybe an ATX...
Or maybe buy Gold Ring Leupold 85mm and 65mm for the same price LOL
Old 12-06-2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftinG Z32 View Post
I was also looking at a solid tripod and in the same boat a couple of days ago. Luckily I found a RRS TVC-33 w/ TA-2 leveling head LNIB for a great deal locally. I plan to buy an Anvil to replace the TA-2, as it’s currently setup for landscape photography. Haven’t had the chance to use it in the field, but it has great build quality and is extremely sturdy, yet light weight. Mounted my rifle last night and was impressed with how stable it is.
I was looking for used for a couple months, pricing I was finding wasn’t much better than new. Glad you found a deal.
Old 12-06-2020, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Good stuff, I was surprised my search on here didn’t yield much for RRS.

My big purchase for 2021 is going to be a spotter. Not sure if Swarovski or Leuopold. I’ve looked through a BTX on a 95mm body, but don’t think I would go that route as the BTX is fixed power.
Maybe an ATX...
Or maybe buy Gold Ring Leupold 85mm and 65mm for the same price LOL

Having owned both (well way to much stuff), the ATX is much better in that you can run the 65mm body for packing and switch to the 85mm, 95 or the new 115.

The ATX 85 was superior to my gold ring. But note that the ATS line in a large step down. That said, I’d consider the Razor HD, Mavens before getting a ATS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-06-2020, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

More RRS Tripods!

Last edited by DDRH; 12-09-2020 at 7:27 PM..
Old 12-06-2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
Having owned both (well way to much stuff), the ATX is much better in that you can run the 65mm body for packing and switch to the 85mm, 95 or the new 115.

The ATX 85 was superior to my gold ring.
Thank you for the comment. I would be considering the Gold Ring because they are in large part built in USA. An ATX eyepiece with a 65 and 115 would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRH View Post
More RRS Tripods!
Nicely done Sir!
Old 12-06-2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the comment. I would be considering the Gold Ring because they are in large part built in USA. An ATX eyepiece with a 65 and 115 would be awesome.

Nicely done Sir!

Look at Maven in Wyoming- they have a direct to consumer like KUIU. The glass like Leopold is over seas (Japan), but all else is USA. Nice glass, really nice controls, great eye box. It’s not ATX, but damn close at a fair value.

I like the 11x45s a ton, they are my favorite for their generous eyebox. Way better than the several Swaro Binos I have. The new Swaro pures are a gear ahead but 3x the price at $3,200. I just bought my second pair of Mavens.

Last edited by diver160651; 12-06-2020 at 6:21 PM..
Old 12-07-2020, 9:43 PM

how are you attaching the Ridgeline to the tripod? did you add a rail section?

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 12-08-2020, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hntnnut View Post
how are you attaching the Ridgeline to the tripod? did you add a rail section?

Richard
It’s a little piece of titanium ARCA rail made to RRS spec. There is a machinist over on the long range hunting forum that makes them. His username is Live2HuntIdaho I think. He makes some pretty nice Pic/ARCA combo rails.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE4040ED-0E62-46EA-B0A7-E89A313C8091.jpg (9.9 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg FE7E4513-AD8C-4705-AE72-5ECB3228215A.jpg (20.7 KB, 340 views)
Old 12-08-2020, 7:36 AM

I know 2oz extra sounds like a lot to a hunter, but the options for flexibility and in stability are many times worth the extra weight of a full-length Henderson Ultralight 3oz rail.

It allows you to completely ditch the bipod giving you bipod stability from prone to heigh-prone; allows fine-tuning of buttstock on high angle shots or FFPs, and is easier and faster to set up while looking at the animal or in the dark.

Both images are hunting guns with CF barrels and stocks - The one with the adj comb is my pig gun and field match gun- both are very light, especially considering they have LR scopes on them.

Generally, you want the tripod set as close to the mag well, but sliding the mount to the front in some cases is far superior.

I started out one place and ended up in another after using tripods before direct attachment, or RRS SOAR was a thing, the looks I'd get with my tripods LOL. After many thousands of $$ experimenting over far too long of a period, I am a bit passionate about helping people not duplicate my decades-long learning curve and spending spree.

Again, as a field shooter/hunter, I think most people would find a tip or two that would come in handy when setting a hasty position in the field, found in the link I posted in an earlier post. While important, saving a couple of ounces is not always the best choice; everything should be considered to gain the best performance. As tripod hunters, it usually indicates we're interested in extending our effective range; as such, we should strive for the most flexibility with the best weight to stability ratio, use the most expedient, quiet, and effective techniques to find the best stability. Then practice across various shooting terrain as much as we can.

I encourage anyone wanting to practice off a tripod for long-range hunting to come to some of the monthly Hunter division matches (more like a great practice shoot) at Avenal. Here is a link to the website. AvenalTactical.com

Last edited by diver160651; 12-08-2020 at 11:08 AM..
Old 12-13-2020, 12:27 PM

I've been looking in to tripods and it looks like this is a perfect solution to where I hunt. this year I ended up tossing my rifle over my tripod mounted binos. and it worked pretty good as I couldn't go to my standard kneeling/shooting sticks position as the grass was to high which seems to happen a lot.

I came across these 2 systems and was wondering if you researched either of these two options, their specs. seem better than the RRS system and their also American made with a price point under a grand.

http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/s...-x45153725.htm
http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/s...-x45153739.htm

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

unknown
Old 12-13-2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
I've been looking in to tripods and it looks like this is a perfect solution to where I hunt. this year I ended up tossing my rifle over my tripod mounted binos. and it worked pretty good as I couldn't go to my standard kneeling/shooting sticks position as the grass was to high which seems to happen a lot.

I came across these 2 systems and was wondering if you researched either of these two options, their specs. seem better than the RRS system and their also American made with a price point under a grand.

Richard

The one I used at a match, was stable; but way heavier than the 4-1/2lbs RRS with Anvil head, and I’m not sure the specs were inline. It had the old large apex with 75mm bowl so it will not fold as tightly on the side of a pack.

The leveling head angles are very shallow like 18 degrees or so, and field positions are much more limited than the Anvil or or you put a heavier ball head on it.

Reviews are all over the place some really bad some great. They say American made, but I am fairly suspicious of what exactly that means. The fit and finish on a lot of it doesn’t scream USA.

If you can stay in that 4.5 complete tripod weight, you probability be lighter than if you added the weight of your bino tripod and shooting sticks, with much more utility.

If I could not swing for an RRS 33 with Anvil, I’d look at the Leofoto Ranger series in the same form factor. It’s made in China but works good for the $$.

The Field Optics is longer than the Feisol on the right, but has the same wide Apex. The Ranger is the one next to my RRRs’

Old 12-14-2020, 6:56 AM

Quote:

Richard
Sorry, I just wanted to add a bit of info:

Leveling bases, while super stable, being closer to the Apex (where the legs connect at the top); really limits your speed, options, and in some cases, the ability to shoot in the field especially when shooting on slopped terrain. See TIP 7 in the Tripod TIPS and Tricks for Field use

Just as two leg tripods (RRS 22i) are way easier and faster to deploy, 3 section is better in most cases than 4 or 5 in the field. All things being equal, they then to be lighter and less wobbly than and of course faster/quieter to deploy than 4 and 5 section tripods. So for field use, I am really a fan of the 3 section tripods and fully articulating heads like the Anvil 30 or a standard heavier ball head. These heads while not the very best for grid glassing do work better for glassing than leveling heads.

I'd look at the Feisol 3372 as they are lighter than the Field Optics, and it would be among my choices if I could not afford the RRS. At a real budget and great weight for a hunter is the Leofoto Ranger as in the picture. Strangely, it has a better fit and finish than the FO and goes the same 60" as the RRS 33, but is only 3lbs.

If you're ok with a leveling head like your looking at with the Field Optics and the limited range - you'd be @ feathery 3.7lbs and only spending $379 ish. Or you can use the Leofoto LH40 baldhead for full articulation and still be lighter and under $500. You can upgrade as you go or add the RRS Anvil 30 instead of the LH40 if you are interested in the light fully articulating option. If you're primarily grid glassing the Outdoorsman Jim White 2.0 Pan Tilt head is one of the lightest, robust you'll find unless ou you step of to the German 553 in my earlier image.

That said, the legs' angles on the Ranger are a hair narrower in the standard position, so at a full standing height, it's maybe 80-90% s stable as the full-blown RRS. Sitting and Kneeling were you have the option of pulling one apex locks out to create a broader base (must use the Anvil or ballhead to deal with the tilted apex), it's excellent.

Lefoto links:
Ranger:Amazon.com : Leofoto LS-323C Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod : Camera & Photo

Ball head Lefoto LH 40: Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/LEOFOTO-LH-40...7961757&sr=8-1

Outdoorsman Pan Tilt: https://outdoorsmans.com/products/ji...e-pan-head-2-0

Option Leveling Head:Amazon.com: LEOFOTO LB-66 66mm Leveling Base for Tripod Fluid Dampened w Level: Camera & Photo

Hope this info helps.
Jim

Last edited by diver160651; 12-14-2020 at 7:30 AM..
Old 12-18-2020, 6:49 AM
Veteran Member

I've played with a few that customers have brought into the shop. Quality engineering and the best i've seen. I'm too cheap to buy one and I'm still hunting with the 30" Harris

https://www.instagram.com/billygoatmachine/?hl=en
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 12-20-2020, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver160651 View Post
Sorry, I just wanted to add a bit of info:

Leveling bases, while super stable, being closer to the Apex (where the legs connect at the top); really limits your speed, options, and in some cases, the ability to shoot in the field especially when shooting on slopped terrain. See TIP 7 in the Tripod TIPS and Tricks for Field use

Just as two leg tripods (RRS 22i) are way easier and faster to deploy, 3 section is better in most cases than 4 or 5 in the field. All things being equal, they then to be lighter and less wobbly than and of course faster/quieter to deploy than 4 and 5 section tripods. So for field use, I am really a fan of the 3 section tripods and fully articulating heads like the Anvil 30 or a standard heavier ball head. These heads while not the very best for grid glassing do work better for glassing than leveling heads.

I'd look at the Feisol 3372 as they are lighter than the Field Optics, and it would be among my choices if I could not afford the RRS. At a real budget and great weight for a hunter is the Leofoto Ranger as in the picture. Strangely, it has a better fit and finish than the FO and goes the same 60" as the RRS 33, but is only 3lbs.

If you're ok with a leveling head like your looking at with the Field Optics and the limited range - you'd be @ feathery 3.7lbs and only spending $379 ish. Or you can use the Leofoto LH40 baldhead for full articulation and still be lighter and under $500. You can upgrade as you go or add the RRS Anvil 30 instead of the LH40 if you are interested in the light fully articulating option. If you're primarily grid glassing the Outdoorsman Jim White 2.0 Pan Tilt head is one of the lightest, robust you'll find unless ou you step of to the German 553 in my earlier image.

That said, the legs' angles on the Ranger are a hair narrower in the standard position, so at a full standing height, it's maybe 80-90% s stable as the full-blown RRS. Sitting and Kneeling were you have the option of pulling one apex locks out to create a broader base (must use the Anvil or ballhead to deal with the tilted apex), it's excellent.

Lefoto links:
Ranger:Amazon.com : Leofoto LS-323C Professional Carbon Fiber Tripod : Camera & Photo

Ball head Lefoto LH 40: Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/LEOFOTO-LH-40...7961757&sr=8-1

Outdoorsman Pan Tilt: https://outdoorsmans.com/products/ji...e-pan-head-2-0

Option Leveling Head:Amazon.com: LEOFOTO LB-66 66mm Leveling Base for Tripod Fluid Dampened w Level: Camera & Photo

Hope this info helps.
Jim
diver160651, Thank you for taking the time to do that, I've just about got my self talked into getting the RRS tripod although I really don't like ball heads. I may take the weight penalty and and mount mount my Outdoorsman head to a arca plate for glassing.

Richard
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

unknown
Old 12-21-2020, 4:14 AM

Quote:
diver160651, Thank you for taking the time to do that, I've just about got my self talked into getting the RRS tripod although I really don't like ball heads. I may take the weight penalty and and mount mount my Outdoorsman head to a arca plate for glassing.

Richard

There is one more option still a compromise to something like the 553 or pan tilt heads as a direct mount.

Running the Anvil 30 14oz and a small pan base with a lite 4w dove tail in the image adds only 3.4oz. (RRS version was 11.2oz).

The horizontal grid is great and you only have to loosen the Anvil for a bit of elevation. It still takes practice but is easy if you just running Binos or a spotter separately. I pop it off and just keep it in a pocket and add it if I am going to sit for a long time and glass.

Old 01-07-2021, 6:52 PM

Quote:
diver160651, ...I've just about got my self talked into getting the RRS tripod although I really don't like ball heads.
I was reluctant to purchase a ball head at first, but I love it now. It helps to have good optics so you can use the entire field of view. My whole method of glassing has changed. I now only see a use for a pan or fluid head as being good for video.

BTW, I love the new Outdoorsmans Fluid head. I’ve played with one and it is smooth.
Old 02-23-2021, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

I’m looking to use something like a Manfrotto geared head for my Leupold MK 4 spotting scope, as I prefer twisting knobs to other methods; what tripods do y’all use for that, if you are NOT going to be attaching a rifle to it?
Old 02-24-2021, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
I’m looking to use something like a Manfrotto geared head for my Leupold MK 4 spotting scope, as I prefer twisting knobs to other methods; what tripods do y’all use for that, if you are NOT going to be attaching a rifle to it?

Think twice about what gear head you get. While they can work better for pure correction calling when using a reticle in the spotter; most of the lighter and affordable ones have a lot of backlash.

For those that might be wondering what the heck we’re talking about, with a reticle in the spotter and a geared head, you dial to the spot in the reticle for the wind and come-up call. Then you hold that spot just as the shooter might; once the shot needs a correction you get an instant and accurate correction based off the original call. With a ball head you can do the same it’s just harder to be precise.

Here is an example of the really popular Manfrotto with a lot of movement. With a spotter in the wind you get a lot of vibration.

https://youtu.be/N3TkhVdoYMg

Old 02-24-2021, 6:51 AM
Veteran Member

I am wondering if this tripod would be sturdy enough for my spotting scope.
If it is, I can then figure what type of head I want to use. I do like the hook option.
The link below includes a image gallery of some of the uses; one of those depicts a spotting scope similar to the one I use, so there is that. Just wanting to know from folks who actually use their spotting scopes this way. I would be sitting behind the scope in a chair if the terrain allows, while my shooter has her rifle set up a bit forward. The school we attend for shooting has a variety, so I’m looking for a number of different viewpoints.
https://ustacticalsupply.com/pig0311...lyodgreen.aspx

Compared to the optics we use, it is very affordable.

Last edited by splithoof; 02-24-2021 at 6:59 AM..