Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-13-2021, 9:36 AM

Default FFL03 Question

Can someone from ( Ohio) out of state who is hunting with me in CA bring a firearm "Rifle or Handgun" from his state and sell to me with my FFL03+COE legally and does that become and in-state acquisition even though in my Acquisition and Disposition book it will show his address out of state?

Just to clarify the firearm in question will be in CA at the time of sale.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:44 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

You cannot acquire a handgun while in Ca without going to a 01 FFL (except for antiques made before 1899 or black powder replicas of antiques)

You can acquire a C&R longgun that he brings, and it would be an in-state acquisition. It must qualify as a C&R, 50+ yrs old or specifically listed by ATF

Old 01-13-2021, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info. Its a Pre-64 Model 70 that he is bringing me to trade for a pig/predator hunt. But good to know about the Handguns I thought they only needed to go through FFL01 if they were shipped here.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:12 AM

We assume the firearm in question is a C&R qualified firearm? If so, when you fill out the form in CFARS, the selection for "Acquired From" would be "Private Party". The form does not ask for any information about that private party, and you do not provide it. I haven't seen anywhere in any of the regs or PC that this kind of transaction requires two CA residents. The only requirement explicit is that the acquisition take place inside of CA. The other form is almost the same if you travel out of state to pick up the gun, it only adds that you include the state it's from, and the date it came into CA. So it seems to not matter if you go to him to buy it, or he comes to you, just use a different form. Do note one significant difference - in state can only be long guns, the form is titled "In State Acquisition of Curio & Relic Long Gun". The firearm type you select only has rifle, shotgun, or rifle/shotgun combination as an option. Pistols you can do if you go out of state. There's also a time reporting difference, in state you have 30 days to fill out the form, from out of state you only have 5 days.
*Skyhawk beat me to it, I had to look it up...

Last edited by sbo80; 01-13-2021 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: .
Old 01-13-2021, 3:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartridgeCalls View Post
Thanks for the info. Its a Pre-64 Model 70 that he is bringing me to trade for a pig/predator hunt. But good to know about the Handguns I thought they only needed to go through FFL01 if they were shipped here.
That's a hell of a payment for a pig hunt. Years ago I used to hunt for free in Santa Cruz county for pigs. The only thing was the farmer wanted to make sure we didn't shoot any of his livestock so we had to sit through about 40 minutes of him going over the rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 01-14-2021, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
We assume the firearm in question is a C&R qualified firearm? If so, when you fill out the form in CFARS, the selection for "Acquired From" would be "Private Party". The form does not ask for any information about that private party, and you do not provide it. I haven't seen anywhere in any of the regs or PC that this kind of transaction requires two CA residents. The only requirement explicit is that the acquisition take place inside of CA. The other form is almost the same if you travel out of state to pick up the gun, it only adds that you include the state it's from, and the date it came into CA. So it seems to not matter if you go to him to buy it, or he comes to you, just use a different form. Do note one significant difference - in state can only be long guns, the form is titled "In State Acquisition of Curio & Relic Long Gun". The firearm type you select only has rifle, shotgun, or rifle/shotgun combination as an option. Pistols you can do if you go out of state. There's also a time reporting difference, in state you have 30 days to fill out the form, from out of state you only have 5 days.
*Skyhawk beat me to it, I had to look it up...
Thanks for the info. I was wondering the difference in forms. I have only bought about 30 long guns so far in state so far with my FFL03 but all have been in state.
Old 01-14-2021, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
That's a hell of a payment for a pig hunt. Years ago I used to hunt for free in Santa Cruz county for pigs. The only thing was the farmer wanted to make sure we didn't shoot any of his livestock so we had to sit through about 40 minutes of him going over the rules.
Dont get me wrong, the rifle is going to need some love. Its worth about $600 at most. But he is getting three days fully guided of hog and predator hunting and free lodging.
Old 01-14-2021, 7:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Your acquisition and disposition book is Federal. They don't care where you acquire or dispose of C&R firearms for listing in your book.

The Fed's do require that any acquisition of disposition be done in compliance with state laws.

But thats a separate issue than listing in your bound book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 01-14-2021, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
in CFARS, The other form is almost the same if you travel out of state to pick up the gun, it only adds that you include the state it's from, and the date it came into CA.
Quick question, buying from out of state, does disclosing the state where you bought it from matters or is it consider private info between you and the seller? Drop down box does have USA listed as the location, does some of you uses USA as location? Thanks
Old 01-14-2021, 9:02 AM

Do I have this right for pistols then?

I acquire a c&r qualifying pistol in another state
I travel back to california with my new prize
I do NOT have to go to an ffl01
I enter it into my bound book
I notify DOJ within 30 days

That’s it right?
And by out of state that means at a minimum from a non-CA resident. Physical location of transfer isn’t really in the definition is it? Interstate is defined by two parties of different states of residence.

C
Old 01-14-2021, 3:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by croue View Post

That’s it right?
And by out of state that means at a minimum from a non-CA resident. Physical location of transfer isn’t really in the definition is it? Interstate is defined by two parties of different states of residence.

C
Close, you need to let Uncle Gavin know in 5 days of bringing it into the state.

And, you can buy a C&R firearm from a CA resident while in another state and bring it back and register it. For the purpose of CA law, "where" you acquire it IS the important part. So long as you acquire a C&R handgun OOS they don't care who you acquired it from. You bring it back and pay your $19 all is good.

Quote:

Old 01-16-2021, 10:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the clarification
Old 01-16-2021, 10:37 AM

If you’re buying a c&r pistol from a California resident, in California, do you need your ffl03? Or can they sell to anyone despite the roster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2021, 10:38 AM

Sorry - clarifying if it’s not a FTF transfer of course. This would be shipped within claifornia.

Old 01-16-2021, 4:35 PM
Klaatu barada nikto
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If you’re buying a c&r pistol from a California resident, in California, do you need your ffl03? Or can they sell to anyone despite the roster?

Needs to be transferred via a FFL01. Can't have it shipped to you.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 01-16-2021, 9:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Quote:
Sorry - clarifying if it’s not a FTF transfer of course. This would be shipped within claifornia.

You do not need to have a C&R FFL to buy C&R handguns, or any other C&R firearms. All C&R handguns are roster exempt for all people.

If you find one on the other side of the state the seller can ship it to a dealer near you. This is NOT a PPT, the receiving dealer can and will charge what ever they want for the transfer.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Quote:

Old 01-17-2021, 1:55 PM

Quote:

That’s it right?

C
BOF 4100A

Recommend pistols. One or more, it's the same $19 fee. As the form states, if it is more than two, "attach additional copies of this form as needed".