Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-12-2021, 5:00 PM

Default Replacement gun, new S/N, do I have to wait 10 days?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so thanks for having me! I've only been living in California for a year and a half so I'm not very familiar with the laws here. I couldn't find info about this so I figured I'd ask here.

I bought a CZ Bobwhite G2 a few months ago and had to send it back to CZ for some repairs. I didn't realize they would then send me a brand new replacement. I know this replacement gun has a new serial number on it (so it's a different S/N from my old one that CZ now has). It's on its way to my local FFL dealer right now and my question is:

Do I have to wait another ten days before taking possession of it?

Thank you in advance!
Old 01-12-2021, 5:14 PM

Seems like so.
It would have to be re-DROS-Ed.

NRA RSO and Pistol, PPITH, PPOTH Instructor
Old 01-12-2021, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Are you sure they sent it to your ffl? It's legal for them to send a repaired gun directly to you.
Old 01-12-2021, 5:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Are you sure they sent it to your ffl? It's legal for them to send a repaired gun directly to you.
he said they are sending him a replacement. not repaired.
Old 01-12-2021, 5:41 PM

Replacement gun with a new serial number has to be re-DROSed, 10 day wait and the whole thing. I had a ruger replaced and I had to go through it.
Old 01-12-2021, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
ONLY if they didn't change the serial number. Since the serial number got changed, re-DROS is required to reflect the new serial number in the system.
Old 01-12-2021, 5:50 PM

Thumbs down Been through this THREE times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
ONLY if they didn't change the serial number. Since the serial number got changed, re-DROS is required to reflect the new serial number in the system.
S&W 22a1... Finally gave it to my nephew... Bring it on :-)
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=20c9730268&view=fimg&th=15ad3c387b7ea1aa& attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_15ad3c34b07b03d5&a ttbid=ANGjdJ_GOwaOCfqt3OHKm7zY_mRBiORflleilym4tijR cuiC5hGws2oJLyDhF9PhQVXWMa7_jCP_uMAWxJrz5ef-HJcaRLRDzRANo5ScBq6Y0tJJfz6He0c6K0GPTDg&sz=w632-h880&ats=1489612610462&rm=15ad3c387b7ea1aa&zw&atsh =1
Old 01-12-2021, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amery15 View Post

Do I have to wait another ten days before taking possession of it?
!
Yes, I afraid so

MLC, First 3
Old 01-12-2021, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Not only will you have to wait through the hostage period, you will pay the extortion fee to the folks who’d rather you not have it in the first place.
Welcome to California; pull your pants down, grab your ankles, and prepare for government entry. Without lube.
Old 01-12-2021, 5:59 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Wait ten days, re-dros = yes. You might also pay a transfer fee again too. Hopefully Cz sent you something extra as compensation

Old 01-12-2021, 6:28 PM

I did it twice with Ruger and they paid for everything both times.
Old 01-12-2021, 6:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagearms View Post
Yeah, but maybe CZ doesn't know about dros.
Old 01-12-2021, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

On top of having to wait 10 days if the gun has a new serial number some other rules may bite you in the butt.
If it's no longer on the roster they can't send you a replacement with a different serial number.
Ruger will give you a credit toward an on roster gun. They won't ship back an unrepaired off roster gun since if it needs repair it's unsafe.
Old 01-12-2021, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Wait ten days, re-dros = yes. You might also pay a transfer fee again too. Hopefully Cz sent you something extra as compensation
Like a one way flight ticket to another state.
Old 01-12-2021, 8:15 PM

Thanks so much everyone. It seems like I'll have to suffer through another ten days of waiting and extra fees. I used to live in Pennsylvania where we're treated like adults when we purchase things, so I'm not used to all of this. And I'll reach out to CZ about compensation for fees.

Again, thank you.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
On top of having to wait 10 days if the gun has a new serial number some other rules may bite you in the butt.
If it's no longer on the roster they can't send you a replacement with a different serial number.
Ruger will give you a credit toward an on roster gun. They won't ship back an unrepaired off roster gun since if it needs repair it's unsafe.
Not 100% true... I had an off roster I sent in - trigger was hanging up "somewhere", and I couldn't get it apart entirely. Was offered an on roster revolver, not interested. I asked that the gun be completely disassembled and sent in ziplock bags as needed. Since it was still "my" gun they did send it back, as requested! Got the box with the bags a couple days later and figured out what the problem was myself (frame looked like it had been dropped and dinged so the trigger bar was catching/dragging on the "burr", easy to file/polish off!) and once re-assembled, it works perfectly and I learned all the intimate details of the gun...

Not a solution I would recommend unless you got a mean set of tools and "the knack" for fixing things, but I guess I'm old school and believe you should learn how things work and figure out how to fix 'em when they don't!
Old 01-13-2021, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Not a repaired gun if they replaced the serialized part. It's a new gun. New DROS+wait period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amery15
I used to live in Pennsylvania where we're treated like adults when we purchase things, so I'm not used to all of this.
Welcome to California.
Old 01-13-2021, 9:55 AM

A few years ago I had a similar incident happen
I sent a new gun in for repairs and they send a replacement direct back to me.
I inquired with ATF what process I needed to do and they had me send them a “no longer in possession “ form for the replaced gun, a “voluntary reg” form for the replacement gun, and the letter from the manufacturer stating that they had to replace the gun and destroyed the old one.
Got a new dros form in the mail a few weeks later
Old 01-13-2021, 11:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Not only will you have to wait through the hostage period, you will pay the extortion fee to the folks who’d rather you not have it in the first place.
Welcome to California; pull your pants down, grab your ankles, and prepare for government entry. Without lube.
.Hahaha ^^^This guy gets it....

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 01-13-2021, 11:21 AM

Send a copy of the receipt for the new DROS and ask CZ to reimburse you.
Old 01-13-2021, 6:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybin View Post
A few years ago I had a similar incident happen
I sent a new gun in for repairs and they send a replacement direct back to me.
I inquired with ATF what process I needed to do and they had me send them a “no longer in possession “ form for the replaced gun, a “voluntary reg” form for the replacement gun, and the letter from the manufacturer stating that they had to replace the gun and destroyed the old one.
Got a new dros form in the mail a few weeks later
That was then this is now. It must have been an on roster gun. ATF is fed DOJ is state.

Back in the day I bought a AMT Backup 380. It was bad. Since I lived about 3 blocks away I went there. Explained to the receptionist the problem. She took the gun reached in her drawer and handed me a new one. We were done and I left.