Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-25-2020, 7:56 PM

Default How to deal with security guards.

I have a question for the CCW holders.

Has anyone been searched by a security guard while carrying a CCW IWB or carry bag while going into a business?

How did that go and any word of advice?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2020, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Searched or metal detectors/scanners?
I would not allow them to search me.

Last edited by Skip_Dog; 10-29-2020 at 7:38 AM..
Old 10-25-2020, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

They should not be physically searching you.

If you are entering a venue and being searched, then likely they don’t allow any form of firearms or weapons.

iTrader
Old 10-25-2020, 8:10 PM

I’m asking because I saw a guard asking people for a bag search while getting into a business. Before the covid, places like Dave & Buster use to search bags and use the metal detector to screen people.

Just wanted to see what you guys would do.
Old 10-25-2020, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearjohn013 View Post
I’m asking because I saw a guard asking people for a bag search while getting into a business. Before the covid, places like Dave & Buster use to search bags and use the metal detector to screen people.

Most of us wouldn’t give them our business. I highly doubt they’d ensure the safety of the patrons there.

However, if it’s simply a bag search, carry on your person. I wouldn’t allow them to search me nor would I disclose I am carrying or have a CCW permit.

iTrader
Old 10-25-2020, 9:20 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

What I would do is turn around and walk away to go find a non-commie establishment to patronize.

Old 10-25-2020, 9:35 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
They should not be physically searching you.

If you are entering a venue and being searched, then likely they don’t allow any form of firearms or weapons.
I used to do that job in Concord.

Artist contracts specify the level of search the venue is to apply.

Concert patrons are free to refuse a search; the venue is free then to direct the patron to the box office for a refund, because no search = no entry.

This is complicated by the fact that tickets purchased on-line cannot be refunded at the box office.

I have heard that some bars will do a search, but I don't go to bars, so I have no direct knowledge of that. But I agree with Skyhawk: if the business doesn't want all of me, they don't really want my money, either.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-25-2020, 9:35 PM
CGN Contributor

Based on the subject title, I thought this was going to be a thread on sentry-removal!
Old 10-26-2020, 7:51 AM
Love God Love People
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I used to do that job in Concord.

Artist contracts specify the level of search the venue is to apply.

Concert patrons are free to refuse a search; the venue is free then to direct the patron to the box office for a refund, because no search = no entry.
Everyone's favorite Uncle Ted has a no guns policy. I was at a local small venue, we were literally the last people in the door as the opening act had just wrapped, and they asked if we had any weapons. I said you've never asked before why now? "Artists request, no weapons at all" I followed up with "How many guns so far?" "three" he replied "and one dude that ran away"

Uncle Ted usually does a monologue ripping on California politics and all the anti-gun laws his concert, his rules I guess
Old 10-26-2020, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have a question for the CCW holders.

Has anyone been searched by a security guard while carrying a CCW IWB or carry bag while going into a business?

How did that go and any word of advice?

Thanks

I would think if a venue had a ‘No firearms’ policy and WAS SCANNING, then I wouldn’t be carrying IF I just had to go in.

I carry in places (not governmental) that “suggest” they do not want firearms inside, but have never been bodily “searched” without scanners/detectors also being present.

And IF they found my firearm and I ABSOLUTELY HAD to go in for whatever purpose, then I’d return the firearm to my car. It is what it is.

IF I didn’t NEED to go in, I’d just leave.

I forget, what was the problem again?

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

“Criminals, tyrants and terrorists don’t do background checks.” — Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020

Last edited by Erion929; 10-26-2020 at 11:37 AM..
Old 10-26-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
I wouldn’t allow them to search me nor would I disclose I am carrying or have a CCW permit.
This. Go read the Downtown Disney story. Some places you will get arrested even if you are legally carrying.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igs View Post
This. Go read the Downtown Disney story. Some places you will get arrested even if you are legally carrying.
You have a link to that? Because it sounds like FUD.

"News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-26-2020, 2:46 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHavasu View Post
Scanners - https://blogmickey.com/2020/10/artif...eyland-resort/

Policy - https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq...rmitted-items/
Quote:
Weapons of any kind or object that appear to be weapons (toy guns, toy blasters, squirt guns, etc.)

Self-defense equipment (e.g., pepper spray, mace, stun guns)

Restraining devices (e.g., handcuffs, zip ties) or any suspicious items (e.g., box cutters, razor blades, duct tape, wire)
Don't see any arrests reported in CA, though there seems to be a couple from Florida.
Old 10-26-2020, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psssniper View Post
Everyone's favorite Uncle Ted has a no guns policy. I was at a local small venue, we were literally the last people in the door as the opening act had just wrapped, and they asked if we had any weapons. I said you've never asked before why now? "Artists request, no weapons at all" I followed up with "How many guns so far?" "three" he replied "and one dude that ran away"

Uncle Ted usually does a monologue ripping on California politics and all the anti-gun laws his concert, his rules I guess
I get it, Uncle Ted probably gets a LOT of death threats, and I mean a lot, lol.
And he'd be a sitting duck up there on stage.

It is what it is unfortunately...

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2020, 6:56 PM

Sounds like you have two choices. If a search is required for entry:

1. Leave your CCW in the car, submit to the search, and enter, or
2. Leave and never patronize the business again.

Can't tell you what to do, but it seems pretty cut and dry.
Old 10-26-2020, 7:30 PM

Ok. I got this from a security guard company.

Normally, they don’t care about CCW unless they were instructed by the business/building owner to screen visitors for weapons. If that happens, everyone has to follow their rules.
Old 10-27-2020, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Don't see any arrests reported in CA, though there seems to be a couple from Florida.
Yeah, they have some interesting technology. I couldn't find anything on someone being arrested who is carrying legally though. I'm wondering what the "Downtown Disney story" is. It sounds like a specific incident.

"News stories and the truth are a bit like fraternal twins. They are related but only vaguely resemble each other."

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-27-2020, 6:25 PM

Funny story, went to an event at UCI years ago on campus. Buddy is LEO off duty and they were checking bags cause there was a no cameras allowed policy. They checked his bag with his gun in it and was like, ok next. They didnt ask about it at all. I guess they were only looking for cameras...

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell on a BBC broadcast, April 4, 1942

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." ---Wyatt Earp
Old 10-28-2020, 7:48 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Clearly you need the two following items to deal with those pesky security guards:

Item 1:

Item 2:

That'll show them who's boss

/sarcasm
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 10-28-2020, 5:29 PM

The OP's original question was about entering a business. I would not allow a search by a security guard to enter a retail business, I'd take my business elsewhere.

A concert venue is a different matter, weapons are usually prohibited, and I would abide by their policy and not be carrying. These days most of the bigger venues have you empty your pockets and go through a metal detector anyway, not a physical search. A couple times the hardware in my leg from an old bike crash has set off the metal detectors and I got pulled aside for a pat down. No big deal.
Old 10-30-2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:

Check it out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tourist-a...013652982.html
Old 10-30-2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I couldn't get the story to pull up with your link, not sure if it is me or not. I am assuming this incident on 10/8 at Disney World is the same thing. If so, still FUD. The post I was responding to said, "Some places you will get arrested even if you are legally carrying." The article says the lady was from Georgia and did not have a Florida CWL or one in Georgia. Unless I am mistaken neither one is a constitutional carry state.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/52...loaded-firearm

"Engwall then walked Temple to the Disney Security Building so she could continue the investigation, and that’s when Temple told her that she was from Georgia. She did not have a concealed weapons permit in Florida or Georgia."

So unless I am missing something she was not legally carrying.

Old 11-17-2020, 1:07 PM

I do security and it depends on the clients policies.

I generally nicely say sorry you can have that on the premises, please go secure it in your vehicle.

That being said expect fairly thorough search on re entry.

You have some gun ho security personnel and then more experienced officers that dont consider it a huge deal.
Old 11-17-2020, 1:08 PM

I do security and it depends on the clients policies.

I generally nicely say sorry you can have that on the premises, please go secure it in your vehicle.

That being said expect fairly thorough search on re entry.

You have some gun ho security personnel and then more experienced officers that dont consider it a huge deal.
Old 11-17-2020, 5:32 PM

I work part time for Disneyland here in Anaheim. Trust me NO WEAPONS are allowed on property, CCW or not, including cast members. All guests go thru metal detectors. We also have 8 or 9 dogs that sniff for explosives and contraband.

We have our bags searched upon entrance (I heard metal detectors are coming soon for the cast side) Last year they started having a dog at our cast gate. I was pulled aside several times and checked as the dog gave a positive on me. I had gone shooting just before work one day and one other time I had cleaned a few guns prior to work.
Both times I was asked if I had handled firearms or marijuana prior to coming to work. I was honest and said yes firearms, even though it is really none of their business what I do prior to work on my own time.

I leave my EDC securely locked in my vehicle while on property, and that is a stretch as they own the cast parking lot.

I have not heard of any arrests here in Anaheim yet for weapons.
Old 11-17-2020, 7:05 PM

my feeling is that non-essential businesses should have the freedom to reject business from any customer, for any reason (ROAR = right of access refused). if that offends you, spend your money somewhere else. doesn't matter if they want to reject gun owners, or reject customers who want cake decorations that offend them. of course some liberals think it's fair to reject some people but not others, but that is another story.
Old 11-18-2020, 3:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I couldn't get the story to pull up with your link, not sure if it is me or not. I am assuming this incident on 10/8 at Disney World is the same thing. If so, still FUD. The post I was responding to said, "Some places you will get arrested even if you are legally carrying." The article says the lady was from Georgia and did not have a Florida CWL or one in Georgia. Unless I am mistaken neither one is a constitutional carry state.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/52...loaded-firearm

"Engwall then walked Temple to the Disney Security Building so she could continue the investigation, and that’s when Temple told her that she was from Georgia. She did not have a concealed weapons permit in Florida or Georgia."

So unless I am missing something she was not legally carrying.
She was arrested because she did not have a CCW and was therefore illegally carrying as you said. Otherwise, she probably would have been trespassed and asked to leave the property.

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 11-18-2020, 3:33 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Years ago I had a very friendly conversation with the ladies (at that time) who ran Anaheim PD property room. They told me it was rather common for them to get LEO service guns from local hotels as Disneyland won’t even let LEO on vacation in the park with firearms. Guys forget they put their gun in a drawer in the hotel room and housekeeping find it after checkout.

They also told me they (at that time) wouldn’t return it without a COE which takes about 4 weeks even if they LEO needs it for work the next day in another state.

Oops.

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 11-18-2020, 3:44 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekeye View Post
my feeling is that non-essential businesses should have the freedom to reject business from any customer, for any reason (ROAR = right of access refused). if that offends you, spend your money somewhere else. doesn't matter if they want to reject gun owners, or reject customers who want cake decorations that offend them. of course some liberals think it's fair to reject some people but not others, but that is another story.

Wut if they want to refuse coloreds or mezkins?

Old 11-18-2020, 4:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wink

Go COMMANDO on 'em!

Old 11-18-2020, 5:11 AM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Shooting from INSIDE a phone booth, no hearing protection. That had to hurt!

Old 11-18-2020, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Wut if they want to refuse coloreds or mezkins?
then that creates a business opportunity for somebody else, and will most likely severely damage their reputation and hurt their business. it might create an ugly scene, but i still think that if people want to make bad business decisions, it's on them.

now note that i'm only talking about non-essential businesses, where the rejected customer can easily go somewhere else. if it's an essential service and there are no alternatives, it becomes an equal treatment under the law issue.
Old 11-18-2020, 6:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Shooting from INSIDE a phone booth, no hearing protection. That had to hurt!

He had bigger problems a few minutes later.
Old 11-19-2020, 1:42 PM

I've been in this type of a situation once. I just told the guy as I approached that I was armed and asked what he wanted to do. He told me to return to my car to disarm and come back to the front of the line when I was done. You can't bring knifes, pepper spray or a baton in either and you don't have to disclose how you are armed. Just be up front and nice about it. Dude was cool and didn't even wand me when I came back. To be clear, I never said I had a firearm on me.
Old 11-20-2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFAN IN OC View Post
I work part time for Disneyland here in Anaheim. Trust me NO WEAPONS are allowed on property, CCW or not, including cast members. All guests go thru metal detectors. We also have 8 or 9 dogs that sniff for explosives and contraband.

We have our bags searched upon entrance (I heard metal detectors are coming soon for the cast side) Last year they started having a dog at our cast gate. I was pulled aside several times and checked as the dog gave a positive on me. I had gone shooting just before work one day and one other time I had cleaned a few guns prior to work.
Both times I was asked if I had handled firearms or marijuana prior to coming to work. I was honest and said yes firearms, even though it is really none of their business what I do prior to work on my own time.

I leave my EDC securely locked in my vehicle while on property, and that is a stretch as they own the cast parking lot.

I have not heard of any arrests here in Anaheim yet for weapons.
There have been a few in the past. When the security gates were still up at the Esplanade and the guest talked themselves in to it. You'd be surprised at how many knives, leatherman type tools were found in the same places. As I recall nobody complained to Security when it somehow wasn't there when they were leaving.

Never saw anything at the detectors, probably because it's not a long walk back to the car.

Not sure what is happening at Downtown Disney.

For those that didn't pick up on it that story was an incident at Disney World, NOT Disneyland. There are Orange Counties in 5 states. DW has Orange County FL Sheriffs. DL is Anaheim PD, not OC Sheriffs