Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-06-2020, 2:50 PM

Default Benelli M2 or M4? Or Beretta 1301?

Need help picking one of them, both are great and i've done a lot of reading but want to hear hands on exp from fellow calguners.
Diff $600, 1lb weight, inertial vs gas system, recoil etc...

Last edited by Bmeow; 12-07-2020 at 7:34 PM..
Old 12-06-2020, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

My primary selling point on selecting the M2 was that a lot of 3 gun competitors use it in competition. It has to be fast and reliable for that competition.
Old 12-06-2020, 4:20 PM
Calguns Addict

m4 - FANTASTIC defensive shotgun. While there is decent aftermarket support for it, there are no longer barrels available. So consider if that is important to you. It runs like a champ and will be a bit softer shooting than the m2. You can hang whatever you want on it and shouldn't have to worry about reliability. Some people report some cycling issues with lighter loads. Many report no problems at all (I am one of them). I would not, however, run reduced recoil rounds in it for defensive purposes. To be clear, I've run a bunch through mine on the range and never had an issue. But I prefer to keep full power loads in it for real work. YMMV

m2 - As reliable as the m4 and tons of aftermarket support for it thanks to it being the gun of choice for 3 Gun. Lots of barrel options too. You might encounter reliability issues if you start hanging too much weight on it as it can impact cycling on an inertia gun. Slightly greater recoiling than the m4. If you're looking for one gun that can do it all, this would be the choice. It is second only to the m4 in a defensive role. But there are lots of other good semi auto guns out there too.

You may want to check out the Remington Versa Max as it is essentially the m4 gas system but there are more barrel options for it and it's cheaper. Note that I don't know how things are with Remington's financial situation. But a lot of folks have good things to say about this gun.

Note that Benellis are imported shotguns and, as such, fall under federal 922R rules. Which means they come with limited 5 round magazines and you will have to swap multiple parts if you want to increase the mag size and still keep it 922R legal. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, Freedom Fighter Tactical and Carrier Comp both have white papers up on their websites that you can read up on this. But note that it will cost you $200-$300 to swap the requisite parts depending on which options you go with.

Fighter Pilot
Old 12-06-2020, 4:39 PM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

Default CGN answer...........Get Both!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post
m4 - FANTASTIC defensive shotgun. While there is decent aftermarket support for it, there are no longer barrels available. So consider if that is important to you. It runs like a champ and will be a bit softer shooting than the m2. You can hang whatever you want on it and shouldn't have to worry about reliability. Some people report some cycling issues with lighter loads. Many report no problems at all (I am one of them). I would not, however, run reduced recoil rounds in it for defensive purposes. To be clear, I've run a bunch through mine on the range and never had an issue. But I prefer to keep full power loads in it for real work. YMMV

m2 - As reliable as the m4 and tons of aftermarket support for it thanks to it being the gun of choice for 3 Gun. Lots of barrel options too. You might encounter reliability issues if you start hanging too much weight on it as it can impact cycling on an inertia gun. Slightly greater recoiling than the m4. If you're looking for one gun that can do it all, this would be the choice. It is second only to the m4 in a defensive role. But there are lots of other good semi auto guns out there too.

You may want to check out the Remington Versa Max as it is essentially the m4 gas system but there are more barrel options for it and it's cheaper. Note that I don't know how things are with Remington's financial situation. But a lot of folks have good things to say about this gun.

Note that Benellis are imported shotguns and, as such, fall under federal 922R rules. Which means they come with limited 5 round magazines and you will have to swap multiple parts if you want to increase the mag size and still keep it 922R legal. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, Freedom Fighter Tactical and Carrier Comp both have white papers up on their websites that you can read up on this. But note that it will cost you $200-$300 to swap the requisite parts depending on which options you go with.
wow thank you very much, sounds like M2 is a better choice for me
Old 12-06-2020, 4:52 PM

M2 works fine.

The M4 isn't worth the extra money to me.
Old 12-06-2020, 5:40 PM

You can only shoot one at a time.... M4 for the win
Old 12-06-2020, 6:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessegpresley View Post
I have an M4 but would rather have a Beretta 1301 LTT.

The M2 is recoil operated and weighs less.

The M4 is gas operated but weighs more.

The 1301 is gas operated but light.
I know you said Benelli but this is the correct answer. I have owned both Benelli’s, and your usage will determine which to get of the two. Hunting / clays? M2 with a 26-28 inch barrel minimum. 3gun? M2 with at least a 24 inch barrel. Home defense / range toy? Benelli m4.

But really, get a Beretta 1301 that suits your needs. Either the tactical, Competition or Comp Pro model depending on what you’re going to use it for. Take the savings and buy a Beretta A300 for $600 for a clay shooting gun.

The Beretta 1301 is MUCH lighter, the Benelli m4 is stupid heavy. It’s softer shooting than the M2, and cycles faster than both. Plus, it’s cheaper. But if you’re set on Benelli, let your needs dictate which you get.

Just know that the Beretta 1301 is the new hotness and deservedly so.

Last edited by hunterb; 12-06-2020 at 6:22 PM..
Old 12-06-2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterb View Post
I know you said Benelli but this is the correct answer. I have owned both Benelli’s, and your usage will determine which to get of the two. Hunting / clays? M2 with a 26-28 inch barrel minimum. 3gun? M2 with at least a 24 inch barrel. Home defense / range toy? Benelli m4.

But really, get a Beretta 1301 that suits your needs. Either the tactical, Competition or Comp Pro model depending on what you’re going to use it for. Take the savings and buy a Beretta A300 for $600 for a clay shooting gun.

The Beretta 1301 is MUCH lighter, the Benelli m4 is stupid heavy. It’s softer shooting than the M2, and cycles faster than both. Plus, it’s cheaper. But if you’re set on Benelli, let your needs dictate which you get.

Beretta 1301 sure has a lot of positive feedback, but Beretta 1301 tac is almost the same price as M2.
Old 12-06-2020, 8:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As long as it's reliable, the gun doesn't matter that much in 3 gun. It's a matter of who can reload the fastest. If they just left out all the targets in the shotgun sections and you just unloaded and reloaded it, the relative performance would be the same.
Old 12-06-2020, 9:27 PM

Default Benelli M2 or M4?

M2 for versatility M4 for solely home defense or sentry gun.

M2 can serve as a hunting, competition, defense and can be configured many ways, if you want to shoot sabots the m2 has rifled barrels. Field stocks and tactical stocks, ghost ring sights and bead sights, etc.

M4 is limited on upgrades, mainly used as tactical, sentry gun, or home defense. Limited to 18.5” barrel and no rifle barrel available. Much heavier than m2. Field stocks and tactical stocks, ghost ring rights only. Managed recoil like a boss

Both have various rail systems for red dots. Both chambered for 3” shells. Both have recoil tubes and springs in their stocks.
Old 12-06-2020, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Hi OP, I have an M2 with 26” barrel, field stock, and 10 shell tube. Love it.

In my area (sf Bay Area) I cant think of a place off the top of my head to shoot a shotgun with a pistol grip, and there are barrel length minimums also (24” usually). The config I got allows me to participate in clay sports as well as multigun at all the ranges in the area so I can get a good amount of live fire practice with it. Read the rules where you plan to shoot in your area as that could tip you to go M2 by “default”
Old 12-06-2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:

Beretta 1301 Tactical in stock at sportsman for $1118, should i get it before it's gone?
Old 12-06-2020, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmeow View Post
wow thank you very much, sounds like M2 is a better choice for me
Welcome. And yes, if you want to hunt with it too, bust clays, etc., the m2 is more versatile because of the options for barrels...although I've busted plenty of clays with the m4. But many trap/skeet ranges aren't real fond of pistol grips. It really is a shame Benelli never made a longer barrel for the m4. It seems like they'd sell a ton of them but maybe this is their way to get you to buy a second shotgun or something.

Fighter Pilot
Old 12-06-2020, 10:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I really hate shooting my m2. It recoils like a mule
Old 12-06-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osis32 View Post
Compared to what, a fitted gun, a gas operated gun, or a heavier gun, or?

PM me if you want to dump the m2
Old 12-06-2020, 10:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Need help picking one of them, both are great and i've done a lot of reading but want to hear hands on exp from fellow calguners.
Diff $600, 1lb weight, inertial vs gas system, recoil etc...
What is the application?
What will you be doing with the gun?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
What is the application?
What will you be doing with the gun?

For HD
Old 12-06-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Default CGN answer...........Get BothUSELESS POST!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2020, 11:56 PM

Default Look at the M3

It shoots anything since it is a pump and semi auto shotgun, For
HD 7 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber.
Old 12-07-2020, 6:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osis32 View Post
What is the barrel length and does it have a field stock? PM me if you decide to sell because I’d like a back up M2
Old 12-07-2020, 1:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
For HD
Then you want it short as the length is more important inside the house than outdoors in competition/hunting/clay-games.

The action won't matter, but get it with an 18"ish barrel.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-07-2020, 1:54 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

If it's for HD, then either option will work with 18.5" barrel length. If you plan to get something for versatility, then the Versamax is a viable option, but between the two Benellis, I would say the M2. I have had a 1301 Comp, a Versamax with 26" barrel, and I still prefer the Benelli models. I currently still own a M2 and M4, and the M4 is used for HD for my wife.
Old 12-07-2020, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Benelli M1 is the correct answer for the win!

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 12-07-2020, 7:30 PM

Sold my hk marked m1 super 90... and bought a a fn slp competition. Check it out
Old 12-08-2020, 7:43 AM

1301 Tac or Comp FTW
Old 12-08-2020, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Benelli M4 is the way to go... I have one for myself, and one for the wife. It's one of the best guns I own, super fun to shoot, and an absolute work horse.
Old 12-08-2020, 8:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LkPillsburyDude View Post
Sold my hk marked m1 super 90... and bought a a fn slp competition. Check it out
marketed as “competition” but does not come with extended lifter and opened up loading port.

It’s like they painted it blue and called it good?
Old 12-08-2020, 9:30 AM
Calguns Addict

1301 all day every day. That's the reason I'm getting a LTT 1301.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 12-08-2020, 9:31 AM

Everybody hates shotguns until there's an ammo shortage.
Old 12-08-2020, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

For HD?

1. 1301 Tac - I am a Beretta user.
2. Mossberg 590A1 Magpul. My next buy!

IMO, Benelli are just overpriced...

_
Old 12-08-2020, 10:10 AM

I got a great deal on an M2.
Me likey,
patterns the size of a basketball at 15 foot with 9 shot buck.
Inertia very smooth and little recoil with low recoil winchester ranger 9 shot.

Last edited by RTE; 12-08-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Old 12-08-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
For HD?

1. 1301 Tac - I am a Beretta user.
2. Mossberg 590A1 Magpul. My next buy!

IMO, Benelli are just overpriced...

_
how reliable 1301 is since everyone's paying premium for a Benelli for it's reliability and longevity, also holds higher resell value
but we are talking about $1k diff between 1301 and M4
Old 12-08-2020, 11:15 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
how reliable 1301 is since everyone's paying premium for a Benelli for it's reliability and longevity, also holds higher resell value
but we are talking about $1k diff between 1301 and M4
You should be comparing the M2 to the 1301, not the M4, since the M2 and 1301 are gas operated, and the M4 is piston. The action is partly the weight difference, and the M4 has a heavier barrel profile.

My time with the 1301 was fine when the gun was stock, but it simply did not fit me well, so I sold it. The FN was a bit slow in terms of action for me. I think the 1301 was more comparable to my M1S90s, not the M2, as the M2 feels more lively and swings easier. The truth is, as long as you are not using super light loads, the Benelli M1, M2, M4, Beretta 1301, FN SLP, and the Rem Versamax would all do well. The longevity is a different story. I have shot my M1S90 and my SBE 2 more than any other of my shotguns with the exception of my trap specific O/U, but that's different. The SBE 2 has seen nothing but 3 and 3.5 inch heavy steel/bismuth shot since it is my hunting gun. I only this year got a SBE 3 to replace it, and it was only because of the camo and ergos. In the 10 years I hunted with my SBE 2, I have changed one set of springs because the OEM springs were getting slightly rusty from so much water exposure.

Benellis hold their value and have a reputation for a reason. That doesn't mean the other guns aren't as good, or possibly even better for some folks depending on fit, but it's hard to beat a Benelli in my opinion.

Jerry
Old 12-08-2020, 11:26 AM

The Benellis, Berettas and FN/Winchester semiauto shotguns are all very good.

M2 is inertia and the rest are gas operated.

In reality, you should buy what you can find in stock for sale.

Gas guns are smoother shooting than inertia guns, but cleaning gas guns is a pain unless you let go of your OCD.

Just for a data point, we have hunted a Beretta 390 and Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 (just an M2 with 3.5 inch chamber) for almost 20 years each, shooting thousands of high velocity steel waterfowl loads at 1550-1600 FPS and heavy payload turkey shells.

Neither gun has had a single broken part or malfunction and have been seriously abused, dropped, rained and snowed on, covered in mud, hunted below zero and above 115 degrees.

I would like to buy a new shotgun just because, but can not justify it. There is no wrong choice.

Last edited by Elgatodeacero; 12-08-2020 at 11:29 AM..
Old 12-08-2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
marketed as “competition” but does not come with extended lifter and opened up loading port.

It’s like they painted it blue and called it good?
Changed sights, changed pistons. Loading is easier than m1, and with the larger capacity no need to ghost load. Kicks way less and cycles fasted than m1. Shotgun sights and irons. Your experiences?
Old 12-08-2020, 6:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

1301 all day. Absolutely no LOGICAL reason to pay the extra $1000 for the Benelli.

And notice almost every person still recommending the m4 has NOT shot or owned a 1301. Just defending their own bad financial decision. I used to be one of them. Then i picked up a 1301 and was honest with myself.

Last edited by hunterb; 12-11-2020 at 12:03 PM..
Old 12-08-2020, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

1301 Tactical - an incredible weapon. You can trick it out with a tube extension, pistol grip, rails and all the fun stuff. Enjoy!
Old 12-08-2020, 6:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
You should be comparing the M2 to the 1301, not the M4, since the M2 and 1301 are gas operated, and the M4 is piston. The action is partly the weight difference, and the M4 has a heavier barrel profile.
Wrong! The Benelli M2 is recoil/Inertia-Driven® System shotgun. M4 is piston-driven Auto-Regulating Gas-Operated (A.R.G.O.) system was designed for and approved by the U.S. Marine Corps. BTW...any "piston driven" firearm IS GAS DRIVEN!

https://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/...tical-shotguns

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 12-09-2020 at 6:17 AM..
Old 12-08-2020, 7:14 PM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
1301 all day. Absolutely no LOGICAL reason to pay the extra $1000 for the Benelli.

And notice almost every person still recommending the m4 has shot or owned a 1301. Just defending their own bad financial decision. I used to be one of them. Then i picked up a 1301 and was honest with myself.
What if it was the only semi auto anything on the shelf?

That’s why I bought it way back when o was selling all the firearms. It’s still my favorite firearm.