Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-11-2020, 9:40 AM

Does anyone know if there is a shooting position restriction on each side? For instance, is pistol shooting or standing only? What about rifle side?
I am hoping both ranges with allow standing and sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2020, 4:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't know the details of pistol shooting on the rifle side, just that you had to be approved. That just may be for starting out as the get the bugs worked out. I believe the 15 yd limit is because that is all they built, 15 yds to the berm! Maybe it will all make sense once they reopen? I don't know if the rifle side will allow prone, sitting and standing? Sitting for sure. Chabot was nice because you could take all rifle positions.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 02-11-2020, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

15yd limit would suck. But maybe they did the math on usage before and the 25yd pistol was underutilized.
Old 02-11-2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post
15yd limit would suck. But maybe they did the math on usage before and the 25yd pistol was underutilized.
I dont know the exact numbers but the majority of the pistol side was 25 yards with the balance being 15 yards maybe 10 spots. I could be off as it has been years on that side of the range.

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Old 02-11-2020, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, but most of the activity was on the short range. Always plenty of room at 25 yds! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtv3062 View Post
I dont know the exact numbers but the majority of the pistol side was 25 yards with the balance being 15 yards maybe 10 spots. I could be off as it has been years on that side of the range.
Old 02-11-2020, 5:36 PM

Hope they don’t have lame usage rules like Livermore. Needs to be like it was 3 years ago. I’d shoot pistol and try and time the cease fire and run over and get my rifle target set. I’d get mad when I missed the buzzer and have to wait for the next cease fire.

Any rumblings on price? $7 for members was pretty nice.
Old 02-11-2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
This is exactly it. Even during the busiest days you could always find a spot on the 25 yard line as it was almost never full. normal Joe's don't want to shoot pistols at 25 yards.

"wildhawker
People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."
Old 02-11-2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, but most of the activity was on the short range. Always plenty of room at 25 yds! LOL
LOL, I quoted you instead Brasscase, sorry for that

Old 02-11-2020, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I don't know the details of pistol shooting on the rifle side, just that you had to be approved.
The reason for the "approval" was the only option for the typical shooter was 50 or 100 yds. Not many can shoot pistol at those distances without hitting the target next to them...

Close to before the range shut down there were a couple of lanes in the rifle standing area (range shack side) that had holes in the ground for setting up a portable target stand. I remember Doc used to use one.
Old 02-11-2020, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
Hope they donít have lame usage rules like Livermore.

Any rumblings on price? $7 for members was pretty nice.
This would probably be a deal breaker for me and I fear the influence from Livermore may lead to it. My trips to the range aren't just about shooting. It's more of a social thing as I live about 80 miles away and like to hang out there shooting the bull with my friends with some shooting interspersed.

As for entry fee I would expect it to be $10.
Old 02-11-2020, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowking View Post
This would probably be a deal breaker for me and I fear the influence from Livermore may lead to it. My trips to the range aren't just about shooting. It's more of a social thing as I live about 80 miles away and like to hang out there shooting the bull with my friends with some shooting interspersed.

As for entry fee I would expect it to be $10.
Do you remember what it was at before? I'm worried that this time around to make up for all of the range development costs that the entry fee will be real high.
Old 02-11-2020, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

$7 for members and $14 for non members of memory serves me right. No time limit. The range was bringing in plenty of $$ when it was open. Basically the RP range supported the whole operation and they have been burning through all the $$ socked away.
Old 02-11-2020, 9:32 PM

I was at the USI multi-purpose range. I was told there by the treasurer there would be a 4hr time limit. Whether it would be enforced was another question probably depending if there were persons waiting. My understanding is Livermore is 2hrs, however I was never personally asked to leave, but did see people asked if they arrived earlier and there was still a line.

Although, I personally like the social aspect and being able to stretch a bit, I can understand if people are waiting the need to acquire revenue from the lanes. 4hrs seems a fair trade off.

I heard the cost will be closer to $20.
But not a hard direct quote by the range. I wish they would post the up coming rules and pricing, prior to opening. It seems like those items should be nailed down by now since it was suppose to open months back.

Old 02-11-2020, 9:57 PM
Veteran Member

The closest range to me is GFOS in Dublin, and having to pay $25 for a single hour at a 25 yd indoor range is saddening, so I'll gladly pay $20 for 4 hours at USI.

The closing of USI and Chabot is the main reason why I have only shot my guns once in the last 5 years. Now that USI will be re-opening I can find another reason to shoot more often.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero M View Post
Probably $10 for members, $20 for non-members.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:10 PM

@gowking. Thank you for clarification. That matches what I heard. Which seems quite fair pricing relative to the other ranges in the area.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
But not a hard direct quote by the range. I wish they would post the up coming rules and pricing, prior to opening. It seems like those items should be nailed down by now since it was suppose to open years ago.
Fixed it for you.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-14-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spddrcr View Post
If you havent don'e the orientation class yet make sure you sign up to do it soon.

I was one of the instructors for the class and it books out months in advance. Since the range is currently not open it has been manageable, but as soon as the place opens expect to see the classes sold out for months as everyone want's to play.

I'm sending you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-14-2020, 12:06 PM
Peddler/ vagabond
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdigs View Post
I'm sending you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Can I get some info?
I've been wanting to join but not sure when or where to start.
I live like 20 min from usi.
Old 02-14-2020, 1:41 PM

For those wondering, if you go to the usi website there is a listing for all the clubs. Choose whichever club meets your needs.
If you are interested in the action pistol orientation, you can get info and sign up for the class at diabloactionpistol.com

"wildhawker
Old 02-14-2020, 9:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I was at the USI multi-purpose range. I was told there by the treasurer there would be a 4hr time limit. Whether it would be enforced was another question probably depending if there were persons waiting. My understanding is Livermore is 2hrs, however I was never personally asked to leave, but did see people asked if they arrived earlier and there was still a line.

Although, I personally like the social aspect and being able to stretch a bit, I can understand if people are waiting the need to acquire revenue from the lanes. 4hrs seems a fair trade off.

But not a hard direct quote by the range. I wish they would post the up coming rules and pricing, prior to opening. It seems like those items should be nailed down by now since it was suppose to open months back.

Livermore has a 2hr limit that they may use if they develop a long wait list which hasnít happened in quite a while, years actually. New USI check in system will track shooters by time and bill you for overage I was told?! Livermore is 20 for public and 10 for members so I would expect USI to stay close to that.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:49 PM

Hmm, I didnít hear about the overage.

As I mentioned before I wish USI would publish their upcoming cost structure and rules so we could be prepared. If there is no one waiting, it seems shame they would charge you for continuing to shoot . I can understand if they would want to move you along because your holding up new business.

Admittedly, I havenít been to Livermore range in awhile. I either been plinking at USI multipurpose range (.22LR) or Los Altos Range for shotgun or centerfire. It has been probably over a year since going to Livermore, but there used to be lines to get in, on the weekend mornings.

Old 02-15-2020, 8:14 AM

While I'm happy to be wrong about the range never opening, it seems they have taken a perfectly good range and added the worst aspects of other ranges.
1. Time limits (Livermore)
2. Routing all shooters through an enclosed building and through 3 doors to get access to the firing line. Big crowds, carts and dollies will make this a cluster f*** during the busy times (Metcalf)
3. Assigned lanes and control of who is where on the range. No more just going from the rifle to the pistol line as you wish.

It's a nice range and will probably be great on week days.

Target stands on the rifle side at least appear to be movable between distances so that's nice. (Sac valley)

I assume these controls will be implemented on the shotgun side also.

PG
Old 02-15-2020, 11:51 AM

^^ We haven’t heard about moving from pistol to rifle yet. Let’s not spread info that haven’t been confirmed by USI.

They’d be smart not to institute a rule disallowing shooting pistol then moving to rifle side. That’s THE largest gripe with Livermore.

Main building entrance doesn’t seem be a problem. Don’t bring a cart and every single gun you have. Arts and dollies is overkill for a couple hours in the range. Bring a few the. Next weekend bring the others.

I don’t think we can really bash what’s ‘potentially’ wrong until it’s opened and shots are fired.

USI has assigned lanes, you just didn’t write it down, you picked your own. I can’t tell if there is two pistol distances but if there is I’m sure moving from one to another with approval wouldn’t be a problem.

They better let me pickup up own brass.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm not sure that USI will enforce time limits, just that the feature is available to them. Livermore had to do that after Chabot closed since USI was already closed in order to serve more people on the days when waiting lists were used.

Livermore lets you move from pistol to rifle and back again as long as no one is already waiting for a bench. Weekends can get busy, especially Sundays. But, range business has been declining all over. Most ranges are off 20 - 30% since 2017. The CA laws scare people and they don't know if they have legal guns or if they can buy ammo.

USI will be busy, very busy until the new wears off. I would expect much, but not quite all of the business that went to Livermore and elsewhere to return.

I think that we really might be at the infamous "Two Weeks!" now, here's hoping!

Old 02-15-2020, 11:12 PM

Ok, I am having trouble enrolling in the Diablo action pistol orientation class.
Getting an error message that the page does not exist.
Is there another way to sign? A number to call, or someone I can talk with ftf?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2020, 7:37 PM

Drove through the range today. Not a single bench on the rifle line. And there was some moveable target holders but no 50/100 yard target holders built yet. Still gonna be a while I'de imagine.
Old 02-17-2020, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Ok, I am having trouble enrolling in the Diablo action pistol orientation class.
Getting an error message that the page does not exist.
Is there another way to sign? A number to call, or someone I can talk with ftf?

You can go out to the action pistol range just about any weekend to get info from those in the "Know". just make sure to bring ear and eye protection with you.
I don't have the actual # on hand but will do some digging to see what I can come up with.

"wildhawker
Old 02-17-2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spddrcr View Post
You can go out to the action pistol range just about any weekend to get info from those in the "Know". just make sure to bring ear and eye protection with you.
I don't have the actual # on hand but will do some digging to see what I can come up with.
Normally, it is two Thursday's and Two Saturday's a month for practice. Check the website calendar at

https://diablorodandgun.com/calendar/

in that the normal second and fourth week monthly dates don't track for February and March.

It appears that the next orientation for Action Steel is 3/7/2020 per the calendar. When I took the class in August, I think sign ups started only two or three weeks in advance.

ARFrog
Old 02-17-2020, 9:01 PM

Sign-ups for the Diablo action Pistol orientation are on Practiscore.com now. Registration opened 2/13 and 9 of the 16 spots were filled by last Saturday. It's Under the Club section "Diablo Action Pistol". You must create a Practiscore profile first to use the Web site. You also have to go there to sign up for matches.

https://practiscore.com/clubs/diablo...20-orientation

The Orientation class is listed under "events" on the club page.
You cannot sign -up from a cell phone, something about the web sight won't let you pay the registration fee from a smart phone. You also cannot sign up without paying the class fee on-line $30. Desk top or laptop works.
Email: Support@diabloactionpistol.com emails go to Blade Benson and Chris Payne
Old 02-17-2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
Normally, it is two Thursday's and Two Saturday's a month for practice. Check the website calendar at

https://diablorodandgun.com/calendar/

in that the normal second and fourth week monthly dates don't track for February and March.

It appears that the next orientation for Action Steel is 3/7/2020 per the calendar. When I took the class in August, I think sign ups started only two or three weeks in advance.
My point was there is someone there every single weekend besides the practice and matches. we also do the woman's shooting classes as well as other events.

"wildhawker
Old 02-17-2020, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I signed up for the action pistol orientation.

What can be expected of the class? What's the essentials to bring besides gun, belt, mags, eye, ear and ammo?
Old 02-17-2020, 10:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Browning View Post

What can be expected of the class? What's the essentials to bring besides gun, belt, mags, eye, ear and ammo?
They cover the rules and things that can get you disqualified, where the safe areas are, where you can handle your gun and holster up as well as warning about the USI rules prohibiting leaving with a holstered (if not a CCW) gun. Then they take you out and let you shoot. They will also give you some tips about match and Steel Challenge etiquette. They do not teach you how to draw or shoot as you are expected to possess those gun handling skills already.

At least that was how my class went.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Perfect, thanks.
Old 02-19-2020, 5:45 PM

Well the Action pistol range is updating the R.O. list and making sure they have people available, so something must be happening

"wildhawker
Old 02-19-2020, 5:56 PM

Quote:

I went to orientation about 10 years ago. Learned a lot and had a lot of fun.
The previous responder covered it well. Other essentials: gun holster, mag holster(s) or speedloaders depending on what you're shooting, sunscreen, a hat, and more ammo than you originally planned
Old 02-21-2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:

I signed up also. Looking forward to it.
I was wondering though, maybe someone can answer. They asked what gun I'll lb using, and I close my EDC, but it may not be the best gun for this event.
Should I bring other guns, or just the one I listed?
My EDC is a small S&W shield.

Old 02-21-2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
I was wondering though, maybe someone can answer. They asked what gun I'll lb using, and I close my EDC, but it may not be the best gun for this event.

EDC!!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/yaYV8i5n1OjZe/source.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/yaYV8i5n1OjZe/source.gif

Last edited by jtv3062; 02-21-2020 at 9:34 PM..
Old 02-21-2020, 9:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

So what you need is an OWB holster for steel challenge since much of it depends on decent draw times to be competitive. Smaller CCW guns aren't often seen in this type of venue because of that and barrel length since there are several courses where you will need to be able to hit the longer shots. The longer shots are 18, 20,25, 30 & 35 yds and the plate sizes are 10" & 12" rounds and an 18 x 24 rectangle. Guns tend to be full size. Your class most likely would be Production (PROD) and you are unclassified (U).

My opinion is that the striker fired guns have the advantage. SA guns are drawn cocked and locked and DA/SA guns are drawn with the hammer down so the first shot is in DA. From what I see the Glocks are very popular and Springfield's, hammer fired the 1911's and SA CZ's. But there is a fair variety of others guns as well.

It looks easier that it is! It is also soooo much fun, paper targets will seem pedestrian after this.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Bring something other then the shield. I don't for see steel challenge lasting after the range opens back up, Usually it was only a summer series event that lasted a couple months. Whatever you plan to shoot for USPSA or IDPA is what you should plan on bringing out.

Anything full-size with a 10 round or higher magazine would be good. When I started shooting uspsa I used a H&K usp 40 compact. it was hell and did me no good. After switching up to a full size cz I was actually able to win a few competitions in my group. I would recommend whatever you can shoot well with 10 or greater rounds.

"wildhawker