Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 10-20-2022, 5:43 PM

There is some brass listed on gun broker. you have to sort thru a bunch of other 32 cal cases and unrelated stuff but it's there. Around a 1.00 each
Old 10-20-2022, 5:45 PM

I mean that’s how i define “turret” press.
JMO. All the major makers have a reasonable turret press. I’m not sure you need all that stuff if you are just gonna do 32-20. I would work on the KISS principle. I load small smokeless loads so the cases really dont get very dirty. I just wipe ‘em off. Some dry lube. Resize, prime, expand, powder, bullet. Crimp tho i am not sure my crimp die does diddly. The bullets i use have a cannelure anyways.

The press, the dies, some dry lube, and whatever method you are gonna use for the powder (scale and dispense) and a caliper. Not sure you need a whole lot more other than powder and boolits
Old 10-20-2022, 6:04 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you're new to handloading ammunition, you should NOT be concerned with speed of building your cartridges.

You will be best served (as will anyone else in your vicinity when shooting) by learning the process using a single-stage press, or, *if you must*, a turret press but the principles of setting up your dies to precise measurements still applies.

Please... just as in shooting: technique first, then accuracy, then speed. It takes some time. Be safe. Make really good ammo.

NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked
Old 10-20-2022, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Apples, couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 10-20-2022, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
If you're new to handloading ammunition, you should NOT be concerned with speed of building your cartridges.

You will be best served (as will anyone else in your vicinity when shooting) by learning the process using a single-stage press, or, *if you must*, a turret press but the principles of setting up your dies to precise measurements still applies.

Please... just as in shooting: technique first, then accuracy, then speed. It takes some time. Be safe. Make really good ammo.
Great point... and to be clear, I wasn't wanting that because I want to rush or anything. I am very measured when I learn new things. Especially things related to firearms.

My thinking was more thinking about down the line, once I have my chops. Was wondering if it would be cost effective to just get one from the start.

Either way, I'll take your advice!
Old 10-20-2022, 7:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Well said my friend.... I've been working on 200 rds of 223 that my son and his friends shot 2 weeks ago. Deprime, tumble, size, trim, tumble, prime, charge, seat a bullet and crimp. All on a single stage press. It's so much fun

I know for sure it will be done right

MLC, First 3
Old 10-21-2022, 7:01 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophei View Post

Great point... and to be clear, I wasn't wanting that because I want to rush or anything. I am very measured when I learn new things. Especially things related to firearms.

My thinking was more thinking about down the line, once I have my chops. Was wondering if it would be cost effective to just get one from the start.

I understand what you're saying.

A single-stage press will always have value. It can be used in addition to any other type of press, for things like pulling bullets from handloads that other people have made and with with you'd like to use the components to build your own charges and/or your own bullets.

A turret press is simply a fancy single stage, allowing for die changes in less time, so there's that.

Although I've never set up and run a progressive press, it is my humble opinion that anyone who'd like to should first learn each step of the process *by hand*, using a single- or a turret press. Too, "historical" cartridges such as the .32-20 have brass that may be considered fragile to the reloading process. The cartridge deserves the tender ministrations of those who use the single-stage press with care and consideration.

Old 10-21-2022, 7:27 AM
Veteran Member

Chris, you're firing on all cylinders with your posts. Well said!
Just got back from Idaho. Pooped! Will yak at you guys soon.

MLC
Old 10-21-2022, 7:36 AM

I've considered that press to go along with my trusty old Rock Chucker. Have also considered a Dillon progressive for 357M, 45acp and 223.

After years of reloading, I'll echo what is said on CGN often - go get a couple reloading manuals and read the instructions first.

I would do the 32-20 single stage. Have not loaded for that style, like the 38-40 and 44-40. But all my research indicates the necks are pretty fragile. Easy enough to reload, but you have to be careful in the process.

Ken Waters Pet Loads has some great narrative on those bottleneck cartridges...

Quote:
That is good advice. Was my definition of turret correct above? I could do a handful of other calibers, so fast is good, but the 32-20 is the only ammo I shoot that is getting hard to find. That's a big driver.

I keep reading good things about this one...
https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7810311.../dp/B071H4MLXW
Old 10-21-2022, 7:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
Chris, you're firing on all cylinders with your posts. Well said!
Just got back from Idaho. Pooped! Will yak at you guys soon.

MLC
Pictures of a dead deer, pronghorn, elk, bear or moose please.....Fish are acceptable

MLC, First 3
Old 10-21-2022, 7:50 AM

yeah I mean almost everyone starts on a single stage or should anyways. i use a turret for like 9mm and 357 which is much less persnickety, but even with the turret I slow way down when I'm doing 32-20
Old 10-21-2022, 12:57 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
you're firing on all cylinders

I wish.

Coupla burnt valves here, worn rings there... it's a wonder I don't just sieze up. Oh, that's right: I do change the earl once in awhile.

Either way, thanks, Tom. Glad you're back. We have some lead-chuckin' to do.

Old 10-21-2022, 1:02 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:

I have neglected to mention this wonderful, portable! hand press. It's made by Buchanan Precision Machine, a shop which I have visited. I can attest to it's quality manufacture, but I have yet to purchase one. It's on the list!

Perhaps you might beat me to it:

It's in a post, here, where the topic is .45-70 but the subject matter can easily apply to .32-20 or any other cartridge. Check it out!

American made, and by a real American!

Old 10-21-2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
I have neglected to mention this wonderful, portable! hand press. It's made by Buchanan Precision Machine, a shop which I have visited. I can attest to it's quality manufacture, but I have yet to purchase one. It's on the list!

Perhaps you might beat me to it:

It's in a post, here, where the topic is .45-70 but the subject matter can easily apply to .32-20 or any other cartridge. Check it out!

American made, and by a real American!
That is lovely. The build looks incredible. Seems like working a press that way could get tiring as a sole press, so maybe that would be better in addition to something for home?
Old 10-21-2022, 1:22 PM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

That was my impression but I am told it is very easy to use. We'll see.

Next time I'm up that way I might bring some dies and some brass and test it.

Old 10-21-2022, 2:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That is lovely. The build looks incredible. Seems like working a press that way could get tiring as a sole press, so maybe that would be better in addition to something for home?
I acquired a press like that (not the same brand) a long time ago when I bought a box of "junk" several years ago for $50 (the box included two RCBS Li'l Dandy powder measures with two complete sets of rotors, primers, and other stuff).

I was planning to use it to make test loads while at the range, but it's currently lost in the closet somewhere.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 10-21-2022, 2:58 PM

Anyone have thoughts on the Dillon 550 press?
Old 10-21-2022, 3:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Anyone have thoughts on the Dillon 550 press?
Nice press. Might be overkill for what you're looking for.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 10-21-2022, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
Nice press. Might be overkill for what you're looking for.
It seems like good quality, which is a plus. I also figure that moving forward, it is a good platform for multiple calibers. I also shoot Mauser 8mm, 30-30, 308, 9mm, 556, and 7.62 x 39.

Any negatives with it? Or maybe something similar, also good quality, and cheaper?
Old 10-22-2022, 1:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats on getting the 1873. Hopefully, it will become a family heirloom.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:33 AM

Reload. 32-20 is one of about 18 rounds that I reload for. It's easypeasy and fun. Reloading to me is therapy. If you go that route, start out with a single stage press--too much to go wrong with a progressive. I've used a single stage for 45 years and it's NEVER failed me.
Jon
Old 12-19-2022, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone know how old these are?…..I’m thinking they were produced in the last 20 years or so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1F54EE1-7ED0-4077-992B-F3C93638DBA0.jpg (19.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-19-2022, 8:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
Anyone know how old these are?…..I’m thinking they were produced in the last 20 years or so.
You may find this of interest:
https://cartridgecollectors.org/docu...-Box-Dates.pdf

From that, 1974 to 1996 seems about right but you have to look at more details to narrow it down more.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 12-19-2022, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
Reload. 32-20 is one of about 18 rounds that I reload for. It's easypeasy and fun. Reloading to me is therapy. If you go that route, start out with a single stage press--too much to go wrong with a progressive. I've used a single stage for 45 years and it's NEVER failed me.
Jon
This in spades!^^^

MLC
Old 12-19-2022, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
You may find this of interest:
https://cartridgecollectors.org/docu...-Box-Dates.pdf

From that, 1974 to 1996 seems about right but you have to look at more details to narrow it down more.
Thank you for that.
I also found a bunch of other old ammunition boxes, including some .45-60 UMC that my grandfather owned. Not a typo, actual .45-60 cartridges.
Old 12-20-2022, 6:34 PM

While I agree with this

Quote:

I disagree with this.

Quote:

You will be best served (as will anyone else in your vicinity when shooting) by learning the process using a single-stage press...
While there is nothing wrong technically with this approach, it actually isn't required. Learning on a progressive if that is really what you want is just as safe.... IF you FOLLOW the first bit of advice.

I was about 21 when I started reloading. Got a crash course from a local USPSA shooter on a Dillon, about 1 hour at most... then bought a Dillon 550B and haven't looked back. In over 3 decades NEVER had a squib load...ever.

You have to know your self. If "you" think a single will be easier...not sure I agree, but that is what "you" think, "you" will likely be more comfortable with one.

If you would rather spend once, and the press "you" really want is a progressive, buy the press "you" really want.

IF as a new re loader "you" choose to go with a progressive as long as "you" follow the following you will be fine.

1. The speed of a progressive press is a side affect, bonus you work up to.

2. Nothing says just because you can, you must run more than one piece of brass at a time while learning. follow that one brass through each station, double check everything.

3. If you have any doubts, stop, discard the current piece of brass you are loading. start over. Discard means dumping the power charge, pulling the bullet and dumping the powder charge etc. then reusing the components.

4. if you get distracted and loose track of where you are, all brass on the press is pulled, broken back down to components, and your start over again. NEVER EVER if you get distracted assume you know truly where you left off.

The number 1 reason I disagree people can't start with a progressive, it will cause them to spend money twice. The second, I actually find the advice a touch on the insulting side. I don't mind someone "feeling" insulted if the advice truly is safer, but I have yet to be convinced a new re loader can't be safe starting out with a progressive if that is truly what they want.
Old 12-20-2022, 6:45 PM

Quote:

My opinion YES!!! it is more cost effective to get what you want from the start.

You can learn on a turret or progressive just as safely as you can a single stage.

Since you indicate you are cautious, you will be just fine getting something you truly want from the get go. you will also safe your self some money.

If you are interested in a progressive, I highly recommend the Dillon 550. One of the most cartridge versatile presses out there. I use it as a pseudo single stage with the benefit of I set the die once. And of course as a progressive. Depends on what I want to do.

Main pro to a single stage, cost. they are cheaper.
Main con to a progressive or turret, they cost more

They are all equally safe IF YOU are safe, cautious and build your skill at a rational pace.
Old 12-20-2022, 6:54 PM

for brass, https://www.starlinebrass.com/32-20-brass/ it's cataloged, but not likely a commonly run product.
Old 12-22-2022, 8:29 AM

Quote:
You will be best served (as will anyone else in your vicinity when shooting) by learning the process using a single-stage press, or, *if you must*, a turret press…..”
That sounds like my grandmother talking. Do you know this person to be less than intelligent?
Old 12-22-2022, 9:15 AM

JMO. If you are learning with 32-20. Yeah single stage or turret. The cases are relatively fragile IME at the neck. Vs say any of the “usual suspects”
Old 12-22-2022, 11:04 AM
-DVC- Mojave Lever Crew

Quote:
...IF YOU are safe, cautious and build your skill at a rational pace

Indeed.

I just think it'd be easier to build those skills in a mechanically-uncluttered environment, hence my recommendation to start with a single-stage or even a turret (which is simply a more-convienent-to-use single-stage).

To each his own.