Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-01-2023, 8:12 PM

Default Need elk outfitter recommendation

New elk hunter here. Thought I'd spend the money with an outfitter since it's my first time. No points

Please recommend good guides for bow and rifle hunts.

I have hunted pigs, bear, blacktail and mule, with both rifles and bows.

Any other pointers would be appreciated as well!
Old 12-02-2023, 2:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What state? Try google . What kind of shape are you in. Can you hike miles with pack and gun or do you need babying. How do you handle cols weather and snow.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:47 PM

Don't mind which state really as long as someone with no points can get a good opportunity. Don't mind paying for outfitter allocated tags or private land owner tags if necessary (but nothing crazy like those california tags). Also prefer archery which may make tag situation a bit easier I assume.

In reasonable shape, mid 40s, but I am no Cameron Hanes. Wouldn't mind some hiking but would be good to have horse / 4x4 to spike camp. Any pointers are appreciated!
Old 12-03-2023, 12:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I get notifications from urge2hunt.com . Some bull hunts 4 guided cow guided 2k. Solo hunt more money. Need to put a group together to get deals.

Last edited by edgerly779; 12-06-2023 at 2:06 PM..
Old 12-03-2023, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

No matter who you select really spend some time checking references. I’ve hunted elk more than 30 times, frequently using an outfitter. I’ve been burned the last several times. Guides and cooks quiting the day before my hunt and outfitters who tell you they have thousands of acres of quality private land when they don’t. Once they have your $$ your basically **** out of luck. Having said that, I’ve also had some great outfitters.
Old 12-04-2023, 1:15 AM

would you mind PMing me names of a few of good ones you have used in the recent years?
Old 12-05-2023, 11:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
No matter who you select really spend some time checking references.
This is sage advice.

I've only ever used a guide for pigs, and even then only a couple of times long ago. But - I have had many friends get burned with outfitters they've selected, for deer, elk, and wild boar.

It seems to me they are a bit like contractors - they talk a good game, but once they get you money the can be problematic.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 12-05-2023, 11:40 PM

Thank you bigbossman!

what's the best way of checking references? I don't quite trust the references they provide.

bowsite.com seems to have good crowd-sourcing independent reviews. Are there any other good resources?
Old 12-06-2023, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luf2113 View Post
Thank you bigbossman!

what's the best way of checking references? I don't quite trust the references they provide.

bowsite.com seems to have good crowd-sourcing independent reviews. Are there any other good resources?
There are ways to make sure they are not so shady . Length of tenure of their business is a great indicator. And fully guided services on private land if they have been hunting on the same ground for 5+ years you are likely in good shape . Do not however ever ever ever buy tags from a broker unless you are an absolute super sleuth.